Suggestion: Make showing avatar names mandatory on PCF

Actually, this could in fact be a violation.
In the country where I live it probably would be. On multiple grounds even, I might add.
Sry, you seem quite unawares.

:dunno:
Ask TenCent and Blizzard Activision Microsoft how they feel about this statement.

We have yet to hear from anyone actually hiding their avatar names... very curious...

what's your reason?

How would you know, ensure, and enforce that ppl use their true avatar names...?
Probably would be against European privacy regulations, anyway.
:dunno:
You have no posting rights until you click an authorization link in your forum settings that takes you to your entropia account page then press the "confirm" button there - simple, since both sites belong to MA, their janitor will manage it after browsing Stackoverflow for 30 min.

I doubt it would break any regulation since every online game that I played have their forum accounts tied to the game account.

They should also bring back karma
Nah, it was just one giant circle jerk that didn't really add any value (and that comes from a top10 wanker :))

The real irony here is that some people in this forum that originally joined using a name other than forum name, have asked to change it to match here on forum and been refused, because MA say it could give a lack of transparency. Seems they never thought that 1 extra line sorts that easy.
Forum Name
Previously known as
Or simply make it show any former name in the profile page

It's annoying when people hide their avatar names.

More transparancy is better for everyone involved.

Thoughts?
I wonder if this is directed at the avatar on PCF yesterday who was trying to get a bite out of anyone that would respond to him. When players I don't recognise start spouting crap on PCF, I usually go to EL to check their stats. This gives an idea of how long they have been playing and thusly whether their comments are valid.

I agree, PCF names should show in game avatar names

I wonder if this is directed at the avatar on PCF yesterday who was trying to get a bite out of anyone that would respond to him. When players I don't recognise start spouting crap on PCF, I usually go to EL to check their stats. This gives an idea of how long they have been playing and thusly whether their comments are valid.

I agree, PCF names should show in game avatar names
for the sake of transparency it was aimed at a reseller complaining about high UL prices when that reseller himself is a prime example of why prices keep rising

but its aimed at everyone... being anonymous in a real cash economy is just super shady

edit: before anyone gets pissy, its shady in my opinion and mine only im not speaking for anyone else but me

Alts who “buy” items from themselves to raise prices

Alts who all agree with something universally wrong with the game to sway public opinion

Alts to attack people to try and quiet their voice

People who no longer play spouting false information on purpose.

All the spam accounts that makes forum moderator job more difficult.

There I listed reasons for this being a good thing. CAN ANYONE list a reason that this is not a good idea?

Alts who “buy” items from themselves to raise prices

Alts who all agree with something universally wrong with the game to sway public opinion

Alts to attack people to try and quiet their voice

People who no longer play spouting false information on purpose.

All the spam accounts that makes forum moderator job more difficult.

There I listed reasons for this being a good thing. CAN ANYONE list a reason that this is not a good idea?
Sure, since you've mentioned five reasons, I'll limit myself to the first five that come to mind.

1) Some Entropians may wish to keep their in-world and forum PMs separate. For example, a healer with a satisfactory number of clients may forego advertising on forums, and wish to channel all healing requests through in-world PMs so they can respond to them without tracking their inboxes on each planet's forum. In general, keeping identity aggregation optional allows individuals to retain more flexibility to tailor their communications to their own unique situations.

2) Certain classes of Entropians, such as pirates and resellers, tend to be the targets of (sometimes-)unprompted personal attacks and claims which, at least in the cases I've observed, immediately fall apart under mild scrutiny (often merely restating a claim stripped of its emotive conjugation and asking why we should believe it is enough). As shallow as these attacks often are, they do still take time to diffuse, and are fairly frequent, and I would not blame an individual for wanting to delimit their identity so they can focus on civil, substantive discourse on forums, and only deal with the drama and ad hominem attacks in-world. Keeping identity aggregation optional affords Entropians this flexibility.

