Hunting Etiquette

Robbi

Hatchling
Hi,

Hi, I'm relatively new (2 months) to EU and I have a question regarding hunting etiquette. When you have found a group of whatever it is you are looking to hunt, is it acceptable for others to run up to you and start hunting them? I myself feel it's rather rude and I keep my distance if I come across others who are already sweating or hunting some mobs at a location. But it happens enough that I'm starting to wonder if that is just how it is in EU? Are there rules of courtesy regarding this?

If theres few mobs around keep far away from others that might not want to be disturbed or have their mobs run away to the other team :p

if I tp to some place to hunt, someone else is there I either run far away so that they aint on my map, atleast if theres some mobs to share, if not I just find another space :p

if someone is running towards a mob its rude to drag out a rifle to get the mob to attack you instead of them too :p have had that happen some times.

I guess its just easyfying it to see whom you can most likley see as kind people, and who to stay far away from :p

only do to others what you want in return. Beeing rude or beeing a Douchbag is just bad in all its meaning tbh :p

is it acceptable for others to run up to you and start hunting them?

NO! These are idiots that have no respect or kids just learning about life. It's not so bad as long as they don't start shooting at the same animal you are. If you have the HP down already and someone else starts shooting and then gets the loot, that called KS (kill steal).

Are there rules of courtesy regarding this?

No, but when you skill up more it'll be pay back time! ;) Just remember who you owe!!

I agree that it's rude for others to run up on you and start killing mobs close to you.

What I find to be even worse is miners who'll run a mob train right into you.

Occasionally, miners will even run right up on you and drop a bomb in your face, even without a train of mobs following them I find this to be quite disrespectful.

Last edited:
Hi,

Hi, I'm relatively new (2 months) to EU and I have a question regarding hunting etiquette. When you have found a group of whatever it is you are looking to hunt, is it acceptable for others to run up to you and start hunting them? I myself feel it's rather rude and I keep my distance if I come across others who are already sweating or hunting some mobs at a location. But it happens enough that I'm starting to wonder if that is just how it is in EU? Are there rules of courtesy regarding this?

There are many unwriten rules to hunting all of which come down to common sense, there are the minority that have no regard for others and the surroundings with a distinct LACK of commen sense.. be safe in the knowledge that soon you'll be able to outdamage the killstealers (very good for avoiding frustration) ;) , but some situations are beyond control :p

Welcome to EU and EF, Robbi !! :yay:

I don't think it's rude, since red dots don't belong to anyone in particular. :wise:

Ks'ing is one thing - but an untagged mob is free game, imho.

If it bugs you to see other people killing the mobs near you - listen to the words of Mika - run away from greendots anytime you're hunting.

But, if there's a dense spawn near you and the spawn in the area is thin - you can almost always expect greendots to stop along and help you kill off the spawn.

I've made many friends this way - so don't immediately assume they're there to ruin your hunting party. Many times when you 'happen upon' a huge pile of mobs, someone else has taken the time to gather those mobs, there. So you might see them come back to help you finish off the pile 'you discovered.'

I'm a hunter you don't want to be near, because I, like you - don't generally like to share my mobs. So, if I'm in 'hunt, hunt, hunt' mode -I will tag all 25 around me and run off so you can't have them :laugh:

Strike up conversations with your fellow colonists, though - don't always assume that they are there to ruin your fun. Every greendot that's not on your FL is a potential new friend !! :yay:

Now, MA about our tiny FL... :poke:

I don't think it's rude, since red dots don't belong to anyone in particular. :wise:

Ks'ing is one thing - but an untagged mob is free game, imho.

I think this is the main point. Kill stealing someone else's mob is out of order, but no one owns the mob until someone tags it.

Now, MA about our tiny FL... :poke:

Oh yes Pretty please :D

lol, funny one but easy
don't do to others what you don't want others to do to you...
yes, i hate it when ppl seem to folow me.. then again, eu isn't that huge e when i got a feeling for good loot, I'll help you cleanup also

my rules where always, when the mob is full hp, feel free to kill it.
first one to tag gets the kill, unless you tag all of them oc;)

about the ks'ing, it will NEVER stop, there are always ubers who'll get tempted (you know who you are) or nub teams...
most fun about it is that when you pick you're moment good & got some knowledge, revenge can be so sweet, just watch me:yay:

happy hunting

Danielle said it spot on. I try to keep my distance from most other hunters becasue I dont want to mess up their groove. However , if the mobs are pretty sparce , and you've got a few around you , expect that I may be borrowing a few. But , even in that situation courtesy and ettiquette can be king. Say that I aggro'd a mob onto you , and you are already consumed with what you have on your plate ; I will make every effort to keep / get that mob off of you , without interrupting your hunt. The last thing anyone want to do is pump 3 - 5 ped of ammo into a mob , and be right next to killing it , only to take a trip to the revive. Especially , if it has a really high regen rate like Atrox. Without question , the GOLDEN RULE applies in this game. Treat other the way that you like to be treated. If you even think you offended someone , be quick to apologize. If someone offends you , do not be spiteful when you address it. Be direct, courteous , and offer a solution to help the person not make the same mistake again. If they dont accept it , and they are rude to you , it's their loss , they wont be here very long.

