When do most people quit this game

Petley

Old Alpha
Society
cK Coat Killers
James James Petley
I am just curious.. I have reached approx level 50 hunting, approx level 40 mining. I have had good luck hiting a 17k lyst hof mining.. blew it in a few months hunting and mining .. This isnt really a whining thread as some might think.. Some of my close friedns have hit this level apprx and now are chipping out to quit.. They realized what they spent.. I myself am not a rich person by any means to be honest i am struggling along. Trying to change my ways in this economy.. But i figure i have deposited approx 4-9k $ since i started in 05 and i have nothing to show for it in the game except skills and a few good friends( skills worth around 3k$ maybe) .. I have had a blast in this game.. trying to decide if it worth sticking around? Am i going to be a person that turns level 70 still hanging out in ghost... No great weapons.. Is this even possible?

I absolutely love this game.. i think i spent to long in one soc and not meeting others but besides that what do people think when they leave.. Is it to much money spent? Or is it just sick and tired of the game?

Guess the time to feel any progress between lvl 50 and lvl 70 is way too long for some people and they feel like it never is going to happen and when they have no goal in game, they quit.

I'm feeling the same. Shall I continue or not. If I reach lvl 70 it will most likely be in gremlin and some L gun.

The problem is that, once you get to a certain level, you can go virtually anywhere and kill virtually any mob and it gets really boring. How many times can you go over the same LA or Dome or whatever and still think "wow, this is fun"?

Eventually, you start thinking "if it's this boring at level 50, how bad will it be at level 80?" That's when you start noticing how much you've spent and how much you need to spend to keep playing and it really doesn't seem that appealing anymore.

I keep hoping that something interesting will show up with the new platform/planets/whatever. Or at least, maybe they'll get enough new players that the value of my avatar goes up. Unfortunately, the release keeps getting pushed back farther and farther, and now, it looks like they're buying some sort of RL banking license?

:dunno:

patience is key, we are right on the cusp of some great things. if youve been here since 05, then you should know that the best thing to do in eu is chill. the value of your avatar is going to go up , but to solidify your position, perhaps you should actuaslly save up and invest in something of good value, 2k usd will get you some fine items which, if you have faith will reap benefits down the road, not weeks or months but as long as youve been here youve seen what shrewed investors have done to squeeze peds from this baren wilderness. take your time, watch the trends, buy as low as you can now and hang onto it. what ever it may be and just chill.

I've watched a lot of "really shrewd investors" buy up a lot of property here in South Florida, too. And, yes, the ones who got out early made a lot of money. Now, anyone who owns investment property here will kiss you on all four cheeks if you'll even slow down to read the For Sale sign as you drive buy.

The hope of ever-increasing item prices is purely based on The Bigger Idiot Theory. That is the assumption that, no matter how much you pay for something, someone else will come along and give you more for it.

Unfortunately, although The Bigger Idiot Theory can generate profits for some, what it ultimately is, is a way of identifying the biggest idiot.

;)

get out while you still can!!! and email me bro, I pm'ed ya. Its been too long since I showed my face around here!!

Would be best to diversify your gaming exposure to some of the other popular or not so popular games out there , while keeping EU as a fallback for when you might get bored or homesick.

From what I can see , the game has not grown as fast as its player base , leaving those that were charging forward at a sense of loss when they hit the skilling walls.

I would imagine you love EU for the same reasons as most other dedicated players , the maturity of the players and the vision of the future.

Good luck to you

Bones

I think it is a matter of personal experience.

° In the beginning I had to play as much as possible... skill and kill
° Needless to say I got frustrated
° After a while, I diversified (is that an english word?) my gameplay.
-> Started to do a broader range of activities (enmatter mining - ore mining)
-> Starting to take breaks when things turn ugly (1-3 months)
° Now I combine a diverse gameplay with my service I offer (wich brings in peds as well).. when loot is low, I can focus on my service...

After 2.5 years and about 400 euro in deposits I reached an average lvl 40 (my skills are way more worth then that)

Diversity and thinking out of the box is the key to cope with grinding and low loot.

Without those aspects, I think a lot of pple get frustrated at mid level and leave.

Regards,
BB

delete 2nd post

Last edited:
Ah forget this wrong place to post got quotes mixed

I've watched a lot of "really shrewd investors" buy up a lot of property here in South Florida, too. And, yes, the ones who got out early made a lot of money. Now, anyone who owns investment property here will kiss you on all four cheeks if you'll even slow down to read the For Sale sign as you drive buy.

The hope of ever-increasing item prices is purely based on The Bigger Idiot Theory. That is the assumption that, no matter how much you pay for something, someone else will come along and give you more for it.

Unfortunately, although The Bigger Idiot Theory can generate profits for some, what it ultimately is, is a way of identifying the biggest idiot.

;)

So bit like the Cake theory.

The $ poor 3rd grade kid called weezil who attends an elite school, he has vegan parents and is not allowed prepackaged treats.

Weezil never has Cheetos, Rice crispie bars he cant afford them and his mum doesnt give.

