A study of natural stone distribution near TP areas on the southern continent: The Jerrix Project

Avon(AJ)Jerrix

Guardian
This study is being done under the aegis of the Surface Resources Office, a tiny, rather pathetically underfunded section of the Planet Calypso Geologic Survey...

["huh," the man sitting by the fire thought, as he read over what he had written..."Might have to edit that a bit..."]

...in hopes that the scientific community might begin to understand and even predict the appearance of certain natural stone deposits. The first stage of the study has been completed. Results are appended, and simple enough that a bureaucrat can understand. [Hmm...]

The lead researcher [...only researcher...] has closely surveyed the ground surface [...walked around...] in the vicinity of teleporters throughout the southern continent, searching for the stone outcroppings once thought worthless, but now of some interest to colonists [...you can sell them...]. Where the investigation discovered deposits of the stones, the time elapsed and the number and type of stones were noted.

If sixty minutes passed without discovering any such outcropping, then the investigation was suspended and the researcher moved on to the next sample. The results are marked with an "X" where nothing of interest was found. Where some other natural spawn was found--fruit or type II dung--it has been noted with a "/".

["And I wonder if they ever found where I put all that dung..." the man mused, smiling up at the stars.]

In the first phase, every area has been sampled five times.

projimg00a_132402.jpg

projimg01a_283692.jpg

projimg02a.jpg

projimg03a.jpg

projimg04a.jpg

projimg05a.jpg

projimg06a.jpg

projimg07a.jpg

Avon Jerrix

q

OK, the question that bothers me since years: Can the Surface Resources Office confirm that there are generally more surface resources spawn inside taxed landareas compared to outside (i.e. not LA zones)!?

Well shit.

It looks like he has a better return rate looking for free stones then most miners using bombs get these days.

OK, the question that bothers me since years: Can the Surface Resources Office confirm that there are generally more surface resources spawn inside taxed landareas compared to outside (i.e. not LA zones)!?

Well, that's one of the reasons for this study...over the years colonists have spent vast amounts of time and resources testing theories and studying subsurface mining, ores and enmatters, and only a fraction of that studying natural stone deposits. Understandably. Hopefully, this project will help start to fill in some of the gaps in what we know.

As far as your question, well, if we look at the results, we see for example that one of the best producing areas, Shinook Jungle, is not an LA, but another of the best producing areas, TI Northern Shores, is. On the other hand, one of the worst areas to find deposits is Memorial Island, not an LA, but another worst is Myrene Island, which is an LA. My gut instinct is no, there is no real difference, but I can't say with any reasonable degree of certainty.

More research is needed.

Last edited:
Nice research. I would like to see whether or not the area you walk in has ANY bearing on whether or not you find stones or fruit. That is, if you walk in a circle for a few hours, will you find less stuff than combing a large area.

Back