I'll just leave this here

THANK-YOU!
Hopefully some people will learn and it won't feel like nails-on-chalkboard every time I see the misuse!!!

yey another thread about something no one really cares about.. atleast theres no complaining about mindark... yet

and, ur is an ancient city in mesopotamia.

also, u is a letter, not a pronoun.

Should be of use to 99% of the posters here.

http://www.youryoure.com/

Not really. Set up a poll with five incorrect usages and five correct usages and see how many people get all of them right. The majority I would imagine.

Understanding is one thing, using correctly is another - it's just a very easy mistake to make; by the time you're typing the words your brain is already concentrating on the next words. I tend to spot my mistakes if I'm careful enough to read through my post after I've typed it, but I can't always be bothered with that. This is PCF, not the front page of the Guardian. Imo, get your meaning across = win.

I'll just leave this here
Should be of use to 99% of the posters here.

http://www.youryoure.com/

Im surpriced you didnt manage to get any anti-MA stuff into the post... this forum is getting way to relaxed.

Oh no whats that its the f***** grammer police :bowdown:

You care so much to post a thread... You might as well go be a teacher... :mad:

This is PCF, not the front page of the Guardian.

Indeed.

Intellectual snobbery is never pretty. Besides, how many PCF users are not native speakers?

Think before you assume airs and graces.

Indeed.

Intellectual snobbery is never pretty. Besides, how many PCF users are not native speakers?

Think before you assume airs and graces.

I for one AM a native speaker. Now if ya'll will be so kind as to pass me my spear and loincloth, I'll get out of yer hair.... :lolup:

Blackjack :cowboy:

You're link was very usefull, your absolutely right :silly2:

Your and you're are different things. Using them incorrectly irks a lot of people. Native speaker or not, expect some people to notice. I also am pretty sure that if I was on a German or swedish site posting lazy grammar i'd get called on it...

JimmyB's right, it's just an internet forum. And it's probably true that if tested on proper usage, most people will get the correct answers.
However, anyone who wants to be taken seriously (regardless of the language) should make an effort to get it right, shouldn't they? Consciously or not, you will be judged by how you write, just as much as you are judged by your looks by everyone around you on a daily basis.... (and don't get me started on judging by smell!! :laugh: )
Your ideas will only get through pathetic grammar if they really shine... most will equate the inability to formulate a proper sentence with the inability to form a coherent idea.

Case in point: How often did Ben Cobra Boner have to defend his writing skills and explain his disability?

Thanks for "you're" post!

However, anyone who wants to be taken seriously (regardless of the language) should make an effort to get it right, shouldn't they? Consciously or not, you will be judged by how you write, just as much as you are judged by your looks by everyone around you on a daily basis....

Your ideas will only get through pathetic grammar if they really shine... most will equate the inability to formulate a proper sentence with the inability to form a coherent idea.

Case in point: How often did Ben Cobra Boner have to defend his writing skills and explain his disability?

Yeah, that's a fair point. If your post is more than banter and you want to be heard, getting rid of the errors will no doubt help your cause.

But to be honest, I think also that the fact we make these judgements (deliberately or otherwise) is the real flaw, not the fact we make small grammar mistakes. Similarly in the real world we assume someone who is confident is more capable. Confidence is a good indicator once you know the person well, if person X is more confident when speaking about topic Y than when speaking about topic Z you can be pretty sure he/she knows more about topic Y. But if person A is more confident when talking about topic Y than person B is when talking about topic Y...you know pretty much squat about who knows more about Y. Nevertheless most of us will put more faith in person A.

But to be honest, I think also that the fact we make these judgements (deliberately or otherwise) is the real flaw, not the fact we make small grammar mistakes. Similarly in the real world we assume someone who is confident is more capable. Confidence is a good indicator once you know the person well, if person X is more confident when speaking about topic Y than when speaking about topic Z you can be pretty sure he/she knows more about topic Y. But if person A is more confident when talking about topic Y than person B is when talking about topic Y...you know pretty much squat about who knows more about Y. Nevertheless most of us will put more faith in person A.

