Merging melee professions / skills

Status

Kim|MindArk

Former Planet Calypso Official
As the title suggests I've been thinking about merging one/two handed clubber to a single profession and skill. The same goes for longblades and shortblades.

Is this something you would like or not?

Would like that very much.

Also make more melee weapons so there is no sib gaps. You might have fixed that already though.

While I am not really a melee user, I kinda like the distinction between longblade and shortblade. As I said though, I am not someone who uses melee much so I guess my opinion shouldn't count that much here :laugh:

Excellent idea, just make sure you handle the skills associated fairly and appropriately.

Will the points be added together? IE, say i have 5000 longblade points and 5000 shortblade points, following the merge my overall skill points be 10000 and therefore i can use higher skilled weapons, or how will it work?

How will you reconcile the difference in skill values of shortblades and longblades, and the pricing of the items? It doesn't really affect me anymore since I am done with melee, but devaluing the skills and items (doubling the presence of melee weapon in shortblades overnight sure does suck to be a melee weapon owner)

On the plus side using POD for free is great :D

Yes!

Amps on them would be nice too, and to have less decay would be great!!..Just a thought.
I would like it!!!!:wtg:

Last edited:
As the title suggests I've been thinking about merging one/two handed clubber to a single profession and skill. The same goes for longblades and shortblades.

Kim/MindArk

Please listen to mine and others request to add more Powerfist weapons that are capable of any serious hunting and skilling.

This is a request that I have personally made through multiple threads and support cases , only to be ignored and given excuses that it is the Player Planet responsibility to make weapons.

I have spent a great deal of time and money skilling this profession to only reach a hunting and skilling dead end.

I believe this could be a great revenue enhancement for you and it would certainly help me and others that have made this request countless times in the past.

and again

Bones

I sincerely hope you are also asking the same question to the Planet Partners whom may have invested quite a bit of time and effort into developing a new storyline and weapons which would maximize current melee distinctions.

If your reasoning for wanting to do this is related to current lack of interest in melee, maybe it's because there aren't enough melee weapons that compare favorably to BLP/Laser offerings.

Off topic: Why the hell is Spacecraft Engineer under combat professions instead of crafting? Ruins my average. :mad:

I've been thinking about merging one/two handed clubber to a single profession and skill. The same goes for longblades and shortblades.

Yes, it would for sure increase the number of melee users. You should perhaps do the same cleanup on some other skills. Get rid of plasma.(Turn it to blp or laser)

Don't do it, in the end it will p*ss off a lot of people because the change in markup of items and/or skills.

I still think the person responsible for the merging of probes and bombs and the mining amps should be fired on the spot (talk about badly handled)

By the way, Kim, is this you asking as head of Calypso team or for MindArk? :)

Will the points be added together? IE, say i have 5000 longblade points and 5000 shortblade points, following the merge my overall skill points be 10000 and therefore i can use higher skilled weapons, or how will it work?

I assume merging the TT value of the skills would be the best? :dunno:

Please listen to mine and others request to add more Powerfist weapons that are capable of any serious hunting and skilling.

After a few failed searches I found a quote on this from EF:
- Added 4 new craftable powerfists (L) with SIB between 44-70ish

- Added a lot more craftable clubs (L) that should enable a smooth sib progression from 1-70.

- Placed an art order for two additional club weapon models, should look pretty cool when its finished.

This is from a bit over 2 weeks ago, were they added in the last VU but not yet discovered? :confused:

And now I am sad that even Powerfists have 4 different (L) weapons that are higher DPS than the highest you can get with any MF chip :laugh:

i dont get why you guys want to change so many things when there are still so many things that need to be fixed,its problably the fact that im an old guy,our generation only expands on stuff when that stuff is working 100%

yes merge melee's!!!!

bring Melee amps!
and make longblade/shortblade etc skill give HP like HG and Rifle and mining

simplify the melee profession!!!!

Fantastic idea!!!! :) Uh, do it with ALL of them though... including but not limited to clubs/whips/longblade/shortblade, etc. Didn't see you mention whips in the first post (never really understood how a whip was a shortblade if that is what it's considered?). Whips were not even considered as a profession in some global events I think like the others are... stop discriminating against the Dominax/dominatrix.. ;)

While you are at it, maybe convert whip skills in to equal amount of taming skills for when the taming does finally arrive for all those that have been skilling up on whips since vu 10 but were not able to get the related taming skills that should have come with that since taming's been broken all this time.

Also, PLEASE talk this through with the balancing manager ASAP. Otherwise we'll see UL Sib weapon prices go sky high, even further then they already are, without any more dropping in loot, which would be a horrible thing, and a DIRECT consequence of manipulation of the market based on speculation created from this thread...

