How do gun towers know

Status
The gun towers need an av in the vicinity to observe. When in the Arkadia Underground and I arrive in a vehicle I see Oratans wandering around within range of gun turrets.
Only then will the turrets shoot the mobs, just before I get there

Sometimes they don't. Bring a shared mob back to base one day. Preferably a high level boss/event one. :D
You mean they sometimes shoot the AV by mistake!?:eek: I've not seen that before! But then again I've only hunted solo so far so have not seen too much what happens to other players. Anyway, the reason for posing the question is that the other day I ran out of ammo in the middle of a lot of low-level mobs and so ran like the clappers towards the nearest gun tower and just made it in time before it got them all, and so it just amazed me that the tower was able to distinguish me from the resulting pile of mobs.

You mean they sometimes shoot the AV by mistake!?:eek: I've not seen that before! But then again I've only hunted solo so far so have not seen too much what happens to other players. Anyway, the reason for posing the question is that the other day I ran out of ammo in the middle of a lot of low-level mobs and so ran like the clappers towards the nearest gun tower and just made it in time before it got them all, and so it just amazed me that the tower was able to distinguish me from the resulting pile of mobs.
The tower is coded to only shoot mobs. I don't know much about programming but im sure its easy for them to work out.
What I dont get is why the devs cant put their expert "towers that only shoot mobs" coding skills towards other aspects of the game. For example, every flying mob on calypso that gets stuck in the ground.

What I meant in my previous post, is the towers do not shoot shared mobs. so they can wreak havoc if they end up at base.

The gun towers need an av in the vicinity to observe. When in the Arkadia Underground and I arrive in a vehicle I see Oratans wandering around within range of gun turrets.
Only then will the turrets shoot the mobs, just before I get there
Yer, only I've seen gun towers shoot mobs straying towards them even if there weren't AVs near them, including myself.

The tower is coded to only shoot mobs. I don't know much about programming but im sure its easy for them to work out.
What I dont get is why the devs cant put their expert "towers that only shoot mobs" coding skills towards other aspects of the game. For example, every flying mob on calypso that gets stuck in the ground.

What I meant in my previous post, is the towers do not shoot shared mobs. so they can wreak havoc if they end up at base.
Right, so just shared mobs get hit... I've discovered the flying mob issue you mention myself quite a few times, such as Hyriuu that skim the ground not far from MegaVolt and then nose-dive into it right in front of you when you've got them. Maybe some of the creatures are bought off-the shelf already animated...:dunno:

Yer, only I've seen gun towers shoot mobs straying towards them even if there weren't AVs near them, including myself.
I did not describe the situation as well as I could have. The example I based my statement on is in Ark Underground.
Travelling from The Abyss TT to the adjacent place where the Oratans hang out it is customary to use a vehicle (as would take to long otherwise).
You travel down a windey canyon which turns just before you arrive.
You see the Gun Turret, and usually near to it are Oratans wandering about. Just before you get in range the turret starts firing and kills them.
for the turret to do this it requires an observer. You said it yourself, the turret killed mobs when you observed them.

I did not describe the situation as well as I could have. The example I based my statement on is in Ark Underground.
Travelling from The Abyss TT to the adjacent place where the Oratans hang out it is customary to use a vehicle (as would take to long otherwise).
You see the Gun Turret, and usually near to it are Oratans wandering about. Just before you get in range the turret starts firing and kills them.
for the turret to do this it requires an observer. You said it yourself, the turret killed mobs when you observed them.
Schrodinger's turret?

This is the same effect as e.g. when hunting things like Chirpy and they survive your first shot and start running, you don't even try to chase it, instead wait until it's out of sight where it will immediately stop, then you can just go and pick it up from there. To clarify how this works for anyone wondering: If a tree falls in the forest and there is nobody around to hear it, does it make a sound? In the real world, this is a question to tickle philosophy students. In a simulation, it is pretty cut and dried: Most certainly not, at least not when there are reasons to economize.

The simulation is not running in the background for all in-game objects at all times, that would be way too much for the servers to handle. Or if it was really done, a useless expense for all the excess power nobody gets to see. Instead, simulation is only driven by clients within the radius of perception. The mobs with their positions exist somewhere in the database in the state they were left by a previous observer. Only when the next client perceives them, everything is set in motion again. Further clients arriving are synchronized so everybody gets to see the same scene and can interact with it. How this synchronization works is a piece of real programming art and the essential part of any multiplayer VR.

