Help: Foma bad return

Infinity

Alpha
Mr Infinity Infinity
1 of my disciples went to foma, used tt finder and dropped for 2k peds probes, no amp and finder maxed ofc:)
Total return was 1200 ped so 800 ped loss on tt value. Then he asked me, is this normal?

What should i tell him lol?

There are good runs and bad runs. FOMA just amplifies them both...

1) The finder doesn't even have 300m in depth. Plenty sure there'll be a lot of goodies he was missing
2) Bombing a space previously bombed is about as effective as shooting your gun in the air

There are good runs and bad runs. FOMA just amplifies them both...
1) The finder doesn't even have 300m in depth. Plenty sure there'll be a lot of goodies he was missing
2) Bombing a space previously bombed is about as effective as shooting your gun in the air
Both of these are really good explanations :yup: & from me you get this one...

They missed their chance last week! :laugh: (65k ganga) :rolleyes: sorry couldn't resist myself :D.
Respawn rate on FOMA is fast vs on planet so a previously probed area isnt as bad?

Last edited:
I went up ther ewith 1800 peds, cycled for 2 month mostly unamped, came back with 35 )) Now back on Caly managed to pring that up to 200 again... but I had good days on FOMA too, so hard to say if that was normal :))

1 of my disciples went to foma, used tt finder and dropped for 2k peds probes, no amp and finder maxed ofc:)
Total return was 1200 ped so 800 ped loss on tt value. Then he asked me, is this normal?

Yes it is. hehe..(because if were not on that way, neither can exist the ATHs from ziplex1 in there) ;)

Last edited:
well if thats surprising..how did i manage from several old 109 OA to get ONLY one 138 ped global? - were like 8-9 OA`s
So..even so, he was lucky:)

:laugh:

No its:

1) Someone has to fund 60k PED noob ath
2) Someone has to fund 60k PED noob ath

Who do you think will do it :scratch2:

I.

P.S.

You have to leave it while ahead:
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=99215&catid=member&imageuser=7917

P.P.S.

It sold for 160% at the time of that tower spawned... and it was a - TOWER indeed

P.P.P.S.

And it was called CND (Club NeverDie) at the time and not FOMA (Fuck Off MA)

Last edited:

Yes.

Actually, he got pretty good return, compared to how badly MA rapes some of its customers at times. He played the lottery. He lost.

I can relate, as I've been been stuck in 80%+ losses previously, but that's the way this gambling is. Win some, lose a lot.

Tell him two things:

1. Yes.

2. Don't do it if you are even remotely going to whinge afterwards.

Well...
I remember being new to mining and was told most things were too deep for a low skilled player. I learned that rationale was bullshit. I do however believe there to be a larger penalty there for having lower skills. That place was not designed to be "mined" in the working profession sence but more tailored to the high risk gambler type miner. The only save for low skilled miners there is the newb factor (aka newb luck) added to entise low skilled player to soldier on.

Any person mining who has done the slightest research would know this either first hand or by word of mouth. What I see here is the mentors failure to know what mining there is all about. The disciple is very lucky in many ways and needs to do some more extensive research on their own as the guidence he has recieved so far is lacking.

Cykle 2k on foma is lottery. You need to cykle 100k.

You as the mentor should have told him about the dangers of FOMA and suggested not going.

Thats just so wrong... Depth on maxed finders have no influence on tt returns.

Tell them how FOMA works and why it was a mistake to go there as a noob.

1) Finder range is halved. So their finds will be about 1/4th as often. To compensate they are on average about 4x as large.
2) Because of this you are risking more and hoping for luck to bring your return up.
3) Because of that, you need a MUCH larger bank roll, and a lot more drops to even things out.
4) Because its riskier, doing stupid things will hurt you more then mining *correctly*. Knowledge matters, without that knowledge FOMA is shooting yourself in the foot.
5) Even with that knowledge, FOMA is still a gamble, dont go there if you dont want to gamble.
6) On top of all of that, you are paying a 5% tax or whatever on all your claims, a huge mistake for a noob.(it can be worth it with the right knowledge)

Tell them how FOMA works and why it was a mistake to go there as a noob.

