Question: Is tiering up unl. armor usefull?

Is tiering up unl. armor usefull?

• Total voters

DRDoom

Elite
Society
Why So Serious
DRDoom
Armor tiering is is worth it?

Is it actually valuable to spend money to tier up your unl armor? Oppose to weapon tiering it doesn't seem very usefull.

With weapon tiering you see a nice dmg increase when using enhancers, but with armor the protection increase in only marginal.

I also don't really see an added value in buying and selling tiered armor pieces vs untiered armor. Also oppose to weapons where it does make a difference in value and the money you spend for the tiering is 'lost' when selling it again.

If I ask around, most ppl tier up armor just because it is ready to be tiered (and maybe to get a HOF entry for 24 hours) or even for the tiering skills, but it seems that nobody is actually using the enhancers on unl armor.

So do you think tiering up unl armor usefull or just a waste of money?

I have Eon SGA, and that is a base protection of 225 points. I dont usually hunt mobs that require my armors full protection, but 5% og 225 is still 11,25points on each tire.

Now I have two parts at T1 and the rest is T2, some are even getting close to T3. So at this moment I dont keep track and make use of all my enhancer slots on the different parts. I usually craft enhancers maybe every other month.

When peoples armors starts to get to T3 or above, then I think using enhancers will be very useful, and you will feel the impact of the extra protection, on my armor that would be 225 Vs. 258,75 (T3)

I have Eon SGA, and that is a base protection of 225 points. I dont usually hunt mobs that require my armors full protection, but 5% og 225 is still 11,25points on each tire.

Now I have two parts at T1 and the rest is T2, some are even getting close to T3. So at this moment I dont keep track and make use of all my enhancer slots on the different parts. I usually craft enhancers maybe every other month.

When peoples armors starts to get to T3 or above, then I think using enhancers will be very useful, and you will feel the impact of the extra protection, on my armor that would be 225 Vs. 258,75 (T3)

33.75 (225 vs 258.75) seems to be a nice protection increase at first.
But you never get that extra protection against mobs.

For example your Eon does 9 different types of protection. But I think there are no mobs that are doing more than 3 different types of damage, so even at tier 3 you get a maximum 11.25 extra protection against a mob. With mobs doing only 1 type of dmg it will give you only 3.75 extra protection.
Then if you consider the cost of bringing all 7 pieces to tier3 AND the cost of the protection enhancers on top of that, is it really worth it?

Last edited:
I think it's worth it in some cases (specifically PvP and against mobs that do tons of damage). When you think of how much uber armours cost, it may be cheaper to tier up mid-high level armour to the same protection, or just tiering up uber armour to make it even MORE uber.

But yeah, if you don't need the extra protection, there's no need.

I would agree Doom at this point in comparison to weapons or even FAP's it seems absolutely pointless to tier UL armor. I did my set anyway just for the hell of it, but seeing .5 - 1.5 extra protection on top of an already high stat is just laughable really.

Hopefully they'll change something around for UL armors to make tiering them actually worth a damn. Just another kick in the face for not using (L) items ;)

Voted no, but as Hijacker said, their might be some armors worth tiering. But over all i would say no :)

I voted yes... because my buddy has a T3 set of angel and it is identical in stats to my protector armor at T1 so it's a cheaper way to "afford" better armor without actually paying the price tag :)

~Danimal

Well I voted yes. If it takes 3-4 times longer to tier up armour than a weapon or fap, then the enhancers should last 3-4 times as long :laugh:. Well it seemed to be the case with my tier 2 settler set ;).

Mark, you put enhancers on Settler? :eyecrazy:

Maybe if they offered enhancers (dehancers?) that decreased protection and therefore decay that would make them even better scaffolding for plates.

Well I voted yes. If it takes 3-4 times longer to tier up armour than a weapon or fap, then the enhancers should last 3-4 times as long :laugh:. Well it seemed to be the case with my tier 2 settler set ;).

Yes they do last quite awhile on armor pieces..I started off on thursday with 70 defence enhancers on my armor and now I am down to 66 of them and I'm still hunting aurli day in day out... weapons on the other hand, those enhancers break rather quickly

~Danimal

Mark, you put enhancers on Settler? :eyecrazy:

Maybe if they offered enhancers (dehancers?) that decreased protection and therefore decay that would make them even better scaffolding for plates.
Yes I put defense enhancers on my settler set, because I believe the more decay recieved will make it tier faster!! :laugh: Though I've since sold my enhancers without any breaking, from tier 1 to tier 2 non broke. It gave me 0.1 increase on some stats at no extra cost, decay seemed virtually the same.

For an example: Tiering up a Gnome set like I do is totally pointless :wise::laugh:

For an example: Tiering up a Gnome set like I do is totally pointless :wise::laugh:

I would have to agree..that's why tiers are only helpful on good armors lol

~Danimal

If nothing else, it is a way of keeping score. So yes, I will tier up my explorer and warrior, never mind bigger armors.

Yes they do last quite awhile on armor pieces..I started off on thursday with 70 defence enhancers on my armor and now I am down to 66 of them and I'm still hunting aurli day in day out... weapons on the other hand, those enhancers break rather quickly

~Danimal

Hi, did you take into account you have 7 armor pieces and therefore (when hits are evenly distributed) they recieve each 1/7 of the total hits you receive. Also considered the rate you fire your gun?
It would mean to me that over the same amount of time enhancers break faster on weapons because they are used a lot more, but the enhancers on the armor are a hell lot less used in the same time period.

Have been putting some more thought into this. Am not fussed about PvP so looking at the issue from a hunting perspective.

