GFX help needed with drivers????

Seven, my settings are all down as low as they can go....

Mega, the new, new one is a 550w EZcool

could it be overheating on the motherboard or cpu??
will get trusty fan out and direct it that way and see what happens...

Stinky:yay:

Seven, my settings are all down as low as they can go....

Mega, the new, new one is a 550w EZcool

could it be overheating on the motherboard or cpu??
will get trusty fan out and direct it that way and see what happens...

Not heard of Ezcool, but I looked it up and it can be bought for £25 online. That's half the price of a more well known brand PSU (for example Antec, Corsair, Coolermaster, Enermax) , so it may be that you are getting what you paid for I'm afraid. :(

In case it isn't the voltages, one way to check temperatures be to run this program, Speedfan:

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

My gut instinct does tell me it's the PSU though, both from you having one go *bang* and my own experience with a similarly priced one.

My gut instinct does tell me it's the PSU though, both from you having one go *bang* and my own experience with a similarly priced one.

I have to agree with this. Power supply specs can vary a hell of alot and it's sounding like yours is perhaps not supplying enough where it is needed.

OK, running speed fan,

when idling the temp1 has a flame icon:ahh: at 53' and the temp2 is in the red at 49'

when i start the client loader, cpu is running at 100% and all the sensors go into the flame logo and show upwards of 59'

could this be something to look further into??

Last edited:
Silly me.....

and then...

So from my N00b experience, there is a problem here???

Temperature looks ok, Voltages seem ok.

Want to test your memory out?

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

p95c2414.exe

Install, run

then its Options / Torture Test (Blend)

Lets see if it fails. Should let it run for at least an hour, if there's a problem it'll fail inside 10mins usually.

EDIT: Just remembered, keep an eye on the voltages when doing the above test. The figures in your previous screenshot would have been when your PC was idle?

EDIT 2: Are those temperatures with a Desk fan blowing air in ?

Last edited:
You could try an older driver, I had similar problems last July after an update. I rolled back and all was fine.

Also, have you checked your BIOS, maybe the settings are different from your old card?

dunno anymore, I give up..

:scratch2:

If your motherboard is older than the graphics card (older as in the times they were released, not when you bought them) make sure you have the latest BIOS update installed. If something you read is saying about a driver conflict between your Realtek stuff and Nvidia drivers also make sure your sound-card has the latest updates too.

If it's an onboard soundcard it's driver updates should be in the same place as the BIOS updates.

Some motherboards require an update to work properly with graphics cards released after it was designed. I just recently bought a 4870X2 Radeon and while my motherboard supported it right away apparently a lot of even slightly older ones needed an update.

Maybe also take a look at you CPU fan, if there is too much dust it can draw quite some power. But the temperature itself does not look that bad.

OK, feels like an hour has gone by..... (1hr 36, 0 errors)

here are screeenies while it was working, and still is.... so i guess the ram is ok? phew, its new...

the temp has obviously increased, the gfx occasionaly went into the red and cooled again, i guess as its fan sped up?....

these temps are NOT with an outside fan, but are with the side of the case off.... no holes in case side, so that must affect the readings a bit. I dont have any case extractor fans, just the one on the gfx and one on the cpu.

Woenk - CPU heatsink/fan is dust free, was already, (pretty much or so i thought) but a can of air blasted half a buckets worth out from somewhere:D

Miller -i have a vague, very vague idea of what you are talking about, but no idea how to go about it. Please can you spell it out in n00b talk, thanks;)

Misty - you also talk of bios, ha ha, want me to burn my fingers and wipe the hard drive:ahh: yes, i am that n000bie with pc's, i just use them and need them to work

Once again, everybody on this forum that is coming up with ideas is A1 in my book. Thanks :grouphug:, i realise hugs don't do much, so maybe we should all meet up for a diet coca cola;)

Last edited:
The BIOS (Basic Input Output System) is like a microscopic little version of Windows that controls some of the most key features of your computer. When you turn your computer on it's your BIOS (amongst other things, including small giraffes) that makes sure all your hardware is where it should be so the computer can start up okay.

If the graphics card needs "Language 2.2" to work properly but when your motherboard was released there was only "Language 2.1" then without a software update the card won't work properly as the motherboard is just saying all the wrong things.

So... If you can find out the make and model of your motherboard (and the BIOS version if it's listed) I'll have a look for you to see if there's a more recent update.

If you've tried different drivers and different tests it probably suggests the problem lies on a "lower level" so it's possible it could well be your motherboard and/or BIOS causing a compatibility issue.

