Info: Taming: The Complete System

JohnCapital

Slayer
Society
Freelancer
John Teacher Capital
My gift for MA.

Here's how the taming system should be, based on my own personal opinion.

How To Tame
  • Most land or flying mobs can be tamed. Not fish, robots, special event mobs, nor any others specifically set by MA.
  • Taming is done strictly with whips.
  • If a mobs HP is taken down completely with a whip, it's tamed, and becomes a pet.
  • When a mob is tamed, it still loots.
  • Any damage done with any other weapon completely negates the ability to tame that mob.
  • This negation of being tamable lasts forever for that specific mob, even if the mob regens to full health, and even if it's removed from all player's radar (unless technical reasons exist why this permanent flag is impossible.)

Team Taming
  • Team taming is possible by using a team all using whips.
  • The person that does most damage gets the pet.
  • Only the most dmg Ava needs to have the required skill level.
  • If they don't, the taming fails.
  • Loot is divided using the established loot rules for that team.

Whips
  • Whips are weapons.
  • Almost exclusively crafted.
  • Mostly (L).
  • More powerful whips require higher Whipper (hit) and Whipper (dmg) professions, just like any other SIB weapon.

When Tamed
  • When a mob is tamed, it has 0 TT.
  • Label reads: Pet ([mob name maturity]) {2nd line} [Full owner's name]
Example:
Pet (Snablesnot-male Young)
John Teacher Capital
  • Upon taming, it remains docile for 1 minute.
  • It can be fed during this time.
  • The pet can also be picked up, placed in personal inventory.
  • If not fed or picked up in 1 minute, the pet is automatically recalled to personal inventory.

Pet Deed
  • Pet deed weight: 5kg
  • Label follows above protocol.
  • They are tradeable/salable.

TT Value & Feeding
  • All pets have max TT value of untamed health/5.
  • Health is restored by nutrio bars. 1/1 ratio of TT value for bar/health.
  • To feed a pet (increase TT value) summon it and drag/drop nutrio bars to pet, just like placing oil into vehicle.
  • TT is expended by movement, riding and attacking. (See below for costs.)

Summoning
  • A pet can be summoned, meaning it appears on the ground by the owner, like a vehicle.
  • Pet must be in personal inventory to be able to do this.
  • 0 TT pets can be summoned for only 1 minute before they move back into inventory.
  • Summoned pets can be walked through. They do not block players.
  • Skill limitations to max. number of summoned pets. See below.

Skill Limitations
  • Player can only tame a mob whose L number is equal to, or lower than their Animal Tamer profession.
  • If trying to tame a mob above their level, they will get a "Taming failed. Creature is too powerful for you to tame yet" message. Mob will simply be looted and disappear as normal.
  • Player can only simultaneously control 1 summoned mob per 20 levels of their Pet Handler profession. (I.E. Level 45 can only have 2 pets running around at once.)

Attachments
Certain attachments are available for pets. All attachments are crafted.

Saddle(C,L)
  • Saddles allow player to ride a pet.
  • Saddles are colorable.
  • Saddles are (L), decaying every time a rider mounts. However, the decay is very small, (0.001 ped) allowing saddles to last a very long time.
  • There is only 1 type of saddle.
  • Each planet has a BP which uses "local" materials to craft. each of these BPs crafts the same saddle.

Animal pack
  • An Animal pack is a storage compartment that must be attached to a pet for it to work.
  • If it's not attached, it can't be opened, even if there is stuff in it.
  • There are different levels of packs, the higher ones holding more items and heavier weight.
  • The largest level pack a pet can use is determined by that creature's strength/20. (I.E. 87 Strength can use up to level 4 animal pack.)
  • They are not visible, so are not colorable, etc.
  • They are UL. They do not decay with use.

Weapons
  • Different craftable weapons are available.
  • These weapon are PVP only.
  • They are very powerful, long range, but slow. This compensates for the pets vulnerability in PVP.
  • They are most often (L).
  • They are useable only when pet is being ridden.
  • Weapons can be controlled by rider or passenger.
  • If controlled by rider, they are fixed forward, aimed by turning pet, just like a ava's weapon.
  • If controlled by passenger, they can aim it independent of movement.

