Question: Skill Increase Bonus from Scopes/Sights

PkmX

Stalker
Society
Art of Mining
PkmX
Has anyone done any experiments regarding the "skill bonus" of scopes and sights? IIUC they are supposed to increase the skills gained from hunting, but how much do they actually increase and is it worth the extra decay?

AFAIK the tests I could found were either rather old or inconclusive. If anybody could share some recent data it would be much appreciated.

If I understood the old tests right, they added the skill for the extra decay you pay for them.
Dunno if that changed, would be interested to see some new tests ;)

Pecka

If I understood the old tests right, they added the skill for the extra decay you pay for them.
Dunno if that changed, would be interested to see some new tests ;)

Pecka

If that is correct, it is like buying skills at TT?

What about some new Arkadian attachments with higher skill bonus/decay stats? IIRC most older scopes and sights are balanced around 20 skill bonus per PEC (table here), but the "Headshot 1" scope from Arkadia gives 1.1 skill bonus with 0.023 PEC decay (~47.83 skill bonus/PEC).

If that is correct, it is like buying skills at TT?

What about some new Arkadian attachments with higher skill bonus/decay stats? IIRC most older scopes and sights are balanced around 20 skill bonus per PEC (table here), but the "Headshot 1" scope from Arkadia gives 1.1 skill bonus with 0.023 PEC decay (~47.83 skill bonus/PEC).

I think the problem is that we don't really know what that "skill bonus" value is. Is it a percentage? a multiplier? A number bound to some other metric? Is it related to the decay? yes, no? who knows... And all the tests have shown that it's the added decay what matters the most, that little number looks like some unimplemented feature they had in mind but never made it to release.

Ingame you get a little explanation if you put your mouse over it, but it doesn't help that much.

Unless some new discovery has been made it was always like this: You use scopes/sights, the higher the decay the more skills you will get. Efectively lowering your eco if you don't count skills gained as return. The skill bonus thing?... meaningless probably.

Who knows, maybe now with all the skill boosts around they can finally fix them.

Last edited:
I recently bought a bullseye 8 and am interested in knowing this too. I've been playing for 7 years or so and have never really used scopes/sights. Now, when i bought it i thought that the "skill bonus" of 1.7 would mean 1.7x the skills gained from using that weapon. I also thought the skill mod of 24 would mean 24% higher "aim" skills, however this does not visually increase the hit rate of the weapon on the stats which i found odd. Does the skill mod decrease the "evade" hits from mobs? :scratch2:

I recently bought a bullseye 8 and am interested in knowing this too. I've been playing for 7 years or so and have never really used scopes/sights. Now, when i bought it i thought that the "skill bonus" of 1.7 would mean 1.7x the skills gained from using that weapon. I also thought the skill mod of 24 would mean 24% higher "aim" skills, however this does not visually increase the hit rate of the weapon on the stats which i found odd. Does the skill mod decrease the "evade" hits from mobs? :scratch2:

Old tests proven the hit rate is increased on un-maxed weapons. After the weapon is maxed you won't gain any extra hit rate.

I think the problem is that we don't really know what that "skill bonus" value is. Is it a percentage? a multiplier? A number bound to some other metric? Is it related to the decay? yes, no? who knows... And all the tests have shown that it's the added decay what matters the most, that little number looks like some unimplemented feature they had in mind but never made it to release.

Ingame you get a little explanation if you put your mouse over it, but it doesn't help that much.

Unless some new discovery has been made it was always like this: You use scopes/sights, the higher the decay the more skills you will get. Efectively lowering your eco if you don't count skills gained as return. The skill bonus thing?... meaningless probably.

Who knows, maybe now with all the skill boosts around they can finally fix them.

Yep, that is what I remember, it's just added skill gain from the TT decay.

Also as mentioned above, it does increase your hit rate on un-maxed weapons ^^

But god knows now, the tests were done several years ago :)

Hence why I'm asking if someone has done any experiments on those. This should be quite easy to do: record skills in TT value before and after a hunt. Do this for a couple runs on the same mobs using the same weapon with and without attachments alternatively until the required sample size is reached. Then, calculate the skills gained in TT per 1K PED spent and see if there is a significant difference between two setups. Although it is probably a bit harder now given that we now also gain random skill bonuses in the middle of hunting.

Old tests proven the hit rate is increased on un-maxed weapons. After the weapon is maxed you won't gain any extra hit rate.

This part appears to be true from the tests I've seen, and it is a quite noticeable increase in hit rate as well. This is also why I'm only interested in the skill bonus: since I only use maxed weapons, the skill mod is irrelevant for me.

I was very much into attachments in my time through skilling up to lv50 Hit. However I have since reflected that these attachments are unwarranted if maxed and reduced overall dpp. Even if skills in TT were gained from TT Decay skills being near worthless is there any point skilling with these nowadays?

Okay so it is obvious that it does affect hit ability on unmaxed weapons. I am 9.1/10 on a weapon and without the bullseye 8 i get quite a few "miss" hits, maybe 1/10-20 shots. With the sight i do not get ANY miss at all. This makes a great way to use unmaxed weapons at the least, wait until 8/10 and slap on a sight for no lost shots.

Okay so it is obvious that it does affect hit ability on unmaxed weapons. I am 9.1/10 on a weapon and without the bullseye 8 i get quite a few "miss" hits, maybe 1/10-20 shots. With the sight i do not get ANY miss at all. This makes a great way to use unmaxed weapons at the least, wait until 8/10 and slap on a sight for no lost shots.

Indeed. Back in Daisy's Rockstars PK days she used scopes and lasers for exactly this reason to increase hit and what we thought was the crit rate as well. Seemed to help a hell of allot when compared to not having had them on.

The skill increase amount decreases once you are no longer at the maximum distance.
This is mentioned in the description of the scopes.

I used scopes pre cashout (hunnir/jzar) in 2008 and when I came back in 2012 with about 15k skills leftover I started using day one, mostly for the added skill bonus/faster skilling.

Currently my hit is 79 and my damage is 74, though it was a bit more of a spread pre-commando (nearly a 9 level gap..hit on top).

Compared to many , without using sights/scopes their hit was generally lower than damage in the 60's and so they don't have commando for quite some time. I am well into commando now, and I am pretty sure the scopes/laser bonus is the primary reason.

I believe the scopes and lasers to have saved me months of skilling and probably over 100 k ped cycled toward commando alone, due to the increased skill bonus toward hit since prof 6 or something.

But I have only compared to a few avatars around the time I hit commando, who didn't use attachments. So it is hard to verify for certain just how much benefit.

Also remember to not confuse:

Attachment bonus is one thing(boosts skills (mostly hit related), via scopes and lasers),
0/10 hit 0/10 dmg is another. (modified via enhancers, not scopes and lasers)

It may boost the rates a small % but negligible I think.

Last edited:
Back