Question: A sub-forum for EU related tools?

Status

Xandra

Prowler
Society
The British Empire
Xandra "MadMaiden" Xandottir
Hi,

after VU 10 quite some old tools has become obsolete, and some new tools have been developed. Screen grabbers, tracker clients, tools to keep track of your mining runs, and more I didn't try, for sure: Skill calculating tools, inventory calculators, whatever.

They are distributed all over the forum at the moment. Some in "General Discussion", some in "Mining", some in "Hunting", some elsewhere. A pain where it hurts to keep track of, or just to find out what's new with your favorite ones.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a proper sub-forum somewhere where all these tools would reside together, for easy browsing and fast finding?

Maybe the "Entropia Universe Tutorials" could be changed to "Entropia Universe User content" or similar?
With discussion in the forum itself, and specialized sub-forums like "Maps", "Tutorials", "Guides", "Tools" (sic!), "Spread sheet magic" and such? *1)

Wouldn't it be a blessing not only for the ones desperately searching for this one special helper, or information, but also to the busy developers of the tools to get their work presented in a easy to find spot, without the need to check & check again in heavily populated other forum parts, watching their work disappearing in oblivion as long as nobody bumps it?

There's a lot of voluntary work being done by some great members of our community, helping us all and greatly adding to our experience. Wouldn't it be the least that could be done for them to create a place for them where they'd be able to present their work?

I kindly ask for a short reply if you support this idea. Maybe make a pm to the powers that be - I'm not after the EFD ;-)

Have fun!

*1) In a perfect forum it wouldn't be possible to enter anything but plain text. Any new executables would be sent to an admin/ mod that would run a quick check to ensure the integrity, before publishing.
I understand this isn't possible, the amount of work, and the responsibility, would be just prohibitive. But in way like I asked for there'd be the possibility to at least accompany such tools with a clear warning - after all these are 3rd party tools, and might be problematic in one way or the other.

PS: I did a search. Didn't find anything related to this. This might be due to my poor searching skill. Should this thread be a duplicate one I kindly ask for deletion.

Would be nice to see something like this certainly would save time finding various tools and apps...

great plan.

I hope 711 will think so too.
Now it is usually more by accident if I find something like that here.

a big fat +rep:yay:

great plan.

I hope 711 will think so too.
Now it is usually more by accident if I find something like that here.

:

I agree totally. All this hard work going to waste unless its stumbled upon. Its almost like mining loot.

i think i asked for just this some time ago but it was a no go then. But i support this idea!

good idea.

Good idea. Just remember that you need to be careful with stuff since MA/EULA don't want you messing with the internals of the game engine or using anything external that does...

but.. a good list of tools and user comments on them might be handy.

Entropia Inventory Tree is pretty cool:
http://x1z.net/EU/

SnowLeopard built it a while back after I made a thread in here about how hard it is to organize things in your inventory when they are in boxes, or books, or books inside of boxes, etc. I use this little tool almost daily. I'm really surprised that MA has not done something similar on their My Items list at entropiauniverse.com - this sort of thing will become more and more needed over time as new planets enter the picture, each with their own storage...

Hi,

no reaction from the powers that be yet?
Guess I'll start to ask the ppl that are affected.

Have fun!

thats very good idea, when I was going to post a thread about my program I was looking to find such sub-forum, but I havent found ;) you have my support :cool:

Last edited:
I totally support this idea :)

EUAss is still a long way from completion, but the people responsible for the help file have put links to the various tools, it's no substitute for a website though, as links can go dead in our offline help file that would be updated in an online website. ;)

They've placed disclaimers stating that you download at your own risk and we cannot be held liable, blah, blah, blah....

Anyhoo, back to work :(

Status
Back