Algorithm for skill gains when attacked

TheOneOmega

Elite
Society
Freelancer
Marie TheOne Omega
I tried searching, but couldn't find anything. Has any research been done to find a relationship between the probability of receiving a skill gain from an attack (i.e. Dodge), and some other variable? Perhaps the specific mob, or the damage type, or the amount of damage affects this?

I find it terribly difficult to get Dodge from Bristle Youngs, as opposed to, say, Tezlapod Youngs.

My oppinion

I belive it is more about the value how intelligent is the mob... in this case the Tezlapod is "smarter" so you gain more defense skills from him... but it can be the LOOT problem too.... the Bristelhog has more valueable Loot / the Tezlapod not... so the system gives you in case of the Bristelhog better LOOT and less skills... this is opposit by the Tezlapod!

I am not sure if this is the explanation... I think about!... :scratch2:

I belive it is more about the value how intelligent is the mob... in this case the Tezlapod is "smarter" so you gain more defense skills from him... but it can be the LOOT problem too.... the Bristelhog has more valueable Loot / the Tezlapod not... so the system gives you in case of the Bristelhog better LOOT and less skills... this is opposit by the Tezlapod!

I am not sure if this is the explanation... I think about!... :scratch2:

Two interesting hypotheses. Going by the Intelligence parameter would certainly make things easy, so I kind of hope that turns out to be the winner.

As for the other idea, are you suggesting the the TT value of the loot payouts are different for the two mobs, or that MindArk uses the Market Value of the dropped items in their calculations?

You may get more gains, but do you know how much that amounts to in skill quantity? Skill TT? If you don't know what these values are or measure them accurately, there is little that can be commented on other than the observations are conjecture.

my opinion, i think it has to do with the mobs level, the higher the level, the better the skill gain

You may get more gains, but do you know how much that amounts to in skill quantity? Skill TT? If you don't know what these values are or measure them accurately, there is little that can be commented on other than the observations are conjecture.

Yes, volume is of more importance, but it is also harder to measure. In this particular case, I am only comparing gains between three different mobs, so I may be able to make some intelligent conclusions just from green lines if there is a major difference.

my opinion, i think it has to do with the mobs level, the higher the level, the better the skill gain

Mob levels are a recent addition to the game, though I suppose the mob levels could be a function of the same parameter used to determine skill gain probability.

Well do some testing and share your results.

Surely intresting!

Yes, volume is of more importance, but it is also harder to measure. In this particular case, I am only comparing gains between three different mobs, so I may be able to make some intelligent conclusions just from green lines if there is a major difference.

Mob levels are a recent addition to the game, though I suppose the mob levels could be a function of the same parameter used to determine skill gain probability.

Chatlogs reveal no strong correlation between amount of skill gained, TT gained, and - but it's always good to get another set of prints on the murder weapon. Don't let me discourage you, maybe it changed the last time since I measured it :)

Moblevels, while a nice idea, go in the completely opposite direction to the small mobs=larger TT/ped gain observation

Moblevels, while a nice idea, go in the completely opposite direction to the small mobs=larger TT/ped gain observation

Defense skills are different because you don't get a kill bonus defensive skill on small mobs.

Well do some testing and share your results.

Surely intresting!

I will do just that (when I can find a free-ish healer who is also interested in the info). I would like to keep this thread open for a week or so though before I reinvent the wheel (and to collect some more hypotheses so I can compare more variables during the test). :)

Yes

Two interesting hypotheses. Going by the Intelligence parameter would certainly make things easy, so I kind of hope that turns out to be the winner.

As for the other idea, are you suggesting the the TT value of the loot payouts are different for the two mobs, or that MindArk uses the Market Value of the dropped items in their calculations?

Be sure... that Mindark use in the return rate the Mark up value in calculation... :lolup:

Humm, are you sure about that? :)

Oh, yes.

Never got a evade or dodge gain for the kill.

Its always an offence skill that you gain for the kill, thats why skilling on small mobs (offence) is more efficent.
More kills more gains!

