Can PE recover from resellers?

vyad

Provider
Society
Assassins Inc.
Lord Vyad Drakanaki
I love this universe, started playing in '04. But the prices on items has become rediculous! Perhaps it's the nature of the RCE, but common, I took a break 2 months ago to move to another province and upon my return, vigi skyrocketed, bravos skyrocketed etc. Within 2 months...

Sure PE is dynamic but that is insane! I consider myself a low-mid level player. I like hunting, and can handle the losses, but when it costs $500 usd just to be able to hunt the way I like to, seams a little crazy...

How is a new player going to join and stay when they discover they either have to sweat for months or pay an insane amount of money upfront just to get started with some half decent gear...

Is PE doomed to be a rich-persons game? I've read some people suggest to remove the Buyout bids from the ingame market value system, which I agree may help. But now that people want 1700 ped for vigi makes me think I will never hunt bots again :(

Reseller is not the issue. Actualy the buyers are more of a problem than the resellers.

If MA does not have a new player retention plan, they are absolutly stupid. I dont think MA is stupid, its there, they are just waiting.

when it costs $500 usd just to be able to hunt the way I like to, seams a little crazy...

Perhaps you're wants exceed your means.

Obviously somebody is willing to pay the price, if that somebody isn't you, find something else to do.

I dont mind sweating if I am short on peds and want to get 20 ped for a hunt, and have nothing else to do for a few nights.

I've traded a bit, making a little profit, but it is against my morals to corner a martket on an item and jack the prices through the roof. I mean, if everyone did this, the prices would be worse then they are now.

Since returning from my break, I wanted to go hunt some bots, but I just don't have an extra $170 US to deposit just for the armour needed to stay alive. And that's basically for the low level bots.

I remember a VU a few years ago where armour parts started dropping like mad... perhpas MA could do that again for a day... would be a nice gesture...

Perhaps you're wants exceed your means.

Obviously somebody is willing to pay the price, if that somebody isn't you, find something else to do.

Not that... Vigi set cost about +550 only 2 months ago. I'd gladly pay that for it today if someone wants to sell it for that, but since it's skyrocketed, I doubt I will see it for less then +1K for a loooong time, if ever...

It's not about my wants exceeding my needs. It's about getting more people into the game to enjoy it as much as I have...

2 months ago, you could get Full vigi for +550, and a bravo for +300. Now it's +2400 if you want both.... That's quite a jump!

Perhaps I'll start reselling too...

Last edited:
It's not about my wants exceeding my needs. It's about getting more people into the game to enjoy it as much as I have...

I disagree, the more people in the game will just increase the markups even more. If they cannot afford to hunt some bots, they will find fun elsewhere, remember EU is dynamic.

If the markups become very high on an itam, so be it, only the rich can then afford. Obviously the markup has risen because the item is in high demand, that's RCE!!!!!!!

Go hunt something else!

It's like complaining about the cost of gas increasing, if you can't afford it, take the bus, ride a bike or try carpooling. There's an idea carpooling, why not get a group of people with some cheaper armors and go and hunt your bots with a team!

I would hope that more people would mean more drops...

It's not that I cannot afford it, my Avatar cannot ;)

Reseller is not the issue. Actualy the buyers are more of a problem than the resellers.

I've actually decided to opt out of the EU economy.

From this point forward I will only buy stuff from the TT (ammo) and use the repair terminal.

I have my UnL gun and my UnL armor and my UnL fap. So from there on out I'm free of the influence of resellers.

For me, it's TT+0 or nothing.

Vyad mate,

Just get yourself a set of Rascal and 6As (both have dropped in price). Thats the setup I have used since I ever started hunting bots can also hunt Warriors and Troopers in it too. I would say it is better setup than Vigi, may have to fap a bit but at least you then get those skills.

Your right tho, PE is doomed unless something is done soon. MAs master plan - create an (L) universe >_>. Good to see you back btw!

Me personally I love to see markups increasing on items, it makes me feel a hell of alot better about investing in something with a high markup.

Sure feels great to buy something and see a month later it's worth 150% of what you paid for it.

Imagine to be on the other end of the stick....all prices are falling? Would you even want to pay TT+300 if prices were on a decline? I wouldn't, I'd much rather pay TT+1k on an uptrend than TT+300 on a downtrend.

Vyad mate,

Just get yourself a set of Rascal and 6As (both have dropped in price). Thats the setup I have used since I ever started hunting bots can also hunt Warriors and Troopers in it too. I would say it is better setup than Vigi, may have to fap a bit but at least you then get those skills.

Your right tho, PE is doomed unless something is done soon. MAs master plan - create an (L) universe >_>. Good to see you back btw!

