What motivates you

Yeah I think it is, a kind of programming magic. I take my hat off to EUs coders and programmers.
Aaron Swartz said programming was a kind of magic "and if you could use magic wouldn't you use it for good" (iirc been some years since I saw the movie/docu). Anyhow I really liked that sentiment.

Aaron Swartz said programming was a kind of magic "and if you could use magic wouldn't you use it for good" (iirc been some years since I saw the movie/docu). Anyhow I really liked that sentiment.
I can agree with that, I mean this whole digital / cyberspace reality wouldn't exist without it. Furthest I ever got a long time ago was barely getting to grips with a version of BASIC and creating simple menu systems using DOS batch commands, but soon realised programming wasn't really my forte.

I can agree with that, I mean this whole digital / cyberspace reality wouldn't exist without it. Furthest I ever got a long time ago was barely getting to grips with a version of BASIC and creating simple menu systems using DOS batch commands, but soon realised programming wasn't really my forte.
That sounds pretty good TBH.

But indeed you are right it isn't for everyone although, like things like Science, music and languages, its important that people at least get exposed to it so they have a chance to see if they like it.

I think you have to enjoy it really or doing it would be awful. Fundamentally it's staring at a screen typing in stuff for hours on end and trying to solve puzzles/problems. I can see why that really wouldn't appeal to a lot of people. It's a kind of masochism unless you derive perverse pleasure from it.

That sounds pretty good TBH.

But indeed you are right it isn't for everyone although, like things like Science, music and languages, its important that people at least get exposed to it so they have a chance to see if they like it.

I think you have to enjoy it really or doing it would be awful. Fundamentally it's staring at a screen typing in stuff for hours on end and trying to solve puzzles/problems. I can see why that really wouldn't appeal to a lot of people. It's a kind of masochism unless you derive perverse pleasure from it.
Yes enjoying what you do is key and you have to really want to do it, then it isn't work. Of the two I found creating menu systems using DOS batch commands more appealing than working with BASIC as they were really mini progs in their own right that saved you from having to do so many lines of code. Unfortunately I found too many hours of coding tiring so realised it wasn't really my cup of tea.

after working professionally in the field for over a decade i will tell you, at least for me, it definitely puts a damper on your desire to do programming recreationally. too much like work ;)

after working professionally in the field for over a decade i will tell you, at least for me, it definitely puts a damper on your desire to do programming recreationally. too much like work ;)
Yes, especially when the results of your hard work ends up being the property of your employer.

Back