Raising secondary skills

DarkAngel

Guardian
Society
Sterling & Moss
Sunlee DarkAngel Zarel
If you want to try and raise youre secondary hunting skills. Would it be best to raise several primary skills to an equal level (ex longblade, shortblade and powerfist for melee skills), skill on just one primary skill (ex longblade) or will the result be exactely the same?

:twocents: I am definitely not the voice of experience... - But I seemed to increase my Inflict Melee Damage at a very fast rate when I was using Powerfists and Longblades in equal measure.

Now I am using 90% longblade I have noticed a very definite slowdown in the increase of Inflict Melee Damage in particular.

However, I seem to be hardly getting any skill increase at all with Powerfist following the VU7.4 upgrade so it is hard to say conclusively that skilling in two weapon types in equal measures will result in better secondary skills development.

As far as I know switching to a different primary is not going to raise your secondaries any faster.

The best, fastest way to raise skills is to:

1) use a fast recharging weapon
2) use a decent sized weapon
3) hunt challenging mobs

Is a repedge 1x0 better for skills than a Solomate agressio? Well, the axe is slower, but the agressio is wimpy and will generate fewer kills per hour which also means fewer skill-loots (skills you gain when the mob dies, which Marco tells us are greater than regular skill checks)

having watched a friend start a new avatar i have noted 2 thing firstly the secondary skills are totaly whacked he has now 1700 longblade and 21 athletics (thats just wrong) and secondly yes the weapons size (dam) does affect the skillgain but considdering the reload time its still a matter of testing if say a katsuichi honor is better than pride or viceversa

Hally said:
he has now 1700 longblade and 21 athletics (thats just wrong)

:laugh: You serious?Thats really fucked up. Problem is that to many says "yay I gained a new rank in LB/HG/Rifles" etc when they get less skills per shot and less skills for peds spent

truantduck said:
(skills you gain when the mob dies, which Marco tells us are greater than regular skill checks)

By quite a bit it would seem. I occationally watch my level raise as I see the skillgain messages. Normal messages were giving the same gain, like 1/5 or 1/6 a bar. But I caught a skill bonus message after a kill and it gained about a full level and a quarter (@~2200 skill at least) from the one message.

Hally said:
having watched a friend start a new avatar i have noted 2 thing firstly the secondary skills are totaly whacked he has now 1700 longblade and 21 athletics (thats just wrong) and secondly yes the weapons size (dam) does affect the skillgain but considdering the reload time its still a matter of testing if say a katsuichi honor is better than pride or viceversa

It is about adapting.
I guess that MA want's it to be harder to raise athletics and other skills, and that seems fine for me. They made it much easier to gain many primary skills and took away skillbarrieres.

/Kjetil :cool:

Machman said:
However, I seem to be hardly getting any skill increase at all with Powerfist following the VU7.4 upgrade so it is hard to say conclusively that skilling in two weapon types in equal measures will result in better secondary skills development.

yep, i gave away my pfists - was getting 1-2 skills in about 60-80 hits lol
before it would give skillslike crasy. did not try "high" damage fists at all though.

can anyone post if "high amage" fists gove good skills? (oppps almost posted it with "god" instead of "good" :eek: )

Hally said:
the secondary skills are totaly whacked he has now 1700 longblade and 21 athletics (thats just wrong)

As far as I know the best way to raise the athletics skill is by evading, not by slicing.

truantduck said:
As far as I know the best way to raise the athletics skill is by evading, not by slicing.

na, chipping is way easier and faster (cheaper prolly too)

thats why im gonna get an full implant soonish

(imagine, i got only 3XX levels in alertness, athletics after almost a year playing)

While i havnt tried to see how much skills you get when you successfully evade small mobs.. i found that when i sucessfully evade mobs like atrox guardian and above and spiders i only need to succeed 3-4 times per level..

I ran across some other noob players who were surprised to notice they get nearly a full level every time they successfully evade one.

Me i have taken up spending my days at that remote outpost west of troy near the bot flagship. skilling my evade, athletics, courage, combat reflexes, alertness and such on the trox/spiders thant hang out in that area. i do this at the times when i am very low on ped and ammo.. the only drawback is it has a successrate equivlent to trying to sweat... so it takes a long time just to get a handfull of levels..
if i get bored of skilling evade i go east instead and skill dodge on the bots.

The location of the SC makes it very convienient.. get killed, and run back to dance with the trox some more.. even been able to come up with ways to significantly prolong being killed by the trox and increase my chances for more evade by making it run in circles.