Hey man! Nice to see you to! Been awhile! I think I'll try your advice... I'm just kinda old school and like what's worked for me in the past. I always buy the same sub at Subway too...

V

I love this universe, started playing in '04. But the prices on items has become rediculous! Perhaps it's the nature of the RCE, but common, I took a break 2 months ago to move to another province and upon my return, vigi skyrocketed, bravos skyrocketed etc. Within 2 months...

Sure PE is dynamic but that is insane! I consider myself a low-mid level player. I like hunting, and can handle the losses, but when it costs $500 usd just to be able to hunt the way I like to, seams a little crazy...

How is a new player going to join and stay when they discover they either have to sweat for months or pay an insane amount of money upfront just to get started with some half decent gear...

Is PE doomed to be a rich-persons game? I've read some people suggest to remove the Buyout bids from the ingame market value system, which I agree may help. But now that people want 1700 ped for vigi makes me think I will never hunt bots again :(

Well, first of all, resellers are only a part of the problem. We have a closed system here, with increasing demand (new ppl joining, or existing ones upgrading their gear) and almost non-existant supply (no new items droping). Every economist will tell you that this means inflation, and a big one at that. Add resellers, investors and other factors, and you have insane inflation.

However, it's not so terrible at it seems. Not everything is inflating, and in fact, the stuff that is inflating, is by far not vital for a normal gameplay. There's lots of affordable L guns, ghost is cheaper than ever, same for faps. Amps are a bit of a problem, but you still can get a104 for ~400 or so, blp amps like beast are even more cheaper. Of course if you want to be exclusively a warrior hunter, then you need a vigi. But for everything else, ghost, rascal, shogun and a decent set of plates will protect you enough against almost every mob ingame.

To give a bit of a perspective... Current massive inflation irl is mostly affecting food, and fuel, a very vital part of consumables. And you can't just stop using food :D As i said, in EU it's quite different, you don't need to buy those inflating items, and still be a successful hunter.

From a miner's perspective, it's even better. Since almost all tools are L, there's no problem of inflation. Actually what we have been seeing for the last year or so, is a massive deflation in a mining tool's section.

Me personally I love to see markups increasing on items, it makes me feel a hell of alot better about investing in something with a high markup.

Sure feels great to buy something and see a month later it's worth 150% of what you paid for it.

Imagine to be on the other end of the stick....all prices are falling? Would you even want to pay TT+300 if prices were on a decline? I wouldn't, I'd much rather pay TT+1k on an uptrend than TT+300 on a downtrend.

Sure, I'd love to buy something for +100 and have the price jump to +1000. But I'd rather see an item retain it's value months later... That way If I sell it and switch to say... mining, when I decide to hunt again, it costs the same to get started again.

Also, I am wanting to discuss saving PE from the reseller trend. Seams more and more resellers are coming in, which dooms those who just want to play, making mid-level hunting a fantasy for those with an average game budget... maybe I should make a poll... what is your ingame monthly budget...

Nice chatting with you all and reading your thoughts. I gotta go home (at work atm :D )

Sure, I'd love to buy something for +100 and have the price jump to +1000. But I'd rather see an item retain it's value months later... That way If I sell it and switch to say... mining, when I decide to hunt again, it costs the same to get started again.

Also, I am wanting to discuss saving PE from the reseller trend. Seams more and more resellers are coming in, which dooms those who just want to play, making mid-level hunting a fantasy for those with an average game budget... maybe I should make a poll... what is your ingame monthly budget...

I do not understand why you would rather see an item retain the same value so you can sell it and buy it again later, makes much more sense to want it to increase and just hold onto it!

As for the poll, a budget implies people are making deposits and taking losses. Some people never deposit and make money (it is possible with enough knowledge/determination).

Only way this game will stop being a rich-persons game is if MA takes some drastic decisions. And, if MA does that, then all those people who paid high prices and think of their items as "investments" will start crying because they will lose 1000s of USD. I think items worth 5000 to 10000 USD is somewhat reasonable, but 30000USD+... that just blows my mind.

To be honest, i think the player retention would be much higher if items were cheaper and our money would last longer. Of course, everyone will say that this game can cost you as least or as much as you want, but it takes its toll on the fun factor. Would i like to be up on CND shooting some Daspletors? Yes. But, i'm not about to deposit 100000USD+ just for that.

When i started back in the beginning of 2003, 20$s was enough to keep you going for months. I looted my full nemesis off the creatures of Calypso in about 3 months. I'm not even sure how we got from people depositing a couple of 100 dollars a year to 1000s of dollars a year.

I'm glad i was around in the old days, because I got to see how much more fun it was when you weren't constantly worrying about your PED card. Okay, there was a lot of bugs... but if we had today's EU with the economy of 4-5 years ago, this game would be kickass! I think we'd have a nice 3-4 million registered accounts by now :).

