Does skill affect maxed weapon or hunt?

N00b

Provider
I'm just curious,

I'm a lvl 30 but i keep hunting with a opallo sga, i refuse to use higer lvl weaps.

My question is;

Does my skill affect my hunting in any way once a weap is maxed?

NO your rifle skills don't, so you can easily chip out some to make some money. (since you will not use anything else then opalo sga)

Yes your other skills do (like evade, medicine etc.)

I'd say, look for some new friends who are around you're lvl.
Step up in gun & amp, team up & hunt some better mobs.
There are more "eco" toys in eu then an opalo

lol, I just forgot to answer you're question.
Yes the extra skills do matter, it gives more hp evader lvl etc..
It makes it easier & cheaper to kill but I also believe it somehow affects loot.

Das

Last edited:
yes, defence skill, i agree,

But what about loot (serendipity?) ,
or other; dmg related when under attack? (combat reflexes?)

I mean, things that affect my hunt directly, loot, dmg, ...

the combat reflex will help you on evader/dodger profession so those make you save in defense cost. Actual loot, I think tt return is the same for everyone. Not sure if we can include defense cost in it, but if you keep those at a normal cost (hunt on you're lvl & not above) you should be ok.
Thing I'm trying to say is that there is more mu for you to loot out there if you would step up in gear & mobs. This should allow you to grind easier (kill more) & then the hof should come eventually.

The idea is to skill as cheap as possible,

At my lvl using sib guns is not eco, i hope we can agree on that, compared to skilling with a opallo, (risk and return compared to skill gained)

I think using weaps with minimum ammo burn is the best to skill eco (disregarding sib), asuming the house always wins and you loose mony hunting...

My setup is Goblin sga set, upgraded to tier 1 and opallo sga without enhancers (not eco on lo lvl weaps) and a A101

This is the best ubernoob setup i could think of (in function of skilling), but i would like to hear other more eco proposals (again in function of skilling)

N00b,

I have seen pictures of overmaxed weapons somewhere on EF. I don't know if it really makes a difference, but there are pictures around of (non-sib) weapons that have (slightly) higher range then max.

Other stats do not show more then max, but maybe they do? HA probably doesn't get better though, as that has been tested a lot.

Like the skill killstrike you will get extra 1.1 in damige for 1000 points of the skill.

there is no penalty for using weapons way below your skill level afaik. same with mobs below your possibilities.

Skills have no correlation to % loot return

HA, CHA and dmg/max does.

Skills do have an impact on loot, however not on the lootsizes. But higher skills give a higher chance to get "rarer" loot. However the difference is NOT big.

Skills do have an impact on loot, however not on the lootsizes. But higher skills give a higher chance to get "rarer" loot. However the difference is NOT big.

Never listen to anything this guy's saying. Seriously. He claims to know how everything works but is still depositing :D

Never listen to anything this guy's saying. Seriously. He claims to know how everything works but is still depositing :D

and then i would say never listen to the ignorant ones who know nothing :)

What evidence are you basing that on?

What evidence are you basing that on?

Me chipping in certain skill(s) and seeing a clear although small change in my loot of rarer stuff. I chipped in perhaps something around 800-1k ped in skill x going from hmm 3kish i think to 5,something in skilllevel and i loot a more rare extractors and more of the "rarer" wools ie higher markup etc.

Me chipping in certain skill(s) and seeing a clear although small change in my loot of rarer stuff. I chipped in perhaps something around 800-1k ped in skill x going from hmm 3kish i think to 5,something in skilllevel and i loot a more rare extractors and more of the "rarer" wools ie higher markup etc.

I'd be very interested to see your hunting log detailing this - mine showed no change in amount of rarer wool/hide drops spanning 20 levels worth of hunts on the same mob.

At my lvl using sib guns is not eco, i hope we can agree on that, compared to skilling with a opallo, (risk and return compared to skill gained)

I think using weaps with minimum ammo burn is the best to skill eco (disregarding sib), asuming the house always wins and you loose mony hunting...

My setup is Goblin sga set, upgraded to tier 1 and opallo sga without enhancers (not eco on lo lvl weaps) and a A101

This is the best ubernoob setup i could think of (in function of skilling), but i would like to hear other more eco proposals (again in function of skilling)

N00b,

You should at least try some hunts with other weapons to see how your cost/hunt and skillgains go. You could try Breer M2a+a102 which would give you slightly better eco, significantly more dps, and probably more skillgains per hunt. Riker 2 + a103 would boost your eco, dps, and probably skillgains even more.

N00b,

No I disagree.
There are a few low level SIB guns which have a better eco than Opalo SGA/A101 even considering their markup.

Damage and hit skills come largely from a combination of DPS and number of kills. So the best way to get skills faster is to use a bigger gun and kill more mobs (within reason ofc).

With a Breer or a Riker you should be able to improve your eco and increase the rate at which you gain skills. Although you may get less evade and fap skills as a result.

There are a few low level SIB guns which have a better eco than Opalo SGA/A101 even considering their markup.

Absolutely correct. I suggest using this tool to determine your hunting economy http://www.entropiatools.com/avgdmgpec.php

Opalo SGA + A101 = 2.841 damage/pec and 6.199 damage/second

BreerM2A at 118.28% markup + A102 = 2.879 damage/pec and 10.166 damage/second

RikerUL2 at 106.18% markup + A103 = 2.907 damage/pec and 15.295 damage/second

Opalo/A101 offers fantastic eco and the fact that the combo is unlimited is convenient because you don't have to keep buying new guns. There are, however, much more eco/higher damage options for a low level hunter.

Skills above maxed weapon do still have value.

More evading skills help of course, all the hp related skills continue giving you hp etc.

