Info: Beginner armor (what to use when or why ;))

Smoerble

Elite
Smoerble
This is aimed mainly for beginners, bu I will list some more armor parts that are not so beginner like.

The info here is aimed at beginners. It covers the main topics, but not every single deep detail. It should give beginners an overview about teh variety of armors.

Basics:
There are a lot more armor sets available than listed here. I list the most common ones and only a few mobs here too. Sooner or later each player needs to learn how to use .Entropedia's Armor vs Mobs charts

Each armor set consists of 7 pieces:
+ face guard or helmet + arm guards + harness + thighs + shins + gloves +
Some armor sets use different names for the parts (as grown whatever) but it basically is the same.

Mixed armor sets:
You can of course mix the armor parts, for example use Goblin, Pixie and Bodyguard parts as one armor. Keep in mind, that most mob hits are aimed the harness.

Armor platings:
You can add armor platings to each armor. This means, each armor part needs an own plating. Most common ones:
2A or 3B: very cheap to use, good additional protection.
5B: most common non-L plating against most mobs for mid level players
6A: typical plates against drones and laser weapons

Beginner armor:
Prices rough guidelines.
Bodyguard:
Unlimited - crafted - Price: TT+22 PEDs
Beginner armor, cheaper to use than Pixie.
Mobs: Daikiba, Exarosaur, Snarksnots, Combibos, Faucervix.

Pixie:
Unlimited - looted - Price: TT+9 PEDs
Cheap to buy, cheap to use.

Goblin:
Unlimited - looted - TT+9
Good as pixie, but with acid protection.
Mobs: Snablesnots, all other beginner mobs.

Gnome: [never used it, need info from community ;)]

Kobold: [never used it, need info from community ;)]

Berserker:
Unlimited - Crafted - TT+60
Expensive to buy but about 10% cheaper to use than Pixie
Mobs: Atrax(!) young, Daikiba, Exarosaur, Snarksnots, Combibos, Faucervix.

Shogun: very common [never used it myself, need info from community]
Mobs: [community?]

Rascal: very common before you buy a Ghost set.

Settler: Armor from trade terminal. Bad protection, high costs, don't buy it.

Explorer: good against robots
Your first armor against drones.Cheap to buy, can be used against most other mobs too.
Mobs: Drones Gen. 1 (up to Gen 5 with 6A plates), all other beginner mobs, Feffoid Outcasts

Dragon: looks cool (red) but bad protection.

Vampire: looks cool (black with red) but bad protection.

Mid level armor:

Ghost: most common armor.
Mobs: Feffoids, Atrax, small Longus, small Atrox

Gremlin: very popular too
Good acid protection but also good protection against most other mobs.
Mobs: Big Snablesnots, more?[need info from community]

Vigilante: most common armor against drones
Good against other mobs, but then higher costs than e.g. Ghost.
Mobs: Drones, Attackers (if you survive in PVP4 ;)), more?

Boar: good allround armor.
Better protection than Ghost against most mobs plus same protection against Drones as Vigilante. Perfect if you switch mobs often.
Mobs: Drones, all other mid level mobs, small Longus

Nemesis: common armor, next step after Ghost.
Mobs: [community]

Jaguar: Good protection, very light (good for miners) but pretty expensive.

Phantom: very good protection, high costs.

Thunderbird: Only good against electric attacks

High level armor:

Angel: Very good against 90% of the mobs in any maturity.

Shadow: THE Player vs Player armor. There are better ones, but shadow is what you need to know :).

More info:

Effiency/decay:
Each armor set has different protection and different costs when it's hit (decays).

Armor stats/mobs attacks:
Mobs have differnt types of attack (cut, stab, acid and many more) plus they have different strength (a Daikiba young is weaker than a Daikiba Old).

Your info:
I wrote this from my mind, so feel free to discuss. Some armor is not listed here, because it's not very commonly used (e.g. Bear). If you think, something should be added, post.

