FYI: LAG

Another day cut short due to frustration over this lag. I don't think I'm the only spending less time than I'd like in game because of this...

Another day cut short due to frustration over this lag. I don't think I'm the only spending less time than I'd like in game because of this...
True story. Vote with your wallet. Wait! Is that the Trump Train!!

Please address this issue before Mayhem, it is extremely frustrating!

What is the point of this? We have been complaining loud and clear for months and they just don't care.

worst lag spikes is when traveling and switching from area to area (you can see lines on the ground at this point and the game literally freeze a tiny second)
when hunting you have a blank in autoshoot and after the spike, the weapon fires successively 3-4 times

I'm connected with optic fiber and have no issue on my pcs on other online games, only on EU which is really strange lol

What is the point of this? We have been complaining loud and clear for months and they just don't care.
We haven't as we should have, hence they think it's just the common lag people talk about since the game began. So the point of this is to have players add their experience and maybe it would determine someone from MA to first forward it, then look into it and test it, see that there really is something there, then fix it. Hopefully before Mayhem.

Again, no point to this thread. Had you done a forum search first, you would have seen the multiple posts identical to this one. I also know hundreds if not thousands of support cases have been submitted over this. Then to add insult to injury, MA has said they are aware of the issue publicly.

So, I am asking again, what is the point of this redundant thread when we (the community) have complained loudly, and clearly, MA has admitted there is an issue, and obviously does not care?

Again, no point to this thread. Had you done a forum search first, you would have seen the multiple posts identical to this one. I also know hundreds if not thousands of support cases have been submitted over this. Then to add insult to injury, MA has said they are aware of the issue publicly.

So, I am asking again, what is the point of this redundant thread when we (the community) have complained loudly, and clearly, MA has admitted there is an issue, and obviously does not care?
Probably if people who are experiencing this would all report it via support case, it would be fixed pretty quick :)
It's OK to not like this thread, you can not look at it. If you think it breaks any rules, report it to be deleted. I and others think it's important. Even if it was already posted, it seems MA doesn't understand the kind of lag we have atm.

Probably if people who are experiencing this would all report it via support case, it would be fixed pretty quick :)
It's OK to not like this thread, you can not look at it. If you think it breaks any rules, report it to be deleted. I and others think it's important. Even if it was already posted, it seems MA doesn't understand the kind of lag we have atm.

Wrong again, it has been reported to support hundreds of times. At least a dozen of them myself. Again, MA has said publicly it is aware of the issue and NOTHING has been done to fix the it.

I think you have some sort of strange optimism about MA. I have been playing this since October of 2005. MA does not fix much of anything in a reasonable amount of time if they fix it at all. We still have MAJOR collision model issues, unreachable mob issues for YEARS, mobs spawning inside rocks and trees, and plenty of other issues that have existed for a DECADE and have not been fixed.

You may have even noticed, MA admitted publicly their support does not operate properly in the thread about the TWO YEARS they knew about the Yog pet issue and did nothing.

Wrong again, it has been reported to support hundreds of times. At least a dozen of them myself. Again, MA has said publicly it is aware of the issue and NOTHING has been done to fix the it.

I think you have some sort of strange optimism about MA. I have been playing this since October of 2005. MA does not fix much of anything in a reasonable amount of time if they fix it at all. We still have MAJOR collision model issues, unreachable mob issues for YEARS, mobs spawning inside rocks and trees, and plenty of other issues that have existed for a DECADE and have not been fixed.

You may have even noticed, MA admitted publicly their support does not operate properly in the thread about the TWO YEARS they knew about the Yog pet issue and did nothing.

You can quit trying but it doesn't mean others have to or that you should interfere.

What MA or their support team say at any given time about an issue is irrelevant to the matter of its resolution. Here, let me show you some proof:

Suggestion: Item lock function -> implemented
Suggestion: Screenshot function -> implemented
Suggestion: Enable sound when minimized -> implemented
Suggestion: Open up mayhem categories -> implemented (new practice mode)
Suggestion: Timing of robot events -> implemented
Suggestion: Mission for mayhem mobs -> implemented (as codex)
Suggestion: Caperon iron challenge -> implemented

Bug: UL blueprint markup -> fixed
Bug: Access to the aurli cave since CODEX -> fixed
Bug: Excessive number of buffs -> fixed (even though no change was reported)
Bug: Ridiculous hitboxes -> mostly fixed (and reworked again on VU16)

... I could keep going but you get the idea.

Every single one of my suggestion/bug threads were accompanied by a suport case. Most of those cases were dismissed with the typical copy/paste text, and still they got fixed/implemented.

So please keep complaining until the lag fixed, do it in a polite and orderly manner. Provide info as requested, and do not harass the support team in any way.