At first I thought this was some sort of a troll-question. Then I read on and guessing from the various answers I'd say that the non-developers gathered here... Every coder knows that distinguishing things is a very easy task to do.

What I'm saying: all non-coders please calm down. Nearly every coding language has an if()-statement. I cannot give you an example as there are soooo many ways to code this (flag, enum, inheritance, ...) and it so depends on how information is available internally. Obviously each mob has some form of a state that identifies whether or not it can be killed by a turret.

E.g., watch out for bots during the bot-event in Atlas Haven standing near the teleporter :rolleyes:

Doesn't it amaze you that an auctioneer doesn't sell blueprints?!

You have funny ideas about how a computer game gets coded 😂
I have no idea really how they're coded, I've never coded a game in my life. That's why I asked how do gun towers 'know' the difference. I've only done some 3ds modelling and animation work, but I'm no programmer.

Towers are not programmed.
They are actually controlled by MA staff who target the mobs manually.
MA can't program stuff!!

😜
For the large gun towers perhaps, but what about those smaller one's you get at outposts? Does a member of MA staff sit in a box buried under the ground beneath the tower and look through a periscope?

Something along the lines of IF AVATAR DONT SHOOT ELSE SHOOT TO KILL. My programming is basic :p I like the thread :D

Yes that's right, they did get the mobs when I observed them and both they and myself were near a tower, but what about those instances where you're nowhere near mobs and so not in danger yourself?

At first I thought this was some sort of a troll-question. Then I read on and guessing from the various answers I'd say that the non-developers gathered here... Every coder knows that distinguishing things is a very easy task to do.

What I'm saying: all non-coders please calm down. Nearly every coding language has an if()-statement. I cannot give you an example as there are soooo many ways to code this (flag, enum, inheritance, ...) and it so depends on how information is available internally. Obviously each mob has some form of a state that identifies whether or not it can be killed by a turret.

E.g., watch out for bots during the bot-event in Atlas Haven standing near the teleporter :rolleyes:

Doesn't it amaze you that an auctioneer doesn't sell blueprints?!
Right, so all mobs and AVs have some sort of unique ID that enables gun towers to know which is which. Makes sense to me.

Something along the lines of IF AVATAR DONT SHOOT ELSE SHOOT TO KILL. My programming is basic :p I like the thread :D
This makes sense as well, and there must also be some sort of triangulation/xyz calc involved, but however it's done exactly, I take my hat off to MA devs and programmers.

This makes sense as well, and there must also be some sort of triangulation/xyz calc involved, but however it's done exactly, I take my hat off to MA devs and programmers.
I don't think that the turret is actually shooting the mob. Its an illusion.
There would be two rules written here,
1. IF mob occupies X,y,z coordinate then health = zero
2. If above event is triggered then Run turret animation.

I don't think that the turret is actually shooting the mob. Its an illusion.
There would be two rules written here,
1. IF mob occupies X,y,z coordinate then health = zero
2. If above event is triggered then Run turret animation.
Yes that makes sense, and the very brief instance of lasers/s hitting the mob/s is part of the animation, or part of the illusion.

Yes that makes sense, and the very brief instance of lasers/s hitting the mob/s is part of the animation, or part of the illusion.
I dunno. I don’t think about it, I just accept that it works and suspend my disbelief.
There is a lot of other mechanics that tie into loot theory that you could be racking your brain on. This is a bit of a weird thing to single out honestly.

Turrets are interesting though.. If you half killed a mob like you said and turreted it, you would notice that you got some shrapnel.
It has been observed that Turrets pay you back 75% of your input costs, be that weapon, fap or armor decay. BUT. not on every decaying action. some items are bugged, and some just aren't factored in as part of the loot calculation. Players use turret testing to check items so see if they contribute to loot or not.
Example. One certain FAP from cyrene is bugged, and does not return its decay in loot, this can be confirmed by the turret testing experiment.

One recent thing that I learned with turret testing, is Synchronisation chips also return their decay/ammo cost in loot. The general consensus up until now is that it didn't, or that people just didn't think about it. But this now makes using a sync chip while swunting cost beneficial, where it was previously thought to be a waste of time.

Last edited:
Huh???
The auctioneer sells tons of blueprints!!
That's what I thought. This confused me a bit because I knew TTs didn't vend them.

The auctioneer doesn't sell anything. Players sell shit.

Technician sells blueprints.

Status
Back