3) There have been cases of real-world threats in Entropia between feuding PVP societies. The more aggregated online identities become, the more credible such threats will be. Knowing that someone lives near Taco Bell is not personally identifying. Knowing that someone lives in Utah is not personally identifying. Knowing that someone lives in the third story of an apartment building is not personally identifying. Knowing that someone lives near a state boarder is not personally identifying. But put these facts together, and I bet we could pinpoint someone's residence to an alarmingly narrow set of possibilities (I just made all of these up and have no idea if they're actually consistent). Keeping identity aggregation optional affords individuals who have concerns about doxxing or real-world threats an extra layer of obfuscation.

4) In general, a strong baseline inclination toward anonymity and identity disaggregation is a powerful defense against rare social catastrophes. PCF Rule 3.6 will forbid concrete examples, so I'll just note that many historians believe some of the most catastrophic events in modern history could not have occurred without the harvesting of personally identifying census data.

5) In general, the causal relations between anonymity and its benefits are more abstract than the causal relations between anonymity and its costs. When a soda gets stolen from the school refrigerator, the potential benefits of a security camera are immediately apparent. When a teacher encourages (and genuinely wants) her students to ask all of their questions, but students, especially the most confused ones, are incentivized to filter the number and character of their questions due to the game theoretic implications on future grading of their signaling too much of their confusion to the teacher, the educational costs of not having an anonymous medium for questions are far less visible.

An implication of the conjunction of 4) and 5) is that anonymity is a crucial tool, perhaps the only real tool we have, to guard against the formation of negative black swan events. Black swans are nearly impossible to predict, emerging out of the unknown unknowns of human knowledge, and have paradigm-shifting impact on the course of historical development. Obviously, the proposal under consideration is just one tiny puzzle piece in the overall trend toward mandatory identification and identity aggregation on the Internet. The problem is that this is a Sorites Paradox; just as one cannot discern which grain of sand's removal would annihilate the pile, one cannot discern which anonymity-sacrificing proposal would cross the line into a state of unacceptably high propensity for catastrophic black swans. Trying to amortize the expected costs of all such possible black swans over all possible sets of anonymity-sacrificing proposals is pretty clearly a non-starter. Linear cause-effect thinking at the event level strongly biases cost-benefit analyses against anonymity, and we should incorporate systems thinking into our toolbox to take cognizance of vitally important, but rarer and less apparent forms of impact. If we fail to do so, then we fall victim to the streetlight effect, searching for answers only where the causal chain links are well-illuminated. "The first step is to measure whatever can be easily measured. The second step is to disregard that which can't easily be measured or given a quantitative value. The third step is to presume that what can't be measured easily really isn't important. The fourth step is to say that what can't be easily measured really doesn't exist. This is suicide." It may be that even if we don't take online privacy to be an inalienable right, treating it functionally as such, or at least giving it very heavy weight as a baseline for evaluating the cost-benefit analyses of individual anonymity-sacrificing proposals, is the only reasonable heuristic to prevent catastrophic events which are too rare and/or too causally opaque to effectively analyze without taking special precautions.

As for the five reasons given in favor of the proposal under consideration, I would classify at least three as largely sunk costs, and the other two as likely net negatively affected by the proposal.

It is probably not wise to try to derive much information about the value of an item from just a few forum sales, even if they're legitimate, and it is difficult to post more than a few illegitimate forum sales for a single item without detection. Folks should initially focus on an item's fundamentals to estimate its value, and incorporate the technicals after it has enough known price points that the law of large numbers has a chance to aggregate out the subjective factors of price (seller needs the money to go on vacation, etc.). The "when an item transacts once that's its value" mentality is pragmatically bankrupt almost independent of the transaction's legitimacy.

Similarly, I'd grade a notion of "public opinion" based in anything other than the merits of the collective cost-benefit analyses produced by public discourse as worse than useless. Every forum poll is grounded in convenience sampling, which as a form of nonprobability sampling, cannot be statistically generalized, and the framing is often loaded in such a way that misses the most important question and/or excludes the best answer. Trying to take a temperature of sentiment by counting posts strongly biases conclusions toward simplistic opinions that are easy to express rather than opinions that take time and effort to flesh out and align effectively with the broader vision of Entropia. A naïve democratic notion of "public opinion" may be of limited use at any rate. Game design proposals should stand or fall on the merits of their reasons; popularity isn't a good first principle.

