New Miner here, still just dont get it :(

GovMcFly

Young
Ok, I read the guides and maybe it is cause I just started out and my matterseeker is still to newbish, but I just can't seem to find any matter or whatever. I don't fully get how the whole surveying/geology/perception/intelligence clues work. I will get them and then I end up using all my probes to figure out where the deposit is near it but always end up never finding anything.
Is there a trick to finding even just poor deposits that I missed after readign the guides?

Most of the "system" posts on this forum are theories, lacking fact, and results. I am busy with a blog / experiment at the moment, running a few tests in order to figure out the best way to mine with minimal loss. Give me a pm if you are interested in figuring out mining for yourself.

Well I'm not a miner but if I were to go out right now and do it:

1. Don't start too close to a Service Centre/Town/City
2. Run in a straight line
3. Ensure I drop bombs/probes at the correct distances for my finder
4. Make a thread on EF that will inspire Filthy McNasty to mentor me :silly2:

Good luck :)

like how do i know what the distances are for my finder? Like how do I know how many meters 50 meters is in game even ha. And why a straight line?

Howdy and Welcome McFly :)

Can make a couple of suggestions, other than trying to help via here.
Can meet ya in game and take you for a mining run and try explain a few things. and/or join NBK miners (apply at soc serminal) and be with many other miners who are all learning at various levels. PM me and let me know if you'd like some in game help...go from there.
To answer your dirrect finder question... click on the information tab of your finder. It tells you there what you need to know..this applies to all tools/weapons...blah blah

But to start with:
TT ore finder:

Type: Ore
Weight: 2.7 kg
Stats
Range: 54 m
Depth: 204 m
Uses: 8 /Min
Economy
Decay: 1.501 PEC
Max.TT: 2.4 PED
Min.TT: 0.072 PED
Uses: 156 Total

TT Enmatter finder:
Type: Enmatter
Weight: 1.3 kg
Stats
Range: 55 m
Depth: 204 m
Uses: 8 /Min
Economy
Decay: 0.751 PEC
Max.TT: 1.8 PED
Min.TT: 0.054 PED
Uses: 233 Total

Hope that helps as a start :)

All the best,

Indica

Get Info on your finder, there you will see a Range (usually about 50-54 mtrs) that reflects how wide your search radius is. Depending on your agility (your run speed is affected by this) I find usually between 12-14 seconds will get you around 100-110 mtrs. Also if your mainly focussing on enmatters try near water for more finds, lakes and beaches. You will find enmatter in most areas but near water I found to have more luck usually.

I normally run in a set direction but when I start getting regular skillups or finds I will switch to more of a carpet-bombing mode and search in a grid around that particular area. Also as a new miner try Eudoria & Treasure Island as the ores & enmatters are normally a little closer to the surface (easier for new miners to locate). Also make notes of what you find in areas as the respawn will usually be similar/same materials.

Hope that helps a little and welcome to Entropia, may Lootius be with us all :D

1. Don't start too close to a Service Centre/Town/City

I can remember hearing of a few good hits around service centre's. I have had a few IX and X's myself...

Anyone remember seeing the tower on TI between the TP and service centre? ;) May have been around 12 months ago maybe more lol.
I usually drop one bomb or probe when I get of a TP, you just never know ;)

I guess you would usually find that there could be quite a few ppl that may have dropped in same spot before you, being so close to a TP. But I personally think mining is the same as hunting and finds are generated as bombs/ probes are dropped.
But until Marco tells us for sure lol.... :scratch2:

I usually drop a 2nd bomb when I get to claim. Doesn't 100% work, but neither have many other theories I have tried... Some tend to work more often than others though, just try to find what works best for you :)

Last edited:
like how do i know what the distances are for my finder? Like how do I know how many meters 50 meters is in game even ha. And why a straight line?

Finder range has been explained.

Press P in game to get location, while running continually press P to gauge distance travelled. Eventually you will see how long it takes you to run the distance you need and then you can count off in your head

Straight line to start, easiest way to track the distance for bomb drops in the beginning. When you go hardcore with excell and Neo maps etc then you will plan your run and can do the carpet bomb method

Forget about the skill-gain clues, I know some people believe it but for a beginner it justs add confusion. When you have some mining experience you can start trying to use the skill-gain theory and decide if it works or just superstition ;)

Just take as many probes as you can and run in a straight line as explained above. You will find the deposits.

Try to pay attention to what resources you find in differenet area, this is the key to successful mining.

Finder range has been explained.

Press P in game to get location, while running continually press P to gauge distance travelled. Eventually you will see how long it takes you to run the distance you need and then you can count off in your head

Straight line to start, easiest way to track the distance for bomb drops in the beginning. When you go hardcore with excell and Neo maps etc then you will plan your run and can do the carpet bomb method
Straight line in cardinal directions makes it easier to calculate the distance travelled. (N/E/S/W).

At least I have trouble doing C = SQRT(A2+B2) kind of math in my head :D

On-screen live position display please MA!!!!

So would it be recommended that I ignore the surveying/geology/Intelligence gains then and just focus on going in a straight line til I hit something?

