4 Cores, 4GB Ram, GF 8800GTX - Does it really help?

Thx, this sounds promising! Means, I will be able to do some pvp more successfully again. :)
My assumption on the sometimes happend freezes of 5-30 sec is: The EU Client on my local PC does the freezes, because of overload...:mad:
I am really curious if the freezes are still there? I will report here in this thread. I will build up the computer in the next days, btw.

For sure, 711! I will never use Vista before SR-1. :D

Ah, another information, I selected this Motherboard:
Tyan Tempest i5000XT (S2696) with SAS option
http://www.tyan.com.tw/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=43
(Dont know if Link is against EF rules)

When I got this kind of lag I do not see any activity on my Comupter but see my Router sending and receiving Data constantly. I do not think it is client side lag.

The Lag you get while entering Shops etc. I think will be reduced consderably, I mean the drop in Framrate when you enter or the Lag at Solfaris when you look at the trees where my Framerate drops considerably oposed to when I look at the ground there (not seeing any trees)

Hello Archangel
Im from Germany too and i have the same Delay/Lag than u have.

I have differnts Computers and a Notebook and its all the same(with lag) but what i notice is i have only much Problems during Peaktimes.

In the Night or very early Morning i have no Problems and no delay/lag.
So maybe its something with our germany Internetprovider(telecom backbone)

my plan is find someone with a different Internetprovider/backbone (example arcor) and run EU on his Internetconnection and see if the lag/delay ist still the same there.

If u found out something that helps pls let me know im intrested in solve this problem too

regards

Hermann

Costs:
Computer costs not easy to assume, because I have the most. Lets assume about 3200 EUR without monitor if you buy all new.

At least your new PC will cost less than 10% of what you spent ingame then ;)

@ arch, isn't xeon for servers? I don't know what else you are going to do with your pc, but a server combined with hardcore game pc?

Dual Core is nice! But: :D

Professional servers are much faster than usual PCs because they have more parallel structures. E.g. the mainboard I bought has not Dual Channel Ram, it has four channels = Double speed. There are more PCI lanes available, you can use up to 32 GB Ram, and so on.

Quad Core is available too. But the current Intel Quad Core is only 30-40% faster than Dual-Core. So two Dual-Core-Xeons are much faster with the double Ram speed.

Reason is: I am using PC's very heavily. E.g. I am doing much with VMware. There you need many processors and very much RAM.

As I said, I hate slow PCs. I like to play EU, and in the background Outlook can synchonize and a virtual machine is running. This all without any freezes...:D

to test your new comp: tp to segna 3 minor tp jump north,land in a million argos in the trees if youre lucky theres an ossi to ;)

if you can shoot and fap there without delay mission accomplished :wtg:

thats the worst place in pe for me atleast ;)

I don't know about lag in EU.. but I am loving it! Can I have one too? :yay:

This will be my new configuration:

Processors:......2 x Intel Xeon 5150 (total 4 cores)
Ram:...............4 GB (fullybuffered)
Graphics:.........Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX (768 MB)
HDD:...............5 x 500 GB (Raid 0 for System Partition and Raid 5 for Data Partition)

I have already done some tests with EU and it does not seem to benefit from having multiple CPU cores. I have a Core 2 Duo @ 2.4Ghz and the second core is never more than 10% loaded while running EU. This would suggest that a Quad core would make no difference at all compared to a dual core, since EU appears to run mainly on one thread.

The problem you have is that EU will just run on a single CPU core to start with. Do this test, open up Task Manager, on the Entropia.exe process right click and select "Set Affinity ...". If gives a dialog to select which processors to run that process on. Don't select or deselect anything, and but just hit ok. Have a look at your processor utilisation now... It should be more evenly spread. On mine its about 70% on the first processor and 20-30 on the second and little bits and pieces on the other two.

I run a 2 Dual Cores (so 4 processors), if setting the affinity to only CPU 0, and 1, I get about 60% utilisation on both. It's something to play around with to see if you get different results, and if/how it affect the game.

And from what I can tell EU runs on 11 threads.

oh... and nice system :D

Shaz Monaro

How much this config helps will depend on how crappy your previous rig is though... if you spent the same $$ 2-3 years ago, then the performance gain should be minimal.

