FYI: Profit opportunities - a history lesson

Futurama

Elite
Society
Freelance
mike Futurama anderson
Greetings Entropians wanted to share some of the many, many profit opportunities that have been around during all these years. I started out in 2004, so it has been some time. I always have been a noob and also lazy, so I haven't been able (or didn't care that much) to use those opportunities to the fullest.

My activities that gave me a nice boost

I'll skip my start a bit, since there isn't anything good really (jester d-1 times). :tongue2:

Firstly there was the "opalo era". It lasted for quite a few years. I started out on small mobs - caudatergus and courndacaudas. I was breaking even without much problems, later on when i got a decent amplifier I moved up to argonauts which was on of the top hunted mobs by the regular folk. Iron was way more expensive than it is nowadays (probably because there was no foma and no mining amps) and with the new SIB opalo even the tt returns were very good.
But with this a big problem surfaced - double avatars. I don't know how extensively this was going on, but I remember a certain player (I won't name him/her, because I don't want to give bad rep to someone) who had hundreds of graduated disciples (if I remember his mentoring skills was somewhere between 150 and 200?). Ofc there were many real disciples, he was a good mentor to many. But he also was making many, many double avatars to graduate with opalo on argos in hopes of great ME prizes. The best he got was at least 1 foxtrot ME and FF RAR. But the opalo was so good and the skill prices (old system with 0.99 ped implant) were high, you could profit around 1k peds from 1 disciple (took around a week or so to finish).
Anyway back on topic with very limited funds I was able to skill up earn some and eventually sell a full rifle skill implant which was worth a few times more than it is today.

This leads to my second big thing - enmater mining. Amethera was quite new, lots of spaces to mine freely. I usually mined around Wolverine hope. Magerian had very good prices (200-300% i think, it climbed up to 500-600% at some point later on). This gave me decent profit runs, I even had a typo tower south from TI which I sold for 150% or so at the time.

Introduction of L items. At the time the new L items were far superior to old weapons. You could break even with Korss h400 (L) at 200% on a run basis. Later on I bought Imp korss and did an allophyl marathon which resulted with a 1-2k ped hof, ep41 drop and a nice profit in total. But ofc the best example that I have seen was one of the original adapted montgomery (L) crafted only in very limited limited numbers from an (L) bp. Even with the insane markup they had (anyone have a pic or something, can't remember the prices anymore) they were still very profitable.

Moving on to some more hunting. Feffoids were a very popular mob because of h400 drop, but since a lot of people were hunting them you could not get korss drop that often. In the meantime I tried killing bristlehogs (OA-stalkers, there was a nice LG area for them) which also dropped korss - by my surprise I could get a h400 drop on almost every (!!) global i had, together with some gremlin foots and harnesses in the middle. I figured since no one was really hunting bristles, I was the only one getting the drops from them?

Back to mining - It was a time of new materials, new areas. I was mining S/SE from oshiri - pearl sand was very good, lyta and typo were good. Later on solis became very popular, I used to mine it quite a lot on that desert plateau.

More hunting - One my favourite, but also extremely annoying mob was Ocolus. Its something similar as with bristles - atrox/argos dropped cb24s rarely, but Ocolus dropped them on practically every global, but very few people hunted them. @ 130-140% I coudn't complain, but it was a hard mob (no L thunderbird at that time) and a lot of fapping costs, teleports... I was really hoping for that cb24 UL discovery, but fluske beat me to it. I heard that they dropped quite a few bear shins, but weirdly with all the hunting I didn't get any.

Hunting, hunting, hunting - my alltime favourite mob - formidon. My EL profile it still says as my favourite mob, as it should be. I think many people can relate to this, that formidons were quite decent mobs - 1k hp and lr59 drops made it profitable. Sadly the spawns weren't the best. But with thick spawn, lr prices probably would have been lower. However this changed, when MA decided to greatly increase the minimal value at which an item drops (a percentage from max tt). I did hunt them before and also after VU 10, had a hof once too.

After VU 10 I did a lot of mining - solis OLA was very nice, together with other great materials it was profitable - even with 5%, even with 103-104s amps (depending on the prices ofc). Nowadays those materials are close to tt, sadly...

Weirdly I can fit Next Island here too. NI was the new home for medical compress, which crashed the market for it very hard after some time. You could get more blood moss than in pvp4 with no risk.