Anyway , happy hunting , and I hope to see you on the fields

Tarpon

It does depend somewhat on the area, and how many avas are around. If you go just north of Twin Mall, for example, there will often be many ppl shooting argos, and competition for them can get kinda fierce. That doesn't excuse kill-stealing, but it's pretty much whoever shoots it first takes it.

On the other hand, ppl that swim over to Bibo island and start one-shot-killing wet bibos that others are sweating are being plain rude. Or at the lakes south of Sakura: big spawn that takes some time swimming to get through. There's just no reason to encroach on others. If someone swims too close, agros a bunch of rippers on me, or shoots all "my" fish, well, they get a reminder that it's pvp there.

Mostly let the golden rule direct you, and don't let rude ppl get you down too much.

in dense spawn areas and popular places people hunt close together and you have to resist the territorial urges that tell you it's your space. IMO when it's crowded all 100 pecent mobs are fair game, but I hunt them closest mob first.
Everywhere else people mostly act in a very respectful way I have always found. The rude ones usually move on quickly, or you can shift location a little

An alternative to Mom's excellent advice, if you are less social, is to do some exploring. I like to hunt alone as much as possible, so I tend to hunt in out-of-the-way places. Calypso is big and there are many areas to hunt at all levels where you will rarely be disturbed.

If you choose do hunt in one of the more popular spots - and I do that sometimes, too - just try to be respectful of others. Either make a little room or work together. Assume innocence and good will in your fellow Calypsans* (until proven otherwise), you will be right more often than not.

* This does not apply when the trade window is open, but that is another thread.

:beerchug:

Miles

I usually try to stay clear of groups other people are obviously hunting or sweating.

When your sweating theres nothing worse than someone running up and killing everything in sight, I've seen it happen lots of times at the combibo area near PA mall. So don't I'd suggest not doing this, you never know who the guy in the orange suit is.

If the area is sparse then I usually go with who's closest or if I'm running through then I leave it if someone else is there first.

If a mob breaks off while attacking me and chases after someone else I keep shooting IF i've already put shots into it, if not then I hope its not an ATH. Same goes if it's the other way around, if something breaks off and chases me at full health then I usually shoot it unless the other person is obviously chasing it.

The only other thing I might do is if I see someone is on low HP with a tough mob and near to killing it then I fap them until they've killed it (if I'm close enough) depending on how charitable I feel at the time. If they die then I don't finish the mob, even if it starts attacking me unless it regens completely as by then I've assumed its been abandoned.

One final thing, if I find a mob with low hp then I leave it and try to avoid agro'ing it.

Another variation on this is ppl assuming that just because I have 3 or 4 mobs on me and I am fapping it does not mean I am trouble and therefore need you to kill the mobs on me... :rolleyes:

Happened just yesterday at Fort Fury, quite a high ranking player from Titans of War runs up and starts shooting the Feffs I had on me, does not bother to ask if I need help or see that my health bar is in good shape after each FAP...

I was skilling FAP, I politely said in white chat that I was not in need of help, I was skilling, please can you move on and not shoot the mobs on me... I did not get a responce... 10 Minutes later the same avatar runs past me again and does the exact same thing... Bloody annoying :mad:

Cheers, Nobleone :beerchug:

There is no official rules for hunting and rights to areas. Common courtesy SHOULD be the rule but unfortunately it usualy is not.

If you come across an area you desire to hunt then do so. Just respect at least the boundries of your weapon. I would not shoot into mobs surrounding people nor run up on them and hang next to someone hunting. I expect the same treatment.

If I feel someone is overly encroaching what I find as fair terrtiory I ask them to move a bit. If they get mouthy or decide to be a pest in general then I oblige them by giving them all the mobs I can gather and bring to them since they feel that all mobs are theirs they mays well have them all at once! After once or twice doing this people get the hint and tend not to bother you. If you stand there arguing with them then they tend to intentionally bug you.

Back