Increased Xfire/Entropia functionality

Xfire is a software product that belongs to MTV networks which in turn is a division of the media giant Viacom
They own among Xfire, the following:
* Film Production and Distribution: Viacom International, Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks, Republic Pictures, MTV Films, Nickelodeon Movies, Go Fish Pictures
* Television Networks: Comedy Central, Logo, BET, Spike, TV Land, Nick at Nite, Nickelodeon, Noggin, The N, Nick Jr., TEENick, MTV, VH1, MTV2, CMT, Palladia
* Television Production and Television Distribution: DreamWorks Television
* Video Gaming: Xfire, Harmonix, GameTrailers, Neopets
* New Media: MTV New Media

Quite impressive list for a company that can't handle simple interview professionally, I dare to say :angel:

Don't forget xfire are internet-terrorists as well (spammers)

But...but...It works with Vista! I have used it for a long time, and I don't have any problems (anymore)

Agreed! I have had no problems with running Xfire on Vista. :scratch2:

ive never been able to get xfire ingame to work on vista...pissed me off during the competition when they were doing the hours played deal :mad:

yea i was trying to figure it out too
would be handy with disciples knowing where they are
mabey it just doesn't work in vista for me also though. so xfire works ingame stuff when your in xp?

Xfire have a DISABLE_FOR_VISTA flag.
[5064]
LongName=Entropia Universe
ShortName=enuniv
LauncherDirKey=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Project Entropia\InstallLocation
LauncherExe=ClientLoader.exe
DetectExe=entropia.exe
Launch=%UA_LAUNCHER_EXE_PATH%
_LAUNCHER_EXTRA_ARGS%
_LAUNCHER_NETWORK_ARGS%
InGameRenderer=D3D9
InGameFlags=USE_PRESENT|USE_SWAPCHAIN|ENABLE_MOUSE|DISABLE_RELEASE|DISABLE_FOR_VISTA|ENABLE_BROWSER
I'll try to do a fresh install of the newest version (beta, if it's available) of Xfire and see what's there.
You can also try to remove it, but it did not brought me anything else than an intput bugs. Try at your own risk.

And BTW: Vista just sux. I'll swap to 2003 when I'll finally have some time to mess with my lappy's drivers and time to do backups.

PS. Oh, and the file is called
Code:
xfire_games.ini
and it's located at
Code:
%programdata%\Xfire\
(typically C:\ProgramData\Xfire\) at Vista, 2k8 and WHS. And probably W7. At other systems is in the same directory as Xfire itself.

Great info. This would explain why activation doesn`t work on vista.

:) wohoo wonderfully

but where can I see it... uhm... :D

Is there a dummy's guide to using Xfire?

I have never used it because I don't know what it is, why I need it, where to get it from, and how to set it up.

Is there a sticky somewhere?

Is there a dummy's guide to using Xfire?

I have never used it because I don't know what it is, why I need it, where to get it from, and how to set it up.

Is there a sticky somewhere?

it's great when u and a friend what's to chat but u play different games

when u wanna take pictures. make a video and upload right away to ur profile

Will there be an API documentation be available at some point in time so we can create own applications with the data provided?

Some questions... is it passing the info to the xfire client and that is passing it to the server? or are MA servers talking to xfire? I suspect the former.

Did someone say it only works if you are logged on to xfire?

Wistrel

PS we may not need an api if its talking to xfire locally...

PS we may not need an api if its talking to xfire locally...

Yes but if that should be the case this would be a huge security risk in my opinion.

Yes but if that should be the case this would be a huge security risk in my opinion.

why?

Logically, if that were the case, its communicating a continent name, a profession and an approx health level locally on your own PC... hardly state secrets :scratch2:

Wistrel

Omg this location thing is such a waste of time ... amertha / eudoria ... does it make any difference ?

Very disappointed...

Switch to steam please..

Oh, it's worth to say that from the few last versions of Xfire EU started being officially supportned by Xfire team. However, the compatibility is still not full (screenshots are disabled) and it's buggy (at last for me) - the window position saving won't work properly and I had strange bugs. Just look :):

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]
It's an addition to each model/texture, not a static image shown only once :). So it's funny, but that's not quite the thing i expected xD.

xfire.game.ini said:
[5064_1]
LongName=Entropia Universe
ShortName=enuniv
LauncherDirKey=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Project Entropia\InstallLocation
LauncherExe=ClientLoader.exe
DetectExe=entropia.exe
Launch=%UA_LAUNCHER_EXE_PATH% %UA_LAUNCHER_EXTRA_ARGS% %UA_LAUNCHER_NETWORK_ARGS%
InGameRenderer=D3D9
VistaInGameFlags=ENABLE_MOUSE|DISABLE_RELEASE|DISABLE_SCREENSHOTS
InGameFlags=USE_PRESENT|USE_SWAPCHAIN|ENABLE_MOUSE|DISABLE_RELEASE

Back