The problem you have is that EU will just run on a single CPU core to start with. Do this test, open up Task Manager, on the Entropia.exe process right click and select "Set Affinity ...". If gives a dialog to select which processors to run that process on. Don't select or deselect anything, and but just hit ok. Have a look at your processor utilisation now... It should be more evenly spread. On mine its about 70% on the first processor and 20-30 on the second and little bits and pieces on the other two.
You're right! I wonder if you can make this the default behaviour without having to do this manual change each time?

wait 'til you find out what XP does w/4 gigs of ram ... it will not get the full use out of that much ram, unfortunately ;)

Strange i don't notice that. For me the display of the mob is the worst part. Maybe because my gfx card is not that good.
Yes , close mobs display do reduce FPS.
But take something that show FPS , like fraps.
Go in an apartement for exemple , dont move, then play with an item in your hand to make it show up.What ever is your configuration , what ever is the item , your fps will decrease by factor 2.It does not seems related to the item itself , but more to the code.
In past ( i dont knbow for now , because it was fixed) we had exactly same problem with map.. little yellow cross , was animated very slow. right after the VU 7.0 , it sutendly become light speed.. like a wonderfull bug was fixed...
I think i have never enjoyed hunting in EU as much as i did in VU 7.0...

Until know I had a Raid 0 of 3 x 15k Seagate Fibrechannel SCSI Disks only for the system partition.

Dont know if I can overclock this Xeons. I will test it... :)
And you run 64bit XP? indeed? it is running with EU?

Sure, opening storage depends on speed of EU-program installation. Therefore I am well settled.

I am very curious about the result, when I am ready with build up new PC...

aint RAID 0 only 2 disk... you main the mix called Raid 0+1 , wich with 3 disck it twice speed and make data redondant ?

I guess you can overclosk those pross.. dunno , but well if you can not , its point less use them , since normal dual core care be overcloked easy 30% and with som good stuff with it ( fan , ram) you can overclosk it to 50%

As runing xp64 yes i do , and EU run very good...

And yes , EU use only 1 core , sadly.
but 1 core from a dual core 64 bit at 3.4 ghtz is way faster then the full pross p4 hyperthreaded 32bit at 3.4 ghtz.

For the disk , it help to reduse lag , since EU very often call the HD for info like texture, and also read music.looks dumb , but cache management on EU aint the best around...

wait 'til you find out what XP does w/4 gigs of ram ... it will not get the full use out of that much ram, unfortunately ;)

Why shouldn't it ? I have 4 gig in my workstation desktop, no problem at all as long as it's an 64-bit CPU. If you how ever have problem then it's most likley a configuration problem.

If it's an 32-bit CPU then the explaination is simple. A 32-bit CPU can only allocate memory addresses for 4 Gb memory in total. But that includes your graphics card memory. So let's say your graphics card have 512 Mb video memory, then your CPU needs to allocate that memory first, and there after have addresses left for 3.5 Gb of your total 4 Gb of RAM. Then also every PCI card takes a few memory adresses, such as sound card, TV card, disc controller card and so on.

Last edited:
Why shouldn't it ? I have 4 gig in my workstation desktop, no problem at all as long as it's an 64-bit CPU. If you how ever have problem then it's most likley a configuration problem.

If it's an 32-bit CPU then the explaination is simple. A 32-bit CPU can only allocate memory addresses for 4 Gb memory in total. But that includes your graphics card memory. So let's say your graphics card have 512 Mb video memory, then your CPU needs to allocate that memory first, and there after have addresses left for 3.5 Gb of your total 4 Gb of RAM. Then also every PCI card takes a few memory adresses, such as sound card, TV card, disc controller card and so on.

whoops, misread what processor was being used ... thanks for making me double check :)

i have a 3 ghz celeron with 1024 mb of ram and a radeon 9600 256mb video card. nothing special, but i have very, very little lag. i also run it with all the bells and whistles. i live on the west coast of the united states, i am far away from the source of entropia. i have cable from comcast and my internet speed is rocking :) on avg 9k to 10k kbs. so, for me it is the internet speed, not the system.

This will be my new configuration:

Processors:......2 x Intel Xeon 5150 (total 4 cores)
Ram:...............4 GB (fullybuffered)
Graphics:.........Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX (768 MB)
HDD:...............5 x 500 GB (Raid 0 for System Partition and Raid 5 for Data Partition)

looks nice, but 5x500 raid , i would go for WD raptors 10k rpm's animal hds ;) small but fast, 15k is insane BUT I LIKE IT

enjoy

Last edited:

I know it very well. I selected a board where you can set the PCI memory reserved frame. :D

aint RAID 0 only 2 disk... you main the mix called Raid 0+1 , wich with 3 disck it twice speed and make data redondant ?

You can set a raid 0 with 19 disks (e.g.). Then you get nearly 19 times speed. :D

hope none of those 19 hard disks fail though, or you are SOL with raid 0

Cpu

All I can say is this - I bought a new Computer and changed my connection to max in my area the day of the 1st Oil Rig Field trip. People were complaining they couldn't move because of all the lag, but I was busy running through them like they were blades of grass with absolutely NO lag. If you are using this new computer for pK, you will see great improvement. I warn you though, I will be lurking behind one of those Orange Jumpsuits :) .

