Question: Ocr Sreen grab program.

Lexie

Old Alpha
Edward Lexie Lexinton
Heya,

As a trader i do about 50-100 trades / evening. I use a well made excell sheet to calc the price i pay for ppls resources. This is very time consuming. Sometimes there are some ppl waiting till they can trade their stuff.

So i'm looking for a tool who can capture the trade screen text ( list view ) and put that in my excell sheet.

So this would have three benefits

- less manual effort
- faster service ( less ppl waiting )
- and almost no miscalculations anymore

Is there anybody who can point me in the right direction, or someone who use a tool that can help me.

I found this Fasttrade threat from someone who accomplished this for vu 9.xx . Sad enough it doesn't work anymore and he isn't able to lett EU work for him.

I'm not really sure but I thin OCR has a bit of a problem with VU10 these days. I know a few websites and programs that used that before VU10, but they all stopped supporting VU10 and I think it was because of the OCR.

There must be some tools around. Anyone ?

all the new programs (like the trackers and some other ones) now use the chat log we got from MindArk and as far as I know that works pretty well. Of course if you wanna use the OCR for something like what 'No Recourse Found' did (for reading your mining claims) well that's something else and I think so far not possible or someone would have done it by now.

Anyway, good luck

Yep, its not possible to do the way it could be done before VU 10.
In VU 9 it was done by comparing the colour of pixels, but since they forced antialias in the characters the colours have smeared out and have all kind of colours around it that is extracted from the background. So there is no standard character anymore.
No possibility of parsing characters for my mininglogger (that had more possibilities than NRF) means no EU. If Mindark decides to put the parsable characters back I might return from "that other game with millions of users"

Hi,

just use the chat.log files - much easier, and the same text in 'em.

Have fun!

Hi,

just use the chat.log files - much easier, and the same text in 'em.

Have fun!

The chat.log doesn't show the TT values - quantities off the recourses placed in the trade screen. Therfore chat.log is no option. Thx anyway for responding.

There must be someone who can help me. Some home made programs use that technic.

You need Optical Character Recognition software that will integrate with a screen grabbing tool like FRAPS. None I have ever tried truly capture all the characters form a picture. But I have only tried free programs.

I'm sure there is a tool out there but you would have to pay for it I guess.

You need Optical Character Recognition software that will integrate with a screen grabbing tool like FRAPS. None I have ever tried truly capture all the characters form a picture. But I have only tried free programs.

I'm sure there is a tool out there but you would have to pay for it I guess.

Thx for reply indeed i need Ocr screen grab software. There must be something out there.

Hi,

The chat.log doesn't show the TT values - quantities off the recourses placed in the trade screen. Therfore chat.log is no option. Thx anyway for responding.
Oooops, guess I got this mixed up with another thread I read at the time - I apologize!

Have fun!

Edit:

I'd take this approach:
Use a screen grabber based on "Autohotkey" (or similar) to:
  1. extract the trade window
  2. send the bitmap to "Gimp" or such to make some defined color/ depth changes for better readability,
  3. then send the result to an OCR program
  4. and insert the results into spreadsheet.

A problem would be to get the exact position of the trade window (it's draggable, right?), and then the low opacity it might have now (dunno, rarely trade ...). Anyway, this seems to be quite a quest to create such ...

Last edited:
Hi,

Oooops, guess I got this mixed up with another thread I read at the time - I apologize!

Have fun!

Edit:

I'd take this approach:
Use a screen grabber based on "Autohotkey" (or similar) to:
  1. extract the trade window
  2. send the bitmap to "Gimp" or such to make some defined color/ depth changes for better readability,
  3. then send the result to an OCR program
  4. and insert the results into spreadsheet.

A problem would be to get the exact position of the trade window (it's draggable, right?), and then the low opacity it might have now (dunno, rarely trade ...). Anyway, this seems to be quite a quest to create such ...

Well this is about how the program should work, but then fully automated.
I'm not that skilled programmer to make it myself.
So if someone is using a simular program that i can adjust for my own needs that should be wonderfull ( i can read code and eventually edit it )

There must me something. The skill scanner can do it so it must be possible

well to detect the trade window its rather easy as you have one larger image and a smaller image of something specific to trade window,
then just compare them pixel by pixel, and notice there are some possible variations in them each time so as long as the difference of a pixel is like < 2 its an ok value, tho that limit depends of the original values etc so a bit testing and you can find proper value.

reading text might be abit harder but not impossible.

Hey Lex, I'm currently working on an alternative to OCR which is pretty complicated as exact conditions are never the same and I'll of course let you know if I ever get it to work.