More recently - RT mining. A big thanks to Divinity and Bling for showing the energized cells/niksarium location, pyrite only pvp area. Afterwords both areas were nerfed - cells area now had a RT tt material and more oil/lyst than usual. While the lootable PVP area with pyrite was destroyed all together. Anyway, I still did some hell mining for durulium, some niks only mining and alternative/narc mining, and it has given me nice profits.

Also shinook area with redulite has been nice and profitable for me from time to time (depending on the prices, as usual).

Lastly but with a lot of gain - CLDs, I have greatly increased my value and my ped card with CLDs (many bought at 1000 and at the second MA sale as well).

Things I did not do (or did very little), but that existed

Repedge 1x0 axes had amazing eco (which was later realized and nerfed), high tt returns guaranteed. I did some hunting with them, but not much really.

IMK2 hunting - who could forget IMK2 hunting on longus on beenee's land which escalated even to the infamous hunting bots and banned avatars.

CND mining - when CND was quite new, the materials had decent markups it was profitable to mine there. At some point it even had unusually high tt returns.

Fungoid hunting - I think it was right after boar armor was introduced, when everyone suddenly started to hunt fungoids - loads and loads of boar parts were dropped.

EDIT:

Drones and gazz. Eco drone hunting.

There probably are a lot of things that I have forgotten here or didn't even know about. The conclusion from all of this - there are always opportunities around, you just have to find them. :wise:

Last edited:
U can add Vixenhunt to list also before the fkd up droprate.

Brillant post Futurama.

I agree the argo area off Twin mall, was the most popular place in old EU for so many players. I practically lived there a lot of the time. Running out from twin to the big hill, felt exciting. Lost count of the number of TP chips, paladen mask and those other decoration masks that were TT'd over time..lol.

The mixed spawn from young to hunter also made it realistic and entertaining. Sadly the young only spawn at twin now is a tad boring.

Brought a smile reading your post. Agree opportunites are out there, even for the little guy.

Rick

Probably one of the easiest way for me to profit was drone hunting when the gazz prices where good with a p4a(l)+a104. There where some times where the droprate for gazz was so good and the Markup high enough that you couldn't loose PED no matter what. :yay: However this got a lot more popular later on so the spawn got too crowded and the gazz prices too low. Especially since MA decided to make them extremely acessible by placing them right next to the TP in VU10+ ... what a stupid game design change. lool So as a result of that mistake they then even removed gazz from the drones... sigh but yeah for me there definitely was a drone era

With the traditional markup mobs of drones, argos and feffs all gone the only thing that keeps me playing every now and then these days is my 5 CLDs. Who knows maybe MindArk will allow a PP to release another one of these eventually, the Vixens are a recent example after all. However they where too low level for me to be enjoyable to hunt. :rolleyes:

Probably one of the easiest way for me to profit was drone hunting when the gazz prices where good with a p4a(l)+a104. There where some times where the droprate for gazz was so good and the Markup high enough that you couldn't loose PED no matter what. :yay: However this got a lot more popular later on so the spawn got too crowded and the gazz prices too low. Especially since MA decided to make them extremely acessible by placing them right next to the TP in VU10+ ... what a stupid game design change. lool So as a result of that mistake they then even removed gazz from the drones... sigh but yeah for me there definitely was a drone era

With the traditional markup mobs of drones, argos and feffs all gone the only thing that keeps me playing every now and then these days is my 5 CLDs. Who knows maybe MindArk will allow a PP to release another one of these eventually, the Vixens are a recent example after all. However they where too low level for me to be enjoyable to hunt. :rolleyes:

Yes, I forgot about the drones, I didn't hunt them much...

Most of these are Markup driven. I remember camping for Zand and Ado when zand was over 1k% and Ado was 400% and Val was over 165%. I made a killing there!.

And shinook when Duru and gazz and belk were all over 130%, duru was 180% at times.

But this was in the days of unenlightened avatars. Where the idea of average markup was a relatively unknown concept.

Now when there is markup, peeps camp it untill it drops to tt and then move on.

You have to adjust quickly nowadays, and often, to keep up with the dropping markups

Rgds

Ace

Most of these are Markup driven. I remember camping for Zand and Ado when zand was over 1k% and Ado was 400% and Val was over 165%. I made a killing there!.

And shinook when Duru and gazz and belk were all over 130%, duru was 180% at times.

But this was in the days of unenlightened avatars. Where the idea of average markup was a relatively unknown concept.