Tried to explain that as layman-ly as possible, hope it made sense mate :D

Stinky,

All of these are great ideas and things you need to watch. If you would like I have a spare Corsair 520watt PSU here along with an ATI 9800gt video card. I can send them to you for the price of post + $30. (EU joke w/ the pricing...but seriously)

Anytime your system is biult up and ready to run you should always check out the basics like power requirements. Potential for much greater problems tends to arise after such upgrades. Has your sound come back on? As you sit and watch your voltages do they fluctuate much? The possibility here is that the lesser quality power supply could have caused issues with your motherboard and a number of other areas. Troubleshooting it down and narrowing it down. the first thing I would ensure is the BIOS has been properly updated, but be VERY careful in doing so. If this is a dell or HP or along those lines you may not likely find proper BIOS updates for it.

Alaxan

The BIOS (Basic Input Output System) is like a microscopic little version of Windows that controls some of the most key features of your computer. When you turn your computer on it's your BIOS (amongst other things, including small giraffes) that makes sure all your hardware is where it should be so the computer can start up okay.

If the graphics card needs "Language 2.2" to work properly but when your motherboard was released there was only "Language 2.1" then without a software update the card won't work properly as the motherboard is just saying all the wrong things.

So... If you can find out the make and model of your motherboard (and the BIOS version if it's listed) I'll have a look for you to see if there's a more recent update.

If you've tried different drivers and different tests it probably suggests the problem lies on a "lower level" so it's possible it could well be your motherboard and/or BIOS causing a compatibility issue.

Tried to explain that as layman-ly as possible, hope it made sense mate :D

got it thanks, the giraffe is called Donald and he says he used to have an account on EF.....

how would i find out the tech details of my motherboard etc??

Problem could be almost anything, motherboard though seems to be the most plausible.
What model is that ?
Could quite well be that is is only a PCIe 4x and does not feed the card enough voltage.
Doesn't the 9800GS have also an additional powerconnector onboard ?

its a packard bell, the motherboard is.... squarish in shape:ahh:

the gfx is agp slot, 7900gs. has seperate power connector, connected ;)

I ran EU and alt=tabbed evey 2 minutes till freeze, here are the temps...

So.... nothing conclusive there???

I have to sleep now, will be refreshed fairly late on tommorow, long day.

Cheers all

I might take some heat from the pros around here but personally if i had problems after installing a new gfx card, especially when switching from ati to nvidia or vice versa, the first thing i would do is a fresh install of windows with all the newest drivers for everything. I know it's a pain in the ... but as far as i've heard and experienced it's the only thing to make sure you get the least problems and the best performance out of your new card.
After that just let it run for a few hours with 3dmark or something to see if it works and if you still have problems you can try to narrow it down to certain games or apps.

You should be able to check what date your BIOS is from and what motherboard you have by clicking Start, then clicking Run and typing in "dxdiag" (press enter when you've typed that).

You should see something like:

System Model: P5Q-E
BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/20/08 12:13:18 Ver: 08.00.14

Quick last reply before bed.....

as i went through the other pages, i was able to hear the sounds interestingly enough...

oh and most important, the spining box on the direct 3d was not a spinning box, but a very rapid blurred swirl, too fast to make out a shape...... maybe a clue??

Is your sound card working?

Is the problem only occuring when you are in game? or even with system at idle?

Pics, etc... are nice, but everything seems to be normal.

Where is this "noise" coming from? and what exactly is the noise?

I have the exact same video card and I had the same problem actually. The extra power connector that goes to the video card was my trouble I had to turn off the pc and wiggle it on there a little to the left and its been working great for a year now hehe

I am running mine with the newest drivers and its fine so that should be ok.

A full install of the system should not be needed, the driver cleaner should do the job well enough as long as it is done according to instructions.
Google told me that the card needs 70Watt, which could be one part of the problem.
How old is the computer ?
Could be that it does not fully support 8x AGP (1,5V).
How much do have have plugged in ?
Is the power for the card plugged to something else like a HDD ?

these temps are NOT with an outside fan, but are with the side of the case off.... no holes in case side, so that must affect the readings a bit. I dont have any case extractor fans, just the one on the gfx and one on the cpu.....

Good news about the RAM, you dont have any memory problems.

Wait a second..... you dont have a fan blowing air into the pc and one blowing air out?

Overheating is a definate issue there then.

Even my 5 year old pc had 2x 80mm fans sucking air in at the front and 2 at the back blowing it out - can you confirm thats what you mean ?

