Is it market manipulation? :)

lockhear

Young
Society
Freelancer
Tom lockhear Lockhear
Is it market manipulation or just a little bit expensive mistake of the bidder? :eyecrazy:

Double rofl
Nah i guess it was someone drunk or something :)

WOW. And no, it's not. That's not how market manipulation works. I have NO idea what that person is doing.

Gonna go put some Lyst up with no buyout real quick...

looks like moving money through accounts

Wow either someone messed up and gave that guy a hof, they're trying to manipulate the market, or moving peds between accounts.... I'm thinking the first one as it sounds funnier :)

~Danimal

Somebody effed up :p probably thought he'll pay a BO price but he didn't :p... It's not moving peds between accounts, if it would be, the auction would have a BO...

In my opinion, it could be only two things:

(1) Manipulation
(2) Transfer of money.

Because someone could be drunk but never stupid. ;)

Well like I said it ain't manipulation, so probably transferring of money. I have to PCs personally so I would just trade the PEDs directly between avatars, but presumably this person doesn't have 2.

Still, it'll mess up the Lyst markup for a few days. And yeah, the lack of buyout is odd.

EDIT: Side note, something I hadn't noticed before: Ryan Shorttrack Coverstone doesn't exactly appear to be Mr. Smartypants either. His bid of 35 PED would make it 175% - for Lyst? That's a small quantity, but not small enough for that kind of %.

Last edited:
I guess it's a mistake..
One click on the wrong place did the trick.. And not paying attention to the notification screen and voila..
Wish that happened to me :O

(1) Manipulation
(2) Transfer of money.

:eyecrazy: Wow, either you are being WAY sarcastic, or you completely ignore the human element.

"Can't possibly be a mistake. It has to be some evil plan to intentionally raise the MU."

Just like this thread
Or this one
Or over here.

Nope, those weren't mistakes at all. :rolleyes: And I found those in exactly 48 seconds.

If this is market manipulation, it's the stupidest ever recorded. Item sitting on auction for days, in full view of everyone. Plus no buyout. Oh, and on a material that's almost impossible to push more than ~3%.

Most real market manipulating is done on something with a chance of increased MU. with instant buyout, the auction lasts for all of 3 minutes, and that long, only if the person needs to log out and log into their other ava.

What if the buyer craft's an ath with the list , who laughing then ;)

i dont think anyone tried to manipulate lyst. that would just be stupid :p

i'd say transferring peds, but with no BO, it really does look like a screw up.

Really i think is a money transfer. (a rookie avatar with so much money in his ped card, is very suspicious to me) However, we can expect a post about this, like as a stupid and dangerous error. ;)

:eyecrazy: Wow, either you are being WAY sarcastic, or you completely ignore the human element.

"Can't possibly be a mistake. It has to be some evil plan to intentionally raise the MU."

Just like this thread
Or this one
Or over here.

Nope, those weren't mistakes at all. :rolleyes: And I found those in exactly 48 seconds.

If this is market manipulation, it's the stupidest ever recorded. Item sitting on auction for days, in full view of everyone. Plus no buyout. Oh, and on a material that's almost impossible to push more than ~3%.

Most real market manipulating is done on something with a chance of increased MU. with instant buyout, the auction lasts for all of 3 minutes, and that long, only if the person needs to log out and log into their other ava.

(1) Manipulation
(2) Transfer of money.

Nope never stupid. There are plenty of confirmations/warnings to stop anyone from being stupid.

But wait, haven't we seen many people claiming the "stupid" defense?

The first bid seems to be a market manipulation attempt to me. The second bid though... that seems like a very serious mistake.

The first bid seems to be a market manipulation attempt to me. The second bid though... that seems like a very serious mistake.

Yup and i'm kind of hoping seller keeps it.

Perhaps then when people know their ped are REALLY AT RISK they'll take off the ass hats and pay attention.

ouch!

all in bid :eyecrazy:

just a mistake... look at ammount, previous bid was 35 peds, next 10036, which can easily happen if you dont pay attention or missclick if you have very bad mouse aim... anyway im sure he/she wont make this mistake again :D

I think it's a money transfer....with a mistake of not putting the BO
It could be a husband and a wife doing the transfer. The sellar seemed to me new in EU ( First Global on 2/14/2011)..........and active ...ran out of money.....So getting money through his wife account. Currently they have only one pc............so couldn't do avi to avi transfer.....

I think this is the most likely scenario....and it explains everything except the first bid.....:scratch2:

The bidder has no info in ET. So either a trader or a newbie.....A trader is unlikely to do this mistake. So most likely a newbie....and a newbie along with another newbie unlikely to manipulate MU.....and lyst is not the best item for manipulation.

The sellar is interested in vehicle manufacturing.... So i guess is planning for longer term investment as opposed to casual entertainment

LOL...guyes come on.........tell us more creative plausible stories behind this

Last edited:
A prostitute getting paid?

Or it was supposed to be a 36 ped bid....and then oops...

wow havnt seen such a strange bid before... even the 35 ped bid on 20 ped lysterium is still high %.. maybe the seller and the bidder are the same person? maybe he deposited with 10 stolen credit cards and wanted to transfer the money through auction on his main avatar :laugh: but thats most likely not the case cuz he would put a buyout of 10k peds instead of bidding

in an update not too long ago ma claimed this was impossible to do anymore

Yup and i'm kind of hoping seller keeps it.

Perhaps then when people know their ped are REALLY AT RISK they'll take off the ass hats and pay attention.
If it only was that easy...

I've said it previously and I stand by it - gambling and drug abuse goes hand in hand.

I'm not saying EU is only gambling, but we all know it's got the elements in it. Hell, the fact you can't turn off the HoF spews is in itself a testament to MA viewing it as gambling.

Some get addicted to the gambling element, and it's not unlikely they also have other addictions. Which addiction is the chicken and which is the egg is moot, the fact is that while they play they are also intoxicated. I know this. You (every reader of this post) likely also knows this. Mindark knows this.

For some, losing such a large amount of money could perhaps be an eye-opener, perhaps helping them turn their life around for the better. But if deep enough, that won't do shit to help them. If anything, such a mega loss mistake (for some 10k is peanuts, for some it's more money in-game than they ever could dream of depositing) might rather push them over the edge.

But the large question is - how to attempt to prevent such mistakes while intoxicated?

Well, MA could put up a BIG RED warning if you're about to bid either >95% of your card or a clearly insane MU on something. As it is now, you get a small dialog looking like all other small dialogs that says... well, is it even implemented yet?

That BIG RED warning would normally not hit any one of us, and if it did - we'd have reason to react. Think of it as the UAC-prompt in Windows Vista/7, but inside EU instead.

I think people are required to be held responsible and accountable for their own actions as much as the next person, but when it's know many customers use the system while "not in their right mind" (intoxicated) I also think the system needs to provide extra safety harness for those that might temporarily need it.

If you find flaws in my reasoning, please punch holes in it and if possible replace with an alternative, because I think this may in the end turn into a suggestion for MA to implement.

all i can say is - my bid was in no way a planned market manipulation but a mistake i made due to paying not much attention ... my bad.. i hope this guy steps forward and we can solve that ...

about the other guy, who bidded 10k .. no clue ...

Back