Film making aid needed

Thalion

Prowler
Society
RELICS
Thalion Jas Draug
Hi guys

Wanted to ask you for some advice and help in film making. I want to make the film for "Let it Rock" song and I faced few problems. First of all I am not so good with computers, so don't get angry if I ask stupid questions. Second I am trying to learn on this as well, so don't take it as competition only plz. I bet I don't make anything spectacular, so no need to worry :laugh:

If I make the film I will post it in this thread so you can see the effect of my n00bish tries :)
Using Fraps and Windows Movie Maker as basic tools. As far as I know they should do the trick.

Ok, here it goes:

1. We are allowed to use scenes that MA gave us to show how the film might work. For example the scene with zoom between the planets. I saw few people using it already. How can I get to the film the way I could use it in my programe? I can't seem to find it anywhere to download on my PC. Is there some place I could download it to work on it, or do I need to do something else to work on it?

2. Are we allowed to use older films we can find on EU home site? If yes how can I get to use them as well? No download button, so how can one cut them in to pieces and paste in own film?

3. How to cut scenes from original video of the song? Did you use some programe filming what is on screen while watching on you tube or did something else?

I hope I can do the film the way I want it... Please tell me how to deal with that issues if you know :silly2:

Regards

You can find everything you need here.

ftp://ftp.mindark.com/

Left click on stuff then save to your HDD ;)

Hope this helps and good luck with your moviemaking!

Jamhot

Ty guys :)

Jamhot, just what I needed mate, ty vm :yay:

Is it just me who don't get anything up at that link anymore? :scratch2:

Is it just me who don't get anything up at that link anymore? :scratch2:
Must be , try opening internet tools/ page options and setting opening ftp with IE might work then.

It definately works i checked first.

Jamhot

In movie maker, the timeline view and mark-in and mark-out are your friends.

One more question guys. I have done some shots in EU using Fraps and the files I get are very big like 180mb for a very short scene... I adjusted fraps for max details and wanted to ask if that icreases the size and if so how low detail can I set to make it all work fine.
As I said in OP I am a PC n00b and I have never played with filming so no expierience with that... :ahh:

Thing is, my PC is a strong machine but after puting several scenes the films is "lagged" (don't know how else can I call it, instead of a film it looks like screens showed one by other). I think this is cause of the size of each scene and when I make a final 4 minute film it will be a true horror with both size and "lag".

So what resolution do you use and what fps- 25fps, 30fps, 50 fps or 60 fps? :scratch2:

The files are very big because FRAPS doesn't compress the footage it records very much. There are other methods you can record footage from some engines that take even more space - I've been experimenting a bit lately and had something like 16gb taken up for two minutes of video..

Anyway, experiment a little with Windows Movie Maker. You may find that when you are viewing the "raw" footage you experience lag in the playback (simply because the computer has so much data to deal with for even short pieces of video), however once you compress the video and save it to it's final state (by going to File > Publish Movie) that lag should have disappeared.

Personally I record at Full-Size, 30fps.

do at least 30 fps...

30 fps is like the standard for movie making. Faster is ok for more details, but don't go below 30 if possible. 25 is like movie quality, but 30 is what most movies on computers use and games aim for. Our eyes can only really handle about 30 fps.. more is overkill. Less is a little jaggy

30 fps? ... maybe.

It's a tradeoff, actually.

A PC is really busy when it's running Entropia. Adding video capture on top of that makes it even more busy.

The previous poster is somewhat correct in that 30 fps is ideal (That's what TV and movies shoot at.), but may tax your PC to the point that EU will look choppy, or you'll get dropped frames in the video.

I typically run fraps at 15 FPS, and you could go a bit lower if need be.

Ever watch the Flinstones cartoons? They're 12 fps. :)

The bottom line is that you'll just have to experiment with your setup to see what works best. Try different frame rates, try different graphics options in EU.

Good Luck!

AG

I reccomend:

-Use Sony Vegas instead of Movie Maker
-Don't use a lot of MA videos (look at the current entries, the 80% of videos are all the same)
- Fraps at 30fps is ok ;)

Good luck :D

Our eyes can only really handle about 30 fps.. more is overkill. Less is a little jaggy

This isn't at all true, our eyes does not have any "max fps" at all (not any fixed number at least), and you can see difference on higher fps quite easily.
As you note, the main thing that decides how high fps you need for non-choppy feeling is the amount of movement in the scene.

Personally, I think 30 fps sucks pretty much for high action scenes, and often feel fps is way too low in action movies :)

But its true 30 fps is the standard for movies still, and is indeed very well enough for "normal paced" scenes, without excessive movement.
And it should be the one you aim for when making movies.

Don't use a lot of MA videos (look at the current entries, the 80% of videos are all the same)

I don't want to use their work, that is why I try to fight with my own scenes :) I watched all I managed to find on you tube so far and most of the films have no new shots at all.... that is true, but also a good info for me :laugh:

Thanks for all the replys guys, it was very helpfull :) I will play around with fraps on 30fps and try to see what I get. Will also look for the Sony Vegas programe, I heard about it before and think it may be usefull.

We shall see what comes out of the film and the contest :silly2:

Well European Broadcasting Union recommends 720p/50 for things to use and 1080p50 as a future option. So thats the what I aim at but 720p/30 is still good for most actual clip making and one has to adapt to ones hardware.

Well, yeah, but the European Broadcasting Union, along with the US equivalent- the Advanced Television Systems Committee both assume a constant rate 19 megabit pipe to shove data through for a HD signal. Few of us have that on our internet connections.

The first step of editing would be to determine the media the viewer will be watching the project over, then plan resolution and framerate with those factors as well as what the recording PC can handle.

You should then print to file at the same resolution and framerate as recorded, then you can use something like Virtualdub to do things like centercut, or transcode to the target codec, delivery res, and framerate.

Ty for more info :)
That sure does sound complicated to me, but I will do my best to make the film and I hope it works well. Downloading the trial version of Sony Vegas Video so I will see what can I do in it. May be better than Windows Movie Maker, though the WMM is very very simple to use and I see it as a great adventage.

Ty for more info :)
That sure does sound complicated to me, but I will do my best to make the film and I hope it works well. Downloading the trial version of Sony Vegas Video so I will see what can I do in it. May be better than Windows Movie Maker, though the WMM is very very simple to use and I see it as a great adventage.

Vegas is easy to use. You only need a bit of "geek hand" and you control it ;)

Ok, so the first video is ready and you can get to youtube link by this thread: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...pia-let-rock-other-way-round.html#post1717301

The film is not the final one for the competition, but I had to learn how to use movie making programes and when filming just got few scenes in my head... In the end what I got was a bit sarcastic view of Entropia, yet harmless in general :) Enjoy watching.

ps.
I can't figure out how to make a window with the film in the post yet :scratch2: Anyone could give some advice? As said before, I am RL PC n00b :laugh:

Back