Armor
  • Different pet armor is available.
  • It is only 1-piece, as opposed to our 7 pieces.
  • they are mostly (L).
  • All plates can be used on pet armor.

Banner
  • Banners allow a third line on the label when summoned.
  • This part of the label is altered by the owner.
  • Max 45 characters.
  • They are (L), decaying 1 pec each time the text is altered.

Movement
  • Summoned pets are initially stationary.
  • If triggered, they move with their owner, as if on auto-follow.
  • They remain in the field until recalled.
  • Owner must be on the same planet to recall.
  • If pet is on radar, pet goes to personal inventory.
  • If not, it moves to storage.
  • Cost of movement is mob Agility km=1 pec TT. (I.E. 17 agility = move 17km for 1 pec)

Riding
  • A summoned pet with a saddle can be ridden.
  • Movement controls are exactly like vehicle controls.
  • Flying pets (I.E. Hiryuu) can not enter space.
  • The rider's weight a pet can carry is determined by the pets strength times 10. (Correct, very small mobs will never be able to have a rider.)
  • The pets speed is the same as when it was a regular creature.

Passengers
  • Pets can carry passengers.
  • The formula for max. # of passengers is (Stamina-100)/100. (I.E. mob Stamina of 230 can carry 1 passenger.)
  • Strength weight restriction applies per passenger.
  • Extra saddle must be attached per passenger.
  • Passenger saddle may need to be attached to main saddle due to attachment coding issues, like how 2nd gun laser sight is actually attached to scope.
  • Subsequent saddles are attached to previous saddle.

Attacking
  • Pets can be commanded to attack other mobs or players.
  • Pets can only attack other players in PVP areas.
  • When triggered, they attack the mob/player targeted by owner.
  • If no mob/player is targeted, pet attacks nearest target.
  • Attack damage is original mob damage per type/2 (I.E. if mob did max. 40 cold+30 impact, the pet does 20 cold+15 impact). Min. 1 dmg per original dmg type.
  • Attack distance/speed is the same as original mob.
  • Their hit chance against mobs are the same as a maxed weaopn.
  • Their hit chance against PVP players factor in the targets evade/dodge skill (whichever is appropriate).
  • Attacking costs are an eco of 2.80 for every pet. (Their regular attack, not the eco of the PVP weapon attachments)
  • 0 TT pets can't attack.

Being Attacked
  • Pets can be targeted by mobs/PVP players.
  • Pet health is original mob health/10. Min. 1 health.
  • If pets/owner/others are simultaneously attacking a mob, the mobs agro follows regular rules of determining which to attack.
  • Regular armor rules apply if pet is wearing armor.
  • Pets can be healed like a player.
  • If pet health reaches 0, pet dies and no longer exists. Deed is gone.
  • All attachments are moved to owner inventory.
  • Rider/passengers are dropped onto the ground.
  • Rider/passengers are not affected by attacks while on a pet.
  • Pets can drown.

Brushes
  • Brushes can still be used.
  • BPs, TT values, etc. all remain the same as the old system.
  • Summoned pets can be brushed.
  • Usage increases Pet Handler profession.

Tricks
  • Tricks are no longer able to be taught.

Pre-VU10 Pet Deeds
  • If mob type info is intact, no change. They become pets of the new system.
  • If mob type info is lost, deeds are "bought back" by MA.
  • If TT value is intact, they are bought back for TT value.
  • If TT value is lost, they are bought back for 1 ped each.
  • If mob type is kept, but TT value is lost, pet has 0 TT.
  • No other compensation is offered.

I think that covers all parts I can think of. Yes, many will notice a lot of this is taken from the current vehicle system. I have always believed that the work done to make that system could have been instead used to make taming. However, even with vehicles ingame that changes nothing. I've built so many uses into the pet system that I believe it would be well received.

