• No

Votes: 14 23.7%

• Total voters

sKittLes

Provider
Society
The Expandables
Martin skitty Decibelus
Ok.. Here is what is going one.. I have a disciple that wants me to let him go.
He is @ 25% and now he wants to chip and he cannot do that beacuse he is a disciple. I don't want to let him go beacuse I feel it is not fair. I got him as my disciple just after hatching. I told him what to do, and how to do.. sweating, hunting, armors, faps, amps (even got one at a very low price for him) - in other words I spent some time with him. And for that I want my mentor price that I will receive @ the end..

Now he wants to get loose..couse he will deposit and wants to chip..

I mean... Why doesn't can't he ditch ME after a while? This must have a meaning. Only I can ditch him.. And this has to have a point

So.. What would you do in this case.. would you let him go or not?

I understand the frustration but I would let him go, especially at only 25%

A good mentor will look to the future of the game as well and the relationship being built up. If you let him go he will thank you for it. If you try to tie him in you will lose respect and he may even decide to quit as a result.

Besides... the mentor gifts ain't really worth ruining any reputation and possible friendship over.

Just my opinion.

I help lots of people but rarely ever take on a disciple. They are then free to find one elsewhere or choose to do what they like. If they want me to be a mentor then I may do so. I never help with the thought of a prize at the end of it.

Best of luck to you and your disciple with whatever option you decide.

Xany

While strictly speaking the system of nog being able to ditch your mentor is constructed to protect the investment of time in your disciple I think we should also realize this is a game.

While you have invested time, the disciple is at 25 % and still has a lot of skilling to do before graduating. Your Disciple seems to indicate that he wants to chip.. In other words he does not want to spend the time to graduate in a natural way. Instead he wants to accelerate by chipping. The chance is slim that he will graduate by skilling so.. there is not much to loose.

Figure your alternatives:

You do not let him go:
Most likely response:
Disciple will create a new avatar, not take a mentor and chip. Besides that he will at best be neutral but possibly negative about your relationship.
Alternative response:
He tries to skill but eventually looses interest before graduating.. Remember : 25% graduation seems like being at 25% but in reality its a lot less due to the regressive skill gain....

You let him go
He will appreciate your gesture and have a positive attitude towards you in the game. In addition he has an IOU towards you for bending the rules in favour of him..

seems obvious.

Mentor gifts are rarely really interesting: in my case I got a A&P series brave ME. Its TT is 0 when you get it and market price was around TT+10 so for all those hours you get a reward that is worth 3 hours of sweating (at todays prices). In other words if you do it for the money you might as well sweat for a few hours. the return is probably better. And yes indeed there is a chance that you get a big gift but realize that you are a long way away at 25%

A nice sweetener from your disciple might be for him to buy an ME weapon for you in auction and offer it in exchange for release. But that would be generous.

good luck

eagle

What Xany and eagle said :wise:

He wants to chip => he will deposit cash.

Bad for you, good for the game x)

I'd have him to finish up. It'll only take 5-6 days to graduate in rifle or handgun if you're serious and dedicated. Not a big deal. Besides, it'll learn him that real experience can't be bought.

Am I the first to think he might not want to deposit or chip.. Althought I cant seem to think of a reason to use as excuse.

If he really want's to, I'd just let him go. Then again, I do most of what you have done for your disciplie, but without being mentor, nor recieving a gift. So with my approch it wouldnt really matter to me anyway.

I should let him chip (if it really is that he wants/gonna do).
I think its dumb that you cant chip up when in decipletime.
MA wants us to be mentors, and make people stay ingame.
But chipping is only allowed to thoose newcomers that really
is on their own. Weird logic.

If anything, I think that it should be the opposite, that without a mentor,
and low skills, you shouldnt be allowed to chip, but with a mentor
(who tells you how to do it, and how not to waste money) you should.
Either way MA get´s their share.

I'd have him to finish up. It'll only take 5-6 days to graduate in rifle or handgun if you're serious and dedicated. Not a big deal. Besides, it'll learn him that real experience can't be bought.

Yes and no. It will only teach him that experience can't be bought if he's not too busy being resentful about having to do it rather than chip. If he resents it too much, he may not do it at all. It really depends on the person. If he's really insistent upon wanting to chip rather than skill, he will find a way to do that and may develop a negative impression of skilling overall.