You have to adjust quickly nowadays, and often, to keep up with the dropping markups

Rgds

Ace

Ofc, they are markup driven mostly. There are cases of tt profits, but you have to remember that people have to lose tt value so that more deposits are made and MA can get their money.

heh,nice trip in memorylane :)

you really mised out on th eargohunting with axe01...eco of 5.21 orso..and all those laseramp drops
imade an killing when ma nerfed the laseramp-drops,since i never tt-ed any...

kors at 210% even indeed..and still making profit with them,unheard of now
blptech seling for 10k %
rifle for 5k%

old spawn of oculus+ sumima..oculus dropping more thne 10 bearshins for me...sold the first 1 i looted for 3k
sums droping rutuba(400%)and lr53 (170%)

then i also did formis with lr59 selling as high as 180-190%

enmatter mining i did for 2 years..fav spot also south/eastof oshiri + n/w of newswitzerland
pearlsand at 200%
lytha at 140
typo at 160 even when i had ath on it
that green stuff at 400%

scips with the hl8/hl11
spartacus backstrap at 400% orso
outputs at 400%
esis

god,the profit opportunitys were everywhere those days

btw: i was the first customer for the adapted anabolic montgomery..or anyway,thats what squall told me :)
and if i recollect it right,i bought some for me and my wife,and i payed around 1800 ped per gun

Last edited:

Rgds

Ace

yes,i never understood why so many players always on forum educated people to mine/hunt for markup..and thus killing th emarkets for themselfs

and if i recollect it right,i bought some for me and my wife,and i payed around 1800 ped per gun

Seems about right, I think there were only 2-3 crafted and sold at a bidwar in auc. And some time later another one was crafted from an L print, but that was it and a huge pause before the UL bp was dropped.

Nice post.

For me, in Opalo era it was all about the Gradivores. Free PEDs, even while paying LA tax. Best ever, I agree with you, Formidon in LR59-dropping era was amazing.

Those are two of my three best ever spells I think. Not quite ready to draw the line under the third, although it's heyday is certainly over ;)

I forgot to add that for a while I was crafting 8V gel batteries and geotrek buttstocks. The amounts weren't that high, but it was profitable.

Awesome post Futurama! Brought back some memories, I took advantage of a lot of those especially hunting feffs for korse and hunting formidon north of neas when there was an LA of them.

Gazz used to have a really good markup and used to be found on a little strip of land north of treasure Island that wasn't taxed. I remember trying to swim across the water there and get torn apart by the rippersnappers.

I forgot to add that for a while I was crafting 8V gel batteries and geotrek buttstocks. The amounts weren't that high, but it was profitable.

Don't know how long it lasted, I rarely craft, but wasn't there a spell when crafting low MU-ingredient blueprints for metal residue at ~150% was a nice earner?

Don't know how long it lasted, I rarely craft, but wasn't there a spell when crafting low MU-ingredient blueprints for metal residue at ~150% was a nice earner?

Yes, standard dampers were very popular and at one point residue was very expensive and it was profitable.

Brillant post Futurama.

I agree the argo area off Twin mall, was the most popular place in old EU for so many players. I practically lived there a lot of the time. Running out from twin to the big hill, felt exciting. Lost count of the number of TP chips, paladen mask and those other decoration masks that were TT'd over time..lol.

The mixed spawn from young to hunter also made it realistic and entertaining. Sadly the young only spawn at twin now is a tad boring.

Brought a smile reading your post. Agree opportunites are out there, even for the little guy.

Rick

Damn i remember that :') , where an argo hunter spawn was an extermination of all newbies around, i was really sad the days they removed this area :/

One of my favorite profit times was when the first tk320 were crafted from L prints. There wasn't many miners with the skills to use them at the time and even fewer with the peds to buy one (they sold for 10,000ped each!)

I got one and mined platinum (which was virtualy impossible to find with lower finder) @3000% and gold @1000% with the occasional ruga.

Made a hell of a nice profit until MA altered the mining system after Dub's ruga tower.

5 years ago you could breakeven/profit continuously with hunting small fouls for their bones. MU on bones was around 700% and you could do this with very little funds (like 45peds ammo /run). Eventually this was very very boring and I got sleepy while hunting them at aegis (best spawn without any other mob). It got me an UBER also :)

Nowadays there is a possibility to profit at even very micro scale. You can hunt Punny mobs for amps,guns and even a rocket launcher which have very high MU (since they go for lowest possible sell price which is 1ped at auction :silly2: ). And that is also very boring but can keep you playing and a sudden 6ped loot for a 5pec kill feels like a global :rolleyes:

Moving on to some more hunting. Feffoids were a very popular mob because of h400 drop, but since a lot of people were hunting them you could not get korss drop that often.

