Info: Skill Points are weird.

Katie Chalmers

Stalker
Katie Chalmers
OK. So we have all heard phrase "Each skill point is worth more than the one before it", many of us teach this to our disciples, and on the macro level this is correct. But lets look a bit deeper.

After reviewing logs of skill gains and playing around with the skill calculator on the wiki, it actually appears that raw skill TT value is a little cyclic. I have mocked up a quick graph to illustrate my findings. The following shows the relative gain in skill level that a 0.5TT implant would provide, at varying base skill levels.
Edit: Reuploaded image to comply with forum rules. I dunno how to make it work properly :poop:

Using this data we can come to the following conclusions:
1. At the peaks, Skill gain is more rapid, and each skill point has low relative TT value
2. At the valleys, Skill gain is at it slowest, and each point is worth the most
3. The frequency of these skill waves is exactly 500 points and appears to follow a set pattern

Does this give us any advantage?
Overall, I think not really, everything averages out over time but this might be interesting for people who are chipping in/out or picking codex rewards in order to achieve a certain goal. You will get much more bang for your buck in the short term if you perform these actions at very specific points along your skill line. But like I said, long term it would be a self balancing system.

Anyway, a bit of a pointless discovery, and if this is already common knowledge then I guess I just am showing some naivety. But I haven't seen this discussed before.

I would like to hear peoples opinions on this. What does it mean? Why is it coded this way? Is there some fatal flaw in my workings?

Last edited:
It is important for those who chip for faster leveling.
Regardless of the value of the points, they are always from 0 to 100 for this level, from which raising a profession is faster. I.e in a wave the current level will goes faster than if is in the bottom of the wave, where the points are expensive.
For those who do not chip, it does not matter, because the absorption of points is through a buffer and there will always be lagging skills.

The system balances and distributes skills through a buffer per hour. So if someone has decided to spend money, it would be wiser to skip the bottom point, where the skill is slower. In all cases TT of the skill in the end will have same value, but the leveling are different.

These are my studies, on which I rather focus on the Attribute Points of a mob, but there are still points of contact with this topic.

It seems like using skill pills for a certain skill is better at the peaks. This sounds like an advantage.

It seems like using skill pills for a certain skill is better at the peaks. This sounds like an advantage.

In my understanding: No.

You take skill pill at the bottom, and take the implant / codex reward at the peak.

There are several skills in a profession, depending on the number of skills at the bottom, the progress for the level decreases dramatically. That is why I think it is much better to skip this low level. Through a codex like you said, or implant for the skills that are not in the reward.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter because it averages out. If you want to progress you have to break through each of the small walls in the progression.

The ped value of skill is like the "experience" you gain in a game, but the skill levels are based on some amount of experience needed to achieve it. Using skill pills at different parts of the skills vs experience function (valley vs trough) will net you the same amount of ped of skill, so it doesn't matter, you will gain just as much experience.

Short term, it might be helpful, to understand which skills will give more impact for that snapshot in time/skill levels if you are for example taking codex rewards. jedgre's calculator (https://jdegre.net/pe/unlocker.php) includes this "wave" characteristic in their calculator, so it is accurate, at least up until 10k skills or so, where I find their calculator no longer has this but it still exists in reality, so it becomes less accurate...

Thanks for the feedback friends. I cant shake my gut-feelings about the whole matter. Besides Ive done deals with him before. Expensive items and in bulk. I was woefully underpaid and many have warned me about the person. At the end of the day, its my own stupidity to even make use of the man. Personal responsibility and all that.
I think you meant to reply into your own thread. :D But welcome.

Last edited:
Back