One really amazing mentor

jaywalker

Stalker
Society
-TAO-
Juniper Jaywalker Jones

Hey guys I just want to post this screenie of a really amazing new mentor that i met in PA the other day.

I have nothing to add. I think he speaks for himself well enough.

But maybe some of his disciples would like to come and and sing his praises? Must admit, I'm intrigued as to what they think of him

jay

Btw, at the start of the convo he was having some trouble signing up, but I see that he's made it onto the register now

Maybe someone should tell him they don't give out guns anymore :silly2:

At least he is better than me.... I don't even have the courage to be a mentor ... LOL

Actually the bit that really impressed me was:
"You think I would really mentor a noob to help him? Ha!"

Well, seeing how many people are actually into mentoring all of a sudden... naaaah, they wouldn't do it just for the ME items now, would they? ;)

Maybe someone should tell him they don't give out guns anymore :silly2:

We don't know what's in the line, mentor items are supposed to get better with more mentoring skills - it's just, nobody had the chance to accumulate significant levels in mentoring yet...

Wow. Really? We all know it happens but what kind of person would openly admit it, especially in PA?

Personally, I believe I have the most unpopular opinion of all. I wish they would do away with ME gifts or limit them severely. No, I don't think that should ever happen. But my point is that mentoring has become over-associated with goodies. But let's face it... you'll get more philanthropy with a gift than a thank you.

At the end of the day if he crap at being a mentor his students will kick him off and he will get nothing.:yay:

Well, seeing how many people are actually into mentoring all of a sudden... naaaah, they wouldn't do it just for the ME items now, would they? ;)

Indeed, and the reason several socs now have many more newbies than before mentoring was back is just a coincidence :laugh:

I try to get some diciples at Swamp Camp but most who come there already has one or don't want one... and several of those who does have one have no idea what that actually means as their "mentor" did not tell them.

We don't know what's in the line, mentor items are supposed to get better with more mentoring skills - it's just, nobody had the chance to accumulate significant levels in mentoring yet...

Interesting, source plz wizzszz.

Mentoring system is not perfect... nothing will ever be....

But bringing back mentoring system is defintely one of the most most important thing MA has done for a long time... and it has the potential to increase the player base...

I can give you one example that comes in my mind ....Kiri Kiri Himes who is still ingame, and now he is also one of the best mentor :). It was someone (his real mentor or someone else playing a similar role ) whose guidance was crucial to his development:)

Sorry Kiri... I've disclosed it without your permission... but felt strongly to highlight the importance of proper guidance :)

good mentor , bad mentor.

At least you cannot fault this one for being dishonest.

You can always kick your mentor in the new system if you are not happy with him.
There is also a rating system which allows disciples to rate how good or bad his mentor is.

What more do you want? :scratch2:

If you are too stupid and accept to stick with a bad mentor or take a mentor with bad reputation then it's your fault. :laugh:

Even God gives but doesn't shove in our face :))

I can't find a thread on it, but I can say that Foma is advertising this in game, both on the global ad screen and on his mentor registry. I'd love to know the source too. Can anybody confirm or shed some light on this?

... and several of those who does have one have no idea what that actually means as their "mentor" did not tell them.

I've successfully avoided donning the sarcasm hat here... but it wasn't easy. Sadly, NH's experience at Swamp happens so often. I know there are more "good" mentors out there than not and I'm certain there are very few "bad" ones. But from my own experience as a "farmed" noob, frankly, even I am amazed that I survived the cut and am still playing. I have no wish to flame my original mentor. To his credit, he showed me how to walk, talk and sweat, but after the second day I rarely heard from him again. At the conclusion of my discipleship, he asked if I thought he was any good. I lied and said yes, but truthfully, I didn't know what the difference was at the time, although I found it quite puzzling as to why he got a gift for his efforts. After two days in my society, I already had more attention thrown at me than the year prior to graduation.

Mentoring to me means many things because of those experiences, least of which is a bias against ME gifts. Again, don't get me wrong. I would love a RJME as much as the next player, but I just wish it could better be "earned". Accepting a disciple (for me, imho) means diverting time, ped and energy away from my game, every time I play. Of course, how much depends on the disciple, but regardless, it means forging a new relationship and becoming an ambassador, a teacher, a sponsor and friend. It's a new dimension to a game I love and it's hard to imagine less of a commitment. It's even harder to not be biased against those who don't take it seriously, or take on the maximum number of disciples possible, constantly. For sure, I'm not talking about impossibly lofty standards here. I'm just saying that as much as I would love that RJME, being a decent mentor and keeping a long term player in EU is a greater reward.:wtg:

Had seen the guy at the north SC yesterday while me and my disciple were going to the rippersnappers lake.