Last edited:
i enjoyed this but... i would say brushes are like RK-5 units

But instead of repair/ you gain trust...... and trust = will do as you say..... let's say your riding it and all of a sudden it untrusts you....... you lose control and go on a wild ride ;)

[*]This negation of being tamable lasts forever for that specific mob, even if the mob regens to full health, and even if it's removed from all player's radar (unless technical reasons exist why this permanent flag is impossible.)

Hard to do I guess. How about making only full health mobs tameable - it is not exactly the same, but should be easily doable.

Man I would skill healing like a beast with pets if I can heal them.. go hunt small argos with a decent sized creature and just heal away while it hunts for me. Sign me up!

can u add in a section for ped fights

like in pvp cage ring. between mobs for bets or gear etc

Monster Rancher was an old game had a great pet system

and also a breeding system

I didnt knew verry much about tamming before this, but this thread is verry good. Well written. Thanks John.

Thanks for the feedback so far all.

i enjoyed this but... i would say brushes are like RK-5 units

But instead of repair/ you gain trust...... and trust = will do as you say..... let's say your riding it and all of a sudden it untrusts you....... you lose control and go on a wild ride ;)

I remember the old trust aspect, but really couldn't figure how to incorporate it. I dislike the idea of a pet suddenly going AWOL. Too hard to code that action, I think.

Hard to do I guess. How about making only full health mobs tameable - it is not exactly the same, but should be easily doable.

The idea is basically that any "normal" damage negates the chance of making a pet. This would allow someone to come along and simply pop an opalo into a mob someone else is trying to tame. (A rather rude, but minor way of helping keep high level pets from being made. Those kind of pets should be as hard to make as possible.)

Man I would skill healing like a beast with pets if I can heal them.. go hunt small argos with a decent sized creature and just heal away while it hunts for me. Sign me up!

Sure, you could do that. There's really no way to avoid that. However, I did adjust the eco of attacks above slightly. I realized my original attack cost was unworkable.

can u add in a section for ped fights

like in pvp cage ring. between mobs for bets or gear etc

Monster Rancher was an old game had a great pet system

and also a breeding system

Sure, folks could do pet vs pet PVP. Perhaps some connection in the event system would be incorporated later. The slight difference being that pets killed in the event system are not lost.

Thanks for the feedback so far all.

I remember the old trust aspect, but really couldn't figure how to incorporate it. I dislike the idea of a pet suddenly going AWOL. Too hard to code that action, I think.

The idea is basically that any "normal" damage negates the chance of making a pet. This would allow someone to come along and simply pop an opalo into a mob someone else is trying to tame. (A rather rude, but minor way of helping keep high level pets from being made. Those kind of pets should be as hard to make as possible.)

Sure, you could do that. There's really no way to avoid that. However, I did adjust the eco of attacks above slightly. I realized my original attack cost was unworkable.

Sure, folks could do pet vs pet PVP. Perhaps some connection in the event system would be incorporated later. The slight difference being that pets killed in the event system are not lost.

can we revie dead pets with resurrect :)

can we revie dead pets with resurrect :)

Nope. They're gone. :vampire:

There has to be strong risk of complete loss, otherwise the universe will be way too full of massively powerful pets that can never be lost.

If used right, they'll really help hunting, but there must be risk to offset reward.

Nope. They're gone. :vampire:

There has to be strong risk of complete loss, otherwise the universe will be way too full of massively powerful pets that can never be lost.

If used right, they'll really help hunting, but there must be risk to offset reward.

:eyecrazy:

as u wish:cool:

I think 10 levels would at least be inline with what players have already skilled for, i see no reason to make real tamers wait over 3 years then take away the actual thing they skilled for, if i had 5 pets in the wild then i want 5 when it comes back... whenever the hell that is and i think other higher tamers would feel exactly the same.

Skill Limitations

"Player can only simultaneously control 1 summoned mob per 20 levels of their Pet Handler profession. (I.E. Level 45 can only have 2 pets running around at once.)"

I think you should only be limited as to what pets you can tame by your skill lvls in taming, hunting and defense skills that way you can tame any mob you can actually survive.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Making it by the mob's lvl means you need a team who can all do that lvl which could exclude mates of all taming levels doing team taming which was part of the enjoyment of it.

