Help: is my PC running too hot???

That's a good point, MB bios updates do resolve many issues, I would agree that if this has never been done then it should be. It comes with a word or warning, follow the instructions to a tee if you don't there a potential that you won't be able to boot from that MB again. :eyecrazy:

Yeha there were lots of warnings when i was doing it, i did a flash thingy on the motherboard, and it said "CAREFUL CARFEUL", but as i was out of options and only use the comp for EU i thought what the hell why not

Rgds

Ace

This probably might not help you, but it solved my problem peachy

I had the same thing, freezing after 30 mins or so

I tried lots of things, fans at 100%

More powerful power supply

Virus stuff, cleaning everything

Nothign worked, then the solution and it was painfully simple

Got the latest update for the motherboard...problem was solved

NO idea if this will help you, but consider it an option

Rgds

Ace

EDIT: i have an asus motherboard

i gues you mean this flashing mother board thingy...
i did it once on my old system but i had realy good support from a friend. He gave me files on cd or floppy, excatly set for my MB... it was still kinda difficult althou he told every little step to do. i dont think i would be able to handle it alone.
or do you mean to update my motherboard drivers?

i gues you mean this flashing mother board thingy...
i did it once on my old system but i had realy good support from a friend. He gave me files on cd or floppy, excatly set for my MB... it was still kinda difficult althou he told every little step to do. i dont think i would be able to handle it alone.
or do you mean to update my motherboard drivers?

motherboard drivers I updated, asus also have a download program that did it all for me and offered to flash it for me which I excepted

Rgds

Ace

Posted via Mobile Device

I think we are going off on a tangent - flashing the bios wont reduce the temperature. ;)

Also read Heap's last sentence again.

motherboard drivers I updated, asus also have a download program that did it all for me and offered to flash it for me which I excepted

Rgds

Ace

Posted via Mobile Device

where do you found this?
im a little confused now...
i went to asus support page where i choose my motherboard... p5q socket 775... it shows me a dropdown list: BIOS, BIOS utilitys, chipset etc... i downloaded the intel chipset(dont ask my why) and installed it... but i did kinda nothing just a msg showed up that everythin got succesfully installed...

where do you found this?
im a little confused now...
i went to asus support page where i choose my motherboard... p5q socket 775... it shows me a dropdown list: BIOS, BIOS utilitys, chipset etc... i downloaded the intel chipset(dont ask my why) and installed it... but i did kinda nothing just a msg showed up that everythin got succesfully installed...

One of the downloads was asus download manager, or something like that. I will check when I get home

Rgds

Ace

Posted via Mobile Device

An overheating PC will simply shut down to prevent damage to the CPU... It will switch off completely, not just lock up.

If yours is locking up (freezing) then I would suspect either the RAM sticks or the power supply... Replaced my sons RAM this weekend and now he's a happy camper.

Hi M8,

Don’t want to bring more confusion but I had a same problem.
So when I was surfing and e.g. watching movies I didn’t have any problems, but soon as I start some 3D application (games usually) it gets frozen.
My CPU fan was working (Spinning) but it was damaged, and it was not spinning at max revolutions!!!
Luckily I found some software (nothing special but helped a lot!!!) called Everest, and after scan it reported that CPU fan speed was too low when loaded.
After CPU fan replacement everything goes back to normal.
P.S. u don’t have to use Everest, probably some of the software linked above could detect more precisely the speed of your fan.

Hope this will help,

Regards

Temp solution in game lol is this- look in the sky with your ava and listen your gfx fan, then look down . If fan start to work at full - is that cause - intensive graphics - grass, trees, plants , some big TPs, mindforce and such.
Low setings help a litle.
I have ATI 4800 and need to avoid Troy area for that efect.
Or alt tab to desktop for short to give time gfx card to go down with temerature.

Start thinging of better that ATI 4800 may help in future lol.

An overheating PC will simply shut down to prevent damage to the CPU... It will switch off completely, not just lock up.

If yours is locking up (freezing) then I would suspect either the RAM sticks or the power supply... Replaced my sons RAM this weekend and now he's a happy camper.

had a new hight yesterday 83°C then the system just shut down. :(
wtf is wrong so now its RAM AND the CPU???

Since it's summer, take your PC, go outside, open your case, close your eyes and blow inside. Do this blow-thing a few times and maybe use a vacuum-cleaner with low suction power. Check that there's no dust in there, especially clean all fans in there.

If that doesn't help, keep the case open while you are playing or even put a fan somewhere to blow in some fresh air.