His prof standings are only enough for apply to the mentor register and his face is so ugly he really didn't spend more time in the avatar creation than it take to do a couple of clicks on the randomize button. Thus, I'm the sure the avatar was made solely for the disciple grinding.

And he was so lonely there, standing in the same posture a hour and a half later when we were going back... so much for the FL full of disciples :).

Had seen the guy at the north SC yesterday while me and my disciple were going to the rippersnappers lake.

His prof standings are only enough for apply to the mentor register and his face is so ugly he really didn't spend more time in the avatar creation than it take to do a couple of clicks on the randomize button. Thus, I'm the sure the avatar was made solely for the disciple grinding.

And he was so lonely there, standing in the same posture a hour and a half later when we were going back... so much for the FL full of disciples :).

The avatar wasn't made for disciple grinding. This player is just, well, he's in a league of his own. He's funny and a good participant in team events, but he has played for free for a rather long time (he's been playing longer than I have, and I've been here almost 2 years now), and has some rather unique and sometimes nihilistic views on how EU functions. I often times finding myself disagreeing with his brand of morality or lack thereof. He however does not break our code of conduct (merely stretches it at times), so aside from being guilty of selfishness what else is there?

I know alot of selfish people in this game. Many of them on this board. At least this fellow acknowledges it.

so aside from being guilty of selfishness what else is there?

Nothing and that's the whole point. The mentor system, to me, is to help people get started and KEEP THEM IN GAME. Lots of people quit in their first few days because they can't figure the damn thing out. So having douches like this ingame doesn't help ANY of us.
There is no way in hell he should be a mentor and Jaywalker should actually send that screenie to support so maybe they can ban him from the register.

My 2 pecs

Kim posted that on EF - iirc it was in the "What's Kim up to now" thread, but i can't find it anymore...

:(

Nothing and that's the whole point. The mentor system, to me, is to help people get started and KEEP THEM IN GAME. Lots of people quit in their first few days because they can't figure the damn thing out. So having douches like this ingame doesn't help ANY of us.
There is no way in hell he should be a mentor and Jaywalker should actually send that screenie to support so maybe they can ban him from the register.

My 2 pecs

While I understand and support the sentiments behind this, that we want the game to succeed, the way to the game succeeding is not in regulating and policing how people play the game. If we do not allow people the freedom to think, choose, make mistakes, and learn from them we are not allowing people to participate in a true social atmosphere. What we are creating is a nanny atmosphere.

In my opinion that wont save the game, it will doom it.

Is Josh wrong in how hes approaching mentorship? ABSOLUTELY. But the community itself can learn something from this type of attitude. It did not develop in a vacuum. We actually SUPPORT and ENCOURAGE this type of behavior in Entropia. What we dont do is encourage people talking about it. This is something worthy of consideration. To forcibly remove players from being able to participate in systems because they have learned the lessons we taught them in this way isnt solving any problem. It's sweeping it under a rug.

To file a support case over this is absurd. Are we now policing how people think and behave as if we are some sort of totalitarian regime?

tbh that attitude to mentoring has been around for a long time, disciple fishing was a favourite sport for many when I joined.

Thankfully people can kick them as mentors whenever they like, after hearing of people being stuck with their mentor who was only around long enough to lock them in.

Nice to see a change of attitude regarding auto graduation as we used to have to wait for a mentor to graduate their disciple, for some it took months. Sometimes support would force a graduation but others would just get told to wait.

This guy clearly misses the point about the mentor system. Even if he doesn't give a shit about any of the disciples, he still has a better chance of getting his rewards if he helps them understand the game (they will stay around) and teaches them how to play efficiently (they will have the peds to graduate). I don't think this is a flaw in the mentor system, I think this is a flaw in his intelligence.

Oh. My. Gosh.

I am amazed at what you guys did. Really. I'm the guy in that picture, and it was merely a joke. This guy took it too seriously and put it on a thread. Good job, hope you feel happy about yourself.

I am amazed at what you guys did. Really. I'm the guy in that picture, and it was merely a joke. This guy took it too seriously and put it on a thread. Good job, hope you feel happy about yourself.

You had the chance to admit it was a joke. I did ask. And my companion evidently took you seroiusly said "you a not fit to be a mentor". It would really have been politic to admit it was a joke at that point, hmm?

