Question: When to go to the Next Step ?

cherie

Young
cherie ann
Hi All :)

Pretty New here, I've been grinding up on a QR100 BP Basic Filter to try to get BC unlocked (lol would take a while).

How would I know when to switch recipes? :)

Is there a stat that I should be looking at in the BP?

Any info would be great.

Thanks all!

-Cherie

The next step in most professions, including crafting, only even exists when the item you are using (tool, weapon, paint can, and this case bp) has a skill increase bonus and you have reached a level of skill where this no longer applies.

Basic filters, IIRC, have no SIB and therefore the easy answer to your question is "never". A better answer might be to find a BP in the relevant profession that does have one at your skill level (can be found from the bp info) and use that instead of filters. Your skill gain will be quicker that way. However, the filters BP is the cheapest per click in game, so you will spend more peds getting those clicks done. It might well even out, although of course less clicks will be faster. Which is significant - 1000 clicks, even on auto, takes about an hour.

just my 2 pec.

Hi Cherie - Welcome to the Forum :)

You will unlock blueprint comprehension when you reach level 10 in any of the engineering professions. By crafting basic filters you are gaining skills in all of the crafting professions. You gaining fastest in the Mechanical Engineer profession because of the manufacture mechanical equipment skill gains.

I suggest that you look at your levels in the various crafting professions. If Mechanical Engineer is quite a bit higher than the others, you might wish to concentrate on that until you unlock blueprint comprehension. If it is not substantially higher, you might consider switching to one of the others.

An excellent resource for the crafter is Bob the Builder. You will find information about all of the blueprints to help you with your decision. Generally speaking, the blueprints with skill increase bonus cost more per click.

Building skills in the crafting professions is a long-term project. It is somewhat easier to do the long skilling runs now that we can auto craft. You will probably never turn a profit on these runs. Hopefully you can keep your skilling costs to a minimum.

Please keep in mind that different players have different experiences and opinions. So don't be too surprised if our suggestions also differ. Have fun with your crafting career.

basic filters is entirely feasable to use until you unlock bpc, and even after i guess. i know several people who have done the same thing all the way up to level 10. it takes a long time and thousands of clicks, but with autoclick, that is much easier now as you dont have to sit at the computer for hours on end watching this.

you might want to consider doing basic filters on full condition, since condition yields more residue than quantity. quantity is good if you're trying to loot more products than residue, but since filters are TT food, you might as well go for the condition. most people will agree that in the long run (over thousands of clicks) you will get approximately the same return regardless where the slider is put.

if you wanted to upgrade from filters to a higher bp, try maybe standard dampers. it is a level III mech eng. bp that uses 2 oil and 1 lyst instead of 1 and 1 with filters. it may be slightly faster, and you might get better bp loots from it. if you want to move into SIB bps, then no doubt simple I plastic springs is popular. it costs 0.91 ped per click, but you also gain skills considerably faster than filters. the materials are eye and muscle oil, which both have low markup. similar to lyst and oil. the simple I plastic springs bp will be SIBS between levels 2.5 and 7.5 mechanical engineer.

just my 2 cents, hope it helps

thanks all for the input, they def do help

Thanks again!

-Cherie

Hi Cherie - Welcome to the Forum :)

You will unlock blueprint comprehension when you reach level 10 in any of the engineering professions. By crafting basic filters you are gaining skills in all of the crafting professions. You gaining fastest in the Mechanical Engineer profession because of the manufacture mechanical equipment skill gains.

You do not get skills in all crafting professions by clicking filters.
You only gain skills in Engineering, Mechanics, Manufacture Mechanical Equipment and Intelligence prior to unlocking BPC, as with all mechanical components BPs. Because of the Engineering skill gains you also raise your profession levels in the other crafting professions, but only at around 25% the rate.
Clicking Basic filters is a waste of time and PEDS because you only get TT food. Simple I Plastic Springs is a better BP for skilling, materials have a lower MU, you gain skills faster and product is not TT food, which lowers your losses also. Getting a high QR on that BP will help you in the future because you will need those springs to craft the higher level ones.

Also it is advisable to not switch SiB BPs as soon as you "unlock" them, but rather wait a few levels. If you switch too soon, you gain skills faster but also have a lower CoS, not only because of a low QR but because higher skills als help impove the CoS. As a rule of thumb I dont click on BPs unless i am at least 2 levels above the minimum requirement.