Anyone attacking forum members to the extent of violating forum rules would already be liable to moderation, a line I expect would come before chilling effects on speech. You may be alluding to the personal attacks against pirates and resellers mentioned above, which have occasionally caused unwarranted harm before being deleted, but these have typically been launched by forum members who don't appear to be alts, and forced identity aggregation would presumably have a net negative impact for preventing these attacks.

I don't know that there's an intrinsic problem with ex-players being forum members. As for the general issue of false information, this comes back to evaluating claims on the merits of their reasons, not merely on the fact that someone said a thing. This bar seems like a wholly sunk cost for anyone who uses the Internet. "If it's on the Internet, then it must be true" is a meme, not a dream.

The spam accounts seem to have subsided lately, and I can't imagine any saved time would negate the overhead of verifying in-world accounts. In any case, community moderation is almost free. I actually find it quite odd (and possibly bad optics) that we haven't recruited any new player moderators since the others have become inactive, and have gradually started to see more active moderation from developers.

A lot of these concerns are newer issues that weren't really prevalent, i.e., ten years ago. Obviously some alts are to be expected, since folks will always find incentives to create them, but the undue emphasis on tiny price histories, polls as a serious means of data collection, public opinion as a first principle, drama of interpersonal attacks, unsubstantiated claims, and a general myopic atmosphere of uncritically accepting the intuitive, "two inches in front of one's nose" narrative are to a large extent, I think, sociological reverberations of our modern de facto game design trajectory, ultimately stemming from, among other obstacles, a severe misalignment between Entropia's fundamental value proposition and the incentive structures imposed on planet partners by an Entropia Platform model in vital need of reform, not characteristics of the fundamental nature of the Entropian or the Entropia community.

Sure, since you've mentioned five reasons, I'll limit myself to the first five that come to mind.

1) Some Entropians may wish to keep their in-world and forum PMs separate. For example, a healer with a satisfactory number of clients may forego advertising on forums, and wish to channel all healing requests through in-world PMs so they can respond to them without tracking their inboxes on each planet's forum. In general, keeping identity aggregation optional allows individuals to retain more flexibility to tailor their communications to their own unique situations.

2) Certain classes of Entropians, such as pirates and resellers, tend to be the targets of (sometimes-)unprompted personal attacks and claims which, at least in the cases I've observed, immediately fall apart under mild scrutiny (often merely restating a claim stripped of its emotive conjugation and asking why we should believe it is enough). As shallow as these attacks often are, they do still take time to diffuse, and are fairly frequent, and I would not blame an individual for wanting to delimit their identity so they can focus on civil, substantive discourse on forums, and only deal with the drama and ad hominem attacks in-world. Keeping identity aggregation optional affords Entropians this flexibility.

3) There have been cases of real-world threats in Entropia between feuding PVP societies. The more aggregated online identities become, the more credible such threats will be. Knowing that someone lives near Taco Bell is not personally identifying. Knowing that someone lives in Utah is not personally identifying. Knowing that someone lives in the third story of an apartment building is not personally identifying. Knowing that someone lives near a state boarder is not personally identifying. But put these facts together, and I bet we could pinpoint someone's residence to an alarmingly narrow set of possibilities (I just made all of these up and have no idea if they're actually consistent). Keeping identity aggregation optional affords individuals who have concerns about doxxing or real-world threats an extra layer of obfuscation.

4) In general, a strong baseline inclination toward anonymity and identity disaggregation is a powerful defense against rare social catastrophes. PCF Rule 3.6 will forbid concrete examples, so I'll just note that many historians believe some of the most catastrophic events in modern history could not have occurred without the harvesting of personally identifying census data.

5) In general, the causal relations between anonymity and its benefits are more abstract than the causal relations between anonymity and its costs. When a soda gets stolen from the school refrigerator, the potential benefits of a security camera are immediately apparent. When a teacher encourages (and genuinely wants) her students to ask all of their questions, but students, especially the most confused ones, are incentivized to filter the number and character of their questions due to the game theoretic implications on future grading of their signaling too much of their confusion to the teacher, the educational costs of not having an anonymous medium for questions are far less visible.

