FYI: Downloading Dynamic Content Sucks :(

narfi

Elite
Society
Lost Renegades
Narfi Hungry Willem
Dont know if its just me and my wife, or if its the same for everyone, but the last couple days it seems like everytime I go to log in it needs to download dynamic content that takes 30-120 minutes. Now I realize that lots of people have faster connections than me so they may not have noticed as much, but I have very little free time so when I sit down to play on my lunch break or whatever I dont have time for this, it pretty much means I cant play :/

My wife's computer for some reason has never been able to run the updater application, so she always has to download the patches and run the manualy. Yesterday she couldnt even do that since there are no new paches showing at download.entropiauniverse.com so i copied my full install over to her computer and then it still wanted to do dynamic downloads which ended up failing several times.
I think the dynamic dls are actually working on her computer now, they just take a long time, so im not sure what will be up with the updater application now.

Anyways just frustrated because i have a 60 minute lunch break and cant even get into the game :/
Any of you guys been having trouble with the dynamic downloads or having several of them per day?
narfi

Yeah, I don't really understand this dynamic stuff. It downloads a patch, and then it downloads some "dynamic content" (whatever that is...) that for me has run at a high of around 20 mb/s which is fast, but still takes a few minutes to download.

It's a huge amount of data coming through, regardless. I guess somewhere along the way Mindark got confused about the definition of the word "dynamic" and thinks it means "to ruin one's entertainment"

Yeah, I don't really understand this dynamic stuff. It downloads a patch, and then it downloads some "dynamic content" (whatever that is...) that for me has run at a high of around 20 mb/s which is fast, but still takes a few minutes to download.

It's a huge amount of data coming through, regardless. I guess somewhere along the way Mindark got confused about the definition of the word "dynamic" and thinks it means "to ruin one's entertainment"

yeah are those speeds accurate, because I was getting speeds of like 17- 20 MB/s and the download took a little under 5min. I have never managed to download anywhere near those speeds before.

I think those are 'internal' speeds ie: its not actually downloading its transferring files on your PC.

Why it has to do so much every time is still a mystery to me though.

I think those are 'internal' speeds ie: its not actually downloading its transferring files on your PC.

Why it has to do so much every time is still a mystery to me though.

I did a fresh install and the download of ~5Gb was over in less than 15 minutes

So it can be fast (almost as fast as transfering the files, I did that too a couple of days).

So far i can't complain.

4.5 hours later todays dynamic download finished with just one failure at 20-25kbs

It took a loooong time for me also. Well.. 20 minutes on one computer and 5-10 on another. I have no idea what the actual dynamic thingy is though; just that it takes forever and a day.

well cant even get mine to 1% :/

I loathe updates on a shit connection although I used to have no problem leaving my updater running overnight and get back ingame the next day.
but now I can't get ingame at all :yay:

Its not so much the speed that's my problem
constantly updating uses my limited supply of download Gbs:mad:
I'm restricted to 8Gbs a month wireless for $39
So not only does it leave me having to budget my usage but there's a cost factor to add to my woe's
I have to wait another 2 weeks before i can download 11.4:eyecrazy:

The download was slow for me too. to be honest what was in the update?
Its not so much the speed that's my problem
constantly updating uses my limited supply of download Gbs:mad:
I'm restricted to 8Gbs a month wireless for $39
So not only does it leave me having to budget my usage but there's a cost factor to add to my woe's
I have to wait another 2 weeks before i can download 11.4:eyecrazy:
:( sorry that affects you. mindark should consider that.

Dynamic = Avatar based bandwith consumption :/

So it took 4.5 hours to finish the dynamic download while I was at work. I launched the game to the log in screen to make sure it was actually working, but didnt log in since I was at work. Shut it down and came home, launched the client loader again, and now its doing more dynamic downloads :/

I upgraded my internet plan to 5gig per week and used over 2.5gig of that yesterday with all the failed dynamic downloads :/
Wonder if ill surpass my limit tonight and get my internet bottled down for a few weeks myself :/

narfi

Dynamic = Avatar based bandwith consumption :/

So it took 4.5 hours to finish the dynamic download while I was at work. I launched the game to the log in screen to make sure it was actually working, but didnt log in since I was at work. Shut it down and came home, launched the client loader again, and now its doing more dynamic downloads :/

I upgraded my internet plan to 5gig per week and used over 2.5gig of that yesterday with all the failed dynamic downloads :/
Wonder if ill surpass my limit tonight and get my internet bottled down for a few weeks myself :/

narfi
:( old work location i had only could get a satilitte isp, so i feel your pain. when we went over the usage usually calling support they would lift the internet bottling thing they would do. hope you get it sorted

I have recenltly started getting the slow download problem. My speed is supposed be up to 2MB/sec. Now here's an interesting observation: i 've interrupted the downlload and reset my router a couple of times today, and on both occasions, when the download restarted, the cleint loader briefly reported a speed on 1.6 MB/sec (or therabouts) but then instantly revised that to around 90 Kb/sec and stayed there! adding up to a total estimated download time of 5 hours.

Now, I have problems with lag whenever my son downloads music by bittorrent, because my IP put a very low cap on bittorrent downloads, and this seems to affect Entropia too. Does Entropia work by bittorrent, or does it just suffer from the same cap once that's activated? More to the point, are the "dynamic downloads" now coming by bittorrent? That would explain this problem, wouldn't it?

jay :scratch2:

Last edited:
It sux especially you have to download shit that you won't use...

Does nobody have any thoughts re. my post above?
If I'm talking bollox, fine, just please let me know as much, so i can dismiss that idea, and look for a better one.

jay :)

I did a test. Before i started the dynamic content download, I was getting a download speed of 1.7mb/s. After i started the download I was getting .60mb/s. How i am to get this downloaded when I only have access to a high bandwidth connection when at work?

Downloading a whole planet takes time. I hope MA gets this figured out so that customers only have to download stuff for the planet(s) they intend to visit.

There's another option: OTOY

Some

I did a test. Before i started the dynamic content download, I was getting a download speed of 1.7mb/s. After i started the download I was getting .60mb/s. How i am to get this downloaded when I only have access to a high bandwidth connection when at work?

Yes. That's what happened to me, though it never used to happen. So the question is this: why do some of us get our internet speed capped the instant we start downloading dynamic content?

Formerly, this has only happened to me when my son downloads music via bittorent. So a secondary question in my mind, now is this: can it be that dynamic content is deliverered by bittorent? Or is there some other process that my IP (BT by the way) puts a cap on?

jay :)

It's http transfer from Amazon servers, so no Bittorrent as far as I can see.

edit: try reducing your "Download thread count" in the clientloader's Tools tab.
@Jaywalker: maybe you're being penalized for too many connections. It could also be contention or upstream congestion. The BT 21'st century network just isn't up to scratch. Nor is it redundant or resilient. If it's any consolation, my friend on FTTC has bad contention issues also, they drop to around 900kb/s in the evenings. Infinity my a**e

I'm getting it at around 30Mbits/s (48Mb/s uncontended link here) but it's just endlessly looping, driving me mad.

Waste of download if you ask me - I'm debating whether it's worth it tbh.
This sort of hassle I can certainly do without.

Already on my second reinstall today ffs :(

Last edited:
Back