They had a korss in every global so I often got 5-7 korss a day while using 2-3 of them ....so you could loot them pretty often :)

Metal Residue at 150%? :eyecrazy:

Please send me back to this VU!

auto click were tier software and prohibited by MA :)

It was profit, but 0 fun

click, click, click...

They had a korss in every global so I often got 5-7 korss a day while using 2-3 of them ....so you could loot them pretty often :)

Oh yeah that was one of my best times here. Daily profit and even had a 1k hof once.

Good times!

I allways love nostalgia threads

Back in the days of 1 PED auction fee:
- My earlyest days were spent buying OA and enmatamps from crafters in bulk then listing them at slightly higher price in auction
- then i discovered auktumas shop somewhere in the world, OA109s for 600 PED, sold regularly for 999 in auction (still 1 PED fee)
- then it was New oxford gallery era. Bought "framed pictures" of some artist blokes NPC in New oxford for 140 PED and relisting them at 300 PED in auction for quick 16$ profit per pop

Ahh the good reselling days. So many stuff to resell at profit.

Then came my mining days. Along with some luck i found out that mining amethera yielded great profit. Narc at 176%, gazz 150%, belk, blau 140%, duru 160%, etc etc. You just couldnt lose there while mining when markup applied.
Sugar coating and adrenaline rush was ofc: Blood moss was around 4000% in markup and I know the 3-4 locations you could scrounge some in PVP4. I had a regular hit of 2-3 PED blood moss with around 30PED worth of probes dropped unamped...

Then I discovered miner drones which were full of - valurite and platinum. Valu rock was so high markup and so fat in TT that it alone would sell for 50ish ped, meaning making money was easy on those. Then everyone and their mother hit valu / platinum / binary towers and prices crashed to the dust

In those nice mining days I had moments of farming little molisk tooth and little foul bones. Which sold for ridiculous markup, so you couldnt lose on those :D

I stopped playing when nothing could sustain no loss scenario and cashed out. :yay:

I.

Metal Residue at 150%? :eyecrazy:

Please send me back to this VU!

Yesssss almost forgot that golden age. I remember clicking basic processor for like ages on AC ofc :ahh:

Basic sheet metal was also yummy. Of the great "autoclicker is illegal" days.

I.

I loved hunting argo behind twin-peaks mall ;)

Many esi and globals fairly often, they didn't feel the same after vu10 anymore tho.

There is still many profitable things to do in EU these days, you just have to look for them and be ready to jump on an opportunity if it comes your way... calytrek spirit mkI I posted today sold within seconds @ 175% bo price :eyecrazy: ... I'm still confused as to how this gun shot up to 180%+ daily/weekly mu :scratch2: ... anyhoo paid the mu on my next two L guns with it hehe

I loved hunting argo behind twin-peaks mall ;)

Many esi and globals fairly often, they didn't feel the same after vu10 anymore tho.

There is still many profitable things to do in EU these days, you just have to look for them and be ready to jump on an opportunity if it comes your way... calytrek spirit mkI I posted today sold within seconds @ 175% bo price :eyecrazy: ... I'm still confused as to how this gun shot up to 180%+ daily/weekly mu :scratch2: ... anyhoo paid the mu on my next two L guns with it hehe

Haha yep, I sold one last night @ 200% when there were none on there...200% :eyecrazy: lol

U can add Vixenhunt to list also before the fkd up droprate.

not only fkd up droprate...after that if you go on vixens is hard to reach 70% tt return on maturities that you can hunt with opalo...but the change in tt return it was when "vixen android gear" started drop only 1 again not like were seen for two months from 1 to 50 in one single drop..MA didn't like that one item to have 6000% MU...Now after 6 months we see MU @1000 :)...But this is a good example to show to other players how in 4 weeks a Mu from 6000% can be 200% or less....

Nah, mining is the only profitable thing you can do in entropia. And still it takes a bit of luck too.

auto click were tier software and prohibited by MA :)

It was profit, but 0 fun

click, click, click...

Heh, yeah. Only 80 %* of crafters used auto clickers. If they deny it, they were either in the 20 % or lying.

*80 % is a representation of a very large percentage, but maybe it was not exactly 80 %. Whatever it was, everyone was doing it (or QQing on the forums about those that did).

Back