All the rich kids who have treats trade them daily at lunchtime...you know what I mean after a week of rice crispie bars a Captain Zoot bar seems more attractive.

Weezil is excluded from the trades as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich has no value whatsoever.

One super rich kid named Fungus...you know the one with the bucked teeth and the snorting laugh is king of the crew who always has the best treats to trade and is the appointed ring leader.

Weezil comes up with a plan and says too some of the kids... I dont have anything to offer but my mum will bake a huge cake at the end of the year and...if you want a share of that cake give me your treat and I'll record it in my book.

Now Weezil gets a small following of believers that expands to the point he has catagorized contributions to him in rank value/attractiveness of treats ...one share of chocolate fudge cake for one rice crispie bar, 2 shares of marshmallow cake for one Captain Zoot bar etc.

Eventually Weezil is keeping a book of shares which is huge and detailed, so detailed he even believes it. Weezil continues to profess that his mother is going to wheel in a cake that suits everyones needs at the end of the year. But two problems exist for Weezil . His mother knows nothing about this cake.
and
Fungus is pretty smart and also pissed that his original monoply on treats got sunk so he has done some basic math and figured Weezils mum is gunna need a forklift to wheel that cake into the school.

Thats futures for you :D

I really love cake

Bones

People play this game for different reasons. Some people do it as a pastime, some as work, some as fun, some to relax, some to achieve, some to better themselves.

Some people come into the game with unrealistic expectations, or they have a real-life situation change. Some become horrible gargoyles
(or reveal what horrible gargoyles they are), others fade, some burn out, some go on exteneded breaks and log in once a week, month or longer. Sometimes I'm disappointed when someone I know in games decides to quit, but most of the time I understand their decision. It sucks at the time, but EU carries on. Make new friends, discover more fun things to do in EU

<insert lame pun involiving the phrase "some of it all">

Cheesecake

Xaph u so right ... that ur wole post should be a signature.

So bit like the Cake theory.

... awesome Analogy...

Thats futures for you :D

Reminds me of the Test performed in 50 US Junior schools...

In 50 US Junior school classes, the kids arrived one morning to find a 1lb bag of M&M's on each desk.

The Teacher said, "Hi, come on in, sit down, don't touch the M&M's... Yet... I'll explain...

In a minute I'll say GO, and if you want you can open your bag of M&M's and eat them. All of them, if you want. OR... you can bring your bag of M&M's up to my desk and give them to me, and if you do then I will give you 5lb's of M&M's in three days time. That's the deal.

1lb now, or 5lbs in 3 days.

GO"

Wouldn't you know it, Every Child, in Every Class ate them immediately.

We want it now, we can't help it.

And someone else walks off with the profit :rolleyes:

Back on topic...

When do most people quit..?

I can't speak for "most people" but personally I will quit when I'm either too old and arthritic to operate the mouse anymore, OR when they pry it from my cold dead hand....

I'm pretty sure that most people quit when they find the controls hard to master and are all alone at PA with little help. That may not be as true as it once was thanks to the guides, but I have an informative FL as far as newcomers are concerned...almost all vanished the first day. A few told me that they were told sweat was the way to play for free, and then found that very hard work and gradually dropped out as their sweatcamp mates vanished to do better things (after a depo).

Out of 30 newcomers I have on FL after showing them swamp camp (on my way to buy sweat it seems like a good idea to take someone if they are new and need help and drop them a few armour parts etc if I have any ..show them we're not all about peds)...I have 3 that ever log on at all.

This also puts me off mentoring BTW, I spend a lot of time helping newbies only to see them vanish...that would really annoy me if they were disciples and I was obliged to spend time with them.

OH...the 3 guys that still play...they all came to EF, a MAJOR help in keeping people interested and informed which more than likely kept me in EU initially.

When your Skills raise and you can use better Eqipment the PED's start circulating faster in and out. On a certain Point some People start feeling uncomfortable about this, lets say around serendipidy - coolness unlocked, and feeling the deposits have become bigger and more frequent over time and its not certain they reached the end of Top as they progress future.

Thats the Point some people resign. Some others may find a way they can life with and stay happy. And some people realize they have spend more as they initialy wanted and thats where sadly the bad reputation of entropia universe comes from. They make their leak of selfcontroll a fault by MindArk and start talking horror storys on mmorpg.com or other forums. :(

If you are midlevel for a longer while and still feel confident about your progress and you can still manage to afford your playing style you masterd a important part of entropia universe. From there you can become anything

if you and your friends have hitted 17k already you surely as lucky as few. grats to that.

And if people think this game gets to expensive they should either rethink how and what they do to decresse the cost to make the hunts last longer as well as maybe chat more in towns to spend some time and not only burn away cash.

This is what most ppl dont do tho; they say "awh i lost 3k peds today, now i will quit the game becuse its not fun anymore" imo hunting mining crafting is the boring part of the game, and with boring its also expensive, i prefer to chat in towns speak with ppl and make ingame friends.

