My Mining Journey (A Sequel)

Hi All,

I hope everyone is doing well. Jade has inspired me to begin recording my mining runs for the community, so I hope to help everyone else see what can be achieved through mining. For me, mining is what finances the real gameplay - hunting. It used to be a chore to me, but it's grown on me with time as I've come to appreciate what can be obtained.

Tools I use:
Earth Excavator ME/01 - very slow, but 3rd most eco unl excavator in game; has a max TT of 2.4 PED and lasts for 800 pulls lol. I may eventually upgrade to a GSE Improved or Adjusted, but those take roughly a 1M or 500k PED cycle to breakeven on, so they are far overpriced in my opinion. Still, it's a want.
DSEC Seeker L30 - little bit pricey on MU, but can be amortized over long period and helps with cycle speed for unamped mining.

At any rate, I started out on Caly today and will later fly to Arkadia.

Here's one quick tip for beginners: avoid buying warps if at all possible. That's a very expensive form of MU that you're never going to get back. Think about it: it costs the warp operator 3 ped ($.30) to complete a warp, but most of the time you will pay 20 ped ($2) or 40 ped for a pickup ($4) that will be very hard to get back unless you're mining in massive quantities. I'm not against anybody making a profit, and warp operators pay a LOT for those ships, but you're never going to get the MU (in the form of sunk cost on buying the warp) back.

Instead, if you're planet-bound due to a small budget (and shouldn't risk flying with materials through PVP space), become friends with the various traders that come through and who are willing to buy your ores. Most will buy ores unrefined and offer fair prices of 1-2% off Caly AH mu - a win-win trade. I won't share the names of these traders for their privacy, but there are some very good people out there. Watch the chat and you will eventually meet them.

At any rate, enough blabbing and time for the sharing to begin.

1st run - unamped
TT Cost - 481 PED
TT Return - 664 PED (138.04% TT)
Notable Loots - 291 Caldorite HOF (decent markup, always nice to HOF on something besides blaus or oil xD)

Run was going terrible right until the end. Never quit dropping, and drop within your bankroll.

Think about it: it costs the warp operator 3 ped ($.30) to complete a warp, but most of the time you will pay 20 ped ($2) or 40 ped for a pickup ($4)
I’ve seen that myth come up quite a few times lately that’s worth lancing when it shows up. Most of the time you’re going to be paying 10 ped or less for scheduled warps, and most people won’t have much issue with timing on those unless both the major services happen when you are sleeping. VIP warps are 20+ped plus pickup, etc. and are by definition luxury transport, so they shouldn’t be treated as a standard. They especially goes for miners where Equus/Firebird weight limits, even with containers, are quickly surpassed.

Very good point by KingofAces here ^ - if you HAVE TO warp, using a standard warp such as Granny Rowan's service or John Black Knight's service is the superior option for miners trying to make a profit. Still, even for these services, it is arguably better to build up a solid bankroll of materials before utilizing the warp. It is still MU that you are never going to get back.

Thanks KoA!

Isn’t it pretty safe to fly in space now? I’ve yet to see a pirate or anything and the pvp zones seem pretty limited as to where they can catch you.

Isn’t it pretty safe to fly in space now? I’ve yet to see a pirate or anything and the pvp zones seem pretty limited as to where they can catch you.
I would imagine it's probably safer to fly now than it was in the past, which is a fair point. Still, I often carry 1000s of peds of materials on me, and that is $100s of real life money, so I'm not willing to risk it personally. Even for someone who's carrying less...if that's your whole bankroll it would be excruciatingly discouraging to lose it....and I think the last thing we want is for someone to get discouraged early on.

Had the day off from work today so mining pretty much non-stop.
2nd run - unamped
TT Cost - 495 PED
TT Return - 514 PED (103.83% TT)
Notable Loots - 72 PED Lyst global

Hi All,

I hope everyone is doing well. Jade has inspired me to begin recording my mining runs for the community, so I hope to help everyone else see what can be achieved through mining. For me, mining is what finances the real gameplay - hunting. It used to be a chore to me, but it's grown on me with time as I've come to appreciate what can be obtained.

Tools I use:
Earth Excavator ME/01 - very slow, but 3rd most eco unl excavator in game; has a max TT of 2.4 PED and lasts for 800 pulls lol. I may eventually upgrade to a GSE Improved or Adjusted, but those take roughly a 1M or 500k PED cycle to breakeven on, so they are far overpriced in my opinion. Still, it's a want.
DSEC Seeker L30 - little bit pricey on MU, but can be amortized over long period and helps with cycle speed for unamped mining.

At any rate, I started out on Caly today and will later fly to Arkadia.

Here's one quick tip for beginners: avoid buying warps if at all possible. That's a very expensive form of MU that you're never going to get back. Think about it: it costs the warp operator 3 ped ($.30) to complete a warp, but most of the time you will pay 20 ped ($2) or 40 ped for a pickup ($4) that will be very hard to get back unless you're mining in massive quantities. I'm not against anybody making a profit, and warp operators pay a LOT for those ships, but you're never going to get the MU (in the form of sunk cost on buying the warp) back.

