Reliable ISP in UK

GeorgeSkywalker

Mutated
Society
Freelancer
George Ace Skywalker
My Internet Service Provider (ISP) seems to be going down the drain. It's been fine the last few years but recently a few weeks ago it started to lag intermittently and seems to get worse each day. The length of lag periods seems to be increasing as well as frequency of these lag events! Needless to say when it starts lagging EU becomes unplayable and can be quite costly if your hunting a big mob as your likely to die from mob hits and your not firing back or firing extremely slowly like one shot every 30 seconds or so or even longer if at all.

So if your in the UK could you please recommend a good ISP? one that's reliable and fast internet connection as well as decently priced.
Which one are you with? and what's it like?

That's interesting because I'm with NOWtv which I think is a subsidiary of Sky!

Yeah it is..

I get 80mbps…

It is So hit an miss.. I don’t understand why, our friends few roads over are on the same, but claim to get 15mbps and always lose connection. They also pay more than double what we pay …

Last edited:
Would appreciate more input on this.

Can you get full fibre to the property?

Last edited:
where are you in the uk ?

i travel around the south of the uk in my van and play EU tethered to my mobile phone, 8 years ago i lived in nigeria and played EU on a 3G dongle and had no issues, I suspect something else is wrong, EU uses no bandwidth and works with a ping below 50

I'm in yorkshire.

I've tried using a third party DNS service now and that's improved things a lot. Although when I point over radar and check latency it can still go over 50 msec, usually been below 50 msec. When it did go over 50 msec it was still playable now with this DNS service. Went as high as 177 msec at one time and was still playable although it "stuttered" when shooting at one moment but nothing like before when I couldn't shoot.

It could be that in the summer holidays when schools are closed here all ISPs have issues.

I use Hyperoptic's 1gbps fibre service, excellent but unfortunately limited to few areas in central London. Location limits what's available. Without knowing where you are, you should first check what BT is offering in your area, because the majority of alternative ADSL providers would use BT Openreach network anyway. That would set your max achievable performance, Then you could check uswitch.com or other comparison sites, for pricing and customer service reviews. In my experience, when things work well, BT is fine, but their customer service has always been "patchy" at best. That said, other carriers with their own network, like Sky and Talk Talk are worse. If you are covered by Virgin Media fibre, I'd go with them, even if their customer service is not great either. If you are in a rural area, probably your best solution would be to use a local small provider reselling/rebranding BT (Openreach) network.

Based on your last post, I would also suggets that regardless of the ISP you choose, you should never use their DNS servers. Like emails, that's not their business. Just use Cloudfare, here a page, which might help:

Last edited:
In first place it is a question of the infrastructure you got.
If you are the last one of a long number of users at the very end of your long street using last century's copper wires, then changing to another ISP using the same old infrastructure wont help much.
Get Fibre To The Home (FTTH) and then you are all good and prepared for all the data traffic that might occur for the next 40 years.
Optical fibre providing 1GB/s bandwidth is just the start of the fibre's potential.
Prepare to get a new router every couple of years that can handle the optical fibre's ever increasing bandwidth potential. 1GB/s, then 10GB/s, 100GB/s....

Today 300-400TERAbit/s are already possible with optical fibres. Just not realised for the end user yet...

Last edited:
Whenever I get bad latency issues (south east England), I first delete all temp files especially those relating to DirectX Shader Cache, delivery optimization and temp internet files. That and usually a relog end everything settles down. If it doesn't then try a speedtest and check your times for your current server centre and other local internet centres, then select the best, as sometimes the lag is created when they are undergoing maintenance.
I am currently at Mothers on cable (copper)n with Virgin which is mostly ok. But when at home I have full fibre with Virgin and have the higher speed option for just a couple of pounds a month more

Is the US, so I can't help on that front, but I do have an example being from a very rural area. Before we finally went with our current ISP here, we had wired "high-speed" (advertised as such in the mid-2000s) that was supposed to be around 3 Mpbs, but it was often 0.5 - 1.5. Downloading anything took forever, and many pages would just time out by the 2010s. Part of it was that it was just old copper wire out in the country. That said, as long as EU was downloaded, I rarely if ever had connection issues, stuttering, etc. EU was actually more reliable than any web-based games or ones that used more data. Even when our ISP was obviously congested around 0.5 speed, EU still ran like nothing was wrong. Pings were usually around 100 then and working fine, and it was rare I was logged out on a disconnect while overnight crafting.

So for most people I just like to reiterate that your download/upload speed is rarely going to be the issue. If my old rural internet was fine with EU, something definitely seems to be out of the orindary with yours. As others have been mentioning, it may be a question of how old in the infrastructure is.

When I was still in Scotland I used BT. Always got a good deal, was very fast fibre and support was great. Never had any disconnections.

The best ISP in my country is PTCL. It provides more than 10 MBPS Speed with unlimited data and Smart TV Services also.

I'm in West Sussex

Currently using BT Halo 3+ offering 36-40mbps and I receive a steady 38mbps. I've recently found BT to be very good with their support. Full fibre is due to be connected here within 3 months and I'll switch over when available. Can't complain but BT is overpriced imo, as we pay £68 pm for our complete package.

My Internet Service Provider (ISP) seems to be going down the drain. It's been fine the last few years but recently a few weeks ago it started to lag intermittently and seems to get worse each day. The length of lag periods seems to be increasing as well as frequency of these lag events! Needless to say when it starts lagging EU becomes unplayable and can be quite costly if your hunting a big mob as your likely to die from mob hits and your not firing back or firing extremely slowly like one shot every 30 seconds or so or even longer if at all.

So if your in the UK could you please recommend a good ISP? one that's reliable and fast internet connection as well as decently priced.
Which one are you with? and what's it like?
I'm with BT and have their 'Fibre 1' b/band package. Have had no probs at all and have numerous devices connected to their wi-fi router. Cost is approx 27gbp pm down from approx 36gbp about a month ago.

Scotland atm using Plusnet 0 issues! I personaly swicth when ever my contract runs out. At the end of the day its the same cables controlled by BT.... So far i had worst experience with Talk talk .

I just moved to Community fibre
Got about 2gb which is way to fast in my opinion 😅

Edit: just saw your in Yorkshire. So not helpful..sorry

I just moved to Community fibre
Got about 2gb which is way to fast in my opinion 😅

Edit: just saw your in Yorkshire. So not helpful..sorry
Faster the better, 2gb download speed is good!

Back