@ DEVS - Please fix the memory leak!

Sn0wst0rm

Dominant
Society
Freelancer
Mr Sn0wst0rmz X
Guys, recently came back (again) after a long break to find that while in game, entropia uses more and more ram over a period of a few hours to the point that my 32gb can take no more and the game black screens and crashes. Been back a few days at it happens regular unless I relog when I feel the game starts to lag.

It's 2020, we should not have this kind of issue, when all it takes is for correct game code to flush ram at regular intervals...

Please fix

CRYSTAL PALACE can't craft for more than 20 mins till your out of memory.
Maybe someone can do a case study on that one.
Caves still lagged out too.

Bring more info, like your OS version, CPU and GPU used , graphic detail you using in game, have you updated gpu driver.
No memory leak here playing in low quality preset.

Same here. After a period of time, game simply crashes out, usually a few hours or after having jumped between 3 or 4 locations. Doesn't happen with any other game or app.

My details ?

Windows 10 64 bit

MSI Meg Ace X570 mobo
R9 3900x 4.1 mhz 12 core cpu - Water cooler
RX 5700 XT 8 gb GPU
32gb ddr4 3200 mhz dual channel corsair vengance ram
1tB Samsung SSD
165hz gaming monitor

Game settings used - Default

I run games like D2 etc on max graphic settings at 165 hz fps and do not get these crashes.

Last edited:
rx 5700 xt I guess? Weird, I have a similar setup (16gb instead of 32) and no problems.

I suspect some graphic settings to trigger these leaks, they upgraded engine not so long ago, probably need some tweaking on their end, you can try different graphic quality presets to see if anything make it more stable

Yes, I’ve seen it too
It’s sad and it effects FPS
Eventually you’ll get a ~33% loss

I had the same issue and solved the problem by setting Windows virtual memory at a very high value.

Can also confirm this is an on-going and current issue. The memory leaks seem to be specific to some areas in the game, but not all. I only play on Calypso, and depending on where I go and move about to, after a few hours EU will crash. I always check the Windows Event Viewer after and it always says at the time of crash that EU is consuming over 28 GB of memory.

Here's an example of one such log entry:
Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: Entropia.exe (2740) consumed 29306376192 bytes, chrome.exe (2872) consumed 327745536 bytes, and Discord.exe (2208) consumed 318590976 bytes.

29306376192 bytes = 29.3 GB

Warning, Event 2004, Resource-Exhaustion-Detector

That's what to look for in the Windows Event Viewer.

By the time it reaches this point, video memory is also usually almost completely consumed. Usually around 7.6 of 8 GB.

To give you an idea, when I first load Entropia and play for the first 5 minutes, system memory consumption by Entropia is usually around 2-4 GB with video memory consumption at around 2 GB. Then as I play those just continually climb, until resources are completely consumed and Windows force shuts down the game and usually some other applications running along with it (eg. Discord and/or Chrome).

That is pretty much the exact definition of a memory leak issue. Memory consumption is not being released and purged as portions of it are no longer required or in use.

Virtual Memory is properly configured on my computer, so please don't suggest that is the issue. Have no other issues with anything else ever.

i7-9700K
32 GB DDR4 C16
EVGA 2060 Super XC Ultra 8 GB

Playing at 1920x1080 with all game settings maxed.

Crystal Palace also have this issue.

After a mining run, I usually look up the nearest auction to sell resources.
Now I noticed that I also have crashes but only on certain servers or outposts.
For me it doesn't matter what resolution I play in, but apparently I have the crashes in either one.
I now keep going to a server where I don't have any crashes to sell my resources and this seems to work.
Have also informed support about this, but only get the normal standard mail as an answer.
I do wonder if anything else happened to those reports, months later I return and get the same crashes.

So probably the crashes are due to the server where you are and not to your PC, that's what I think of course.

if it wasn't so tragic it would be funny. sort of like how the RL commies are stealing our freedoms. wait, what!?! nooooo! you don't think....?

My specs seem quite a bit lower than yours and I am able to play, stream and record for 5-6 hours in a row with no issues whatsoever.

1. Have you noticed that it happens in specific places? Perhaps i am just not going to the places you are going. Could be that only certain assets aren't unloading.

2. Have you tried turning down your in-game setting to see if it still happens? If you play in safe mode for example and it doesn't crash could we narrow it down to certain textures that are duplicating.

3. Have you noticed that it happens a lot more in areas where there are a large number of other avatars or mobs?

The more specific you get with your information the more chances there are that it will get fixed. If you can say hey its this texture or this area or this particular mob they're more likely to look at it and hopefully fix it than if you say Hey there is a memory leak, Check EVERYTHING and fix it right now pl0x.

I've always noticed it's the worst where other players/avatars frequent. Camp Icarus, Twin Peaks, etc. For Crystal Palace, it happens around the terminals.

I can usually go out and hunt for 3-4 hours straight no issue. But if I stand around and socialize in Camp Icarus it only takes like 20-30 minutes before all system resources are consumed if it's busy. Yet if I leave the area and go elsewhere, no resources are freed up. In fact, more are just consumed as it loads new textures, shaders, etc. into memory. None of the other assets from the previous area I was in are ever released from memory. Avatar assets, mob assets, scenery assets, etc. all just continue to reside in memory it seems.

The more specific you get with your information the more chances there are that it will get fixed. If you can say hey its this texture or this area or this particular mob they're more likely to look at it and hopefully fix it than if you say Hey there is a memory leak, Check EVERYTHING and fix it right now pl0x.

Mindark already fails to address the problems in cave instances where it's just you and a handful of mobs. At least the Argo-cave can only be done when you change that one setting I can't think of right now (something with focus on next mob outside of your view). There are more than one threads about various issues of that kind. Those problems aren't new and popped up with a variety of VUs. No chance to see that get fixed.

There was that one VU where all of a sudden things looked totally smooth on my PC and everything was fast and no lag (and no, I wasn't playing under the influence of anything). A few days later they updated that back to normal :(

But if I stand around and socialize in Camp Icarus it only takes like 20-30 minutes before all system resources are consumed if it's busy. Yet if I leave the area and go elsewhere, no resources are freed up. In fact, more are just consumed as it loads new textures, shaders, etc. into memory. None of the other assets from the previous area I was in are ever released from memory. Avatar assets, mob assets, scenery assets, etc. all just continue to reside in memory it seems.

This covers my thoughts and experiences. Also happens at the sweating communities at Royal's and Boreas, Twin Peaks and to a certain extent Port Atlantis.

I've never been to Toulan, but entering that moon seems to be an experience on its own...

Unfortunately this is still happening
I can provide more details, but I think I’ve tried everything on my end
Not sure if it will do any good since MA won’t listen.
I start around 120 FPS and eventually will drop to around 80 after ~an hour of play.

The worst area that I have encountered is the Magic Muschroom. (Running high end PC)

Back