Instead, if you're planet-bound due to a small budget (and shouldn't risk flying with materials through PVP space), become friends with the various traders that come through and who are willing to buy your ores. Most will buy ores unrefined and offer fair prices of 1-2% off Caly AH mu - a win-win trade. I won't share the names of these traders for their privacy, but there are some very good people out there. Watch the chat and you will eventually meet them.

At any rate, enough blabbing and time for the sharing to begin.

1st run - unamped
TT Cost - 481 PED
TT Return - 664 PED (138.04% TT)
Notable Loots - 291 Caldorite HOF (decent markup, always nice to HOF on something besides blaus or oil xD)

Run was going terrible right until the end. Never quit dropping, and drop within your bankroll.
Nice to see my log inspire people 😉. We need more miners! I would also advocate warps with Granny( i keep jiffing up the warp name so Granny warps sound fun😆😆). Ive been using Dsec 30 too recently, since the cost of metal res has shot up amp prices. Good luck with your journey. Keep tracking your up to date returns every 5k ped cycled.😉

Last post of the day:

Run 5 - unamped
TT Cost - 459
TT Return - 478 (104.13% TT)
Notable Loots - 56 PED Oil global

We'll see what tomorrow brings. Off work again Thursday, so hopefully more time to build the PED card ex-depositing prior to Mayhem. Peace!

Notable Loots - 2x mining strongbox, nice 30 PED of free MU thank you MA
I had completely forgotten that Sooto was a thing, did they change it so you can't find them amped? :S I must have dropped countless thousands of probes since coming back last year and I've had a grand total of 0.

I had completely forgotten that Sooto was a thing, did they change it so you can't find them amped? :S I must have dropped countless thousands of probes since coming back last year and I've had a grand total of 0.
They are really, really rare. I think that in my total time of playing EU (about a year and a half if my memory serves me right), I've gotten maybe 10 mining strongboxes overall. That's with level 61 prospector and 58 surveyor, so we're probably talking close to 100k probes dropped.

They are a little less rare on Arkadia, but to my understanding to find something that is SOOTO on Arkadia (something out of the ordinary - for you newbies...I didn't know what SOOTO meant for a long time either) you have to hunt for treasure...and since most treasure has no markup, well, you get the picture.

Yeah I think my last sooto was actually one of the crashed robot ships :D

I can actually second that. in my 15k amped cycle i got no sooto

They are really, really rare. I think that in my total time of playing EU (about a year and a half if my memory serves me right), I've gotten maybe 10 mining strongboxes overall. That's with level 61 prospector and 58 surveyor, so we're probably talking close to 100k probes dropped.

They are a little less rare on Arkadia, but to my understanding to find something that is SOOTO on Arkadia (something out of the ordinary - for you newbies...I didn't know what SOOTO meant for a long time either) you have to hunt for treasure...and since most treasure has no markup, well, you get the picture.
yes you are correct. sooto on ark is better only if you doing treasure finds.

Alright, I know I said I was going to stop earlier...and yes it's 3 AM where I am right now...but when a day has gone this well it's tough to put it away. More importantly, I have Thursday off from work so I can sleep in tomorrow night and I've learned that MA tends to have a "faucet" for mining loot. When the faucet is on, you have to milk it for all it's worth. When it's off, it's just off.

At any rate....hit driller level 52 so there's that. Got the Excavator up to tier 1.98 and goodness gracious that last .01 takes FOREVER! Can't wait to tier up that bad boy.

Run 6 - unamped
TT Cost - 468
TT Return - 540 (115.38% TT)

Who knows what tomorrow evening may hold, but I would be stupefied if it's as good as this day again.

Odd. I also started with mining again since last december and since that I have done 38,5k amped drops (ore+enmatter at the same time) and had total ot 15 SOOTO finds, 14 of them with Mining strongbox and NO Beacons at all....

Per my earliest records in August. i had done a lot of triple drops on Ark and hit i think 10-15 boxes. treasure stopped when i stopped triple droping. I dont understand why people sell those boxes so cheap when they so rare to find.🤔

Per my earliest records in August. i had done a lot of triple drops on Ark and hit i think 10-15 boxes. treasure stopped when i stopped triple droping. I dont understand why people sell those boxes so cheap when they so rare to find.🤔
Maybe because they're so god awful to open :D

I'll be able to grab some more keys when I'm out of the country again soon, I'll open 200 mining boxes when I'm back and post the results :D
Pls do. if i were not ristricted to buy keys id be doing that experiment quite often. maybe you find Dunkel. i think its the only way to find that enmat now🤣

Beacons can only be find in SOOTO @Calypso since it is a Calypso instance!

On Ark you get a higher % of SOOTO but no beacons and you don't need to do treasures to be able to drop a SOOTO.

Back