Question: Can I link a Microsoft Excel document to display in a thread?

Captain Jack

Elite
Society
Endgame
I'd like to share my full hunting log, but updating one on forums is much more time consuming than punching the numbers into Excel. I've already got every hunt from the creation of my avatar documented in an Excel spreadsheet, and I'd like to display the whole thing, and keep updating it using Excel as I continue my hunts.
Or is there an easier way to punch in the numbers on a thread? So far I've been copy/pasting the format of my last hunt and editing the numbers.
Yes, I know, it's only about two minutes of time spent doing this, but with Excel it only takes me a few seconds.

I'd like to share my full hunting log, but updating one on forums is much more time consuming than punching the numbers into Excel. I've already got every hunt from the creation of my avatar documented in an Excel spreadsheet, and I'd like to display the whole thing, and keep updating it using Excel as I continue my hunts.
Or is there an easier way to punch in the numbers on a thread? So far I've been copy/pasting the format of my last hunt and editing the numbers.
Yes, I know, it's only about two minutes of time spent doing this, but with Excel it only takes me a few seconds.

Well, if you are talking about formatting it so it looks good on forum from Excel, then you could look into creating a macro to do this.

Have you tried to find a different output format that is possibly easier to copy and paste?

in libre office I can get it to preview in the browser (whatever that is supposed to be good for) which is easy to copy and paste.

In any case, if the forum is to implement such a feature, you probably want to make sure you can export in to csv, which will almost certainly be the format of choice.

Use a vbscript file to adjust the output to look decent in forums?
For vbscript to read excel files there are two different kind of approaches: Either you save in excel as tab separated text file and you parse that in your vbscript file (then it works "stand-alone") or you call excel functions from the vbscript file to read the excel data sheet (requires that excel is installed on computer where you run the vbscript file).
Optionally, let the vbscript file generate HTML files if you have some web server to put them on. (Yes, excel can probably save in HTML format but you'll probably get a payload of microsoft added "good things to have" in the HTML-code).

Perfectly sound suggestion.

Another option would be cut/paste in to a blog or something if you want. Wordpress, and I think blogspot both take cut/paste from excel as tables. Just got to be careful on how wide it is.

Save yourself a headache and import your xls into Google Docs, then share the link.

Or for better compatibility and usage, you can upload it into Skydrive (https://skydrive.live.com) and post the link on the forum.
You can edit Skydrive documents directly from web (Office web apps) or directly from the Office app from your PC (you can even pin a link on your Win7 taskbar :) ) or directly from your Phone (iPhone or Windows phone)

PS. I think that 25 GB of space on Skydrive is enough for your logs, dont you?

Back