Advice please.

Girlie Chum

Young
Hello! I'm wondering if you guys know of a software or company that can identify vulnerabilities and unmet compliance regulations in our company's system. We prefer it if the scan is done remotely. Any ideas?

If it's for busines: Hire an external contractor. IT Security is way too complex to be checked by a software, no matter how much you spend. If you need details, contact me in game and I can give some background info. I am not a IT security contractor myself, so not trying to sell a service or something like that.

i can do full analysis, just matter of price :)

and offtopic offcourse:)

As Smoerble pointed out, IT security is extremely complex and I would add to that: it's a process... it's an ongoing effort and not something that you can do as a one-off. Also, no matter what solution you pick, there is no guarantee that you will be 100% protected.

To answer your question it involves a lot more info about what you need, the size of your IT infrastructure and the budget you have. On the top, you have companies like Cisco and IBM the offer full solutions; as you can imagine you pay a premium... but they are very good. For the mid-range, I recommend Barracuda.

One of the best fits I see for your need is Clear Concepts; the offer remote scanning for many types of vulnerabilities: Document Network Security Policies, Full network security scan, Document Security service pack deficiencies on the network, Identify installed applications with known security issues, Review IP communications setup - DNS - DHCP, Review Anti-Virus solutions setup & configuration (Document confirmed infections), Analyze Event Logs for reported system, Perform a System Registry scan and document on broken registry links and more.

Software wise, there is a huge range available from free to tens of thousands; without knowing exactly what you're after it's very hard to recommend anything. This LINK has listed some software including in-the-cloud continuous monitoring; in this ARTICLE, you can find the top 5 or so free software.

I hope this helps.

I think, OP should definately not go for a software solution/check.

I eman: this is a gaming forum where ppl can provide the most stupid solutions... and OP asks for a security advice. In my opinion, this makes it pretty clear, that he has _no_ idea about IT security (no, anti-virus software doesn't count).

As you point out, it's a process. There is so much more involved than just a checklist done-this-done-that. The behaviour of the employees needs to change, the IT needs to change, the way the boss thinks, needs to change.

Just running a checklist mkes it, from my experience, even worse, as people think, they are now "safe". I can stretch this hard enough: get a real expert into your company and learn from him as much as you can.

Not sure if this help, but grc.com can do a simple check toward your system. But you kinda need to be skilled to interpret what it finds..

...I eman: this is a gaming forum where ppl can provide the most stupid solutions... and OP asks for a security advice...
I was just trying to help.

I was just trying to help.

Sorry, I didn't want to say, that people here are unskilled or something. As I am not an security expert, I am aware, that many here are more skilled than i am in this area.

What I tried to say was: when someone asks a security question for a company in gaming forum, this shows, that this person doesn't undertsand the absolute basics of IT, otherwise they would ask in IT forums, not in a gaming forum.

Hope, this makes more sense now?

Sorry, I didn't want to say, that people here are unskilled or something. As I am not an security expert, I am aware, that many here are more skilled than i am in this area.

What I tried to say was: when someone asks a security question for a company in gaming forum, this shows, that this person doesn't undertsand the absolute basics of IT, otherwise they would ask in IT forums, not in a gaming forum.

Hope, this makes more sense now?

I don't think the OP even knows this is a forum for a game. Looking at their post history, I think he/she/it thinks it is something else.

Looking at their first post it actually looks like someone testing a bot of some kind.

We're looking for something like this one by Quest. We need at least two more for comparison so if you know any other companies that can aid with this, I'd really appreciate it.

Back