Skill Limitations

Player can only tame a mob whose L number is equal to, or lower than their Animal Tamer profession.

======================================================

Don't make the same mistake with saddles or other accessories as was made with vehicles, make them decay so people actually need a new one unlike vehicles which last for absolutely ages (i still have my first quad, and the other cars, trucks n shit) and do nothing to make the economy grow, if vehicles decayed more then crafters would make more and need peoples loot more, decay is needed to actually make everyone enjoy the game more.

Saddles are (L), decaying every time a rider mounts. However, the decay is very small, (0.001 ped) allowing saddles to last a very long time.

edit: cars should of needed tyres, wheels, engines at certain intervals as they decayed which would then of made extra areas for loot to be used, we need consumables not everlasting gob stoppers.

Last edited:
Making it by the mob's lvl means you need a team who can all do that lvl which could exclude mates of all taming levels doing team taming which was part of the enjoyment of it.
The problem is that having 5-10 pets hunting with you is simply too powerful. 5 pets was easy when they had no use.

RE: Team taming, the taming skill restriction is only for the one who does most dmg and gets the pet. You can have 11 noobs helping you.

As far as the consumables, did did you notice that you can lose the pet completely, plus almost all attachments are (L).

I had posted this idea before but will mention it again happily.:D

There used to be an option to release a pet into the wild. My idea is to give this an actual use. If and when you release a pet into the wild it could create a static spawn of the mob for a limited amount of time. The length of time the spawn would last and maturity of the mob could be related to the skill level of the Tamer. This could be very useful for players wanting a static spawn for say a sweating circle or maybe a taming event.:sweat::whip:

Be even more fun if you could place the spawn inside an estate you own.:cool:
Third time posting this idea......maybe someone will comment this time.:D

The problem is that having 5-10 pets hunting with you is simply too powerful. 5 pets was easy when they had no use.

RE: Team taming, the taming skill restriction is only for the one who does most dmg and gets the pet. You can have 11 noobs helping you.

As far as the consumables, did did you notice that you can lose the pet completely, plus almost all attachments are (L).

5 pets was easy? in what way? Did you have 5 pets in the wild? I did and it wasn't easy, it was time consuming and expensive.

And as far as your expanded team taming, mate your making it up as you go :) I'm not a mind reader. Team taming was fine as it was i see no reason to alter it, if anything you should be able to tame whatever doesn't kill you, if that takes more of you then so be it just like hunting..

And you said saddles that are L that last a very long time, i disagree with anything L lasting a very long time.

This useful and fun that was with tamed animals in the past was that you could have them as shields in pvp and write some funny text or advertise anything.:)

This useful and fun that was with tamed animals in the past was that you could have them as shields in pvp and write some funny text or advertise anything.:)

yeah and 5 diakba stalkers held a spider off your tail for precious seconds so you could get it to sweat camp and watch the sweaters die one after the other... ah fun days.

Tell one or two curious sweaters there is a spider behind the barn and off it went like a firecracker :)

[*]If a mobs HP is taken down completely with a whip, it's tamed, and becomes a pet. (Just like it used to be.)
The old way wasn't "taken down completely." It was close to that, but a little different... There were 3 bars above the head of the mobs. You had to time it right so that you got the bars to line up right before you could "attempt tame" and timing was very, very, very important since if you timed it wrong it didn't work and if you got health "taken down completely" mob died. This is why it was very important to have full range of whips... both high damage and low damage so you could swap to low damage as health got lower so you didn't do too much damage and kill the mob you were attempting to tame in the process. It actually put a lot more "fun" in to the game since it was challenging to time it right.

It was the closest thing to a "mini-game" in game

Last edited:
[*]Any damage done with any other weapon completely negates the ability to tame that mob.
That is part of the way the old system worked, but the "flaw" I see in it is harrasser/exploiter types out there that shoot at mobs that taming teams are trying to tame... This would especially be true for mobs in areas where they are "rare" like in special events, LAs with unique dna, etc.