People who have a talent for working with such things should take the time to investigate the work of Jeff Hawkins. His approach is somewhat... different, but is also (well, can be) sort of OCR. It's too complicated for me though.

Best regards.

The chat.log doesn't show the TT values - quantities off the recourses placed in the trade screen. Therfore chat.log is no option. Thx anyway for responding
Ah, but it does if you make it! Simply verbalize everything going on in the chat so that it's all recorded. Then you have "notes" to go back to. I do this sometimes for various things I want a timestamp on.

well to detect the trade window its rather easy as you have one larger image and a smaller image of something specific to trade window,
then just compare them pixel by pixel, and notice there are some possible variations in them each time so as long as the difference of a pixel is like < 2 its an ok value, tho that limit depends of the original values etc so a bit testing and you can find proper value.

reading text might be abit harder but not impossible.

Hey Lex, I'm currently working on an alternative to OCR which is pretty complicated as exact conditions are never the same and I'll of course let you know if I ever get it to work.

People who have a talent for working with such things should take the time to investigate the work of Jeff Hawkins. His approach is somewhat... different, but is also (well, can be) sort of OCR. It's too complicated for me though.

Best regards.

Ah, but it does if you make it! Simply verbalize everything going on in the chat so that it's all recorded. Then you have "notes" to go back to. I do this sometimes for various things I want a timestamp on.

Thx for the reply.
Still no working sollution.

Ps: I give all my EFD for the one who can program a fully automated trade program. I can give you some ped too ofcourse.

I would like to offer you the services of my software consultancy company.

You can hire us to write you this code... but im afraid EFD wont be enough ;)

Let me know via pm if you are interested in purchasing custom built code to do the things you need.

Best Regards
Ido Sunrider

The biggest problem I have seen is just translating the AA to something more easily read by OCR apps. I am currently working with Tesseract (Tesseract on Wikipedia). The best part about Tesseract is was originally designed for scanned images which makes it ideal for dealing with AA. I have pretty much got the AA resolved enough for Tesseract to read it, and I have gotten it down to black and white (would love to get it to grayscale). Just using Verdona and no training getting about 45 to 50% success.
I am now in the process of training Tesseract to read the modified images. Once this is done I can get cranking on my own program. Life has a way of keeing me busy. I should have an update in a couple of weeks at which point I will hopefully be starting my own thread for my program with an initial release of some basic mapping features.
I will be expanding the program on a modular feature download format (to minimize what will be needed). Intended release of features will be 1)mapping 2)hunting 3)mining 4)trading 5)player stats. Initial release will be basic features with future updates to come along based on feedback. This may change based on when ideas get to me or pop in my head.
Hope to meet your needs. Any thoughts on features and possible report layouts, feel free to PM me.

I will also start to look at import/export options to excel spreadsheets for my program (something I hadn't thought of)

That's real good news. If you need some test done let me know i'm your man.
I'm realy interrested in the trading part.

very important topic

this will really automate the trades and make faster client service... thumbs up; i love to trade myself:wtg:

Well it took longer than I expected. (Was trying for hardest situation first, then gave up and focused on the trade windows). I have got the text parsed, but as I am not a trader, I have never paid too much attention to the final trade window before.

My question is are you looking for the program to figure out how much you traded or is the TT value going to be sufficient. It's not hard either way, just a formatting question.

The only tool that comes to m mind which uses screen scan is Jdegre's skill scanner. So when anyone here shold be able to code something like that it should be jdegre. He has a forum account, so you might pm him.

Sorry no different idea here, but hope it helps.

edit: didn'T read the whole thread before posting. so nvm

Well it took longer than I expected. (Was trying for hardest situation first, then gave up and focused on the trade windows). I have got the text parsed, but as I am not a trader, I have never paid too much attention to the final trade window before.

My question is are you looking for the program to figure out how much you traded or is the TT value going to be sufficient. It's not hard either way, just a formatting question.

What i'm looking for is this:

A tool that grabs the list view text line by line and parse that in for exampl in excell.

So when the trade is started, the seller place all his stuff in the trade window. When he's done i should press a button ( printscreen ). Then the tool should extract all text in the trade window ( list view ) and parse it in excell. Then my excell sheet calcs with my rates the total i have to pay for the customer.

Now i'm typing every tt value in my prepared excell sheet. Then the formulas cals the total TT and the total with mu

I'm not looking for the total that i traded ( i seen that how much my ped card went down )

hi,

i have a month before going back to school and summer is verry borring
picture.php

send me some screenies and ill see what i can do... but i dont promis anything
picture.php

(look at sig)

Back