Filmjölk

Julian

Old
Society
freelancer
Does anyone know a place in the USA (california) where I can get some fil? I tried it before at my friends house a few years ago and like it, but I forgot about it until I read about it in a yogurt making book. Unfortuantely, I no longer have a place to get some. So anyone in CA have a little fil I could borrow? Or know of a place that sells it?

Its almost impossible to find filmjölk in America, there is a similar product made by Kefir called cultured milk, i tried it last time i was in America, but like everything in America there is sugar in it. So no, you cant find filmjölk in America.
My boss use to bring filmjölk from Sweden every time he had to go to America, but nowadays with the "no liquid on the plane because it can be a bomb" law its impossible.

Thats a shame, I wonder if "Cultered Milk" is pasturized? it might contain a similar strain that could be used to replicate fil.

Wikipedia says....

"Filmjölk is similar to cultured buttermilk, kefir, or yoghurt in consistency, but fermented by different bacteria and thus has a slightly different taste."

So try buttermilk, maybe?

Depending on where you live of course, I know there is alot of norwegian small shops here and there spread over US. I know there should be one somewhere in NY and I think also one in LA. Maybe you'll find some in "Little Norway" :)

There's also a shop in Disney World at the Epcot Center.
They might have at least Kefir, or "kulturmelk" (culture milk) which should be pretty close to filmjølk as I understand it. The type of Kefir Im thinking about is not sugared. I know, because we used to sugar it ourself when drinking it as a kid ;)

Filmjölk is called "surmjölk" by some in sweden and thats what we call kefir here in norway aswell.

What you also could do is track down resturants with swedish or norwegian cusine and ask them if they have any and if you can buy it. Chances are they are importing scandinavian ingredients.

Here's some: http://friendseat.com/search/Swedish_restaurants_in_
http://friendseat.com/search/Norwegian_restaurants_in_

Oh! One more thing, Kefir is traditionally made out of sheep or goatmilk while in scandinavian countries its made out of cowmilk. So its probably the cowmilk you want.

Last edited:
Thanks smoothie and Skam, I will probably get it from that place if I can't get it localy. I hate that they keep calling it yogurt though, and the instructions dont tell you that you can continue using leftovers to start another batch, but I guess I am going to be stuck ordering from that place.

Back