Suggestion: Allow for duplicate name changes

Should players with duplicates in their avatar name be allowed to change one part of their name

• Total voters

Gladora

Old
Heya,

I wanted to get everyone's opinion on this small issue of mine. I am going to preface this post by saying that MA support has denied my request on numerous occasions and I don't expect them to change their decision based on this post, I merely wish to understand the decision as the reasoning provided by MA doesn't necessarily seem to apply to my specific case.

So what do I mean when I say allow players with duplicates to change their name? It means that if you chose the exact same name for either your first, user or last name, that either one should be allowed to be changed to something else while the rest remains the same.

When I started the game a little over 2 years ago, I made the silly mistake of having a duplicate in my avatar's name, due in part to EUs unconventional naming system and ever since it has been a thorn in my eyes. My reasoning to do this at the time was that I wanted to be known as simply "Gladora" in the game, but I didn't know whether to put it as my "first name" or "username", so I put it as both, resulting in my current avatar name "Gladora Gladora Amenath". Little did I know at the time that all 3 fields would become my permanent name within the game until it was obviously already too late.

So I filed a ticket, requesting to have the name adjusted to "Gladora Syclya Amenath" as I would have intended it to be from the start, had I known about the importance of all 3 name plates.

On this topic, MA says:

"Unless the avatar name violates the EULA or ToU or you happened to write your real name as your avatar name, we do not change the name of your avatar. The reason for not allowing a change of your avatar name is that you build reputation and trust inside the Entropia Universe by the name of your avatar. To allow this to be changed would undermine confidence in existing avatar relations."

But as it is clear, my intention is not deter my identity by becoming someone else. The fact that I'm making this public knowledge with this post only reinforces that. If anything at all, the entirety of my current name would remain exactly the same. I would just be granted an actual middle name and get rid of the duplicate. On top of this, I have heard of multiple instances of people being allowed to change the entirety of their avatar's name despite not adhering to MA's policy, so I really do no understand why no exception can be made for me even though MA's policy could be applicable here.

Last edited:
Its always been stupid that you need 3 names in this game, idk why they couldnt just do 1 name
People in real life have first middle lastname, I'm sure the people at MA thought it was cute to copy for "realism"

I made same mistake,because didnt quite understand what will be shown etc and i am from Bosnia so we dont have middle names.
I would use just 50shadesOFblondie without prefix or any " name/surname.
But ,many things are wierd and non logic in this game so is the avatar names

I have the same name 3 times because I didn't know why why why either. ^^ But I didn't care very quickly. Names are sound and smoke

When I started the game a little over 2 years ago, I made the silly mistake
Uhm, then no. I'd give you an hour to figure out if the name was a bad idea. Within that hour I guess that a new player would have seen a few things in Thule and gained some knowledge how the UI and basic interaction with other players work.

I mean I fully understand that the longer you have an avatar you may at one point think that the name is bad. Then again it's life. Changing the name IRL isn't easy to do and usually is expensive and inconvenient. I'm pretty sure that you can come up with a band with a silly name or a silly song that - after many years - is just not that funny anymore. And in case it's a well-known song, they still play it (live or on radio).

You see, my in-game name is "ender endermigne migne" so I kind of sit in a similar boat. I'd have been fine with just "endermigne", but had to come up with something. I decided to limit my visual name to the middle name. So unless you get in contact with me you probably won't see that full name. I've made my peace with that.

As it's been a while I can't remember what the dialogue was like where I had to enter my avatar name, but I think it was obvious enough what the name would/will do.

I'd give you an hour to figure out if the name was a bad idea.
I thought about this. Maybe it does make sense that MindArk asks the player after an hour, when leaving Thule or executing an important interactive task (like agreeing to a mentor or the first time adding someone to the FL) something like "Now that you played Entropia Universe for a bit, are you happy with your gender, look and name of your avatar or do you want to change something?"

Uhh... now that I'm typing this... I don't know...