If MA knows what is good for them this will be fixed at some point.

My Support Cases

History for support case 383975:

2020-03-21 09:03 You wrote:

Hello,

so its been few months that iam having these lags.
I got big lag (3 to 10 seconds) lets say 3-10 times for hour.
After lag i got message "Failed, Failed, Failed" and then its ok wfor a while.
These lags started some time ago i thin it was merry mayhem it before there was message "the person cannot be discpiled" or something like that.

Iam adding screen shot after lag.

Is there anything i can do about it?

Best regards
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2020-03-21 18:01 Entropia Universe Support:

Hi RetroCZ,

Thank you for contacting us.

We suggest that you do a complete uninstall of Entropia Universe, once you have done so, please make sure that there are no remaining folders and files from your previous install, please follow these steps below.

First off, uninstall Entropia Universe, make sure that there are no remaining files from the previous install. Please check the folders, Program, Program (x86) or (x64) and the hidden Folder "ProgramData" for any remaining Entropia Universe Files.

In order to show hidden folders in your local disc, Open File Explorer from the taskbar. Select View - Options - Change folder and search options. Select the View tab and, in Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives and press "OK".

Then visit our website and download a new installer, since it has been updated and improved and install the client.

Do not hesitate to reply to this case if the issue persists afterward.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind regards,
Jeff | Entropia Universe Support
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2020-03-22 08:03 You wrote:
Hi Jeff,

so i did uninstall entropia, delete all folders and install the game again.

It took 5 minutes and lags with failed message appear again.

It seems like its problem only in fight. When iam runing or doing another things this proble does not occured, only when iam in combat.
2020-03-22 20:00 Entropia Universe Support:

Hi RetroCZ,

Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconvenience that this is causing you.

Unfortunately, we don't have any information about this issue at the current time to be able to provide you with a more satisfying reply, but please rest assured that we have forwarded your case to the responsible department for further investigation.

We hope to have more information for you soon.

Kind regards,
Entropia Universe Support
2020-03-29 12:58 You wrote:

Hi,

is there any progress?

Kind regards,
RetroCZ
2020-04-14 19:16 You wrote:

Hello, still no response?
I can see many people has the same problem when iam watching streams and youtube videos.

No reply for long time.
Are you ingoring me?
2020-05-07 14:16 Entropia Universe Support:
Hi RetroCZ,

Thank you for replying.

Please rest assured that we are currently investigating this issue.

Kind regards,
Jeff | Entropia Universe Support
2020-09-24 19:39 You wrote:
Hi,

is there any progress to solve this issue?
You did remove that message failed from screen, but lags are still issue, very big issue!

Kind Regards

Nothing from since.

Please add my name to the list of victims. Lag has become so unbearable, that I have had to pull the plug on hunting anything serious.
Lag can easily freeze the game for up to 10 seconds, every couple of minutes, which while hunting drakes and dragons for example, results in frequent death. I also like to hunt Broods in Crystal Palace's cave, which have an incredibly high regen rate. Each death is a loss of several peds, as they are back to 100% health by the time you get back.
Ironically, it's got even worse since the removal of those innocent iron missions on Caly.
I don't know if it's due to database queries or data routing issues, both plausible, but it's reasonable to assume that it's very likely a server-side issue, because in my experience it seems to affect multiple if not all players at the same time during shared mobs events.

It seems like its problem only in fight. When iam runing or doing another things this proble does not occured, only when iam in combat.

Thanl you for sharing this. There's that detail that keeps bugging me and here's what I think:
Pretty sure it's the loot server/mechanism loot pool calculation or w/e.
I agree, it only happens when you are hunting (I hear that lately in mining too?) and it happens when calculations are conducted for the loot, possibly about 50%-75% into the mob's HP.
Those who remember and played during the loot 2.0 implementation, right after the update we were getting big lag spike when looting so they moved at some point the calculation soon and fixed it. This kind of lag got fixed several times but they keep forgetting to fix it once and for all and keeps coming back with new VUs.... I'm tempted to start a go-live plan for them, a checklist to look at bugs that keep reoccurring after being fixed.

@Kaiser what do you want from me man, we don't think the same, it's OK. Yeah, I'm an optimist person and once I'm not, I'm out for good. Not planning to lurk around the game if I really dislike it.
I'm just trying a different angle here hoping someone from the community could come with a good enough explanation to trigger a spark on the other side....

I tend to be a bit blunt, nothing personal, I just don't see the point of clogging the forum with a post on something that is well known, wholly understood by both sides, and has been summarily ignored by MA completely.