Saddle(C,L)
  • Saddles allow player to ride a pet.
  • Saddles are colorable.
  • Saddles are (L), decaying every time a rider mounts. However, the decay is very small, (0.001 ped) allowing saddles to last a very long time.
  • There is only 1 type of saddle.
  • Each planet has a BP which uses "local" materials to craft. each of these BPs crafts the same saddle.

imagine that most "sweatable" creatures will be tamable... Trying to envision what a saddled Rocktropian would look like...

Butch: Whether the pet count should be 1 per 20 or 10 levels would in the end be up to MA. I simply set it as I think it should be.

As for team taming, I always intended the pet owner to be the only one needing enough skill. The profession check occurs right at the moment of "death" for the mob, when all health is gone. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear. I'll clarify in the OP when I'm on a real computer.

Mastermesh, you're right, I forgot about that "triple bar" stuff. I'll remove that comment later.

Tricks
  • Tricks are no longer able to be taught.

What, no tricks??!

No way man, I want my pet to do back flips, dance the Harlem Shake (with public music) and fart rainbows! :yay:

Very well writen John!
[*]If a mobs HP is taken down completely with a whip, it's tamed, and becomes a pet. (Just like it used to be.)
[*]When a mob is tamed, it still loots. (Just like it used to be.)

This is not how it used to be tho. You didn't actually kill the mob with a whip, it had a taming bar under hp. You had to bring that "taming bar" down while keeping the mob alive to be able to tame it.
And once tamed you didn't receive any loot

This is how I remember it

imagine that most "sweatable" creatures will be tamable... Trying to envision what a saddled Rocktropian would look like...

sorry for the double post. Forgot to reply to this one.

RT's "human" mobs would almost certainly not be tamable. However, yes there is a small visual hurdle involving riding certain mobs.

Taming has to be something that requires an attempt (dice roll vs. tamer professional level) like every other action in EU. Note: That's the way it was before, too.

There's no need for arbitrary, griefer-bait things like any damage from another weapon removing any chance of taming if the original three bar approach is properly tuned. I'm not sure why they even made it that way the first time around, and they shouldn't make the same mistake again.

Your version has more issues and less fun potential than the original, with the exception of having more uses by being fully developed. They could make it work exactly as it did before and add uses and I think everyone who extensively tamed in past would feel okay about it. Pets definitely need to be able to do tricks. If that means limiting the tamable mobs, that's fine. Not every animal IRL can be domesticated or even tamed, either.
(Aside: fascinating long-term work on taming in Russia)

Also agree with comments that the accessories need to decay. And automobiles need to be changed so they don't last forever. And a bucketfull of unlimited weapons needs to stop dropping every other day. And so on, but MA clearly is intent on driving their product into the ground so ... meh.

Last edited:
Good reading, too bad MA at best would just print it out and have another "paper".

No opinion on my post at all?:scratch2:

Why do I bother posting anything......:cry:

Just stop with the this tamming nonsense.

10 years.

10 YEARS!

There are people who'd make more money in a savings account in the time you guys invested in taming.

Really. Even if MA actually released ANY form of taming, your money just spent 10+ years in Limbo. There are insane people in Wall Street that wouldn't even take that deal.

Cut your losses. Put your money into stock or savings bonds or gamble it at a casino. You're not going to make anything off this mish mash.

Just stop with the this tamming nonsense.

10 years.

10 YEARS!

There are people who'd make more money in a savings account in the time you guys invested in taming.

Really. Even if MA actually released ANY form of taming, your money just spent 10+ years in Limbo. There are insane people in Wall Street that wouldn't even take that deal.

Cut your losses. Put your money into stock or savings bonds or gamble it at a casino. You're not going to make anything off this mish mash.

some just want em back , maybe not even as money press :scratch2:

maybe were just sick of killing and wish to cuddle :yup: ...

i dont like ppl like u , who just see anything as possible oporunity to make cash or not ...

so we should forget about anything , just because its not getting us rich fast ? ohh come on ,

and fun got no value for u i guess :confused: ...

gone bad rep u , and pos rep for john capital =)

i would love to see pets back :yup:

Back