And how come your soc confirm that is. indeed, your attitude?

You seem to have over-used that joke, huh?

I'm going to let this go. Three things are working against this topic being productive at this stage.

1) Misunderstandings. There seems to be many at different levels. Unless those can be sorted out a productive discussion cant continue.

2) Port Atlantis Marina. Long a hotbed for Drama (the capital D is intended), things that happen at Port Atlantis nine times out of ten should probably stay in Port Atlantis.

3) The Internet. The internet is a place friendly to propagating drama and misunderstandings. I dont think I need to say more here.

Its probably best for everyone involved to just step back and walk away.

You had the chance to admit it was a joke. I did ask. And my companion evidently took you seroiusly said "you a not fit to be a mentor". It would really have been politic to admit it was a joke at that point, hmm?

So your saying I would embarrass myself by saying "You think I would mentor noobs to help them? Ha!" In front of 20 people at the Marina? That makes sense.

So your saying I would embarrass myself by saying "You think I would mentor noobs to help them? Ha!" In front of 20 people at the Marina? That makes sense.

About as much sense as making a joke that wasn't really funny, about a topic that some people feel strongly about? I wonder if OJ ever thought of using the "it was a joke" defence :)

About as much sense as making a joke that wasn't really funny, about a topic that some people feel strongly about? I wonder if OJ ever thought of using the "it was a joke" defence :)

It's common sense to know that it was a joke, it might not be a FUNNY joke, so sure it was a Dark Joke. But why, would someone say a sentence like that and think that it was something serious?

It's common sense to know that it was a joke, it might not be a FUNNY joke, so sure it was a Dark Joke. But why, would someone say a sentence like that and think that it was something serious?

Tis not mine to reason why....but seriously, joke or not the intent is pretty much moot now. The public is making their minds up and really that is all that counts. It wouldn't be the first time someone in the public eye made a joke that backfired all over their career. So I'm not really that interested in the reason or anything else, meh it's late and I'm going to bed.

Maybe I'll check in to see how public opinion is weighing tomorrow, I have a perverted idea of fun I think :)

I hate to say this, but you are really not helping your case here. What you have failed to acknowledge in your reply, both at the alleged incident and in this thread, is that such "humor" is genuinely offensive to the EU community. Yes, such humor does exist and I believe that that you thought it a joke or even that it may have been funny. But PA is *not* the place and defending it certainly will not find sympathy on the forums. Please understand that EU is a very social environment and reputation is worth more in it that skills. I respect Magyars presumption to defend your actions, but please listen to him. He is putting his neck out defending you and if you fail to learn from his actions in this situation, then please, reconsider your choice to mentor, become a pirate, or play another game.

I hate to say this, but you are really not helping your case here. What you have failed to acknowledge in your reply, both at the alleged incident and in this thread, is that such "humor" is genuinely offensive to the EU community. Yes, such humor does exist and I believe that that you thought it a joke or even that it may have been funny. But PA is *not* the place and defending it certainly will not find sympathy on the forums. Please understand that EU is a very social environment and reputation is worth more in it that skills. I respect Magyars presumption to defend your actions, but please listen to him. He is putting his neck out defending you and if you fail to learn from his actions in this situation, then please, reconsider your choice to mentor, become a pirate, or play another game.

sounds like he said what many are actually doing.

All these "mentors" now all of a sudden have a friendly bone in there body, paragraphs to go with how they can help you.

When in reality they are just selling space in there disciple list. Most before this day could really care less about people in the game. These same people wouldn't speak up in twins to help players with problems ect ect. But you give them a reason (MONEY) to do so and now people start fighting to be the "best helper"

How about you all stop taking advantage of the system and actually help players to help players... CRAZY THOUGHT HUH

the game and people in it are from various levels of maturity, skill, economical background ect ect. Everyone plays it the way they want.

Its kinda strange the OP backed up the chat log to where it fit perfectly into his slander.

Here is something to think about, if you are a true mentor, you wouldn't come on here to blast another, instead you would have taken the time to actually help that player even though he isn't going to give you a reward.. Those people are special and should recieve reward.. all you out there blasting him... Your the problem.

New players need guidance and advice, you cannot know every aspect of the game, whats tasteful and whats not unless you've played the game for a long time or been taught the right way... and in that case you don't need a mentor!

We need to stop pushing away people and allienating them, Try helping for once. Help MA make there system work for its intended use.

Not to abuse it for the sake of personal gain.. Come on people. get with it =/

Back