Crafting on condition can be fun, but you need a deeper pocket. Skill and return wise it makes absolutely no difference, on average your TT return is allways around 90%.

Read alot. Here on EF, Entropedia, Bob the builder.

Learn to study auction: check various domains of crafting, look at what items are sold, look in what quantity them are sold daily, check what resources are used in those blueprints, check resources prices, get used to CoS, learn to calculate economical efficiency of a blueprint, etc etc

And in all this time I advise you to click basic filters.

One advise: don't approach crafting as gambling. Do not expect profit TT from Santa Clause, loot pool and other myths. Stick to rentability math.

I found at around 30K clicks on basic filters that the skilling rate really slowed down (level 2.5 Mechanical Engineer), thats was the time to switch to standard dampers as it saved time and gave me a better skills/PED rate:
filters.jpg

This graph shows the number of skills I gained per 1000 clicks where the bottom (X) scale is my Mechanical Engineer level. The first half of the graph is on Basic Filters and at around level 2.7 I switched to Standard Dampers.

The graph says it all.

Gypsy

Not sure... but I haven't noticed anything special about having BPC.... maybe Im missing something... everyone says get BPC before you do anything else.... I just think thats silly and a waste of time....

But thats just me.... my results in my logs show pretty similar results with and without BPC.... maybe if I have huge amount of it, itd change... but atm I see nothing different.

I have definetly noticed the the SIB BPs do give a nice amount of extra skills.

Depending on which profession you want to skill in, there is a nice ladder of increasing TT/click BPs.

I would suggest looking at targets up the chain and see what you want to craft in the future as to decide where to start now.

For example, I wanted to target The chian of Simple Conductors, becuase they all have realtively low markup materials to craft.

So I started on the cheapest SIB BP for electronics which is Galaxy SI Conductors around 20pec per click.

I created charts for the component professions in a thread that can be found here:
sib-crafting-charts

The markup information is representative because it is not selfupdating like the entropedia, but its a good place to start.

JEHU

The graph says it all.

The graph says you get 25±10 green lines per 1000 clicks. That in no way shape or form counts as "all". It says nothing about TT volume gained, the influence of QR, the influence of your current skill set, or any correlations between skill gains, TT return or TT turnover.

Most old time players seem to forget, that a lot has changed in crafting. Basic filter may have been the way to go, especially when the MU for ressidue was still up at 140%, but today it is just a waste of time and PEDs.
Crafting something that gives you 105% MU is still better than crafting something that gives you none at all. Also the price for animal oils is lower than that of Lyst and Oil.

Most old time players seem to forget, that a lot has changed in crafting. Basic filter may have been the way to go, especially when the MU for ressidue was still up at 140%, but today it is just a waste of time and PEDs.
Crafting something that gives you 105% MU is still better than crafting something that gives you none at all. Also the price for animal oils is lower than that of Lyst and Oil.
So very true. You should never just start blind skilling with a BP just becouse a guide or "old" player says it's the thing to do. Do you home work, check MU on input as well as output on avalible BP's and pick the one with the best ratio.

In short, there are no shortcuts, you will allways do better if you use your own head then if you blindly follow others.

The graph says you get 25±10 green lines per 1000 clicks. That in no way shape or form counts as "all". It says nothing about TT volume gained, the influence of QR, the influence of your current skill set, or any correlations between skill gains, TT return or TT turnover.

Cherie's original question was when should someone new change recipie when grinding on Basic Filters towards BPC. The graph says level 2.5 Mechanical Engineer, that is all.

Cherie's original question was when should someone new change recipie when grinding on Basic Filters towards BPC. The graph says level 2.5 Mechanical Engineer, that is all.

How does the graph tell you that? And, as others have stated, why do you need to be 2.5 mech eng to change? why not sooner? The graph does not answer those questions.

A few ways when to know to move on:

A: You get bored of filters.
B: You've maxed your COS on filters and have high or near maxed on next step.
C: You can afford to.

I worked a basic sheet metal BP for 1 to 100 QR in 2 weeks too unlock BPC. Made a nice profit using that too. I was able to aquire mats chear via the order function on auction. It's not a bad bp at all.

Back