Legal Position on the Death of a Society Member - Open discussion as rules vary in different countries

moondog

Stalker
Society
Stockholm Syndrome
Charley Moondog 1969
I do not really want to bring this up, as it is a sombre subject, unfortunately it has become relevant

Teenagers do not play this game, I know, I have had two teenagers (now grown up), and they think it is the worst game ever.

The game is popular,

The Demographic requires two things

1. Disposable Time
2. Disposable Income

A - Young and bored and with no access to #2 - MA provides no instant gratification, so the youngster leave

B - Youngish (say 27-32 to be specific) and pre children and a bit OCD on the RCE, access to #1 and #2 - but you might start a family

C - Older post children and access to #1 and #2 and a nice PC and a comfy chair

The Demographic for the game is post children with disposable income.

I am a member of a very active society. I am also a member of the C demographic - check our stats - we are currently the 15th ranked society in the game - we were ranked as high as 8, and this is my point.

Since January of 2021, three of our active society members have passed away,

What is the legal position of these accounts, here are a few questions,

1. If the family have no understandiing of the game or access to the account, are they entitiled to the proceeds of the liquidated account, if they can prove the account is genuiine with documenation.
2. If point 1 is correct, are they entitled to the TT value of the account, or are they entitled to have a third party with knowledge of the game liquidate the account on their behalf to realise its best value on behalf of the deceased avatars estate.
3. If there are no real life persons looking to liquidate a deceased avatars account, what happens to the account ?

I would also like to add, the players that passed away were not old in todays standards

There's an older gentleman in our soc that I know was in poor health, haven't heard from him in months. Concerned he might be gone.

But yes, this is a real issue that needs to have a real answer. Since we're talking about real money.

Im not considered old(depending on definition), but just to be on the safe side, I gave all my info to my wife. She has access to everything, and I also told her who to contact in game that I trust would not cheat her out of my items. Basically everything from my side is arranged in such a case.

If others dont do this, it probably means they dont consider their accounts significant in value.

It would be nice if we could add beneficiaries to our accounts. In the USA you can name people to inherit your banking accounts and stock trading accounts and it greatly simplifies the transfer process.

Last edited:
Not sure how its working legally, i'm not dying but i have shitty health conditions, so i did put a member of my family that know well the game in my testament / will, if anything happen to me. MA should tell us what to do in this case, what if you want to give your shit to your best buddy in game for exemple ?

I'm sure this is already a consideration. Somewhere I read in the EULA instructions to assign a beneficiary to your account upon your death. Can't seem to find the link though.

I gave my info to Mrs. Bones

So if you see me online and pm me and I don't answer , it might be her picking at my bones.

This is from support site:

What happens with my account in case of my death?

In the case of a death, an inventory must be drawn up of the deceased's assets. Since your limited license right to use an Entropia Universe account, subject to the terms and conditions of the EULA and ToU, you might want such access rights to the account to be part of your estate inventory.
The heirs can then decide whether they want to continue using the account or if they wish to cancel it. In both cases, a verified copy of the estate inventory must be sent to us along with a verified copy of an identification document of the person representing the estate. Pursuant to Terms of Use 3.1§, the account information, i.e. user name and contact information, will then be changed accordingly giving the representative of the estate full access to use the Entropia Universe account and the virtual items connected to it. Note that Terms of Use 2.1§ still apply prohibiting the use of multiple accounts.

As above there is provision in the game for it to be a part of your estate. However if you fear your next of kin might TT your expensive gear, id recommended asking a trusted player friend to help your next of kin navigate the sales process and values in the event of your death.

We have helped in this regard before, its both heart breaking to find out the news, but also nice to be able to help with your friends final wishes.

ToU are pretty clear the representative of the estate may access the account, i.e. liquidate it.

This is from support site:

What happens with my account in case of my death?

In the case of a death, an inventory must be drawn up of the deceased's assets. Since your limited license right to use an Entropia Universe account, subject to the terms and conditions of the EULA and ToU, you might want such access rights to the account to be part of your estate inventory.
The heirs can then decide whether they want to continue using the account or if they wish to cancel it. In both cases, a verified copy of the estate inventory must be sent to us along with a verified copy of an identification document of the person representing the estate. Pursuant to Terms of Use 3.1§, the account information, i.e. user name and contact information, will then be changed accordingly giving the representative of the estate full access to use the Entropia Universe account and the virtual items connected to it. Note that Terms of Use 2.1§ still apply prohibiting the use of multiple accounts.

As above there is provision in the game for it to be a part of your estate.

Could someone please clarify this? e.g. what they mean by estate or estate inventory? Are we talking about setting up a will where you specify your EU account as part of the will?

Ok thanks for all the above and to joat for reference from the support site - be safe all :)

Could someone please clarify this? e.g. what they mean by estate or estate inventory? Are we talking about setting up a will where you specify your EU account as part of the will?
I think they mean death certificate

I think they mean death certificate
Death certificate isn't really related to a will or estate, that's basically just verification someone died.

An estate, or inventory of it, is basically just documentation of what the person owned and who the beneficiary is. If your estate ends up in probate because you didn't have a will, something like that will still need to be drafted up, but if no one knows about your EU account, then no one would know to list it. It's not like unknown bank accounts that can be easily searched for.

First of all i am not joining Stockholm Syndrome soc anytime soon. :p

But yeah seriously i have written details about my account and i have number of avatars (on FL) for my daughters to contact when i die.

Back