Dual Core is nice! But: :D

I like to play EU, and in the background Outlook can synchonize and a virtual machine is running. This all without any freezes...:D

Outlook 2007 sometimes freezes 5 sec all my other apps when syncronizing regardless of dual core. I allways stop it before pk :).
i guess office 2007 is not working good yet but it does look cool:).

I think i have said this before but if you add more ram 4gb for example it maybe will slow down your pc. Sound's really wierd hmm well i will explain in no technical term's.

Imagine a swimming pool now with 2 gb the pool is 1 times longer than 1 gb now i use 2gb sli premium ram. This works awsome for me i tried using 4gb and had great problems.

The reason is when i added the 4 gb i added an extra 2 length's to the swimming pool this then makes the data have to travel further.

The end result is the computer actually perform's slower and i use 2x Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX (768 MB) in sli mode these days.

So in summary i think maybe it is better if you use 2 gb. You can
always try 4 and if it does not provide the same speed as 2 sell the other 2 back to the shop.

Regard's
Lee

It helps!

Dear Forum Mates!

Now I have the system (see first message in this thread) up and running.

And I can say it helps:
* PvP is so much easier
* FPS in the ring in Twins and maximum visuall settings is over 50 :cool:
* No delay anymore.

Only server specific lags are still existing:
* Going out of a shop container
* Too many avatars on the server ( >50 )
* Loot delay if too many mobs are on server ( e.g. eomons )

No problem anymore with
* Open Storage
* Shot delay
* Position correction effects

But what helped much with my 5 sec weapons selection delay was the last VU some weeks ago. Afterwards the effect was away. Reason was bug/setting of MA, not my computer or connection.

Ok, just wanted to give you the final results. Hope it helps you too.

Dear Forum Mates!

Now I have the system (see first message in this thread) up and running.

And I can say it helps:
* PvP is so much easier
* FPS in the ring in Twins and maximum visuall settings is over 50 :cool:
* No delay anymore.

Only server specific lags are still existing:
* Going out of a shop container
* Too many avatars on the server ( >50 )
* Loot delay if too many mobs are on server ( e.g. eomons )

No problem anymore with
* Open Storage
* Shot delay
* Position correction effects

But what helped much with my 5 sec weapons selection delay was the last VU some weeks ago. Afterwards the effect was away. Reason was bug/setting of MA, not my computer or connection.

Ok, just wanted to give you the final results. Hope it helps you too.

Try uncheck "wait for sync" in options. You should be able to get better then 50 FPS in twin. I have "only" dual core in my PC, but the rest are the same, and I get all from 120-200 FPS. Unless you run Vista, then the bad performance is because of that.

Try uncheck "wait for sync" in options. You should be able to get better then 50 FPS in twin. I have "only" dual core in my PC, but the rest are the same, and I get all from 120-200 FPS. Unless you run Vista, then the bad performance is because of that.

With my setting i am almost always over 100 fps...
If its somhow desert land scape i am way over 200.
For a crowed town around 80.

Middle of eomon event , center crater with green and radar and full of eomon , i was still at 15 to 40 fps...

I also have desactivate wait vertical sync in EU.

Hi, this may sound a silly question, but can you get EU to split across the CPU affinities ? In lehmanns terms, use all the cores.

I have a dual core turion 64 2GHZ laptop and EU only uses the 1st core, meaning it's actually slower (CPU Speed) than my 3 year old 2.6GHz laptop. Thing is, I use it as the other laptop has a poor CPU.

Are you able to make EU use all cores simutaneously ??

Hi, this may sound a silly question, but can you get EU to split across the CPU affinities ? In lehmanns terms, use all the cores.

I have a dual core turion 64 2GHZ laptop and EU only uses the 1st core, meaning it's actually slower (CPU Speed) than my 3 year old 2.6GHz laptop. Thing is, I use it as the other laptop has a poor CPU.

Not a silly question at all. Most games made after 2006 have some form of dual core support, I do not believe EU does as it was made b4 dual core cpu's.
you can do a quick search to find a list of game that support dual core.
here is one from Toms hardware
unfortunately some games, as you have experienced may even run slower. The new CryENGINE 2 does support dual (and quad?) core so perhaps when that VU comes it will.

hmm , as someone said, 4 gb is a lot and unnecessary money spending... I have 3 GB DDR2 1024 mhz and I am satisfied ...

But u should all know that not the ghz is important but the tiny + next to that ghz... for example my 2.4 single core AMD at 6200+ beats almost all dual core processors below 4800+ . . .

As Rwin pointed out, the application has to be written to be multi threaded, which EU was not currently written that way. I sincerely hope that MA will take advantage of CryEngine2's ability to be a multi threaded application. This would allow say physics calculations to be run on a separate core. I wouldn't be surprised if thats exactly how CryTek got their engine to run so well.

Back