Another Idea....EU Book

TanMan

Alpha
Society
Freelancer
Red Scout Leader
Here's another crazy idea I thought of since I have nothing else to do.

After reading a few diaries and keeping track of the competition for EF's new reporter, we all witnessed very gifted writers. We were also priviledged to read great stories about EU.

In November, I participated in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month, www.nanowrimo.com). Basically, it's a competition against yourself to see if you can complete a short novel (novella) within the month of November. To qualify, participants must complete a novella by writing a story of any kind, the length must be at least 50,000 words which is equivalent to about 150 pages, and it must be done in 30 days. There was no prize except the satisfaction of sdoing something of the sort. December is devoted to editing what you have written. Now, there are companies such as www.lulu.com that publish whatever you want for free. You send them your book and they then enter on their website. People who want the book can go to their website and order it or you can set up a website of your own and do the same. With a decently lengthed book, you could probably make about $5 per book sold.

After reading the great stories on EF about EU, why don't we have people compete to write an EU short novel. It could even be a series of books. There are a few MMORPGs out there already that have books out, i.e. <other game>. Obviously, some of the writers we have here on EF are very creative and imaginative and I am sure they would be capable of writing such stories.

To add on to this, there are more possibilites with this idea. A competition can be held to see which writer should represent EU as an author. After this, the author can then start creating books solely for EU, possibly even talking EU into selling the books within EU. This would not only benefit the author but also be another small publicity stunt for MA. It would be perfect for the author since the book would be hitting its target audience directly. No need to market alot in other areas. It may not be a huge money maker for the author but it could generate a decent amount of cash to play with.

You may ask why, who is going to read the books? Simple, a lot of us truly enjoy the universe and the community involved. A book would only further enhance the admiration. When you are sitting there in the morning, drinking a cup of coffee, you could easily browse through a few pages. If you saw your name in the book, you could have the satisfaction of forever going down in the written history of EU. You don't only need to be in EU to enjoy it, you can read and imagine about it.

Just a thought. Anyone care to express their thoughts about it? Feel free to discuss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Fin
I guess the silence sums up the support or lack thereof. Oh well, back to the drawing board :)

Does anyone believe this is a good idea or should I let the thread die?

I hate to see you talking to yourself Rob. You do that enough as it is. I am not one that would be able to write any short stories, novellas, or novels like you mention. Even so I have read stories here from many talented people that are enjoyable.

A contest for writing a story would result in some great reading for those of us that like to read, but writing 150 pages seems like a lot of work for anyone except those that have the ambition to become a published author.

My 2 pecs ...:D

I hate to see you talking to yourself Rob. You do that enough as it is. I am not one that would be able to write any short stories, novellas, or novels like you mention. Even so I have read stories here from many talented people that are enjoyable.

A contest for writing a story would result in some great reading for those of us that like to read, but writing 150 pages seems like a lot of work for anyone except those that have the ambition to become a published author.

My 2 pecs ...:D

I only talk to myself when the voices talk to me. :banana:

Yeah, i kinda figured it would be limited to those who could continue to write good stories. It would prolly end up being a series of short books. It would be a good idea for the aspiring author to take on and I am sure there could possibly be a few of them here.

Anyway, looks like this idea has sunk, oh well.

Back