At this point, 1,000 posts about the same thing over and over again is not going to get anywhere. All it does is make it much harder to aggregate all the talk about the same subject. This should all be discussed in one huge thread (the first one) not in ten or twenty little threads with their own "special angle". That just gets LESS attention not more.

Last edited:
Why not use an online petition system for each type of problem, maybe it would help MA to see the number of players who are tired of these bugs ?

Don't forget that during these mini lags, the creatures continue to hurt us (armor decay), for some of us there are dead people, all this at a cost to the player, small but present. (Ammo because mob regen, and ME for TP chip)

I'm not sure the team reads the whole forum and I think the community should list problem by problem with a signing system for each player. Maybe that will give Mindark a prioritized list.

Kaiser, I might be wrong but it seems clear that you are not very familiar with software engineering. For a dev, whatever was there before last VU, becomes automatically irrelevant. Imagine for a moment that we were still running the same thread from say 2017. Do you really believe the devs, or anybody else at MA would still be taking notice of posts on page 221?
The answer would be a resounding no. Right? Wrong? I am not here to tell, but from a practical point of view the reasons for lag could well change over time.
More importantly, we are all on the same boat and it feels a bit puzzling to put so much energy into arguing about where and how to highlight a systemic issue. Top of the forum, that's where it should be and surely you'll agree that whatever achieves that is doing all of us a favour.

I tend to be a but blunt, nothing personal, I just don't see the point of clogging the forum with a post on something that is well known, wholly understood by both sides, and has been summarily ignored by MA completely.

At this point, 1,000 posts about the same thing over and over again is not going to get anywhere. All it does is make it much harder to aggregate all the talk about the same subject. This should all be discussed in one huge thread (the first one) not in ten or twenty little threads with their own "special angle". That just gets LESS attention not more.

I would suggest a online Protest:
Everyone hunts puny Mobs with low Regen, naked for a Weekend. Maybe MA notice that and understands the the urge to cure lag after that.

We are a majority concerned about this problem, as you said it's happening, in average when the mob is half HP, and sometimes four or five times on the same mob. I've been fapping a friend on big mobs, fatty warriors etc, sometimes I couldn't fap, he couldn't shoot, getting us both killed, and that makes us spend more, Mind Essence to come back asap to avoid the mob to regen too much. What is the point in investing in uber gear if you can't play properly and still dying when you're not supposed too ?

Eve, don't you think something like a petition would make things move a bit faster as they would see a lot of names really concerned about that ?

They have said that they were working on it already but could not isolate a single cause for this problem so far. Maybe there is more than one, but there definitely must be more than zero. The problem has not always existed, hence it was introduced upon implementation of something. But it seems we can't discern what exactly that was. Maybe it is a side effect of new components playing together, such things can be a bitch to resolve. Let's devise a strategy!

Well, how many possible culprits do we have: Client, server, database, network, what else? Since it evidently can affect anyone even with the best possible network coupling money can buy, this part seems less likely, so let's put it at the end if all else fails. Client and server each are big monolithic programs (I may be making assumptions here in some parts but then just translate the following ideas).

I'm not up to date with all the latest but there should be debugging and profiling tools which can be injected at compile time so that the compiled result produces extra information on its live performance down to every class and function. (I struggled with the learning curve of gdb already in the nineties and ended up making Perl scripts for adding profiling code to C programs, lol, sure there are professionals here who know better.) It must be possible to detect this way where exactly the out-of-bounds behaviour occurs. If it's a database problem, this would catch at least the request which causes it.

A server version prepared with debugging code could be deployed in a specific region to be tested by the public for the amount of time needed, say a week or a month. A debugging client could be rolled out to a number of users who sign up as beta tester.

I'm sure many participants will be more than happy to help tackle this beast. We'll get this done together if the powers that be decide to go this route. I know it is not our job to tell them how to do their job, and this is not what this post intends at all. Only to gather support for active user participation in collecting the information that would lead to a solution. The time until Halloween is probably a tad short but we should be able to do it before the year-end high season. Yes?

Could be related to loot , but I have noticed when I do "slaughter hunts" on mid lvl mobs and
running towards the mob and shooting, when lag occurs the pet I'm taming keeps moving
while avatar stand still. So server seem to also lose the position in movement and not only actions
done from the avatar.
(Also reason why we get hit I guess, server "see" us as if we are passive and register no actions from
client.)

@San

What I noticed over the years is that MA fixes bugs that cost MA money the fastest. If we create a situation where we, the users of this service, create a situation where MA is loosing money they have at least a incentive to fix it. If we all hunt Puny mobs with low regen and doing it naked we will generate a lot less decay and income to MA and they, MA, have a incentive to cure the problem which makes us generate much less profit for them.