Yes. Drop a probe/bomb every 110 meters.

For starting players with 0 agility this is about 30 seconds running on a flat surface.

dont know what to think about ur reading of guides.
I believe u sort the usage of finder now.
Maybe this can help u :
a) Mining according to skill gain is not proved, but let's say we believe in it.I think new miners can't really use that theory couse u get LOT of skills as a begginer..so maybe later
b) Some ppl get lucky from start, but usually ur return gets better when u have already gained few levels.
c) IMO most important is to find rich field(area). For this i made a system - i took always 100probes and carpet bombed area of 1kmx1km.
From my experince a place where u find a claim size VI or bigger is place worth visiting repeatedly.(not every hour!)

GL

Alternatively you can (when you find something) run out till at 100m from the claim you found then running back towards it, count off the distance to see how long it takes you to run 100m (remember also that uphill running is a little slower than downhill or flat :) ). A little overlap is fine but spreading them too far apart & you could miss something nice, so try to keep to around 100m between bombs/probes.

Just for fun:

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

Oh bah humbug :silly2:

Fine then :laugh:

Wait for Joe Jeff to visit storage then drop a probe on top of the container in the Service Centre, should get you a XIII at least :D

*DO NOT TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY*

So is it normal to go thru 200 probes when starting out without hitting anything?

no that isnt normal
i get close to TT used back but i no starter anymore
when i was starting with mining it was worse though

so i think yes as a starter miner you get less TT back

So is it normal to go thru 200 probes when starting out without hitting anything?

that is really bad luck but considering ur mining style it is possible.
I remember my luck was really bad until i reached lvl 10.Then I know ppl who hoffed in their first run.
Again, explore the planet and try to find good spot.That worked for me best.

(PS: don't use amps yet, and really keep the distance between probes)

Where did you go mining? Club Never Pay?

Have a go around/near Sweat Camp and Port Atlantis and you should hit stuff without too much trouble. Also try over at Amathera on Treasure Island.

Did you stand in one place dropping those 200 probes?

Are you De La Hotte by any chance? :)

Well Ive don't that straight line method and used over a 100 probes without a single hit. I must be doing something fundamentally wrong...

Well for some of them I tried Treasure Island but I kept getting stomped to death by those Hollo before I could move north any real distance...sad panda.

Well for some of them I tried Treasure Island but I kept getting stomped to death by those Hollo before I could move north any real distance...sad panda.

Still best advice: get into a good soc that is mining oriented.

In general explore around different TPs to find mob-free places or stick with newbie zones. the furter a mob shows up on your radar the deadlier it is.

ah ok so you need the other two TP's on Treasure Island. Head up to the west side of the lake in the middle of T.I. to find T.I. Castle TP and also T.I. Northern Shores TP is up at the top right corner of Treasure Island. Once you have them you'll find at least 3 land areas that have no mobs (miner friendly) and a few other with gnarly mobs that you should be able to thread your way through as they have a low agro range, stay away from the bots & Hoggs tho :)

Good Luck m8

Regarding Treasure Island: If you get the TI North Shore TP, then run down the beach on the east side of the island, it is a considerable distance before you run into any mobs at all. If you are not in a hurry, try walking the distance instead of running and looking for fruit and stones for a few extra ped.

I have had a bit of success on the Corinth peninsula, also on the run from Aloode to Fort Argus. There are mobs on the way, but not too bad.

Theories suck, I just run and drop when I feel like it and have pretty good returns... mostly ;) (had a streak of bad luck for the last month or so in mining but I guess that happens to us all :D)

I'm not sure how many TP's you have but i'd recommend gathering as many as you can before dropping to many bombs/probes. One of the important things in EU is, if the area you're mining is not hitting much....stop /move to another place so lots of options as to places to drop is good. :)

As to mining "theories" keep in mind they are just that...."theory", not fact. ;)Always read others thoughts and once you get comfortable perhaps give them a go, but finding what way works for you is the most important.

If you have'nt already I'd suggest checking out the following thread for an idea what is found where:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/mining/162078-post-vu-10-mining-resources-maps-charts.html

and then this one :
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...ining-depths-data-ores-enmatters-finders.html

Don't be afraid to call off a run if you're not finding anything and move or try again later. I used to like point A to point B mining when I started out. Pick a TP, and run to another TP mining along the way. In the beginning it's a great way to learn / find fields that hit well.

And as others have suggested, perhaps look for a soc for beginning miners. Maybe someone with such a soc will give you a shout out for an invite. :)

Edit: I should also add, if you choose to try TP to TP mining, until you find some "fields" that give you some results, don't take large amounts of probes out with you. 100 with no hits is far to many. Try 25-50 probes...also, in the beginning at least try keeping a log or some sort of record what you found where... :)
GL mate. :)

Steve

Last edited:
Well Ive don't that straight line method and used over a 100 probes without a single hit. I must be doing something fundamentally wrong...

so you say you threw 300 probes without a single hit? then yes, you are doing something fundamental wrong. are you sure you follow the direction pointing on the display of the finder to the claim and extract it?

you can also look at the tab of the inventory where the ped card is if there are claim documents, there you find the coordinates

Back