One avatar ... one chance to build reputation....

who does not like can sell all items, withdraw, start over (ALT are not allowed). (

a rose is a rose even with another name
..... so is a scammer

Uhm, then no. I'd give you an hour to figure out if the name was a bad idea...
I mean, what difference would it make? Whether you wait 1 hour or 10 years, the name is locked in the second you hit that create character button. And why would you assume it took me all this time to be unhappy with my name? It was already an uneasy choice for me when I created my character, hoping for the best, as explained in my post. I have filed numerous tickets over the years to have it changed, to no avail. So I was wondering what the community thinks about it, but all you guys do is bombard me with strawmans as if you hadn't even fully read or understood my post. Just like your real life comparison, which is just embarrassing. This is a video game. Or Msturlese who, despite me making it absolutely clear that this is not about changing my identity, ignored my entire argument and still made that accusation.

Just to make it clear for the remaining discussion, I would go from:

"Gladora Gladora Amenath"

to

"Gladora Sycyla Amenath"

It's a purely cosmetic adjustment. Granting me an actual middle name as intended by the system. I would not become a different person. 🥸

Last edited:
Dosnt it say what each name is like first middle last or something like that? Thought it was pretty self explanatory what they had been asking.

As i started the game in 2008 it was my very first MMO ever.. so i literally had no clue what i was doing as i created Mil, but it said clearly - First Name - "Nickname" - Last Name ...weird but clearly plain to see what that means. Would i like to change my Nickname? Yes i would since i am to most people known not by my Nick but by Mil as everyone calls me that . But besides of that... my Tag is Milena so my full name is only shown in Global chat (which happens rarely enough) :D but after all it´s a game about money... and seeing altered/ changed names or avatars with similar names always gives an uneasy feeling about Alts or other fishy stuff... just my 2pec

No accusation man.
i know you as a Healer in NI and nothing to say, we hunted Zeus with Daniel and gorgon.... NOTHING against you specifically

but the "immutable" status of the character name protects us from a series of issues...
seeing a name on entropialife, pcf, in game makes you sure not to risk an account locked to deal with someone that is not clean.

name is just a combination of letter...
being the interface not clear i put my RL name in the form back in 2007.... i then have choosen one of the 3 fields to be displayed. and never perceived it as an issue. so i voted no at the poll.

dont feel attacked by me.. you are not :)

Dosnt it say what each name is like first middle last or something like that? Thought it was pretty self explanatory what they had been asking.
It says First name, "Username", Last name. Highly misleading imo, no explanation given as to what is important or how it will be displayed once you enter the game and I have hundreds of mmos under my belt. Usually the "Username" is the only important field in these games, the rest is optional and remains hidden. Additionally, I'm obviously not alone in these shoes, as proven by numerous avatars running around with slight variations of duplicated names, whether its the first name and username, or username and last name, or even all 3 fields being the same.

but the "immutable" status of the character name protects us from a series of issues...
seeing a name on entropialife, pcf, in game makes you sure not to risk an account locked to deal with someone that is not clean.
All good. No offense taken.

But then explain the people that were granted name changes regardless? And once again, the entirety of my avatar name remains the same, I just dont see the issue here? If I were given a real username, I would immediately contact the people managing entropialife to get the name adjusted there as well. I'm trying to be as transparent as can possibly be and, once again, it's a purely cosmetic adjustment. Granting me an actual middle name as intended by the system. I would not become a different person. Can someone explain the problem with this?

Last edited:
On this topic, MA says:

"Unless the avatar name violates the EULA or ToU or you happened to write your real name as your avatar name.

Change your IRL name to the same as your avatar name.
When you got the new ID card, send it to support to change your avatar name because its the same as your IRL name.
Problem solved.

It's 2023, it's time for sex change options and name change. Your previous name will always show up on avatar info unless it was related in someway to your real life name.

MA are missing out on a lot of revenue from this. Also time for unisex armors and clothes. ;)

Change your IRL name to the same as your avatar name.
When you got the new ID card, send it to support to change your avatar name because its the same as your IRL name.
Problem solved.
Not really, I would have to pick an entirely new name. But I'd like to keep most of my current name. ;)

Back