An implication of the conjunction of 4) and 5) is that anonymity is a crucial tool, perhaps the only real tool we have, to guard against the formation of negative black swan events. Black swans are nearly impossible to predict, emerging out of the unknown unknowns of human knowledge, and have paradigm-shifting impact on the course of historical development. Obviously, the proposal under consideration is just one tiny puzzle piece in the overall trend toward mandatory identification and identity aggregation on the Internet. The problem is that this is a Sorites Paradox; just as one cannot discern which grain of sand's removal would annihilate the pile, one cannot discern which anonymity-sacrificing proposal would cross the line into a state of unacceptably high propensity for catastrophic black swans. Trying to amortize the expected costs of all such possible black swans over all possible sets of anonymity-sacrificing proposals is pretty clearly a non-starter. Linear cause-effect thinking at the event level strongly biases cost-benefit analyses against anonymity, and we should incorporate systems thinking into our toolbox to take cognizance of vitally important, but rarer and less apparent forms of impact. If we fail to do so, then we fall victim to the streetlight effect, searching for answers only where the causal chain links are well-illuminated. "The first step is to measure whatever can be easily measured. The second step is to disregard that which can't easily be measured or given a quantitative value. The third step is to presume that what can't be measured easily really isn't important. The fourth step is to say that what can't be easily measured really doesn't exist. This is suicide." It may be that even if we don't take online privacy to be an inalienable right, treating it functionally as such, or at least giving it very heavy weight as a baseline for evaluating the cost-benefit analyses of individual anonymity-sacrificing proposals, is the only reasonable heuristic to prevent catastrophic events which are too rare and/or too causally opaque to effectively analyze without taking special precautions.

As for the five reasons given in favor of the proposal under consideration, I would classify at least three as largely sunk costs, and the other two as likely net negatively affected by the proposal.

It is probably not wise to try to derive much information about the value of an item from just a few forum sales, even if they're legitimate, and it is difficult to post more than a few illegitimate forum sales for a single item without detection. Folks should initially focus on an item's fundamentals to estimate its value, and incorporate the technicals after it has enough known price points that the law of large numbers has a chance to aggregate out the subjective factors of price (seller needs the money to go on vacation, etc.). The "when an item transacts once that's its value" mentality is pragmatically bankrupt almost independent of the transaction's legitimacy.

Similarly, I'd grade a notion of "public opinion" based in anything other than the merits of the collective cost-benefit analyses produced by public discourse as worse than useless. Every forum poll is grounded in convenience sampling, which as a form of nonprobability sampling, cannot be statistically generalized, and the framing is often loaded in such a way that misses the most important question and/or excludes the best answer. Trying to take a temperature of sentiment by counting posts strongly biases conclusions toward simplistic opinions that are easy to express rather than opinions that take time and effort to flesh out and align effectively with the broader vision of Entropia. A naïve democratic notion of "public opinion" may be of limited use at any rate. Game design proposals should stand or fall on the merits of their reasons; popularity isn't a good first principle.

Anyone attacking forum members to the extent of violating forum rules would already be liable to moderation, a line I expect would come before chilling effects on speech. You may be alluding to the personal attacks against pirates and resellers mentioned above, which have occasionally caused unwarranted harm before being deleted, but these have typically been launched by forum members who don't appear to be alts, and forced identity aggregation would presumably have a net negative impact for preventing these attacks.

I don't know that there's an intrinsic problem with ex-players being forum members. As for the general issue of false information, this comes back to evaluating claims on the merits of their reasons, not merely on the fact that someone said a thing. This bar seems like a wholly sunk cost for anyone who uses the Internet. "If it's on the Internet, then it must be true" is a meme, not a dream.