Now... discuss :).

Last edited:
Reserved for later use.

not a bad thread :) i'd add rascal and shogun to the begginer armors, they are good armors commonly used.

One of the best beginner (and whit some 5b plates on can be prety eco for some mobs) armor isn't present. Gnome...

Good start for a guide.

One suggestion I would have would be to say at which point it is recommended for noobs to switch armors to the next tier, in terms of mobs they are fighting, weapons they can use, and or deposit amounts?

Good job, but a qustion.
Shogun and gremlin is both good armours, why not on the list?
Both are common i think.

Nice thread, but also missing grem and shogun. I think these two should be mentioned,too. Anyway +rep

+rep

youve got a good start there :)

I think according to the armor vs mob chart on entropedia that thunderbird is over protection for all the lower maturity of bristlehogs.

keep it up :)

narfi

Kobold and Shogun are the 2 armors U need when hunting alot as beginner. Feffs, trox and allos work really good.

Gremlin should also be on the list imo.

Really good.

+Rep

I see a lot of new players out there in dreadfull combinations of useless armour. A thread like this is badly needed to help them not buy rubbish.
+rep for Smoerble - good thread :wtg:

+rep very helpful for me :D

dont regulate goblin to just acid, 12 impact protection is good for beginning armor. kobald is worth looking at too.

also more discussion about plates. why get new armor when you can plate?

I agree, 5B on pixie saves you from shogun :).

I added more info to front page. Need a lot info from community, as I used mostly Goblin, then Ghost, then Boar. So I missed a lot steps beginners do, lol :D.

Please add suggestions of mobs, keep in mind: beginners = low weapons, low health, low evade/dodge.

Thank you.

Hey , very good job :) , i have a knight and with 5B it's a very good armor against lot of mob , atrax atrox molisk argonaut and then others , rascal not bad versus drone with 6a , it's a little vigilante ==) sorry for english but i'm french.

Gnome: [never used it, need info from community ]

Kobold: [never used it, need info from community ]

COLD... Feffoid... especially if plated a bit.

Mastermesh: what plates you recommend for a beginner? What maturity could they do with and without plates plz?

A few problems when discussing armor & mobs:

1. Players skill
  2. Mob maturities
  3. Plates

Players skill: I can use lower sized armors to hunt things newbies would need much more armor for. And much more skilled hunters can wear armor and hunt things I can't hunt even with my strongest suit. :jawdrop:

Mob maturities: When recommending, for example argonauts, there's a huge difference between a young and a hunter. :eek:

Plates: The right plates can transform an armor you never thought of into the perfect defense tool. But without those plates, it just won't work.

However, with those in mind, I took your list and altered/added to it slightly.

Pixie:

Bodyguard: essentially a plate hanger. If you can't recommend Settler, you can't recommend this one either.

Goblin: acid+impact
Mobs: Snablesnots, Tantillion, Plumatergus, Snarksnot, Foul, Exarosaur, Cornundos, Cornundacauda, Berycled

Gnome: same as pixie but slightly stronger
Mobs: young Argonaut, Molisk, combibo, etc.

Kobold: slightly stronger than gnome, plus cold+burn
mobs: bigger molisk, Argonaut, Feffoid, Maffoid

Rascal: slightly stronger than kobold but missing cold
Mobs: same as kobold minus the feffoids

Shogun: Covers all three main mob attacks and 2 main robot attacks.
Mobs: Armax, atrax, atrox, Gokibusagi, Hiryuu, merp, drone, prancer, rippersnapper, sabakuma,

Settler: Armor from trade terminal. Bad protection, high costs, don't buy it.

Dragon: looks cool (red) but bad protection.

Vampire: looks cool (black with red) but bad protection.

