Question: Longblade skilling up to 20ish?

LunaMoon

Provider
Lunareth Luna Moon
Hello,

I need some help figuring out what longblades to go for when skilling. My skills are very low atm, have something like 4 in hit and 8 in dmg I believe, so it has fallen well behind my "main" skill in laser weapon usage.

I basically do my hunting rounds by how long amps last. So when my second a104 amp breaks my hunting is over. I like to finish of whatever remaining mobs with a melee weapon then.

So since I have fallen behind so much on my melee skills I thought I'd go on a "vacation" to arkadia and do some low lvl mission working up my longblade skill and maybe some medic skills too hunting without armor.

I have seen the sib chart provided above and it was useful, but any other suggestions you may have?

My goal is to try and reach 20ish in both hit and dmg, since that seems to be the level where you can use swords with around 30+dps which is what I probably need to kill the mobs I'll hunt in the near future.

Any tips are welcome, i.e. should I perhaps go for shortblades instead? I picked swords since there seems to be more choices at lower lvls.

Keep in mind, I am not going for melee weapons as a main weapon but a backup for the end of a hunt.

Kind regards

Luna

I have been doing this for the last five months. I got 4 x Falx and hunted small stuff on Ark - like Osetlok with these until I had SIB on Kulohar Glacier Sword. When I reached SIB on this I bought the Gold Starter pack which gives you some skill pills. I then went out for a couple of months hunting only Small Tiarak on ARK using 1 skill pill on each run There is a reasonable MU on the hides and my secondary target at the time was to gather enough hides to texture an elder coat. When this was done the Kulohar was maxed and I went back to Caly where I grinded Argo's until I was nearly maxed on the Lokabuh Electrifier Sword. I then switched to the Lokabuh and used that for a couple of months. Last week I sold the Lokabuh and bought the Ozpyn RLB S1X1 and put a Melee Trauma Amp I on it. All of this took about 5 months but I did about 80% of my hunting with longblades during this time.

The RLB S1X1 with Trauma I is good enough to do most cat 1 and cat 2 daily missions and even the cat 3 if you get a mob like Atrox. I plan to keep skilling longblades until migration by which time I hope to at least be in SIB on Dehera Immolation Sword. I am hoping that this with Trauma II or III will be good enough for low maturity LT's

Advantages : HP goes up incredibly quickly when you use the Kulohar and continues to progress better than with ranged weapons, carried weight also goes up. Cost of UL SIB longblades is much cheaper than ranged weapons of equivalent DPS

Disadvantages : Higher Decay as it takes generally longer to kill a mob then with ranged weapons (Lvl 46 laser pistol ATM) Mobs like Harbinger are not appropriate to hunt with longblades as you really need to take away half their damage before they reach you

Good Luck with you Long Blade skilling

I have been doing this for the last five months. I got 4 x Falx and hunted small stuff on Ark - like Osetlok with these until I had SIB on Kulohar Glacier Sword. When I reached SIB on this I bought the Gold Starter pack which gives you some skill pills. I then went out for a couple of months hunting only Small Tiarak on ARK using 1 skill pill on each run There is a reasonable MU on the hides and my secondary target at the time was to gather enough hides to texture an elder coat. When this was done the Kulohar was maxed and I went back to Caly where I grinded Argo's until I was nearly maxed on the Lokabuh Electrifier Sword. I then switched to the Lokabuh and used that for a couple of months. Last week I sold the Lokabuh and bought the Ozpyn RLB S1X1 and put a Melee Trauma Amp I on it. All of this took about 5 months but I did about 80% of my hunting with longblades during this time.

The RLB S1X1 with Trauma I is good enough to do most cat 1 and cat 2 daily missions and even the cat 3 if you get a mob like Atrox. I plan to keep skilling longblades until migration by which time I hope to at least be in SIB on Dehera Immolation Sword. I am hoping that this with Trauma II or III will be good enough for low maturity LT's

Advantages : HP goes up incredibly quickly when you use the Kulohar and continues to progress better than with ranged weapons, carried weight also goes up. Cost of UL SIB longblades is much cheaper than ranged weapons of equivalent DPS

Disadvantages : Higher Decay as it takes generally longer to kill a mob then with ranged weapons (Lvl 46 laser pistol ATM) Mobs like Harbinger are not appropriate to hunt with longblades as you really need to take away half their damage before they reach you

Good Luck with you Long Blade skilling

Thanks for sharing, this was very helpful.

I was also having this dilemma, what to use to skill longblades.

Moondog is right with Falx, but I personally would go for Labrys as it is just a little better on the eco side and slightly better on damage side as well. Price I think is same for both options. Decision is yours.