Having a profession of 50 doesn't help you when the weapon is maxed at 10, but there are other benefits from the skills you keep gaining besides profession level.

As well as letting you unlock other skills, that contribute to hp. The best hp skill in game is an unlock.

----------

As for more skills = more rares. I couldn't say one way or another. Nothing has jumped out at me being more common at with say handgun at 6.5k instead of 3k.

I can say i looted a few rares in the last couple of months where as i didn't before. Nothing worth much, but i didn't see any 'rare' items till i was in the high 30s on profession level. However rares are well RARE.....so its no surprise i wouldn't loot many or none in the lower profession levels; strictly because once you have accumulated enough looting events to have a reasonable chance to get them, you aren't low level anymore.

As for uncommon extractors or paints etc, i keep detailed logs on this, and ive seen no change in their drop rates as my skill as gone up. Now that ive been watching maturity more closely i DO see clear distinctions in what some maturities drop vs others, and if you are in a area that rarely has one maturity and move to another that has them more commonly, this can easily explain a change in pain cans, or extractors, or some other small item that is looting more commonly then it use to.

Id like to think more skills = better chance to get rare items, but i have no proof either way.

With the clear exception of mining. More skills = higher profession level = ability to use deep finder = greater chance of rare ore. That one is easy to see. Its not a stretch to think hunting equipment could influence the loot dropped. However i have no proof nor gut feel either way.

-----------

P.S. opallo at 30....talk about PAIN. Especially if you have used it enough to get level 30 without using other weapons!

As others have said there are much better weapons you could use, lots will be more eco then opallo+a102.

However as you mentioned, more dps = more turnover = more loss/time if you lose. And that's certainly true, unless you can find something to hunt that isn't loss, or is less of a loss then what you are hunting now. The other weapons certainly open up a LOT more options then opallo does.

and then i would say never listen to the ignorant ones who know nothing :)

Hence no one should believe anything you say. Talk is cheap you know, waiting for almost a year for any evidence. Liked your 17% hitrate vid though...awsome skillgain mining, my average is 25% and above.

I'd be very interested to see your hunting log detailing this - mine showed no change in amount of rarer wool/hide drops spanning 20 levels worth of hunts on the same mob.

well 20 levels wouldnt be THAT much of a difference actually. I chipped in a skill from where i was at lvl 25ish and now i think if i would had skilled manually in that skill i would be at lvl 50ish for that skill that is. So just a change for 20 levels wouldnt show much of a difference, unless you chipped in this particular skill sort of.

I'm just curious,

I'm a lvl 30 but i keep hunting with a opallo sga, i refuse to use higer lvl weaps.

My question is;

Does my skill affect my hunting in any way once a weap is maxed?

I used an Opalo till 32 if I recall correctly, although skill increases gets real slow after that so switched to Riker UL2.

Nothing wrong with carrying on with the Opalo if youre the patient type. :)

I agree with noobs argument that the house always wins.

If you can kill a mob using a plain vanilla opalo, then you should unless the regen/armour decay adds too much cost.

Although using a marked up sib weapon with a big amp theoretically gives more eco, thus saving you some pecs here and there, the cost of lag misses is not included in this calc, neither is failure to use a finisher or the choice of a mob.

and all that is simply the cost side. the loot side, although mindark/fpc categorically deny this has been really deminished since vu 9.4

I know this because I work with typical loot vs cost to kill a mob.

typical loot:
shoot 100/200 of the same mobs, exclude mini's and globals, write down the tt worth of all the loots and calculate the typical loot of a mob

then kill 50 mobs using a particular gun setup, count the shots/decay and write down the cost to kill a mob

I found sometimes a breer/m2a combo is more expensive then opalo if you don't switch to a finisher, or if you have lag misses. lag misses simply hit you harder on the cost side if your gun is bigger.(because lag misses aren't a constant factor it doesn't even out)

Using this method I now no longer hunt particular mobs, because I have seen the cost to kill vs typical loot balance shift in a negative spiral.

For example, the molisk does not have the same typical loot as it used to have. This is due to certain items no longer dropping from Molisk ,also the cost to kill has gone up due to higher regen, and typical loot didn't go up with the cost to kill, also the price of teeth has plumeted.
Typical loot was 78 pec for molisk young. cost to kill using an amped opalo was 65 pec. Now the typical loot is as low as 45 pec while cost to kill has gone up to 80-100 pec.

This situation is continuing as time progresses.
There are mobs I now avoid like the plague, because I know they won't loot. ( faul, caudatergus, small merp etc)

The only mobs still worth hunting (with a low setup like amped opalo) are snables, exarosaur, drones, argo, atrax and berycled

Last edited:
well 20 levels wouldnt be THAT much of a difference actually. I chipped in a skill from where i was at lvl 25ish and now i think if i would had skilled manually in that skill i would be at lvl 50ish for that skill that is. So just a change for 20 levels wouldnt show much of a difference, unless you chipped in this particular skill sort of.

Please help me understand what you are saying. You chipped in skill _____. Before the chip in, you were level ______ in the profession ______ and you got "rare" loots ____%of the time. After the chip in, you became level ______ in the profession ______ and got "rare" loots _____% of the time from the same mobs and maturities you previously hunted.

After being disapointed with m4a and a few other L guns with too much markup a long time ago I settled into M2as (they were like +3 peds at the time i think) and i grinded up from around 16 to 30. I didn't have the patience for just opalo hunting and I wanted to cycle a bit more peds a day. Nothing wrong with your method. As mega said its just painfully slow.

After 30 I switched to pistols (p4/p5) and never had retreats using either. Many think L is the boogieman but with the m2 / h400/p4/ p5 i had good experiences.

To answer your question about loot cycle peds you get loot. Don't cycle them you won't.

kosmos

Back