The spam accounts seem to have subsided lately, and I can't imagine any saved time would negate the overhead of verifying in-world accounts. In any case, community moderation is almost free. I actually find it quite odd (and possibly bad optics) that we haven't recruited any new player moderators since the others have become inactive, and have gradually started to see more active moderation from developers.

A lot of these concerns are newer issues that weren't really prevalent, i.e., ten years ago. Obviously some alts are to be expected, since folks will always find incentives to create them, but the undue emphasis on tiny price histories, polls as a serious means of data collection, public opinion as a first principle, drama of interpersonal attacks, unsubstantiated claims, and a general myopic atmosphere of uncritically accepting the intuitive, "two inches in front of one's nose" narrative are to a large extent, I think, sociological reverberations of our modern de facto game design trajectory, ultimately stemming from, among other obstacles, a severe misalignment between Entropia's fundamental value proposition and the incentive structures imposed on planet partners by an Entropia Platform model in vital need of reform, not characteristics of the fundamental nature of the Entropian or the Entropia community.
while i disagree with pretty much everything, thanks for offering your point of view in such details. your passion shows, and that is admirable. that being said:

1) PMs on PCF and in-game are separated by default. just dont look on forums if you dont want to and vice-versa. showing your avatar name on PCF wont matter if you dont advertise on PCF

2) they deserve their reputation. actions have consequences. why shouldnt they suffer the consequences of their own actions? i dont buy it... pirates shouldn't have the ability to pretend their hands are clean and resellers shouldn't be able to complain about ul prices while jacking up the prices themselves

3) the examples you gave are all identifiable information. an in-game avatar name is not identifiable information. you cannot link an avatar name to real-world stuff to identify anyone, it really does not matter

4) many historians have not played entropia, you are just assuming something and i dont argue assumptions. anonymity sucks in entropia at least according to most people in this thread which are very real

5) the example you give does not matter. the game does not show your real life name but your avatar name. you are still 100% anonymous. i have no idea who Marie TheOne Omega is, nor do you have any idea who i am. i can ask the stupidest questions and you still wont have any idea of who i am. in your teacher vs student example, both know exactly who the other person is. you cannot compare the two

while i disagree with pretty much everything, thanks for offering your point of view in such details. your passion shows, and that is admirable. that being said:

1) PMs on PCF and in-game are separated by default. just dont look on forums if you dont want to and vice-versa. showing your avatar name on PCF wont matter if you dont advertise on PCF

2) they deserve their reputation. actions have consequences. why shouldnt they suffer the consequences of their own actions? i dont buy it... pirates shouldn't have the ability to pretend their hands are clean and resellers shouldn't be able to complain about ul prices while jacking up the prices themselves

3) the examples you gave are all identifiable information. an in-game avatar name is not identifiable information. you cannot link an avatar name to real-world stuff to identify anyone, it really does not matter

4) many historians have not played entropia, you are just assuming something and i dont argue assumptions. anonymity sucks in entropia at least according to most people in this thread which are very real

5) the example you give does not matter. the game does not show your real life name but your avatar name. you are still 100% anonymous. i have no idea who Marie TheOne Omega is, nor do you have any idea who i am. i can ask the stupidest questions and you still wont have any idea of who i am. in your teacher vs student example, both know exactly who the other person is. you cannot compare the two
Sure, I'll say a few more words about each to clarify.

1) Forum and in-world PMs are separated architecturally, but if you have a service, auction items, etc., players will PM you anywhere they can. Usually, it is beneficial for both parties that many communication channels are open, but some players may prefer not to keep an eye on 5+ forum inboxes, but may fear that your "just don't look" solution of ignoring forum PMs would be perceived as rude.

It is important to keep the goalpost in mind here, lest it shift. Your proposal is to take identity aggregation decisions away from the individuals most directly affected by them, on the basis that more transparency is better for everyone; there is no legitimate reason to choose any course of action inconsistent with maximum transparency (also because you find privacy annoying). We are not searching for a counterexample that applies to most players, or that has no acceptable workaround, or that mirrors the preferences you or I would express in a given set of circumstances, just a valid reason that a player might prefer at least some measure of anonymity to maximum transparency.