Mid level armor:

Ghost: most common armor. very versatile depending on plates used. First electric protection.
Mobs: Feffoids, Atrax, Atrox, Longus, bristlehogs, Tezlapod, trilomite, Boorum, Cornoanterion, Hogglo, Kingfisher, Nexnecis

Gremlin: very popular too
Good acid protection but also good protection against most other mobs.
Mobs: Atrax, Atrox, Aurli, Kreltin, Formicacida, feffoid, Caperon, Frescoquda, Fungoid, Furor, Letomie

Vigilante: most common armor against drones. Good overall protection, but VERY low on impact.
Mobs: Drones, Droka, Attackers, (basically all robots), Itumatrox, Gokibusagi, Nexnecis

Boar: good all round armor.
Better protection than Ghost against most mobs plus same protection against Drones as Vigilante. Perfect if you switch mobs often.
Mobs: Drones, all other mid level mobs, small Longus

Nemesis: Shogun's older brother. Often compared to ghost.

Jaguar: Good protection, very light (good for miners) but pretty expensive.

Phantom: very good protection, high costs.

Thunderbird: Only good against electric attacks

High level armor:

By the time you should be able to afford angel/shadow/eon, etc. You will know exactly what these armors are good for. :D

Amazing work, thank you. Will add all of it.

I disagree on Bodyguard. It has very low decay. It doesn't protect as good as Pixie, but costs less to use.

Vigilante: most common armor against drones. Good overall protection, but VERY low on impact.
Mobs: Drones, Droka, Attackers, (basically all robots), Itumatrox, Gokibusagi, Nexnecis

When you say the cost of Vigi is higher than Ghost, are you talking about the MU to buy the set? or the actual repair bills from using it?

Thanks. :)

When you say the cost of Vigi is higher than Ghost, are you talking about the MU to buy the set? or the actual repair bills from using it?

Thanks. :)

Actually that was Smoerble's comment. I simply didn't remove it.

However, in regards of decay cost, it depends on the mob tbh. Just as examples, on Gokibusagi vigi is slightly less decay, but on Nexnecis, it's slightly more, even though both give exactly the same total stab/cut protection. (Decay projections based on Entropedia of course.)

no love for hunter?

Actually that was Smoerble's comment. I simply didn't remove it.

However, in regards of decay cost, it depends on the mob tbh. Just as examples, on Gokibusagi vigi is slightly less decay, but on Nexnecis, it's slightly more, even though both give exactly the same total stab/cut protection. (Decay projections based on Entropedia of course.)

Gremlin is a heck of a lot cheaper than both when you count durability, and the fact that you won't have mobs doing "overkill" on you, decaying your armor more per hit than it should be.

Gremlin is a heck of a lot cheaper than both when you count durability, and the fact that you won't have mobs doing "overkill" on you, decaying your armor more per hit than it should be.

Well, yes, but we're getting away from the original subject, which was Smoerble trying to offer general suggestions about beginning armor.

Besides, in the above examples, gremlin has 8 less protection than either ghost or vigi on those two mobs, and against higher maturities, 8 extra dmg/hit may be the difference between killable and huntable.

But again, I don't think Smoerble's main point was about max armor eco, but about basic recommendations to beginners.

(yes, yes, ghost/vigi/grem aren't exactly beginner level. Like I said, I just hacked up/rewrote part of the OP's list :ahh:)

I'd personally prefer the words "low protection" rather than "bad protection" but it's a moot point. ;)

The costs to buy I don't want to put in here, it might change dramatically from time to time.

I mean the decay when it's beeing hit in combat.

I added this:

Berserker:
Unlimited - Crafted - TT+60
Expensive to buy but about 10% cheaper to use than Pixie
Mobs: Atrax(!) young, Daikiba, Exarosaur, Snarksnots, Combibos, Faucervix.

Would like to know, if you agree on that... basically the difference is about 12%.

Could I say, that the price difference pays back in about 20 to 30 hours hunting? (Assuming, a beginner has 3 PEDs decay on a pixie when hunting)?

Back