I think there may be an easier solution yet than flashing the Bios or adjusting soundcard or a reinstall of Windows.... :)

Chuck it away, the whole lot, and buy a new machine.

What you have at the moment is ok for internet and spreadsheets etc. but it's not exactly cutting edge is it?

You've already spent at least £75 on it just trying to get this sorted, and that card won't even run EU in all it's glory now so who knows what it'll be like in CryTropia.

Bite the bullet mate and buy something with a little more 'ooomph', I went from a similar set-up and spent a few hundred quid and bought a Phenom 9550 and an 8800GTX (9800GT's can now be had for around only £100-£110) and the change is dramatic. It feels like going from dial-up to broadband, to put it into context.

There's some good deals out there at the moment, and in the current economic climate I can see some bargains to be had soon, especially as retailers are gearing up for Christmas.

:)

Chuck it away, the whole lot, and buy a new machine.

What you have at the moment is ok for internet and spreadsheets etc. but it's not exactly cutting edge is it?

You've already spent at least £75 on it just trying to get this sorted, and that card won't even run EU in all it's glory now so who knows what it'll be like in CryTropia.

Bite the bullet mate and buy something with a little more 'ooomph', I went from a similar set-up and spent a few hundred quid and bought a Phenom 9550 and an 8800GTX (9800GT's can now be had for around only £100-£110) and the change is dramatic. It feels like going from dial-up to broadband, to put it into context.

There's some good deals out there at the moment, and in the current economic climate I can see some bargains to be had soon, especially as retailers are gearing up for Christmas.

:)

He just needs a new case and GOOD PSU and all this will go away. Certainly easier than getting a whole new PC and having to re-set up internet, email and transfer all his data across.

My old PC was similar to his - an Athlon 3200+ and it played Entropia just as well as my new one, I just wanted a PCI-E graphcis card.

Hi Stinky,

Bit late joining this thread but my two pecs worth.....

Power - as much as i can tell your system doesnt really need all that much power, so even a cheap PSU should be up to the job as long as it delivers a decent ammount on amps on the 12v rails. On the side of the PSU should be a sticker showing these details, can u post a pic of this?

Heat - If there really is a lack of airflow in the system this could be a problem as GPU's & CPU's tend to get unstable when overheating. Having said this aiming a desk fan at the system with the case open should have proved / disproved this. Personly i dont place to much faith in the onboard sensors and would use these as a guide only.

BIOS - Would be worth an update but not even the "newest" version could be very old. Had issues with CPU's and out of date BIOS but touch wood never with a video card.

Drivers - Again as others have said uninstalling the ATI drivers 1st would have been ideal, try booting in safe mode, check "device manager" to see if the old card is still listed and remove it if its present. Sometimes the latest drivers dont always work so great with older cards, google about to see if a particular version has been found to be a better match with that card.

DirectX - Have you installed the newest version from Microsofts site? Although DxDiag lists version 9c its often worth doing as sometime bits get replaced with older versions. If possible open the "DirectX Files" tab and make sure the vast majority of them listed are recent, if they are showing as 2007 etc. or very early this year then they are out if date.

Sometimes different bits of hardware just wont play nicely together but 9/10 times is something simple and conected to the list above. Worse case, back everything up, reinstall XP + service packs, find latest or most stable drivers for hardware and go from there - tend to do this once a year regardless as its the best way to clear all the clutter out anyway lol

Cheers
TJ

on a sidenote I am quite surprised that a Bios update is recommended that often.
Those updates are really risky and a lot can go wrong.
Even after almost 20 years eperience in flashing I still get the willies everytime (and bricked several boards in the meantime) :D

on a sidenote I am quite surprised that a Bios update is recommended that often.
Even after almost 20 years eperience in flashing I still get the willies everytime (and bricked several boards in the meantime) :D

Tis all in the preparation... Read the update instructions, have a boot disc handy, make a back up of the original bios and generally all is good - never messed one up yet. Oh and last but not least make sure its the right BIOS file in the 1st place :laugh:

Cheers
TJ

P.S

Re the flashing & willies, what ever you get up to in your own time is your call but EF is a family friendly forum........... ;-)

Last edited:

I agree, certainly not something I'd advise to a novice (I'm assuming Stinky is as he is getting his local PC shop to fit his PSU - no offence to you there Stinky :) )

TJ here is (I believe) Stinkys PSU details:

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications...?EdpNo=253465&sourceid=2459&CAWELAID=84122217

Im not sure 24 amps on the 12v line is sufficient.

Back