What motivates you

Old friends ingame i known since like 2008 or so i guess. probably earlier.
I remember sweating with Foe/Ludvig/Dalas and rest of the old AIN massive :) :D

Without them i probably wouldn't be here, has been nice seeing people from past go through life :).

Without the community i think game would have died long time ago, is Mindarks best asset they have.

Last edited:
I'm still here because it's in many aspects most challenging game I ever found. I was always MMO guy and it's even better when you spice it with RCE.
EU is far from perfect product, but it's idea is awesome.

The real world is worse. When it breaks into the game, at least you can choose not to participate and watch them crabs battling each other in a fish tank.

Knowing that a quad-wing or sleipnir pilot flying overhead or someone running past whilst hunting or mining, are digitisations of real people and not NPCs with clever AI. It's a kind of magic.

What keeps me motivated? To obtain the gear I've always wanted to own without depositing for it.

Money!

i want to become super rich, with spending all my free time in hunting mining or crafting
then buy something great in rl

seeing my pedcard grow pretty fast not counting depos, big sense of accomplishment

From the sound of trumpets and golden swirls to improving my gameplay and everything in between and more. I don't think it's one thing but if I had to say one thing I would say it's the RCE element which makes everything thrilling as all our decisions and actions have consequences. Essentially creating a virtual real world.

If one thing you said, or piece of advice you gave - helps someone have a bit of fun or feel more accomplished in what they are doing, then its worth it. You never know what others have going on in their lives, and if we can all have a bit of enjoyment together then that's all the motivation I'll ever need :)

I believe the Entropia Universe concept is one of the most disruptive innovations the world has instantiated over the last several decades. Clearly we throw the term around on the regular, but in the context of a question like this, I actually think the phrasing "what motivates you to play the game" severely undersells its significance. The Entropia concept is far more than a game. If we somehow find a way to steer it in the direction of its maximum potential, I truly think Entropia is conceptually closer to the Internet than it is to [insert your favorite MMO here]. I still wouldn't rank it as significant as the web, but quite possibly in the top five innovations of my lifetime, depending on how loosely you're willing to cluster things. While the changes in code and philosophy we apply are, in practice, often iatrogenic with respect to this greater aim, appearing to steer us progressively further off course, the seeds of a wildly disruptive paradigm still lie all around us, and the idea of not being here seems all but unthinkable.

Well its either because i like being in a gaming cult , wink wink MA ( brand it like a cult ;) ) ... OR because i like chasing instant gratification or both .... right :D

Last edited:
Originally I was obsessed by the immersion and the vastness of the game. Over the years this turned into a desire to understand the mechanics. 12 years later and I am still learning. I would love to reach Level 100 at some point in the next couple of years

The only game I know where you hope for a positive surprise every time you log in. Nothing is predictable, except that it didn't turn out to be anything again.
And in the evening I sit with Brain and ask what we'll do tomorrow.

just a simple question , what motivates you to play the game for thos who are new and those who have played 20 years , im curious why you stay
Memories from the old times - I still visit the places I started playing at back then, looking for my own ghost (previous avatar)...I like the virtual landscapes, and mining - my kind of meditation. Nostalgic type...I am...

Last edited:
I believe the Entropia Universe concept is one of the most disruptive innovations the world has instantiated over the last several decades. Clearly we throw the term around on the regular, but in the context of a question like this, I actually think the phrasing "what motivates you to play the game" severely undersells its significance. The Entropia concept is far more than a game. If we somehow find a way to steer it in the direction of its maximum potential, I truly think Entropia is conceptually closer to the Internet than it is to [insert your favorite MMO here]. I still wouldn't rank it as significant as the web, but quite possibly in the top five innovations of my lifetime, depending on how loosely you're willing to cluster things. While the changes in code and philosophy we apply are, in practice, often iatrogenic with respect to this greater aim, appearing to steer us progressively further off course, the seeds of a wildly disruptive paradigm still lie all around us, and the idea of not being here seems all but unthinkable.
I like the post. Not sure it's unique to Entropia but indeed there was something about "that first MMO" for everyone, not just Entropia players. And you can never re-capture it it seems. I've had this conversation with many a person who have had their excited time over an MMO, often ones that have long since shutdown. The surprising uniqueness of Entropia is that somehow it has stayed under the radar, never grew beyond what it could handle with a minimal dev team or resources and has probably therefore survived even without significant advertising. For this I'm grateful. I never had to say good bye to my first virtual home on that far flung Calypso planet of mysteries forever forgotten and unsolved.

I don't hold a lot of hope that there will be much that is recognisable when Untropia comes but in the mean time I'm just happy Calypso is still there

Wistrel

Knowing that a quad-wing or sleipnir pilot flying overhead or someone running past whilst hunting or mining, are digitisations of real people and not NPCs with clever AI. It's a kind of magic.
Yeh. I've got this (wrong) perception that games are something of a waste of time. But I never feel that way about social gaming. MMO's have the same thing going for them. The fact that there ARE really people to witness you on your travels, well as you say, it's a kind of magic really, why not?

Wistrel

The long game.

I like the fact that I can have short, mid, and long term goals without pressure to level (just to stay on par with other players). I can low-deposit and splurge on crafting or hunting and then go back and play conservatively swunting, all of them progressing skills in some way.

I can go at my own pace and keep making progress. No caps or ceilings. The only limitation is storage space. :(

But that's every single MMO ever.
Yes, but some of the more recent MMOs now also have AI assisted NPCs or semi-NPCs that your AV will encounter or interact with, so not always other AVs/real people.

Last edited:
Yeh. I've got this (wrong) perception that games are something of a waste of time. But I never feel that way about social gaming. MMO's have the same thing going for them. The fact that there ARE really people to witness you on your travels, well as you say, it's a kind of magic really, why not?

Wistrel
Yeah I think it is, a kind of programming magic. I take my hat off to EUs coders and programmers.

Back