On a side note.. if you see me there and are trapped i would be happy to show you the best way to get out and if needed clear a path so you can get to the ocean. Also if ya see me there plase dont heal me unless you are doing it for skills cuz im just gonna go get killed again right away.. :)

I still unfortunitely i dont have as much luck making the spiders run in circles.. (but i will figure it out eventually)

Kay-T said:
I still unfortunitely i dont have as much luck making the spiders run in circles.. (but i will figure it out eventually)

thats the spirit! rep your way

That actually is a pretty good idea, there's at least one place on Ametheria where you could drag a Falanx to a RT and not have a turret take it out, if it gives skills anything like the old atroxs and spiders that would be an even easier way to skill evade.

Pretender said:

(imagine, i got only 3XX levels in alertness, athletics after almost a year playing)

Strange, I played for half a year and got over 1k in both without chipping.

Pretender said:

Chipping is a great way to do those things and I think there are enough skills available in the market atm, so no need for MA to speed up gain in those secondary skills.

Well now there isnt a slowdown anymore at the 3k barrier in handgun or rifle if you hunt big things with big guns. But it seems like all the secondary skills are going by the old system, by pr shots fired, not the bonus system where you get skills depending on what mob you hunt/gun you use. This is just a theory, but it seems like it. Atm I need to shoot 200ped ammo away to raise one point up on IRD, and its at the 3k barrier. 200ped ammo on my 2930ME = 1666 shots. so 1 point on 1666 shots. Ill check if I get same result with 1666 shots with mann mph on exarosaur.

Skam said:
WBut it seems like all the secondary skills are going by the old system, by pr shots fired

Oh no,its way slower than the old system.I got 3-4aim per 500ped hunt before the nerfs and now I get barely 1 on same amount of shots fired

you're not at a skill barrier for ird. it slow like that all the way.
Skam said:
Well now there isnt a slowdown anymore at the 3k barrier in handgun or rifle if you hunt big things with big guns. But it seems like all the secondary skills are going by the old system, by pr shots fired, not the bonus system where you get skills depending on what mob you hunt/gun you use. This is just a theory, but it seems like it. Atm I need to shoot 200ped ammo away to raise one point up on IRD, and its at the 3k barrier. 200ped ammo on my 2930ME = 1666 shots. so 1 point on 1666 shots. Ill check if I get same result with 1666 shots with mann mph on exarosaur.

Moser said:
you're not at a skill barrier for ird. it slow like that all the way.

crap, there goes that theory :(

Thank you to all those who have posted :)

Nostrop said:
Depends on what result you want.

Well, I would sure like to raise my HP, but also secondary melee skills to help unlock new skills.

truantduck said:
3) hunt challenging mobs

Is this true anymore? Now a lot of the gains come from actually killing the mob. With easier mobs you can kill more mobs faster.

Sunlee

Talking about secondary skill gains ...

what i would be interested in, is how they compare in the current state to what they've been before (like "ages ago") ...

here's a small excerpt of my current skills:

- Handgun 928
- Rifle 1148

- Aim 402
- Inflict Ranged Damage 491
- Weapons Handling 572

- Alertness 227
- Athletics 424
- Bravado 838
- Courage 845
- Dexterity 540
- Perception 497

- Dodge 27
- Evade 556

i also have 2812 in Longblades right now (i'm mainly skilling LB on RipperSnappers atm :laugh: )

well, i know i got noob skills, i've just recently started to get serious with this game ... i would be really interested though how the skills would look like with the "old skilling system", whatever that was ... maybe some older players can give a hint or two?

Shadow Fusion

I was wondering the same thing.

I posted my skills from a year ago along side Fusions. I wish my Primary skills were more comparable, but this is the closest I could find. Maybe someone else has some old data with better matching Primary skills.

- Longblades 2812 - 263
- Handgun 928 - 2231
- Rifle 1148 - 962

- Aim 402 - 3286
- Inflict Ranged Damage 491 - 2262
- Weapons Handling 572 - 3009

- Alertness 227 - 461
- Athletics 424 - 517
- Bravado 838 - 105
- Courage 845 - 2164
- Dexterity 540 - 2026
- Perception 497 - 1979

- Dodge 27 - 108
- Evade 556 - 498

Btw, this is all pure hunting, no fap skilling.

One problem with comparing these skills is that my Handgun is so much higher, and Handgun hunting always seemed to give alot more secondary skills.

Extent said:
That actually is a pretty good idea, there's at least one place on Ametheria where you could drag a Falanx to a RT and not have a turret take it out
yeah, its called GENESIS :laugh:

Well, I played for almost 2 yrs solid, Aug 2003 to May 2005, and I have noticed that the gains for secondary skills are non-existant. Ive hit 1500 in rifle and only have 360 in aim? That doesnt seem right.