Ahhhhh the EU economy...

But now that people want 1700 ped for vigi makes me think I will never hunt bots again :(

If you just want drones then Vigi is an overkill anyway, you'd be better off in Shogun or Rascal with plates 5C or 3B or 6A. Much cheaper to buy and cheaper on decay.

Gypsy

Vyad mate,

Aye and if rascal is not readily available and your looking for eco and cheap armor ...

Kobold & 6A, extremely cheap repair bills and you can also use the Armor to take on any impact/cut & cold based mobs too such as feffoids etc, couple it with 5B and your laughing for taking on most mid range mobs within EU in an eco fashion.

Take Care,
Sparkz

PS. Even Allophyls upto dominant should not be too difficult with 5B plated kobold (without the electric protection). A little fapping from time to time, but nothing too overdemanding.

Last edited:
I think from the word go PE/EU has been a rich mans game. Without a capped deposit structure, it will always be a rich mans domain.

To relate the above think of it like this....

Why do sporting leagues like soccer/rugby/basketball have salary caps? To avoid one team who happens to have a hell of a lot of money buying out all the good players. With a salary cap & draft selection structure all teams have a seemingly equal chance at attaining top atheletes.
However in EU due to non capped deposits, if one person can deposit say 10K U$D which in theory will inject an extra 100,000PED in to the economy, what would be the outcome of this when there could be 100 people in one day depositing that much? Inflation

On the other hand one way to to tackle inflation in this game would be:

1. MA would need to drop more high markup items in order to satisfy demand. - Which will not happen, MA gurantee tt value not markup. So all that high end markup equals extra depositing in MA bank account.

2. Start to cap deposits - Ye right, I dont think MA would ever do that.

3. Raise auction taxes and or deposit/withdraw taxes. - If this were to happen the crowd will go mad, hmmm has anyone seen a protest or strike in EU? that would be interesting....

Just my thoughts :scratch2:

Only way this game will stop being a rich-persons game is if MA takes some drastic decisions. And, if MA does that, then all those people who paid high prices and think of their items as "investments" will start crying because they will lose 1000s of USD. I think items worth 5000 to 10000 USD is somewhat reasonable, but 30000USD+... that just blows my mind.

To be honest, i think the player retention would be much higher if items were cheaper and our money would last longer. Of course, everyone will say that this game can cost you as least or as much as you want, but it takes its toll on the fun factor. Would i like to be up on CND shooting some Daspletors? Yes. But, i'm not about to deposit 100000USD+ just for that.

When i started back in the beginning of 2003, 20$s was enough to keep you going for months. I looted my full nemesis off the creatures of Calypso in about 3 months. I'm not even sure how we got from people depositing a couple of 100 dollars a year to 1000s of dollars a year.

I'm glad i was around in the old days, because I got to see how much more fun it was when you weren't constantly worrying about your PED card. Okay, there was a lot of bugs... but if we had today's EU with the economy of 4-5 years ago, this game would be kickass! I think we'd have a nice 3-4 million registered accounts by now :).

Ahhhhh the EU economy...

I'm El, and I support this message.

(saved me all that typing)

Since returning from my break, I wanted to go hunt some bots, but I just don't have an extra $170 US to deposit just for the armour needed to stay alive. And that's basically for the low level bots.

Predator+3B :wtg:

Never mind the resellers... What about us who sit on/stock pile equip? How does that affect the economy of the game? I only have low to mid eco gear in storage, but we all know others are holding on to a LOT more?:scratch2:

Edit; MA is not going to drop anymore good gear if they think enough is out there already...

Last edited:
There will always be resellers, in one form or another. Always.

If there wasn't people selling the gear they don't need, there'd be limited crap on auction :rolleyes:

You know I wonder how many people besides me regret to have been a hardcore reseller thro all these years. Be rich like some people I know.

Ok, some thoughts from me....
If something doesn't work or doesn't gain MA; they remove it. So why
are resellers more successful than ever? Because MA "like" them.
As long extreme markup help them to get total amount of USD in depos
larger then a lot of small depos, the strategy with extreme markup will
continue.
The day system allows 20-30x more active and MA can make more from
small depos of a lot of people instead, that day we will see a change...

As pointed out by others there are cheaper alternatives that will get the job done. So why is it so bad that there are a few items that are very rare and there for has a very high price? I just don't get it...

the problem is not related to resellers but to buyers. As long as there is someone willing to pay such amounts we will have those prices. Unfortunately, there are a lot of them, but sooner or later they will understand, that they invested into air. It can be that this takes some further years.

Back