2) This may hinge on whether or not you believe there are good reasons to think pirating or reselling are immoral. I agree that at least the direct deterrent effects of negative reputation to prevent or reverse, i.e., item borrowing scams, are desirable. If the action in question is not actually illegal or immoral, however, then negative reputation effects may constitute an unwarranted intrusion into a player's action space. For example, suppose 70% of sweaters have low time preferences and wish to sell for 5 PED/K, even if sales are very slow, while the remaining 30% have high time preferences and wish to sell quickly, even if they can only get 2 PED/K. A change to Entropia which made all players' P2P transaction histories over the last month public would be bad in this context if it allowed the 70% to coerce the 30% to sell slowly, by assigning punishments to those who sweat at certain prices. We would not throw our hands up and say "actions have consequences," but correctly identify the intrusion into the 30%'s sphere of affordances as a tyranny of the majority. I have yet to find any good reasons to think pirating or reselling are immoral. Usually the discourse goes something like this.

It's hard to tell exactly what your beef is with resellers who also complain about high unlimited item prices, unless your actual belief is that resellers are evil regardless. I doubt you would bat an eyelash, for example, at folks complaining about high gasoline prices while also raising demand for gasoline by purchasing it. I guess I won't go down the vortex of questioning the assumption that the presence of resellers systemically raises prices (except Vibrant Sweat prices which they clearly systemically lower, since that's considered the "bad" direction).

3 and 5) Your fifth response seems aimed at my third reason, borrowing the example from my fifth reason. The "100% anonymous" concept you're describing is generally referred to as pseudonymity, not anonymity, in the cryptography literature. Transaction graph analysis provides an instructive, cautionary tale. Bitcoin transactions are pseudonymous, not anonymous (users' identities are not stored on chain, but all transactions are publicly stored as a reverse linked list, although some steps are being taken in the cryptocurrency space to move things toward a more genuine conception of anonymity). At one time, it was estimated that up to 40% of real-world identities of Bitcoin transactions could be reverse engineered by studying the structure of the transaction history and conjoining minor pieces of data obtained from sources external to the Bitcoin ecosystem. This number may have gone down since using a new Bitcoin Address for each transaction has become the standard, but it remains an important reminder that pseudonymity is not very robust. The point of my third reason is that the more aggregated online identities are, the more pieces of data malicious actors have to conjoin, and it doesn't take that many pieces to obtain startling results.

4) This reason is admittedly stated kind of opaquely because of forum rules. The point is that even if negative effects of discarding anonymity and aggregating identities are somewhat rare (at least, the subset of negative effects we can actually obverse and identify as causally relevant), they tend to include the most strongly negative effects an analysis needs to account for. In Entropia, an example might be MindArk someday deciding to take moderation action against everyone who expressed disagreement with the trajectory the game's development was taking. This attack would obviously have more chilling force if every player had to fear for the safety of their Entropia account based on their views expressed on the forums. The focus here is not to fear monger over this individual example, but to motivate folks to consider that many of the bad effects of forced de-anonymity are really bad. I'm not sure what "anonymity sucks in entropia at least according to most people in this thread" has to do with this. I'm not arguing that most players believe anonymity has positive effects. I'm arguing that anonymity has positive effects. This seems to be an argumentum ad populum.

Sure, I'll say a few more words about each to clarify.

1) Forum and in-world PMs are separated architecturally, but if you have a service, auction items, etc., players will PM you anywhere they can. Usually, it is beneficial for both parties that many communication channels are open, but some players may prefer not to keep an eye on 5+ forum inboxes, but may fear that your "just don't look" solution of ignoring forum PMs would be perceived as rude.

It is important to keep the goalpost in mind here, lest it shift. Your proposal is to take identity aggregation decisions away from the individuals most directly affected by them, on the basis that more transparency is better for everyone; there is no legitimate reason to choose any course of action inconsistent with maximum transparency (also because you find privacy annoying). We are not searching for a counterexample that applies to most players, or that has no acceptable workaround, or that mirrors the preferences you or I would express in a given set of circumstances, just a valid reason that a player might prefer at least some measure of anonymity to maximum transparency.

