Beware of fake MindArk officials

Oberon

Guardian
Society
Shaolin
Oberon de Monmur
Just met this character in orange jumpsuit on TI and had a look at his soc, created 30 minutes earlier...
[br]Click to enlarge[/br]
Dunno what he's up to - but pretty sure it's no good...

Maybe a name filter, as suggested elsewhere, wouldn't be a bad idea, MindArk?

Regards
Oberon de Monmur

lame.. but if anyone get fooled by this easy trick. i feel sad for their intelligece lol ;)

Oberon said:
Dunno what he's up to - but pretty sure it's no good...

Maybe a name filter, as suggested elsewhere, wouldn't be a bad idea, MindArk?

He's trying to scam people by saying they are from MindArk.
Would be a good idea for MA to prevent socs being created with their name in it too :)

- Deathifier

In what rulebook have you read that it's prohibited to name your society to 'MindArk' ? I'm just wondering.

Despellanion said:
In what rulebook have you read that it's prohibited to name your society to 'MindArk' ? I'm just wondering.

The society is named a bit more than Mindark, and you should really check the EULA.

EDIT:
You cannot impersonate any member of MindArk staff, or fellow participants. You cannot impersonate being a MindArk staff member, employee, or claim having association with MindArk if you don't really are/have one. You cannot create any society that would indicate such links.

One person was even temporary locked for claiming that Mindark was a friend of his.

Recoda said:
The society is named a bit more than Mindark, and you should really check the EULA.
Yes I know that it says that you are not allowed to impersonate any memeber of the MindArk staff as I have read the EULA about 10 times. But has he impersonated a MindArk member? Has he spoken to you and said that he claims to be from MindArk? Or maybe he just likes the name 'MindArk' and want to use it for his society.

Despellanion said:
Yes I know that it says that you are not allowed to impersonate any memeber of the MindArk staff. But has he impersonated a MindArk member? Has he spoken to you and said that he claims to be from MindArk? Or maybe he just likes the name 'MindArk' and want to use it for his society.

Well, a part of the society is called Official Avatar. What would it tell you if you met a guy and saw a small text above his head that said Mindark - Official Avatar?

Recoda said:
Well, a part of the society is called Official Avatar. What would it tell you if you met a guy and saw a small text above his head that said Mindark - Official Avatar?
I would first read his nametag as I am familiar to what avatars trully are MindArk's.

Despellanion said:
I would first read his nametag as I am familiar to what avatars trully are MindArk's.

Yes, but I'm simply saying that official next to a companys name often indicates that a person wearing that sort of tag works for the company. This is strictly against the EULA. It doesn't matter if the person himself is called Mindark Official or Mindark Monitor.

The society name indicates that he's either working for Mindark or is out on an assignment gaven by Mindark. Neither of those are correct, so he is breaking the EULA.

Despellanion said:
But has he impersonated a MindArk member?
Yes.

Despellanion said:
Has he spoken to you and said that he claims to be from MindArk?
Yes.

Despellanion said:
Or maybe he just likes the name 'MindArk' and want to use it for his society.
Oh please, what reason (other than 'for fun') would you have to name a society some variation of MindArk (Official Avatar)?

I could understand something like "MindArk Cult of Worship" but really I see no good reason at all why *anyone* should be able to use the developers name as a society name.

Despellanion said:
Unfortunately the average person is not blessed with knowing all of MindArks staff, the avatars they use (official or not), or that MindArk never needs to speak to you, especially not ingame, if they wanted to do anything a scammer will promise.

In fact MindArk would never do something like that in the first place as it goes against their fairness guidelines.

The harder MindArk makes it to carry out these scams, the better.

- Deathifier

Despellanion said:
Yes I know that it says that you are not allowed to impersonate any memeber of the MindArk staff as I have read the EULA about 10 times. But has he impersonated a MindArk member? Has he spoken to you and said that he claims to be from MindArk? Or maybe he just likes the name 'MindArk' and want to use it for his society.

Umm - did you miss this?

You cannot create any society that would indicate such links.

Despellanion said:
Yeah, obviously. Still -there's no proof that he isn't from MindArk.

There is even less proof that he is.

Of course if you want to give him a bunch of minerals so he can craft your high-end armour 'gift' - go for it.
Just don't go complaining when he runs off with your stuff :laugh:

- Deathifier

Deathifier said:
There is even less proof that he is.

Of course if you want to give him a bunch of minerals so he can craft your high-end armour 'gift' - go for it.
Just don't go complaining when he runs off with your stuff :laugh:

- Deathifier
The chances that I would even give you the minerals (or anyone else that I aslo know are not scammers) are very slim. I don't care if it's an actuall MindArk avatar or a fake one. I never let my items leave the inventory or storage unless I get paid for it.

Any way a bit out of topic but....how do you make a society? I've never known.

Kpeters said:
Any way a bit out of topic but....how do you make a society? I've never known.

By using the society terminal. You will see the create new society and view applications buttons when you are not in any society. You can make a new society in 10 seconds from your first contatct with a soc terminal.

Back