1) Finder range is halved. So their finds will be about 1/4th as often. To compensate they are on average about 4x as large.
2) Because of this you are risking more and hoping for luck to bring your return up.
3) Because of that, you need a MUCH larger bank roll, and a lot more drops to even things out.
4) Because its riskier, doing stupid things will hurt you more then mining *correctly*. Knowledge matters, without that knowledge FOMA is shooting yourself in the foot.
5) Even with that knowledge, FOMA is still a gamble, dont go there if you dont want to gamble.
6) On top of all of that, you are paying a 5% tax or whatever on all your claims, a huge mistake for a noob.(it can be worth it with the right knowledge)

This is interesting. I still drop the 100m on FOMA and have the best returns there. ON planets my returns are teh suck to average, on FOMA I get 90+%.

I am a "noob" lvl 3 (just) in mining, I use a ziplex z5? for a bit more depth.

Gambling on Foma in my opinion means mining with equipment above your level. Yes, the dome, ore, en etc is important but you can find that on any number of places, find the best MU for your depth...

I wish I could anywhere near the finds I get on FOMA on planet, maybe it is the illusive newbie bonus, perhaps it is just mining within your band but I hit +- the same on FOMA as planetside, the only difference is on FOMA I get ample as my 90%, planetside.... not so much maybe 20% all unamped.

On foma with an amp ( for me level 2 is max so far) best is 150% tt, on planet with lvl 2 amp best is 90% tt....

Not to mention planet has my all time worst streak of 55% tt after my two globals on FOMA so I guess its not so cut and dry as is thought?

BTW I am looking for anyone interested in giving me information on what I am doing right or wrong.

Disclaimer... All the above are purely my opinions on dropping probes to get to level 3 mining, I no way claim to know the inner workings of anything, these are just my observations.

Edit : Not a ming topic, but thought I would mention the difference between my first post when I was a noob hunting snables and I went back to visit them two days ago. More ammo then I cycled in a month in a day and not even two pieces of pixies armor. When i just started I think in $3 ammo I had a full set sans footwear???

Thanks

Nano

Last edited:
tell him, that not every one gets ATH with tt finder on their first go :tongue2:

wate a sec. o0 he was using a tt finder on foma and still got 1200 ped back XD out of 2k o0 the depth on that is 300m u r supposed to have AT LEAST 1k depth

In my own opinion, mining depths on Foma have changed compared to let's say few months ago, and much more prepared for noobs than before. A new soc mate (starting mining) is using there Z5 unamped and did several hofs whithout dropping hundreds of probes..
I did several runs in all the domes with different finders and never got nice finds with 105 upto VRX2K (the more desappointing), but had a XVI claim with tt finder...

In fact , it's just confirming that it's better to mine being a noob these days..

For info, i mine both ores/enmatts , with lvl 54 prosp and 53 surv, unamped.

In my own opinion, mining depths on Foma have changed compared to let's say few months ago, and much more prepared for noobs than before. A new soc mate (starting mining) is using there Z5 unamped and did several hofs whithout dropping hundreds of probes..
I did several runs in all the domes with different finders and never got nice finds with 105 upto VRX2K (the more desappointing), but had a XVI claim with tt finder

In fact , it's just confirming that it's better to mine being a noob these days..

For info, i mine both ores/enmatts , with lvl 54 prosp and 53 surv, unamped.

Interesting. I rarely go to FOMA, but the times I have, my returns have been best w/the Z5 or Z15, whereas my results w/the eMine FS, F105, and TK120 have been pretty poor. Even excluding a 3xxx PED claim w/the Z15, returns of about 80% TT vs returns between 40% - 60% w/other finders.

But...I didn't really have enough data to get a good picture, so I assume it's random

If one finder isn't working for you, try another. 320 popping NRF's all day? Try a Z20. F-106 getting ya down? Try a dandy F-102!
IMO - depth on FOMA doesn't matter as much as I get the feeling a lot of y'all think it does. When my standard finder isn't popping swirlies (I run FOMA with minimum lvl5 but usually lvl7-8 amp) I switch to TT or (L) - I normally buy a low TT (L) finder on Caly to take with me for exactly this reason.

I should mention I started doing this while reading through mining blogs; something I did a lot of at work. Someone whose blog I was reading, mentioned they practiced this principle for multi-bombing claims. Since adapting this idea my "swings" on FOMA have been less harsh.

note: I'm not saying I profit more, just saying my losses are less dramatic.

I would say 60% on a sample like that is pretty normal on foma.

but you could see 1000000000000000000% back at some point never know.

Back