Last edited:
it would just be nice for melee hunters to beable to use blades of all lengths :)
or any melee weapons on any planet... and not be limited to one type of length or fist :)

this is a great idea... and i hope to see this in the future

Umm.. this is exactly not the kind of post I want to see, the kind of post some people were alluding to when mining was merged. The kind of post saying "we have decided to do away with blps vs laser vs plasma[1] and merge it all into two professions, and the blueprints and amplifiers will be merged together in a semi-half-assed way".

I don't think knife fighting ans sword fighting are or should be similar or that the professions and skills of light and heavy melee should be merged. If anything these should be made more dissimilar than these already are, with more emphasis on speed for light and massive damage from slow hits for the heavy. Given how "much" attention clubs, never mind two handed clubs, have received, maybe it would be a better idea to just drop them from the game?

[1] I don't think anybody would believe anybody at MA remembers about Gauss and Particle beamers. Its not as if you remembered to make professions...

Yes, it would for sure increase the number of melee users. You should perhaps do the same cleanup on some other skills. Get rid of plasma.(Turn it to blp or laser)

And what do we need blp and laser for anyways? Lets just have:

• Pistols
  • Rifles
  • Melee

And be done with it. Lets have a really lame, no real choices kind of game.

And what do we need blp and laser for anyways? Lets just have:

• Pistols
  • Rifles
  • Melee

And be done with it. Lets have a really lame, no real choices kind of game.

lame post... there can still be a distinction with the range weapons...

but melee should definatly be merged

Can't say the idea appeals to me personally. I kinda liked skilling the different areas.

As the title suggests I've been thinking about merging one/two handed clubber to a single profession and skill. The same goes for longblades and shortblades. Is this something you would like or not?
yes merge it call it the clubber profession. Leave shortblade/longblade along, let them give HP like rifle/handgun only fair imo. Keep things simple laser/blp/support. Longblade/shortblade/powerfist (not sure about whip though). Also remove plasma & particle beamer skills they are not needed as far as I'm concerned. Other than that I like the suggestion to merge, you have my approval :). *signed*: Mark Rufen Power
Amps on them would be nice too, and to have less decay would be great!!..Just a thought. I would like it!!!!:wtg:
Yes some sort of melee amp & less decay all round for melee weapons would be really good move imo :).

I sincerely hope you are also asking the same question to the Planet Partners whom may have invested quite a bit of time and effort into developing a new storyline and weapons which would maximize current melee distinctions. If your reasoning for wanting to do this is related to current lack of interest in melee, maybe it's because there aren't enough melee weapons that compare favorably to BLP/Laser offerings.

Off topic: Why the hell is Spacecraft Engineer under combat professions instead of crafting? Ruins my average. :mad:
I think he means universe wide, cause currently no other planet really has need of the skills I mentioned above. It's either blp/laser/etc or longblade/shortblade/etc. Yes also fix Snow's off topic comment :yup:.

For removing plasma and guass weaponry. They are seriously lacking in items and are not needed imo & would make marber weapons just as desirable if turned to laser.

~Mark~

Last edited:
Merging melee skills/professions would be nice.

...while I'm here, Kim, could you think of adding in a Seal Club? It would help in taking down Mermoth :D

lame post... there can still be a distinction with the range weapons...

Any other reason than increasing the market for UL SIB melee weapons?

Just a thought, not been there, but isn't NI purely melee? Do they like this idea?

Why do you feel the need to do this?

It would be really unrealistic though...

"Hey I have handled this one-handed 0.8 kilo knife so much I now can handle a two-handed 2 kilo sword exactly as good!"

It would be really unrealistic though...

"Hey I have handled this one-handed 0.8 kilo knife so much I now can handle a two-handed 2 kilo sword exactly as good!"

oh but light swords... and killing monsters seems sooooo realistic LOL... yuk and you used metic...
:yay::yay::yay::yay:

gief me luuut
gief me meleeez prof

oh but light swords... and killing monsters seems sooooo realistic LOL

You know what I mean. They are different types of weapons that are handled in a completely different way, therefore they should have different skills and professions.

Kim/MindArk

This is a request that I have personally made through multiple threads and support cases , only to be ignored and given excuses that it is the Player Planet responsibility to make weapons.

I have spent a great deal of time and money skilling this profession to only reach a hunting and skilling dead end.

I believe this could be a great revenue enhancement for you and it would certainly help me and others that have made this request countless times in the past.

and again

Bones

Yes im working on fist weapons, ive made 20 of them already.

Status
Back