MA Security - the future

gwit

Prowler
Katielicious mallow (Kat)
Unlike other games MA has been very good about security. very few if any cheats or exploits and those that are found tend to get closed down very quickly.

This is of fundamental importance in an rce because cheats and exploits have the potential to lead to instability.

I wonder how this will work in the future with all these other developers sharing the platform. Intrigued to see how much information MA gives over to them and their design teams.

On a slightly different point, should developers be banned from playing?

Unlike other games MA has been very good about security. very few if any cheats or exploits and those that are found tend to get closed down very quickly.

ok so here u are really kidding, storage duplicator? box skills? just to talk about some. The exploits were a cult in the first years of project universe. Some people made a lot of money with them. The same people that now are .....investors of EU. Take a look in the forum.

This is of fundamental importance in an rce because cheats and exploits have the potential to lead to instability.

I wonder how this will work in the future with all these other developers sharing the platform. Intrigued to see how much information MA gives over to them and their design teams.

I would assume that the only things that others will do is create the environment and surely not the looting rules or skill gains.
Those have to be coded into the server and i highly doubt MA will let anyone not working for them get their hands on those.

There is always going to be potential for abuse and exploits in EU.

Hopefully MA has taken precautions for such things to happen with the planet partners and other development teams. If not it could undermine the participant "confidence" in the system and they will all lose out. So hopefully the outside developers and MA are smart enough not to cut off their own feet.

I don't think developers should be banned from playing since I think they need to participate in the environments they create from a participant perspective. I do however think anything they gain via this participation should be recycled back into the loot system and this should all be transparent to the actual users. Again this could undermine they system and participant confidence if people think that certain avatars are set up to get the big loots or nice items only to fleece the actual players.

I also think they need to be very aware that "loose lips sink ships" and telling a friend or friends so called "inside information" can do a lot to erode participant confidence.

I guess this is just something you have to put your trust into MA about. I trust them to do the right thing and strike partnerships that make EU a better place. Even though I have that trust I still keep a close eye on certain events and actions I think that is just being a smart customer.

Nooo! developers should play to get the handle of the dynamics and the people playing. Its a hands on thing and quite logical:)

I think it's safe to say we all want the developers to play so they can experience for themselves the various bugs and usability issues. I think we all know that MindArk employees play the game, but I assume they don't get to keep what they earn while playing. It just wouldn't be right if they or any other developer were to personally profit from their play using inside information. I believe that is the real nature of your question.

I'm sure some things MA will not divulge, but it only seems logical that if a different planet is going to have different mobs, armor, weapons, crafting components, etc., that the developers of that planet would need to know things like drop ratio/frequency loot rules in order to balance their planet between hunting, mining, crafting, etc.

Also, I'm sure the developers will need to know what the long term returns are on various aspects of the game to ensure they will have a shot at running a profitable business. Does that insider look into long term returns on various activites give developers an unfair advantage as to what activities to focus on that give the best long term returns?

So, I think it's a valid question. Personally, I feel that if any developer is allowed to play for personal gain, then the information they are privy to should be available to everyone else.

True enough, I wonder if there is a clause in the EULA that protects us from developers earning from their own game by playing as a player, seems like an unfair advantage to me

Would like to take this a stage further - one of our own is a great gamer - still plays and loots for his personal benefit yet his company is developing a planet. I have the utmost respect for his integrity but I have to ask, does this give him an unfair advantage.

Even planet owners must have an advantage, because MA would disclose to them how the profits should work - this must equate to expected returns per player.

...one of our own is a great gamer - still plays and loots for his personal benefit yet his company is developing a planet. I have the utmost respect for his integrity but I have to ask, does this give him an unfair advantage.

no. because once you make that step up to involvment in a partner project, you are investing so much time in the project that you dont play so much, and making more money from the planet project that a couple of hours hunting is going to be just for fun. The system (should, i hope) be designed so that even if you know how it works it only gives a marginal improvment in return.

as for devs in game, its been covered by Marco/David telling us company people have avatars ingame but arnt allowed to withdraw and other restrictions. the idea of banning devs so they cant test things in live and get a feel for the game trhough the players eyes is outright stupid and would be detrimental to all of us.

I assume they will not be playing on their own worlds, but what about people from company X playing in ENtropia, or MA employees playing in someone else's world.
There does appear to be scope for conflict of interest.

i think nobody must be banned cause of cheating. A lot of people did it in the past and are still in game, so why not ban the old ones and ban the new ones? ah right also this is dynamic i guess

Back