On my previous character, I remember skilling for weeks to go from 990 to 1000 and my secondary skills were only lagging by about 100 points behind. When I quit, I had 2500 in rifle and about 1800 in aim....

Personally I think MA is slowing down the skillgains to promote more hunting, thus increasing amount of ammo used. So more ammo is now required for the same skillgain, doesnt seem fair, but MA keeps telling us that in this "game", a persistant hunter will be rewarded...dno't know if that is even true anymore.

Grykk said:
Well, I played for almost 2 yrs solid, Aug 2003 to May 2005, and I have noticed that the gains for secondary skills are non-existant. Ive hit 1500 in rifle and only have 360 in aim? That doesnt seem right.

On my previous character, I remember skilling for weeks to go from 990 to 1000 and my secondary skills were only lagging by about 100 points behind. When I quit, I had 2500 in rifle and about 1800 in aim....

Personally I think MA is slowing down the skillgains to promote more hunting, thus increasing amount of ammo used. So more ammo is now required for the same skillgain, doesnt seem fair, but MA keeps telling us that in this "game", a persistant hunter will be rewarded...dno't know if that is even true anymore.

Now ppl can skill up to 2k in rifle in a few days. Ppl couldn't do that before.
It is good that secondary skills don't raise equal fast. No matter how many years ppl are ingame if they don't spend time hunting. It will take time to reach secondary skills. If ppl don't have patience, they can buy skills on the market.

Kjetil said:
Now ppl can skill up to 2k in rifle in a few days. Ppl couldn't do that before.
It is good that secondary skills don't raise equal fast. No matter how many years ppl are ingame if they don't spend time hunting. It will take time to reach secondary skills. If ppl don't have patience, they can buy skills on the market.

But its some of the secondary skills that raises HP the most,so it seems like its trickier to get hp now

Knuckles said:
But its some of the secondary skills that raises HP the most,so it seems like its trickier to get hp now

Yes, PE is not ment to be easy. :D
If it was, ppl would have 1k hp now. What fun would that be? ;)

Grykk said:
MA keeps telling us that in this "game", a persistant hunter will be rewarded...dno't know if that is even true anymore.

Yeah thats a pretty good question! I just think about powerfists and shortblades. Where, pointing on the lousy gain of general skills, is the reason we should use them anymore ? Thats just one example. I dont feel rewarded by skilling more than one profession, its just you have to start over with a new profession you suck in because you have a leak of skills.

There is no real reward for it ! :(

Helius said:
I was wondering the same thing.

I posted my skills from a year ago along side Fusions. I wish my Primary skills were more comparable, but this is the closest I could find.
Thanks Helius, I think the skills you posted are quite excellent for comparing the skill gains from earlier to now :)

Helius said:
- Handgun 928 - 2231
- Rifle 1148 - 962

- Aim 402 - 3286
- Inflict Ranged Damage 491 - 2262
- Weapons Handling 572 - 3009
Here you can see quite a difference already:

If you combine the rifle and handgun skills you get 2076 (3193); from there the secondary skills are the following fractions of that:

- Aim 0.19 (1.03)
- IRD 0.24 (0.71)
- WH 0.28 (0.94)

As you can see there's actually a huge difference ... where I have less than one fifth in Aim than in my combined primary ranged skills, you actually had even a little more Aim compared to them ... and quite a huge difference in the other skills too.

The great thing is that I'm not really using rifles right now, mainly handguns ... will be quite interesting to see how these numbers will look once I reach around 2000 in HG :)

The rest compares quite nicely already I think, ... so I made two more :)

Helius said:
- Longblades 2812 - 263
- Handgun 928 - 2231
- Rifle 1148 - 962

- Bravado 838 - 105
- Courage 845 - 2164
- LB + HG + Rifle adds up to: 4888 - 3456
- Bravado + Courage adds up to: 1683 - 2269

Which means 0.34 and 0.66 for fractions - an indication that Courage and Bravado raise at around half the speed now than they did.

Helius said:
- Dodge 27 - 108
- Evade 556 - 498

- Alertness 227 - 461
- Athletics 424 - 517
- Dodge + Evade adds up to: 583 - 606
- Alertness + Athletics adds up to: 651 - 978

Again for fractions that is 1.12 and 1.61 - not a huge difference like the combat primary/secondary skills, but still quite noticeable ...

Helius said:
Btw, this is all pure hunting, no fap skilling.
Yes, same here ... so maybe someone can borrow me a really good fap for a couple of days :silly2: :laugh:

The next question to answer now though, is how to actually best skill with this system in order to gain good secondary skills (focus on one area, do all kinds of stuff, weapons, mobs, etc...?) ... I've got no idea right now, but hopefully me or someone else will find out :)

Back