Microsoft Sam

andyzammy

Marauder
Banned
hey all :p

can someone please remind me how to get the text to speech thingy workin in MS word (at least i think its word). MS seems to have this weired opinion that text TO speech means speach to text, and is trying to activate my mic (which i don't have).

any takers? :p

XP and office XP word, whatever that is (2000?)

its a pretty old trick but its sure as hell funny

XP and office XP word, whatever that is (2000?)

its a pretty old trick but its sure as hell funny

crap, i don't have office xp (aka 2002 ;)) installed anymore ... only two things i know of is, in Control Panel, choose "Speech" (in Classic View) and you can type stuff in and have it heard, or, at "Start" >> "Programs"/"All Programs" >> "Accessories" >> "Accessibility" >> "Narrorator" - it will talk to you for everything (menu choice, typed letters, etc)

i can't find a way to get either of these to work within word (aside from Narrorator telling me what keys im typing) ... sry :(

If you *really* want a good but old trick, find a friends PC that's not running a screensaver at the moment, and has some desktop application running.

Click on the desktop, do a screenprint, open paint and paste it in.
Save the image as a bmp, then... wait for it...

Set the desktop wallpaper to the bitmap you just created.

The result? Your mark thinks his application is stuck open and nonresponsive somehow. ;)

Now raise your right hand and swear to use this power only for the greater good. SWEAR!

AG

If you *really* want a good but old trick, find a friends PC that's not running a screensaver at the moment, and has some desktop application running.

The result? Your mark thinks his application is stuck open and nonresponsive somehow. ;)

Now raise your right hand and swear to use this power only for the greater good. SWEAR!

AG

Ahh, but for it to work the best, you have to hide all the real desktop icons and the taskbar as well. It makes for a decent skills test when you do it to someone at an IT firm and wait to see how long it takes them to realize the problem ;):laugh:

err bump? i'm pretty sure i did it on my current setup, i just can't remember how to get to it :scratch2:

AG

I used to do that at work all the time. Was fucking hilarious :laugh:

@ Mr Wizard: I was working at a large blue chip IT company at the time and my colleagues were meant to be tech savvy.

It used to amuse me to no end messing about with everyones PCs. Although sometimes it was just downright silly shit like using packaging tape and completely wrapping up their whole desktop...

ie: taping their mouse, keyboard, monitor and chair together :/

I used to do that at work all the time. Was fucking hilarious :laugh:

@ Mr Wizard: I was working at a large blue chip IT company at the time and my colleagues were meant to be tech savvy.

It used to amuse me to no end messing about with everyones PCs. Although sometimes it was just downright silly shit like using packaging tape and completely wrapping up their whole desktop...

ie: taping their mouse, keyboard, monitor and chair together :/

hehe, I was at the car showroom the other day buying a new car. We were all ready to finalise the details and what not, so we sat down at the desk and waited a min while he got some papers. He came back and said we best move to another desk because this one had been set up for the new starter the next day. The mouse and keyboard and pens had all been glued to the table :laugh:

Id have loved to see that blokes face...

Back