News: User Interface Update Postponed

Bertha Bot

Entropia News Fetcher

User Interface Update Postponed​

Due to changing priorities related to the development of the Unreal Engine 5 client, Mindark has determined that it is not practical to implement the previously-announced User Interface update in 2021.

The process of upgrading the current CryEngine 2 client User Interface has been taking a lot of resources and is somewhat risky with regard to the technical aspects, given the complexity of the old UI framework. The decision therefore has been made to focus on implementing significant UI improvements in Unreal Engine 5 instead.

The efforts made thus far on the UI upgrade project have provided many insights and highlighted areas for improvement, which will of course help guide our efforts in crafting the user interface for the Unreal Engine 5 client.

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

Originally Posted Here

SuperKanjo

Elite
Society
Kaos
Janko SuperKanjo vd Haak
Was to be expected

Sub-Zero

Elite
Society
Classified
Sub-Zero The Killer
As soon as you guys mentioned about working on UE5 I figured this was bound to happen. So this means around 4 years more of waiting I guess, unless ya planning on releasing UE5 in an unfinshed state like you did cryengine.

Alina

Elite
Society
freeeeee
Stoica Alina Alina
Good job i rather see UE5 coming faster

Last edited:

Sulje

Old Alpha
Society
The Prodigy
Sulje
Good idea, faster the UE is released the better, i'd leave all bugs and stuff for now, focus all resources on UE !

AckerZ

Alpha
Anonymous AckerZ Anonymous
Sounds good, is there any estimated time scales in place for the UE5 rollout so far?

Nick Seventia

Dominant
Society
Baby Hunters
Sev Severina Lothander
Good choice honestly, It would be fun to have the UI as we are waiting for the engine upgrade but having resources directed towards the old engine just seems unnecessary.

Would still be very interesting to maybe see what progress you had made so far in regards to the UI compared to the first itteration you posted.

(y)

miathan

Dominant
Society
Rangers
Alindrina Alli Golden
A bit sad but I agree, better to focus on UE5.

warmdogg

Prowler
Society
illuminox
BETA BINX BREAKER
Difficult decision to make, but ultimately the right one. Personally i am much more excited for Unreal than a UI change.

nutrageti

Stalker
Society
Silly Underground Family
47 nutrageti hitman
Actually telling us is progress :) back in the day we'd just be wondering when that egg will be hatching :))

jambon

Stalker
Society
Shaolin
James Jambon Zidane
I'm quite happy about this for a couple reasons:

1. I appreciate the communication regarding this and not just leaving us hanging with another promise unfulfilled without explanation.
2. You're right that considering you've got a whole new engine update coming, superficial changes in the existing engine that could cause extra bugs makes no sense.

Msturlese

Prowler
Society
Dirty Dingos
Marco Killy Stur
i would add
1. the current UI just suffer of transparncy. put in UE interface a solid background. transparencies just create difficulties in reading
2. the proposed new one was worse than the actual
3. i hope that UE5 allows differentGCD for shot and heal and DOT so that we can heal and arso without stopping shooting
(i dream of auto resto and autoheal if proper ammo is in inventory as life fall under a set %).

Thark

Prowler
Society
The Prodigy
Shawn Thark Columbo
Great! Third golden age, with new engine! Yay

TheRock

Elite
Society
Pain Incoming
TheRock
Good to know there are smart ppl at MA.

Geo

Prowler
Society
Victory
George Geo Clone
Thanks for the update :thumbup:

TheOneOmega

Elite
Society
Freelancer
Marie TheOne Omega
Sad about this, and a bit confused since they literally almost released the update months ago before postponing it at the last second, but at least it's nice that they're letting us know.

Alainax

Elite
Society
Titans of Space
Alaina Bonnie Knight
Will the new engine have a new interface? Presumably with such shiny new graphics we wont be working with the old clunky UI?

fred5283

Prowler
Society
Crimson Devils
Norian Norian Xx
Great decision - keep ‘em comin’

Athal

Prowler
Society
Natural Born Killers
Aranthir Athal Lander
It is a good movement from you guys :D keep up the good work and keep communicating :D

endermigne

Elite
Society
The White Dots
ender endermigne migne
Apparently Mindark went down the dumb road...

I don't know why they make the same mistake again. There were no lessons learned in the migration to CryEngine 2! WTF? The business analysts and software architects involved clearly didn't do their homework this time and should be fired right on. I'm sorry, no sympathies here. There were enough signs about the possible obstacles ahead. Mindark makes it sound as if such move is a cheap/easy thing to do...

This is so dumb... Just why???

Sulje

Old Alpha
Society
The Prodigy
Sulje
Apparently Mindark went down the dumb road...

I don't know why they make the same mistake again. There were no lessons learned in the migration to CryEngine 2! WTF? The business analysts and software architects involved clearly didn't do their homework this time and should be fired right on. I'm sorry, no sympathies here. There were enough signs about the possible obstacles ahead. Mindark makes it sound as if such move is a cheap/easy thing to do...

This is so dumb... Just why???
you should be fired !

Killahbee

Marauder
Society
illuminox
Killahbee Killer Bee Killahbee
As expected but not as promised...
Q: Will the current version of Entropia Universe continue receiving updates during the Unreal Engine 5 development period?
A: Yes. New content will continue to be developed and released for Entropia Universe by MindArk and the planet partners during the Unreal Engine 5 development period.

Nik-Elas

Alpha
Society
Deagleteam
Niklas Negolas Hedlund
As expected but not as promised...

Well we still receive updates though don't we? Just not the UI one

Grengoshi

Guardian
Gregorie Grengoshi trester
Ummm we need a new game engine. Game engines arnt just about graphics. It's about capability and cryengine is a dead engine. Anyone complaining about migration doesn't comprehend how important it is to do, think.

Last edited:

Legends

Stalker
Society
Dirty Dingos
Inherent Marxus Legends
I think there's a missed opportunity here..

You already have the graphical update ready to go, at the last minute you decided to work on functionality improvements as well before releasing it but the graphical part of it was done as far as I know. So why not release the graphical update now while it's ready and use the opportunity to gather feedback from the community before you waste time creating these UIs in UE5. What if the community doesn't like your graphics? Then you create them twice; once in CE2, once in UE5, and have to start over again..

I think you should at least release the graphical UI update, if it's ready.