Help: Need some help getting started with crafting

Karma_Jackal

Guardian
Ok so after years of hunting and some mining runs (Man do I suck at mining) I decided to go into crafting but have a few questions.

Ok first my goal is to one day manufacture weapons / armor / medkits and vehicles.

Where should I start ? Just go nuts with filters and dampners till I unlock BPC or should I use BPS in the same category as what I oneday want to craft. Or should I totally drop the filter and dampner route and use one of the new SIB bps and what one till when?

Then I also have a question about quality / quantity setting. I have seen some screenshots of crafters crafting some (L) items with the slider all the way to quality (way down in the red) without using any residue why is that? Is it better to craft with a low COS for (L) items then using quantity with residue?

Last thing I want to know is it possible to be lucky and craft a (UL) version of a (L) weapon / armor or medkit ?

Best way to start: buy skills. Beginner crafters have a catch-22: the SIB bps have a high cost per click, but because your skills are low, it's nearly impossible to stay even doing them.

2nd best way: There's a trick with repairing vehicles (I believe it's in the accomplishments forum) where you can unlock bpc for about 300 ped. However, after that post, the cost of the rk-5 doubled and now it probably costs around 600 ped. It would be cheaper to buy skills.

Then, you need some BP's. It's cheaper to buy one with high QR, although many people have had big hits on fresh bp's. You want to match them up with whatever existing professions you have. If you've been hunting with the opalo, get the p1a or jester d-1. If you were using blp, the s40 is good. Imho, invest in a bp with a cost you are comfortable with. The abrer, for example, costs 20 ped per click. Settler shins are .5. You want at least .5 ped per click otherwise you will skill very slowly. You also want something you can sell, such as basic sheet metal.

That's it! Click, skill, and sell what you make.

Re: UL crafts: guns are usually found by hunting, amps are found while mining, and it is possible to craft bp's of UL versions of L items.

Last edited:
Then I also have a question about quality / quantity setting. I have seen some screenshots of crafters crafting some (L) items with the slider all the way to quality (way down in the red) without using any residue why is that? Is it better to craft with a low COS for (L) items then using quantity with residue?

There's a sticky around here about COS.

Regarding residue use, there's three reasons:
1. If you get any success at full condition, the item might be full so residue is not needed.
2. The MU of the item is lower than the MU of residue, so they would take a loss if they used it.
3. They are making clothes. Clothes doesn't need to be full condition to be used, and coloring it increases condition.

I think your best bet is same advice I tell everyone, grab a BP that has a product that you can sell and click it.

You obviously have engineering skills from mining so thatll help. Maybe spend 100 ped on metal/elec/mechanical engineering chip just so you can click w/e BP u want at the lower range, but then stick with that...

I started out doing Springs, Conductors and Ruds, all are pretty cheap MU to click, bit higher TT... but they skilled my elec/mechan/metal skills.... the products aren't that good... but its probably the best route to go without chipping.

Hunt - puny mob near PA... gets you lot of muscle oil cheaply. Now go buy some eye oil off auction - hint: buying bigger stacks you can get cheaper costs... shoot for 101% or lower if possible... Now get yourself conductors bp that uses muscle oil and eye oil and off you go.

Use google... entropedia and bob the builder's website (if you forget it just type bob the builder entropia in google)

Thanks for all the help sofar. hmm the vehicle repair part sounds interesting. Now to get my buggy back and do my party to help global warming by crashing it until the smoke comes out of it.

Back