PS: It is most certainly something in the communication protocol wrong as, when you step aside during lag you can see the mob who is attacking you running past you and continues to run away until lag is gone and he is suddenly in front of you. So the error is in the communication between server and client as the client is still drawing and placing the mob with the last movement informations he had from the server.

What I noticed over the years is that MA fixes bugs that cost MA money the fastest. If we create a situation where we, the users of this service, create a situation where MA is loosing money they have at least a incentive to fix it. If we all hunt Puny mobs with low regen and doing it naked we will generate a lot less decay and income to MA and they, MA, have a incentive to cure the problem which makes us generate much less profit for them.
It is not realistic to expect the larger part of any user base to submit to such a protocol for the purpose of enforcing change. Many see things differently or don't care or don't receive the message.

PS: It is most certainly something in the communication protocol wrong as, when you step aside during lag you can see the mob who is attacking you running past you and continues to run away until lag is gone and he is suddenly in front of you. So the error is in the communication between server and client as the client is still drawing and placing the mob with the last movement informations he had from the server.
Entirely plausible, but what's causing it? We need to find where and why this disconnect happens. Its occurring every few minutes hints at something building up which then causes a blockage, as if some block of data is stored or transferred at regular intervals or whenever a buffer is filled, and a function isn't returning until this is done.

@San

Even if something is done that isn't so drastic as a strike, or similar, and some maybe satisfy with a petition,
vast majority isn't active on the FPC.
They need to find a way to involve way more players if they decide to do one.

...the tons of mind essence and pills buff lost..

Kaiser, feel free to watch whatever threads you want and ignore the ones you don't like. I talk wherever I want. If those threads didn't accomplish anything, maybe it's required a different approach, one we're currently trying. You don't have to participate. If you say they ignore the situation, they will ignore this one too you try it as well. I have more faith that the community can do good things with constructive feedback.

I like the traction this is getting but I don't like petitions and strikes. I do like reason and logical explanations.
I'm going to repeat myself a little but will also add to the idea. I think it's the loot function that causes too much stress to the server, trying to interrogate the database to check for decay or something, when calculating the loot the mob you're shooting will give you.
I think most mobs give some sort of default loot but at some intervals more variables are added to a formula, stuff like efficiency, looter, decay, cycle, loss... etc
Right after loot 2.0 we had this lag at every loot event. Now they moved it to happen a little sooner in the mob's health and put the event to happen every X mobs or Y amount of PED cycled and me, having high cycles or DPS I get to see it more often but from what you guys say it's just as often everywhere. I'm 90%+ sure it's caused by the loot calculation function/db interrogation for loot/shrapnel bonus w/e
- it always happens during a fight
- it always happens just a few seconds before the mob dies
- I notice it more often when multiple mobs on me

Thanks for the posts, keep the coming

Kaiser, I might be wrong but it seems clear that you are not very familiar with software engineering. For a dev, whatever was there before last VU, becomes automatically irrelevant. Imagine for a moment that we were still running the same thread from say 2017. Do you really believe the devs, or anybody else at MA would still be taking notice of posts on page 221?
The answer would be a resounding no. Right? Wrong? I am not here to tell, but from a practical point of view the reasons for lag could well change over time.
More importantly, we are all on the same boat and it feels a bit puzzling to put so much energy into arguing about where and how to highlight a systemic issue. Top of the forum, that's where it should be and surely you'll agree that whatever achieves that is doing all of us a favour.

I am a product manager. Managing this type of thing is what I do for a living and get paid very well to do it. Funny that you think a discussion forum is not the place to have a discussion LOL.

Kaiser, feel free to watch whatever threads you want and ignore the ones you don't like. I talk wherever I want. If those threads didn't accomplish anything, maybe it's required a different approach, one we're currently trying. You don't have to participate. If you say they ignore the situation, they will ignore this one too you try it as well. I have more faith that the community can do good things with constructive feedback.

In 6 months, it is still going to be broken. I'll bet money on it. if on February first lag is fixed, find me in game and I'll give you 100 PED. I get paid sick amounts of money IRL to deal with this kind of thing. I deal with companies similar to MA quite often and and can spot very quickly when something is going to linger.

The vast majority of players here do share your cynicism, and I am with you on that. You can't take a negative view if others try, maybe naively, to do something about it and elicit some action from MA, though. That's all.

In 6 months, it is still going to be broken. I'll bet money on it. if on February first lag is fixed, find me in game and I'll give you 100 PED. I get paid sick amounts of money IRL to deal with this kind of thing. I deal with companies similar to MA quite often and and can spot very quickly when something is going to linger.

You're probably right. There's a small chance however, and to me it's worth trying.

Last edited:
Back