I mean sure i can occationally hunt as well, but i go out there ready to lose what i hunt for.
That is what more people need to do, stop thinking or beliving that this game is some sort of a money maker machine, becuse it is not. This is entertainment, and IRL i pay for entertainment, everywhere on the internet i do as well. Why should EU be any diffrent?

But i figure i have deposited approx 4-9k $ since i started in 05 and i have nothing to show for it in the game except skills and a few good friends( skills worth around 3k$ maybe)

So for the past 4 years you have spent 1000-2000 a year on entertainment and you are able to recoup about 3000 of that?

What's the issue again?

If you would have seen 1 movie a week at a theater over that same time, including popcorn and soda, you probably would have spent the same amount with ZERO to show for it.

Aside from quitting over financial issues - people quit when they get bored. Bored because skill gains after level 50 are slow. Bored because crafting, hunting, and mining are little more than mouse clicking marathons.

Sounds like you're more bored than anything.

James ,I know exactly how you feel...I have the same lvls as you and believe me I do feel like chipping out at times(kinda been there done that feel),but wait and see what happens with the game.Something has got to change and if its for the better then you will be glad your skills are in place...I had my big one and its a now its a their turn kinda feel for me...I'm stagnant for now...Gonna hope that new planets will change back to fun.

This is entertainment, and IRL i pay for entertainment, everywhere on the internet i do as well. Why should EU be any diffrent?[/b]

You have a point,
Very expensive entertainment at average 1 USD an hour.

I guess it is of personal opinion if people are getting bang for their buck.

If not, maybe a $ 15 USD a month for all the fun you can have is a better choice. So many friends here in EU, even my soc mates have taken that path.

Others just go and play the other Alpha RCE for 20 USD a month and it lasts;
Some don't even deposit at all and make five times that in a month ! Then come back here and it is gone in under a week :laugh:

Personally, I do not see any real viable economy at work here after almost 2 years in Entropia for any serious venture at this point in time.

It is missing too many of the fundamental basics of a working economy.

Even though some will give you a wank story, many I have had the pleasure of having in depth conversations with who do run some form of venture in Entropia will tell you straight out that they are also waiting and hoping for change.

Maybe this will change given time.

How much time ? How long is a piece of FPC ? (string)
Don't know till you wait and measure it. ;)

Ah, I see a mid-life crisis here, at 50. The common question: am over the hill yet. U are lucky u come this far. Many died pre-maturely. I believe many player at ALL levels have asked this important question: should i quit this game. Only MA has the statistics.

Lets face it,the vast majority of people that play EU are gamblers.
Add gambling to peer pressure and you have a very nasty combination.Most people are not prepared to work to get what they want so they buy skills and take the easy route.

If you start playing EU that way then it cheapens the experiance imho.
They don't get to appreciate how smart they have to play to be a success here.

To get a large hof and then to blow it in a few months of hunting and mining,shows a lack of self control and general disregard for the value of money.

There is no difference between killing a small mob or a large mob in actual gameplay.You click on the mouse excatly the same way to kill both.
When you mine you drop a bomb or probe into the ground,you do it the same way wether your amped or not.If you get an nrf,its the same amped or not.
So really the only difference is the size of the gamble and the thrill of the gamble.

So when DO most people quit this game?

The boredom factor kicks in when people's only choice is to drop down in the level of gameplay that they are used to and play sensibly,as they should have done in the 1st place, and play within their means.

If your 1st car is a ferrari then your never going to be happy selling it and driving a volkswagan beetle.

I can imagine that even the thickest skinned gamblers at some point,total up what they've spent and come to a realisation of how stupid they have been.
After that there are two paths to take.Some cut their losses and leave EU and the others chase their losses and gamble some more.

Lets be clear about this.You don't need to deposit ANY money into EU to play it but what you do need is a will and determination to succeed.

Those attributes are real life ones,you can't buy them you either have them or you don't.

End-game content in other online games is usually PVP in some form or fashion. Calypso already has PVP, and it's hell expensive.

(I think most people quit the day they join, because they realise that "Ffs this wasn't a free game after all.")

Try something different, maybe get into pk'ing or crafting!

You can also reach commando without any good unL gear, there are plenty of good L weapon, Fap, Tools and Armor to hunt at your level, you wont be the first to do that i guess..

Try new mobs, a bad run on a mob doesnt mean the mob sucks, it wasnt the right time to hunt it, thats all..

I mean sure i can occationally hunt as well, but i go out there ready to lose what i hunt for.
b]
and so do I no matter what size the peice of cake may be!
I guess many are questioning that the cake even exists!

Well, i think most ppl will quit because there bored with it... and they do not want to spend money... but, this game is for fun not profit

Wait are you saying that most people quit when they finally start to reach the decent levels where profit is possible? :laugh:
People of all levels quit, generally people who think they have spent too much on EU (and yet refuse to change their ways), but sometimes people realize "oh my god I've made $10k with this game! Seeya later!".
I'm not going to say there's a specific level you should get to before you quit, because there are still people in EU of all levels, and the more people we have in EU, the better the economy.

Back