2) This may hinge on whether or not you believe there are good reasons to think pirating or reselling are immoral. I agree that at least the direct deterrent effects of negative reputation to prevent or reverse, i.e., item borrowing scams, are desirable. If the action in question is not actually illegal or immoral, however, then negative reputation effects may constitute an unwarranted intrusion into a player's action space. For example, suppose 70% of sweaters have low time preferences and wish to sell for 5 PED/K, even if sales are very slow, while the remaining 30% have high time preferences and wish to sell quickly, even if they can only get 2 PED/K. A change to Entropia which made all players' P2P transaction histories over the last month public would be bad in this context if it allowed the 70% to coerce the 30% to sell slowly, by assigning punishments to those who sweat at certain prices. We would not throw our hands up and say "actions have consequences," but correctly identify the intrusion into the 30%'s sphere of affordances as a tyranny of the majority. I have yet to find any good reasons to think pirating or reselling are immoral. Usually the discourse goes something like this.

It's hard to tell exactly what your beef is with resellers who also complain about high unlimited item prices, unless your actual belief is that resellers are evil regardless. I doubt you would bat an eyelash, for example, at folks complaining about high gasoline prices while also raising demand for gasoline by purchasing it. I guess I won't go down the vortex of questioning the assumption that the presence of resellers systemically raises prices (except Vibrant Sweat prices which they clearly systemically lower, since that's considered the "bad" direction).

3 and 5) Your fifth response seems aimed at my third reason, borrowing the example from my fifth reason. The "100% anonymous" concept you're describing is generally referred to as pseudonymity, not anonymity, in the cryptography literature. Transaction graph analysis provides an instructive, cautionary tale. Bitcoin transactions are pseudonymous, not anonymous (users' identities are not stored on chain, but all transactions are publicly stored as a reverse linked list, although some steps are being taken in the cryptocurrency space to move things toward a more genuine conception of anonymity). At one time, it was estimated that up to 40% of real-world identities of Bitcoin transactions could be reverse engineered by studying the structure of the transaction history and conjoining minor pieces of data obtained from sources external to the Bitcoin ecosystem. This number may have gone down since using a new Bitcoin Address for each transaction has become the standard, but it remains an important reminder that pseudonymity is not very robust. The point of my third reason is that the more aggregated online identities are, the more pieces of data malicious actors have to conjoin, and it doesn't take that many pieces to obtain startling results.

4) This reason is admittedly stated kind of opaquely because of forum rules. The point is that even if negative effects of discarding anonymity and aggregating identities are somewhat rare (at least, the subset of negative effects we can actually obverse and identify as causally relevant), they tend to include the most strongly negative effects an analysis needs to account for. In Entropia, an example might be MindArk someday deciding to take moderation action against everyone who expressed disagreement with the trajectory the game's development was taking. This attack would obviously have more chilling force if every player had to fear for the safety of their Entropia account based on their views expressed on the forums. The focus here is not to fear monger over this individual example, but to motivate folks to consider that many of the bad effects of forced de-anonymity are really bad. I'm not sure what "anonymity sucks in entropia at least according to most people in this thread" has to do with this. I'm not arguing that most players believe anonymity has positive effects. I'm arguing that anonymity has positive effects. This seems to be an argumentum ad populum.
man, you'd make one hell of a good lawyer

good arguments all around, i really dont have any counter argument. i guess its more about figuring out if the pros would outweight the cons

i love being proven wrong, thanks Marie

we all love beeing proven wrong ;)
but you guys are missing a curcial point here, names are irelevant, lets get a category to display pronouns, focus on the humanitarian side first :D
There used to be a place to display real-world and/or in-world pronouns before the forum software change. I'm pretty sure it was optional.

its too dangerous that people do the thinking themselfs when they read something, its much better that the fact checker will do the thinking, i have heard that the AI will do the fact checking in the future, this will be a safe and effective outcome, only a total wrongthinker could disagree with this

if y'all could stay on topic it'd be great

Sounds fine... but then again I did since forever anyhow...

Back