Generally, in hunting, you want as little protection as possible that will still allow you to kill the mob without dying or combat fapping. I agree that an additional 5% protection on one hit doesnt do a lot. But if as a result of that extra few points of protection, a mob that would normally kill you in 4 hits, instead takes 5, then you have a bigger chance of killing the mob and then doing cheaper fapping. Or if you hire a good fapper, then you might be trying to survive those crits or big hits for long enough for your medical support team to save you.

So perhaps there is a combo of armour plus enhance vs mob that becomes more eco through reduced deaths, reduced combat fapping and cheaper in decay terms than a bigger set of armour.

If you get 1 point of extra damage absorbed from mobs on each armor piece/tier that's 7 HP points/full set that armor absorbs and you don't have to use the fap to heal it.

As far as I know a HP protected by armor decay is always cheaper then if you use fap to heal it. This is true unless you have adj/imp/mod fap, but how many "regular" players have those :rolleyes:

You don't have to use all the time enhancers on armor but it's always good to have options.

For example, on a set of martial sga you can easily bump impact protection to over 50 with 5b and 2 tier slots unlocked. That's very useful for certain mobs or if you want to be sure you don't have to fap during events.

On low level armors I see no point on spending money with tiering.

when tanking a warlock 08 i find it useful that my poe is mostly tier 3. when tanking an allo, no not so much.

pretty good ideas were already express

in my case Id just upgrade at least for fun and I do that with my armor every time it hits the x.9...
always nice to have a choice ...

Durability enhancers are pretty good on L armours, not sure they're worth it on UL armours though.

I tier my UL Warrior when its ready, only really for the fun of the tier hofs given as its pretty cheap to tier. For uber armours I can see some point to tiering for extra protection.

Durability enhancers are pretty good on L armours, not sure they're worth it on UL armours though.

I tier my UL Warrior when its ready, only really for the fun of the tier hofs given as its pretty cheap to tier. For uber armours I can see some point to tiering for extra protection.

Well sometimes I like to place durability enhancers on my armor for aurlis, they chew on your armor a lot and it does help to have that extra 5% durability on it :)

~Danimal

Well sometimes I like to place durability enhancers on my armor for aurlis, they chew on your armor a lot and it does help to have that extra 5% durability on it :)

~Danimal

yep, & on low lvl armors, it makes sure I can do longer runs b4 repairing;)

As far as I know a HP protected by armor decay is always cheaper then if you use fap to heal it. This is true unless you have adj/imp/mod fap, but how many "regular" players have those :rolleyes:

Not quite true, since armour decay is quadratic, the increase in decay is a lot larger at higher levels than at lower levels. Depending on the fap you're using and its markup, fapping becomes more eco at around 30-50 damage absorption on the armour alone (not counting plates). Of course this will slow down your dps and increase your armour decay per mob even more, but that's not a factor when you have a fapper. Unless you really need the protection (more damage than you could outfap or take in one hit, or during an event), I probably wouldn't ever use an armour with more than 60 damage absorption on a mob, and just supplement the extra damage with a fapper.

And to those using durability enhancers on UL armour... learn how durability actually works on armour, and you'll realise you're just wasting PED (on the enhancer breakage, which will be much more expensive than the decay you are saving).

And to those using durability enhancers on UL armour... learn how durability actually works on armour, and you'll realise you're just wasting PED (on the enhancer breakage, which will be much more expensive than the decay you are saving).

Enlighten me please :)

Enlighten me please :)

Well, lets put it this way, if we have two armours that both absorb 50 damage, one with 1000 durability and one with 6000 durability, the first would decay 5.267 pec and the second would decay 5.001 pec. And that's with a HUGE durability difference. The reduced decay from a 5% gain (say 4000 to 4200 like with angel or something), would only be a few millipec, and if durability enhancers last for an average of 1000 hits (just a number I pulled out of my ass), the cost of the enhancer (60 pec plus markup) would most likely be higher than the decay savings.

Even if you're using angel at its full potential (90 damage absorption), it'll normally decay 11.893 pec, or 11.869 pec with 1 durability enhancer, thats a saving of 0.024 pec per hit, so the durability enhancer would have to last 2500 hits for even the tt of the enhancer to be worth it, let alone the markup.

Well, lets put it this way, if we have two armours that both absorb 50 damage, one with 1000 durability and one with 6000 durability, the first would decay 5.267 pec and the second would decay 5.001 pec. And that's with a HUGE durability difference. The reduced decay from a 5% gain (say 4000 to 4200 like with angel or something), would only be a few millipec, and if durability enhancers last for an average of 1000 hits (just a number I pulled out of my ass), the cost of the enhancer (60 pec plus markup) would most likely be higher than the decay savings.

Even if you're using angel at its full potential (90 damage absorption), it'll normally decay 11.893 pec, or 11.869 pec with 1 durability enhancer, thats a saving of 0.024 pec per hit, so the durability enhancer would have to last 2500 hits for even the tt of the enhancer to be worth it, let alone the markup.

lol. Thanks for the info! I have never thought of calcing the advantage of having T1 dura on my bear set but it's really costing more than it saves at current MU if the break rate is like you are saying ^^

Thats why is just craft my own enhanvers, that way everything is at cost instead of markup. Surr it migjt cost me a little more but not having to run to the terminal to rrpair as often is worth it for me :)

~Danimal

Thats why is just craft my own enhanvers, that way everything is at cost instead of markup. Surr it migjt cost me a little more but not having to run to the terminal to rrpair as often is worth it for me :)

~Danimal

Lol, if you look at my numbers, you'll realize that even on UL armours with high durability (and high tts to go with it lol), the difference in decay is even less than minimal.. The decrease in decay for UL items from 5% more durability is less than 0.2%! That means you'll get an extra 7.2 seconds of hunting time from an hour of armour decay! (and enhancer breakage)

Back