This is true if you know absolutely nothing about person A or B, but the more I know about them the more I distrust the confident speaker. (at the workplace)
A lot of times it is the quite or timid who are actually completing projects competently while the talker is yabbering on about how much better they could have done it.

narfi

I don`t understand how people make those mistakes? :scratch2:

English is not my native language and I learned it only 2 years in high school. Still, its clear when I should use your/you are.

English is not my native language and I learned it only 2 years in high school. Still, its clear when I should use your/you are.

Guilty! Often I'm focusing on the idea or concept I'm trying to get across and not paying attention to the rules of how to do it. I usually get my point across even if it does annoy the hell out of the spelling and grammar police (sorry). If I'm sending something formal out, I'll be very careful, and I'll usually send a draft to my admin ( who has a degree in English ) to proof it before it goes out. That's not going to happen on a forum like this.

I got sent to Zappa on youtube in another thread.

This song seems appropriate in this one.

Guilty! Often I'm focusing on the idea or concept I'm trying to get across and not paying attention to the rules of how to do it. I usually get my point across even if it does annoy the hell out of the spelling and grammar police (sorry). If I'm sending something formal out, I'll be very careful, and I'll usually send a draft to my admin ( who has a degree in English ) to proof it before it goes out. That's not going to happen on a forum like this.

I still had to look for at least a minute or two the other day when you used "inorite?" LOL

And let`s not forget capitalization while we are at it.

Capitalization is the difference between "I`m helping my uncle jack off a horse" and "I`m helping my Uncle Jack off a horse"

I know it`s a tired one but still funny.

PS. I speak fluent typoese.

This is true if you know absolutely nothing about person A or B, but the more I know about them the more I distrust the confident speaker. (at the workplace)
A lot of times it is the quite or timid who are actually completing projects competently while the talker is yabbering on about how much better they could have done it.

narfi

Yes, it is different when you know the people. Then you have past-knowledge of what them being more/less confidence than usual means for them. For the record though, I wouldn't necessarily think of yabbering as a sign of confidence, more the opposite.

I think generally you learn second languages differently. So often the mistakes native speakers make seem odd to proficient non-native speakers.

Personally like I said, I tend to do it when I'm thinking about the next idea/sentence I'm going to write whilst typing the current one. If, for instance, I was writing in Spanish I wouldn't make similar mistakes because all of my concentration would be focussed on the current words I'm writing, Spanish not coming quite so naturally to me than English. Especially these days, having not used or spoken it much for over a decade sadly.

The idea that there is a 'right' or 'wrong' grammar is really elitism masked. Grammar, spelling, and the like are not important as long as the meaning is accurately conveyed.

If you aren't communicating your meaning, proper grammar, punctuational and spelling are worthless.

English is a constantly evolving language. Ain't wasn't recognized as a word, now it is.

Sorry for ending with a preposition there.

In this setting, an international online forum, a place where ideas run fast and fingers move faster, grammar and punctuation are even less important.

English is a ridiculously difficult language for many second language learners. For example, the word 'bow' has several pronunciations with several meanings for each of them.

bow - a bow and arrow
beau - a boyfriend
bow - I bow to you

Her beau, took a bow, then launched an arrow from his bow towards the apple.

Did he bend over at the waist or did he steal a device to shoot arrows?

Or even the classic buffalo example:

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."

Chinese learners/speakers may know about the classic 'shi' poem.

In the end all this talk about grammar is meh. If the meaning is understood it doesn't matter if you're using 'standard' English or your favorite l33t speak.

Last edited:
Thanks for this useful info your bringing us cent. Now go dust off you're gun and go get some hofz!

Her beau, took a bow, then launched an arrow from his bow towards the apple.

Did he bend over at the waist or did he steal a device to shoot arrows?

The first one. If he'd stolen the bow, he wouldn't have been launching an arrow from his bow...since it is not his :D

But yeah, good post, and always fun to be reminded of the buffalo sentence!

Back