Skittles, have you talked with him to find out why he wants to chip? Is it because he thinks EU will be more interesting at a higher level? Does he want to be able to use a certain weapon/hunt a certain mob? Maybe if you can find out the underlying reason for his motivation you can come up with a way that satisfies both of your needs. Maybe, if it's a certain mob he wants to hunt, doing more in a team with him against that mob will make the progression easier. Obviously, he isn't having fun at his level and it would be to your advantage to know why so that you can find out if you can fix that/make suggestions. Find that little niche that helps him focus on the enjoyment more than on the skilling. Maybe he thinks it will take "forever" for him to graduate. Have you discussed with him his goals and preferred timelines to achieve those goals?

Personally, I would see if there is any way at all to maintain the mentorship without generating resentment from the disciple. If a creative solution that satisfies both of you can't be found, I would let him go.

Hugs,
Aliana

If he really wants to chip I would let him go.

But something is a bit amiss here that I would like to mention.
To chip skills is very expensive!
Why do I mention that as it is obvious?
I mention it because having a one week dedicated hunt would most likely even cost less than the skill chip needed for the levels.

So either two things can be true now:
1) He really is that impatient
2) He has not understood chipping

If 1 is true I would definitely let him go.
But if 2 is true I would make sure that he really understood chipping.
Because maybe he misunderstood and believes he can not use mindforce chips,
or the costs involved are unclear to him, so I would definitely check out if he 100% knows what he wants.

I would say you need to let him go. Better to end the mentorship on good terms rather than have him quit or start a new avatar. Either way I don't think you will ever get your mentor gift.

It also sounds as if you are only doing this because you want the gift, a lot of people mentor just to help out others, not just for some gift.

You could also offer an incentive if he finishes, a percentage of the value of the gift you recieve. Might be enough to convince him to keep working.

You got a disciple at 25% too, same here only pity is he seems to have left without a trace.

I would let him go, otherwise he could leave due to not being able to leave you. But on the other hand you want a gift for the time spent on him, so you deserve him to finish.
Mentorship i see as helping newcomers from the start till when they know econmics, sweating, hunting, trading (basics of tt+ etc), and anything else they find relevant to their profession and such.
And if they hang with you till the gift thats great that they wnat sucess but they probaly know everything almost by the time they reach 30%.

Test your disciple to see how they are, as knowledge is just as important as skills and a %.
But i would recomend not to keep him stuck under your mentorship, you may not get the gift this time, but there are bound to be other opportunities.
Its mainly for his benefit in the mind and freindship rather than a gift.
But you can still decide.

Skittles, have you talked with him to find out why he wants to chip? Is it because he thinks EU will be more interesting at a higher level?

The fact is that he looted a chip and now he want to implant it.. And yes he said that he want the game to be more interesting.

After all I've read here I think you are all right. I think I will let him go.
Someone said that @ 30% you teached your disciple almost everything.. or lets say all the basics.. And I feel the same way.. And It's very dissapointing too see that after you did that he want to leave.. especially when he tells you this in a rude tone.. like mine did..

But anyway, I guess these are the risks of mentoring.. even if it gives you a good feeling to get the completion prize (especially for a nondepositer like me), I found out (my mentor was right) that only 1 in 7-8 disciples are graduating.

So, I will let him go. My morale will be a little low..but what the heck.. :) I'll get over it

10x for feedback

talking about 2 different types of chipping here.. .... and not certain which one started the thread.

first chip is skills .. and true, disciples can NOT chip skills.

second is mind force - here disciples CAN chip.... especially heal and tp.
and frankly, i have encouraged my friends to get these chips, (even if they are disciples) they can be necessary if they end up being stuck in any of the forsaken outposts.

as for canceling mentorship, that is a mutual choice. if either feels that progress is not being made together, evaluate... and decide together.

when i was a disciple, i felt like asking my mento to let me go, tell him to skill on argonauts, it should go bye abit fast...wel at least for me it was, i was a disciple a long while ago so skilling for begginers is different now and so are argo's, but argos are the best mob for begginers to train on if they have moderate equips, hope this helps

i voted cut him loose. when it comes down to it, you cant make him want to stay.

2000 rifle in 5 or 6 days? maybe if skilled and dedicated means you play 5 days 24 hours a day and can deposit as much as you please.
ive played for 2 months, about 2 to 3 hours 4 days a week and 80% of that time is on an opolo or a breer shooting. im at 1300 now probably 10 days to go.
10k rounds cost 10 bucks, count on 80 to 100 bucks to reach 2k rifle

Last edited:
It could just be a phase. Try and convince him that chipping is just a way of cheating and really makes the game no fun anymore.

On the other hand, if he really wants to, ask him to give you some of the money he puts on in return.

i'd say let him go if thats what he wants, forcing him to play by your rules and not letting him be able to chip while he wants to ruins the game experience for him. you should advise him of whats best for him but you shouldn't force him and not let him go if he wants out.

Back