During my sweating times I noticed that evade growth faster sweating ambu instead snables :)
But that was good old times, when sweaters could build stacks at Nea´s Revive :D

Interesting.

It seems like there might be some limit to the amount of such skill that one can receive, per instance of a mob.

In other words, if you are attacked many times by Telzapod X, it may eventually "run out" (or at least run very dry) of skill to give you.

This is very each to see when piloting a Mothership in space, but it seems the same model may be used for planet-side mobs.

This raises lots of new questions related to my original question.

maybe you can make some experiment like:
feffoid young old champion, kill 10 of each one and calculate how much skill evade messages you gain (this give you an idea if skill messages correlate with maturity)

than kill 10 atrox old, 10 ambu provider, 10 exo, 10 atrax provider etcetc and calculate who give you more evade skill message.

10 it is just an example, you can 20, 30 or

DC

maybe you can make some experiment like:
feffoid young old champion, kill 10 of each one and calculate how much skill evade messages you gain (this give you an idea if skill messages correlate with maturity)

than kill 10 atrox old, 10 ambu provider, 10 exo, 10 atrax provider etcetc and calculate who give you more evade skill message.

10 it is just an example, you can 20, 30 or

DC

Skill messages are not an accurate indicator of skill gain.
Skill messages are not an accurate indicator of TT gain.
People who start conducting scientific experiments on the basis that skill messages are an accurate measurement device will be treated with the same respect as I treat those who believe dowsing is a reliable method to "find water".

you will get nothing meaningfull at all from watching greenlines. to follow what immortal is saying, the volume a green line represents changes wildly. when i tested, literally counting pixels to calculate, a green line could be a 10th of a level once, a whole level the next. its near as random as makes any difference. you might assume that there is an average over time, i didnt test for long enough to see. but bear in mind skills increase at very didfferent rates, so you'd have to research one skill throughly in isolation.

I mouse hover over the profession window's profession I am skilling on. Yes it is total gains for hit/dmg but it registers pretty consistently. Even one green longblade gain will usually show an increase in both swordsman hit/dmg.
I find it a good way to check your setup vs. a particular mob/maturity.

James

Years ago I used to do a lot of tests, on a lot of stuff.
One were gain in Rifle when I were using Adj Hero + amp203 vs Adj Hero + Eamp13.
If you look at picture downbelow, the red and yellow vertical lines are every gain (I put them
there with help of PS) and the thinnest lines are one pixel.
Still very inaccurate when it comes to exact numbers, but it at least shows that it can
be a huge difference from gain to gain.
Vertical text shows how the gain came, if it were Last (killshot), in a single or double
gain and so on.

always nice in your replies Immortal, compliment.
I would suggest you to read the first post. It ask if different mobs give different skills gain when attached for example dodge (and i can imagine evade too).
I don t see any bad to collect the skills message in the chat for evade and dodge. Indeed the profession evade and dodge depend of many factors and the gain of a new evade or dodge profession level is different according the starting point (es is easy to move from level 3 to level 4 but very difficult to move from level 30 to 31).
Taking in account just about the evade or dodge messages in the chat it will give us an idea if different mobs attach give different amount of deference skills.

always nice in your replies Immortal, compliment.
I would suggest you to read the first post. It ask if different mobs give different skills gain when attached for example dodge (and i can imagine evade too).
I don t see any bad to collect the skills message in the chat for evade and dodge. Indeed the profession evade and dodge depend of many factors and the gain of a new evade or dodge profession level is different according the starting point (es is easy to move from level 3 to level 4 but very difficult to move from level 30 to 31).
Taking in account just about the evade or dodge messages in the chat it will give us an idea if different mobs attach give different amount of deference skills.

Collect the data the data that disproves my statements, then I'll consider your posts as relevant

Humm, are you sure about that? :)

Yes, I am not sure, however, that it will make small mobs less better than large mobs for gaining defensive skills since I don't test enough large mobs.

Back