I agree with the vacuuming-but NEVER play with your case open unless you optimised it to do so. The fans in a normal case are set up for the case to be closed for optimal air flow-if you open up the case it reduces the loss of heat-Unless you put a desk fan directly aimed at it (which is what I did a couple of years ago in a heatwave before my watercooling :p)

be ever so carefull with a vacume cleaner it can easely generate static electricity frying or damaging memory modules.
best is just to avoid using one and get presurized air from computer store or blow at it and something to poke the cloged up dust off, dont forget the fans :laugh:

had a new hight yesterday 83°C then the system just shut down. :(
wtf is wrong so now its RAM AND the CPU???

If your CPU is running at 83 degrees C you need to take of the CPU fan, apply the thermal paste as in the youtube clip above, reattach the fan (making sure all 4 push pins are connected correctly), make sure you have connected the CPU fan to the motherboard (so it is spinning)

Then you need to check both front and rear fans are spinning.

That's it.

You could do with pasting a picture of whatever temperature sensing program you are using too.

If your CPU is running at 83 degrees C you need to take of the CPU fan, apply the thermal paste as in the youtube clip above, reattach the fan (making sure all 4 push pins are connected correctly), make sure you have connected the CPU fan to the motherboard (so it is spinning)

Then you need to check both front and rear fans are spinning.

That's it.

You could do with pasting a picture of whatever temperature sensing program you are using too.

yea im going to.
just right now i neither got the paste nor the time to do it :D

The video mega posted is the worst applying method. It leaves air pockets which makes it running hotter than it would with other methods.

You should watch this video to see what I mean and use either pea/dot or cross method :)

[YOUTUBE]EyXLu1Ms-q4[/YOUTUBE]

yea im going to.
just right now i neither got the paste nor the time to do it :D

Usually you are supplied with the paste with the heatsink. Better stuff (such as Arctic Silver) you can buy online or from computer shops.

I'm starting to think this whole thread is a wind up and so wont post in it any further.

If this has only just started happening then a possibility is some sort of mechanical failure such as one of the fans no longer working. Another non-obvious possibility is moving the main box itself to a confined place (such as under a desk) that affects airflow. (If you're not careful, you might end up with the hot air coming out of the machine being sucked back in.)

Another cause of greater heating is not enough memory - which thrashes the hard disk more, making more heat. I upgraded my laptop from 512MB to 1.25GB a year or so ago, and it went from the surrounds of the keypad being uncomfortably hot to being OK - the hard disk is under the keyboard and off to one side.

I agree with the vacuuming-but NEVER play with your case open unless you optimised it to do so. The fans in a normal case are set up for the case to be closed for optimal air flow-if you open up the case it reduces the loss of heat-Unless you put a desk fan directly aimed at it (which is what I did a couple of years ago in a heatwave before my watercooling :p)

Well, you can't really do anything wrong. In case it gets too hot (again), the PSU just shuts down (again).

As far as the external fan is concerned I wouldn't recommend to turn it to full blast as that really interferes with the internal heat flow and also may put more stress on the internal fans as they need to "work" more to spin normally. I mean you don't really need more than a mild breeze to achieve some effect.

You could also try to get a dog wag his tail and sit it in front of the open case for a while :D:D:D. Or put some blades on the side of the hamster cage and let it run for a while... :rolleyes:

However, the WWF might not like this...

Usually you are supplied with the paste with the heatsink. Better stuff (such as Arctic Silver) you can buy online or from computer shops.

I'm starting to think this whole thread is a wind up and so wont post in it any further.

mabye you or me missunderstood something here...
when i got the intel core duo it first came with this goo already applied in a circle on the cpu... i just installed the fan on top. what i understood is; i should scrap the old crapy goo down and paste it with new.
Either i got no idea what you mean with this thread is a wind up. If you dont want to post here anymore its ok, i thank you for your support you gave so far.
I think it may be the wrong forum to ask this kind of things anyway but since my pc froze in EU a few times i had no other idea what to do and posted here. I also must say some of the answeres confused me a bit too :scratch2:

mabye you or me missunderstood something here...
when i got the intel core duo it first came with this goo already applied in a circle on the cpu... i just installed the fan on top. what i understood is; i should scrap the old crapy goo down and paste it with new.
Either i got no idea what you mean with this thread is a wind up. If you dont want to post here anymore its ok, i thank you for your support you gave so far.
I think it may be the wrong forum to ask this kind of things anyway but since my pc froze in EU a few times i had no other idea what to do and posted here. I also must say some of the answeres confused me a bit too :scratch2:

Also it would be nice if you just try any of this 1000 advices and then post again ;).

Back