Test to check variation in reload time

Oleg

Mutated
Oleg Oleg McMullery
I've had a couple of recent conversations here and in soc chat about whether or not using different combinations of 1st/3rd person, aim/cursor etc affects performance, and particularly reload times. I've always doubted that it does, and I've done a couple of informal tests in the past that suggested it made no difference, but tonight I decided to do a proper test to work it out once and for all, which, as far as I am aware, no-one has done before (or if they have, they haven't published their results here).

To test it, I fired 100 rounds from the TT pistol into a Atrox Mature and timed it with a stopwatch, starting at the moment I fired the first shot and stopping at the moment that the reload bar became full after firing the 100th. I did this 4 times, each time using a different 'technique'.

Obviously there would be some variation due to my non-pixel-perfect reflexes, but I would think this would be a maximum of 1/10th of a second. Everything else was kept as equal as possible - same mob, same location, though I did move around a little in between tests because I had to wait a while while the mob healed, which led to it eventually getting bored of eating me and wandering off a short distance. I used queued actions to avoid variation in the delay between shots due to my own reflexes.

TT pistol stats say 44 shots per minute, which would mean (assuming no rounding) that 100 shots would take 2:16.36 (i.e. 2 minutes, 16.36 seconds).

So, the stats:

Run 1: using third person view, cursor mode, clicking on mob's health bar to fire.
Time for 100 shots: 2:34.84

Run 2: using first person view, cursor mode, clicking on mob's health bar to fire.
Time for 100 shots: 2:33.66

Run 3: using first person view, aim mode, clicking on mob to fire (i.e. using the game's auto-centering).
Time for 100 shots: 2:32.67

Run 4: using first person view, aim mode, hitting hotkey to fire (i.e. free manual aiming).
Time for 100 shots: 2:20.70

So, it looks like I've been proved wrong. The first three runs are pretty similar, certainly close enough that the difference could be due to lag or human variation, but the 4th is obviously faster, so I conclude that using fully free aim mode does decrease firing time. I would think the difference comes in the small pause in between reloading and firing, due to a reduction in processing required by the system - i.e. there is a little pause as the game works out if it needs to re-centre the aim.

Probably not a very significant difference on small mobs but on something bigger it would certainly have an effect, with more healing time for the mob and more attacks received.

Interestingly, none of these tests resulted in a rate as quick as that suggested in the weapon stats (even if accounting for rounding error).

Another interesting point leading on from this - I never use free aim because this requires constant use of both hands (one mouse, one keys), which is difficult and painful for me, thanks to severe nerve damage in my left hand (temporary, I hope). Is this discrimination against the disabled?

Nice test +rep :yay:

However I've also noticed firing faster will result more miss, although people tell me your hit rate on maxed weapon should be 91% ~ 92%, but I feel I'm missing 20% ~ 30% almost every 3 or 4 shots I will miss 1, but when I slow down my firing rate it gets better, it might have something to do with connection issues.:scratch2:

Nice test +rep :yay:

However I've also noticed firing faster will result more miss, although people tell me your hit rate on maxed weapon should be 91% ~ 92%, but I feel I'm missing 20% ~ 30% almost every 3 or 4 shots I will miss 1, but when I slow down my firing rate it gets better, it might have something to do with connection issues.:scratch2:

Not sure about the hit rate, though I've heard some say that the hit rate increases using the free aim mode. Last time this was mentioned to me in soc chat I immediately hit 34 out of 35 shots using third person cursor and clicking on the mob's bar, so my instinct is that they are wrong :) (but that's what I thought about the reload too!).

I didn't test that as it would have been too much for me to deal with all at once. I might do it another time, or maybe someone else could do it using the same or similar parameters to my test.

No, it is reward for more demanding activity.

Certainly more demanding for me. Not so demanding for someone with two fully functional arms.

From my informal tests it seems that auto-aim adds a small delay to each shot fired. The faster the weapon used the more pronounced this becomes. Using a Breer m2a there is virtually no difference, while the Korss H400 is more pronounced. Try repeating your experiment using a faster weapon, like the Mann MPH or the TT powerfists, and you might notice a bigger difference between manual and auto-aim.

Best,

For the people that have been around for a while, this is no news. It was stated in the VU info for the VU auto aim was introduced that using auto aim has a slight disadvantage to using direct aim, as I remeber it, both in range and in reload/fire time. Sadly older VU info's aren't directly accessible from the EU website.
I think that using queuing of actions in the options also effects firing times.

/Oz

FYI it's now illegal to discriminate either IRL or online unless it's unavoidable in some way, so he does have a point. Sounds very much like he also has some personal experience which is why he mentioned it. Many people do, and in the future maybe a lot more crafters will click themselves into a position where this is more important?

I can remember at least one guy posting here that EU gave him a new lease on life and a way to earn some money despite physical impairments that would probably stop the rest of us even thinking about playing. Easy to remember someone with spirit like that.

I'm surprised about the results, but it is of little interest to me as far as hunting is concerned...hitting or missing is the more important element and manual aim isn't as reliable generally.

t

Oh...it was stated that manual aim had advantages in range ? How can it when you don't know the range as things stand manually? Don't get that at all ? Aren't we guessing when manually controlling aim and range? Auto aim can take you to rough max range but even that isn't always correct so a slight adjustment is prudent to be sure.

Last edited:
to really test this i guess you should use an ac and compare auto aim to fps aim, so you ll diminish the human factor.

good thoughts however.

Has anyone tried auto aim with the ballistic weapons (rockets and grenades)?
Just wondering, I always us manual aim and it just occurred to me when I read this thread.

FYI it's now illegal to discriminate either IRL or online unless it's unavoidable in some way, so he does have a point.

t

Yes he does.

I just come from the FPS background and believe your manual dexterity and strategical thinking should also affect the outcome, not just how much your gun and skills cost ;)

Last edited:
Has anyone tried auto aim with the ballistic weapons (rockets and grenades)?
Just wondering, I always us manual aim and it just occurred to me when I read this thread.

yes i tried this today as i normaly use auto aim. It is a very bad idea you will hit every bit of ground except the bit the mob is on unless the mob is chewing on your ankles at the time, in which case you would have to be blind and have no arms to miss it anyway lol

bumo, everyone should know about this

I have always used FP manual aim, so have never noticed a difference. I just find it much more engaging to be actually fighting the mob and choosing my spots to hit it, rather than just clicking a button and letting the system do the aiming for me. Nice to see that I may be getting a higher rate of fire because of it.

Although rate of fire is pointless if you are missing the blooming thing, but being slightly quicker as well, means quicker to get to the Fap should you take a big hit.

Oh, I did use the dragging of the health bar method last year when I broke my collar bone and playing the game just fine one handed for 2 months :) Was rather relaxing.

Back