Some figures from Weapon Compare:

Falx Dmg/Pec 2.856 Dmg/Sec 7.09
Labrys Dmg/Pec 2.862 Dmg/Sec 7.14

I really don't like there are no other intermediate UL options until you are able to use the swords described by Moondog when you reach higher skill levels.

I was also having this dilemma, what to use to skill longblades.

Moondog is right with Falx, but I personally would go for Labrys as it is just a little better on the eco side and slightly better on damage side as well. Price I think is same for both options. Decision is yours.

Some figures from Weapon Compare:

Falx Dmg/Pec 2.856 Dmg/Sec 7.09
Labrys Dmg/Pec 2.862 Dmg/Sec 7.14

I really don't like there are no other intermediate UL options until you are able to use the swords described by Moondog when you reach higher skill levels.

Thanks for sharing, I got a good picture of what my options are now.

Once you hit level 11.5, you've maxed the Embra Laser Sword C1. On it's own, it's just average, but because it's somewhat slow, it's able to fit a melee trauma amp VI on it, giving it (around) 22-23 dps for eco above 2.9 damage/pec. (Exact numbers are on entropedia).

I've got the sword if you're curious, not the amp though. The amps are pricey, so it requires some investment, but it's a huge dps boost and makes skilling less tedious, and you can always turn around and sell it for what you paid when you're done with it.

Good luck!

Once you hit level 11.5, you've maxed the Embra Laser Sword C1. On it's own, it's just average, but because it's somewhat slow, it's able to fit a melee trauma amp VI on it, giving it (around) 22-23 dps for eco above 2.9 damage/pec. (Exact numbers are on entropedia).

I've got the sword if you're curious, not the amp though. The amps are pricey, so it requires some investment, but it's a huge dps boost and makes skilling less tedious, and you can always turn around and sell it for what you paid when you're done with it.

Good luck!

Thanks for your response.

I'll most likely get an melee amp, but not sure how high tier one I'll get since it seems like a waste to lock too much peds to an amp if I am only using melee as backup weapon.

Hey luna...

The way I skilled longblades up to the first real usabable blade was through mission rewards.

Your current setup is good enough with you weapon and your makhetta armor to do drone mission and harbinger missions which have"any skill" rewards. Keep choosing longblades.

I went from basiclly little longblades skill to having 6000 and maxing my immoltion in just a few months this way. After a few mission using your laser rifle you can switch to an amped glacier... then electrifier.

Best of luck... we can talk more in soc chat.

JEHU

Good Points from JEHU there is more than one way to skin a cat :)

On the point of the Labrys / Falx - any UL TT longblade from Ancient Greece will do the job, it just so happened that I liked the look of the falx and had 4 already in storage when I started skilling longblades. I agree that the larger Trauma amps are pricey which is why I am holding off getting a larger one until i can use the immolation sword. The trauma 1 is a nice although small addition to the DPS and it seems to last a lot longer between repairs than the ranged weapon amplifiers.

I love the whole long blade thing as it gives you the option for some reasonable DPS on a UL SIB weapon.

Be careful you may get addicted

You can reference this for recent thoughts on melee finishers/skilling.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...71612-Affordable-newb-sword-besides-TT-option

Note my comment in that thread about using shortblade as finisher. You want a high attack rate with low dmg per shot for a finisher. This avoids excessive overkill, and if you miss you swing again quick.

For overall skilling I used tt weapons until I could work my way up the Ancient Greece SIB latter. I prefer the falx as well. Since you probably don't want to deal with purchase each one as you move up due to the recent removal.

After that, I grabbed the Adj Embra laser and have it paired with the melee trauma VI. I think this is the best option aside from the Improved version. Although it is a bit costly to fit a bigger amp, the dps and dpp for low lvl skilling is a lot of fun.

hmm...aren't short-blades more suitable for finishing ? faster cooldown , lesser overkill ?
also i thought its cheaper atm to buy a 30-40 dps setup in shortblades as in long .

hmm...aren't short-blades more suitable for finishing ? faster cooldown , lesser overkill ?
also i thought its cheaper atm to buy a 30-40 dps setup in shortblades as in long .

Well I don't know, that's why I ask. Shortblades might be the better choices as the two of you mention.

club is de besssst! (obviously I'm biased, but srsly.. club is the shit)

It's all a matter of choice - I agree as a finisher the short blades are probably better, but I literally use the long blade as my main weapon as much as possible and just finish with a falx If I am a bit low on DPS for a particular mob, I just throw in a few arson chip II attacks as well (also good for pulling)

Main thing is have fun with it no matter what you choose and there is no right or wrong way to do it.

Excellent advise. Working on this very thing. Just doing punies for the bones, but my skill levels useing the Greece swords is rising very fast. Almost level 18 and still loads of green lines. :beerchug:

Back